PDA

View Full Version : Photo of Dusty as a Kid

MartyFan
08-07-2012, 03:19 PM
SI has a photo series called "When Pro Athletes Were In Little League"

It includes this picture of Dusty.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1207/pro-athletes-in-little-league/content.2.html

redsmetz
08-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Greg Maddux was already collecting a paycheck when he was in Little League? And from the Cardinals?

Best non-baseball athlete shown? Michelle Wie! There was a girl who played a few years on a team my son played on and one of the opposing coaches detested it - he was just horrible (in fact, I think he forfeited one game, he found it so objectionable). When they finally did play them, she absolutely knocked the daylights out of the ball.

redsfan30
08-07-2012, 03:28 PM
No wonder he is always referencing Hank Aaron...he looks just like him in the face!

redsmetz
08-07-2012, 03:29 PM
No wonder he is always referencing Hank Aaron...he looks just like him in the face!

I thought so too.

redhawkfish
08-07-2012, 04:41 PM
BJ Upton and David Wright on the same Little League team? Yikes!

vaticanplum
08-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Best non-baseball athlete shown? Michelle Wie! There was a girl who played a few years on a team my son played on and one of the opposing coaches detested it - he was just horrible (in fact, I think he forfeited one game, he found it so objectionable). When they finally did play them, she absolutely knocked the daylights out of the ball.

She was a Little League MARLIN. So, that makes me feel pretty freaking old.

dabvu2498
08-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Payton Manning's cap is pretty fantastic.

westofyou
08-07-2012, 04:56 PM
She was a Little League MARLIN. So, that makes me feel pretty freaking old.

Wahh... VP feels old!!

My 1st little league team was the SENATORS... chew on that.

Brutus
08-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Sammy Sosa looked like he was 15 in Little League. Why does that not surprise me?

RichRed
08-07-2012, 05:10 PM

Mark Reynolds and Ryan Zimmerman were also in that league at the same time. Not bad.

VottoFan54
08-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Mark Reynolds and Ryan Zimmerman were also in that league at the same time. Not bad.

I think Reynolds, Zimmerman, Wright, Cuddyer, and both of the Upton brothers played in that league at around the same time

I found this article from a quick google search: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/24/AR2008102403369_2.html?sid=ST2008102403867

Upton, Wright and Cuddyer played for the Virginia Blasters, a local AAU team. They played against Zimmerman, a Virginia Beach native who played for the rival Tidewater Drillers. In high school, they played together for the Tidewater Mets, a traveling club team

RichRed
08-07-2012, 05:35 PM
I think Reynolds, Zimmerman, Wright, Cuddyer, and both of the Upton brothers played in that league at around the same time

I found this article from a quick google search: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/24/AR2008102403369_2.html?sid=ST2008102403867

I don't know what was in the water in the Va. Beach area in the mid-'80s/early '90s, but it sure wasn't there when I was a kid.

powersackers
08-07-2012, 05:35 PM
The Zach Grienke pic got me. Because any of us with kids has that exact same photo somewhere in the house. Is our boy the next 100M arm?

mattfeet
08-07-2012, 11:14 PM
CC Sabathia looks exactly the same. :lol:

cincinnati chili
08-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Wahh... VP feels old!!

My 1st little league team was the SENATORS... chew on that.

I think 62's was the Cleveland Spiders

lidspinner
08-08-2012, 08:50 AM

I wanna know who was playing SS on that team??? and where is he now??

RedFanAlways1966
08-08-2012, 09:15 AM
I wanna know who was playing SS on that team??? and where is he now??

I'd bet my house, cars and life-savings (total worth = about $25!)... it was the manager's son. The kid also made the All-Star team and started over Wright and Upton on that team. His mom was head of the concession stand and they never proved that should stole $327.62 from the stand (despite having 6 new pairs of the once popular Gloria Vanderbilt jeans the following autumn).

Rumor has it... the "kid" still lives at home and is on his 15th job since serving time for another DUI. Mom and Dad got divorced; therefore, he spends Wednesdays and every other weekend with Dad. Now starts and bats leadoff on the softball team that his Dad sponsers,

lidspinner
08-08-2012, 12:22 PM
I'd bet my house, cars and life-savings (total worth = about $25!)... it was the manager's son. The kid also made the All-Star team and started over Wright and Upton on that team. His mom was head of the concession stand and they never proved that should stole $327.62 from the stand (despite having 6 new pairs of the once popular Gloria Vanderbilt jeans the following autumn).

Rumor has it... the "kid" still lives at home and is on his 15th job since serving time for another DUI. Mom and Dad got divorced; therefore, he spends Wednesdays and every other weekend with Dad. Now starts and bats leadoff on the softball team that his Dad sponsers,

wow, glad to know he is not an ax murderer....or rapist or something....haha, good write up.

StillFunkyB
08-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Wow, I forgot how much Sean Burroughs liked cake.

VR
08-14-2012, 02:05 AM

You forgot to mention that he is a regular poster on RZ, where he regularly questions the manager because he's 'played the game a long time'

Crumbley
08-14-2012, 01:03 PM
You forgot to mention that he is a regular poster on RZ, where he regularly questions the manager because he's 'played the game a long time'
I played at the middle school level and have won the World Series in MLB The Show, All-Star Baseball, High Heat, and Out of the Park. I've been there and done that.