PDA

View Full Version : Argument Over Vin Scully and Marty Brennaman

RedhawkinLA
08-05-2012, 09:01 PM
hahha got into a legit argument at a bar today with a dodger fan. I said to my friend (not this stranger) that its a shame more people dont realize Marty Brennaman has been in the game for a long time with the reds and that he was MY VIN SCULLY.

drunk dodger fan went OFF on me hahahhah

just thought it was a funny thing today.

GO REDS!

Wonderful Monds
08-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Marty is pretty good and Reds fans are lucky to have had him around.

But he's no Vin Scully, and that's okay, because nobody really is either.

RedhawkinLA
08-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Marty is pretty good and Reds fans are lucky to have had him around.

But he's no Vin Scully, and that's okay, because nobody really is either.

He's MY Vin SCULLY which was the point..and it wasnt directed at said dodger fan, yet he was ready to go Brian Stowe on me

Maker_84
08-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Vin Scully is very good but still prefer Marty because he calls it like he sees it and doesnt hesitate to voice a different opinion while Scully is very laid back and mellow

Red Buckeye
08-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Having lived in L.A for about 5 years from 2004-2009 I listened to a lot of Vin Scully and I think they are both amazing, but for different reasons.

Scully is great because he really does try to keep the discussion about baseball and it's was extremely rare to hear him get off subject. He had a steady voice and just astonished with all the information he had. I swear the guy even at his old age must spend all of his free time doing baseball research.

He never stops and the fact he did it alone (I think he still does) was the presence that imo makes him a legend.

But like Maker 84 said he is very mellow and laid back (hard not to be when your living in the constant SoCal sunshine) and didn't seem to get upset much over poor play from the Dodgers.

That probably another thing that so many people love about Scully.

Marty at least for me gets an A+ for his vocal range, commanding voice, faboulous play calling detail, and last but not least his signature catch phrase when the Reds win.

And for me, NOTHING can top Marty's excitement when the Reds make a big play or win in a close 9th. His walk-off HR calls when the Reds win it in the ninth, especially when they are trailing in the ninth, have the ability to give me goose bumps.

I've heard the announcers for the Reds, Angels, Dodgers, Indians, Cubs, and White Sox radio announcers all a handful of times or more, and I can undoubtedly say Marty Brennaman's play calling is the best.

Red Buckeye
08-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Vin Scully is very good but still prefer Marty because he calls it like he sees it and doesnt hesitate to voice a different opinion while Scully is very laid back and mellow

Good example of this is in i believe 2007 when I remember hearing Marty declare "This bullpen is awful!!! And if they don't care why should we??!!

I might be wrong but I imagine some stations might have a problem if one of their broadcasters made a harsh statement like this. Most broadcasters would have a nicer way of saying this like "This bullpens really struggling right now".

But Hall Of Famer Marty Brennaman is Hall of Famer Marty Brennaman, and he can practicly say whatever he desires. And that is awesome!

Ironman92
08-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Vin is the legend.....but Marty will cuss out Brantley on air and call out Reds players.....

Ex....Chris Sabo was on 1st or 2nd (can't remember) and he stole to the next base....but it was already occupied lol and Marty said "that is the worst baserunning in the history of baseball" lol....Vin won't be doing that.

Maker_84
08-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Thats part of the reason that makes Marty great. Players need to be held accountable

Knightro28
08-06-2012, 02:38 AM
Even the phrase "MY VIN SCULLY" affirms Scully's greatness, although I get it. Marty Brennaman has sentimental value in many Reds fans' families as well.

joshua
08-06-2012, 02:52 AM
Good example of this is in i believe 2007 when I remember hearing Marty declare "This bullpen is awful!!! And if they don't care why should we??!!

I might be wrong but I imagine some stations might have a problem if one of their broadcasters made a harsh statement like this. Most broadcasters would have a nicer way of saying this like "This bullpens really struggling right now".

But Hall Of Famer Marty Brennaman is Hall of Famer Marty Brennaman, and he can practicly say whatever he desires. And that is awesome!

The best part is that Marty isn't employed by 700, he's employed by the Reds...that makes it even more amazing when he trashes bad play or talks bad about ownership. He calls it exactly like he sees it.

jwmann2
08-06-2012, 03:06 AM
There are a lot of great commentators in the Bigs. Harry Caray was obviously legendary. Bob Uecker is one of my favorites. But Vin Scully has held that position for 50 seasons. That's a lot of baseball.

BluegrassRedleg
08-06-2012, 05:36 AM
Not sure why anyone would get offended over that. Isn't it a compliment? :)

Like others have said, both are great in their own ways.