PDA

View Full Version : Where in the world is Lyle Overbay?

Mr.Redleg82
08-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Not a huge deal, just curious. Last I heard he was designated for assignment and the reds were trying to acquire him. I really like him off the bench as a LH, and prob only start him against righties. Anyone heard anything? I've searched MLB trade rumors and got nothing.

HometownHero
08-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Likely waiting for him to be released after the 10 days they have to trade him.

Mr.Redleg82
08-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Likely waiting for him to be released after the 10 days they have to trade him.

Ahhh, for some reason I thought it was only 3 days. Thank you. Wanted to say he was with Carmen San Diego but I held it back.

Dru4u73
08-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Just saw on MLB trade rumors that he was released. So I guess we will see if he lands anywhere now.

HometownHero
08-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Walt says we aren't even interested in him apparently

40YrRedsFan
08-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Walt says we aren't even interested in him apparently

We are heading into the 2nd week of August, and Walt has done nothing to address the offense. I don't know what he's waiting for. Plenty of other teams have addressed their weaknesses, why not us. He said before the trade deadline he wanted to improve the offense. After yesterday against Burnett, it
should have emphasized our offensive weakness, especially against right handers.

40YrRedsFan
08-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Another point; Walt says he doesn't want to trade away our top minor leaguers. My point is that we are in 1st place now and 'should' get into the playoffs. Why not get player(s) that can get us to the World Series now. You don't know what next year or the year after will bring. We could have major injuries or under perform badly and not even come close to the playoffs. Just my thoughts. What do you think?

HUHUH
08-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Another point; Walt says he doesn't want to trade away our top minor leaguers. My point is that we are in 1st place now and 'should' get into the playoffs. Why not get player(s) that can get us to the World Series now. You don't know what next year or the year after will bring. We could have major injuries or under perform badly and not even come close to the playoffs. Just my thoughts. What do you think?

Lyle Overbay gets us to the World Series?

mikemo14
08-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Agree with huhu. Punch and judy bat and limited to backing up Votto. Not worth the spot.

knuckleballah22
08-08-2012, 11:48 AM
lots of teams interested in overbay i believe

webbbj
08-08-2012, 11:56 AM
i dont know why we arent interested. he'd looks like a great pinch hit bat. obv he will never start but its better than cairo

40YrRedsFan
08-08-2012, 12:00 PM

I didn't mean Overbay in particular, just player or players to put us over the top.

webbbj
08-08-2012, 12:54 PM

every piece counts. theres a good chance we need a left handed pinch hit bat in the playoffs to get us a big hit and all we have is xavier paul. nothing against xavier paul but I'd prefer overbay to drive in runs off the bench.

Hillsdale87
08-08-2012, 03:03 PM
We are heading into the 2nd week of August, and Walt has done nothing to address the offense. I don't know what he's waiting for. Plenty of other teams have addressed their weaknesses, why not us. He said before the trade deadline he wanted to improve the offense. After yesterday against Burnett, it
should have emphasized our offensive weakness, especially against right handers.

Where specifically on offense do you want an upgrade? The Reds are elite offensively at 1b & 2b. LF has been elite since mid-May. As frustrating as Bruce is, he is well above average. Stubbs in CF is playing great right now. I don't know how long it will last, but he's put up great production. And 3B with Frazier and Rolen is now looking like a strength. Cozart is really the only piece that could be upgraded, but he's young and needs the experience, and there weren't any quality shortstops to trade for anyway. Outside of the last 3 games, the offense has not been an issue, even with Votto down.

BluegrassRedleg
08-08-2012, 09:21 PM
As frustrating as Bruce is, he is well above average..

Bruce's OWAR is 20th among MLB right fielders.

His OPS is 10th, behind guys like Alex Rios, Josh Reddick and Nick Markakis.

HometownHero
08-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Bruce in his last 75 games is hitting 56-for-257 .218, with 16 more K's than hits.

Hillsdale87
08-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Bruce in his last 75 games is hitting 56-for-257 .218, with 16 more K's than hits.

Point taken on Bruce. I may have exaggerated with him, but I don't see better alternatives available at most of the other positions. And Bruce is one of the least likely players to be replaced.

Bruce is just completely maddening. I knew that he had been struggling for awhile, but I had no idea it was quite that bad.

OGB
08-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Point taken on Bruce. I may have exaggerated with him, but I don't see better alternatives available at most of the other positions. And Bruce is one of the least likely players to be replaced.

Bruce is just completely maddening. I knew that he had been struggling for awhile, but I had no idea it was quite that bad.

Marty referred to him today as "the least productive four hole hitter in the game."

Hillsdale87
08-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Marty referred to him today as "the least productive four hole hitter in the game."

Yes, but he could then become the most productive four hole hitter in the game for the next 3 weeks before reverting back. Frustrating...

Bruce is actually probably the guy that I currently have the least confidence in. I feel more comfortable with Heisey, Ludwick, or Stubbs up now, but Bruce is the least likely to take a day off.