PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Fan Advisor Network

HotCorner
08-08-2012, 04:38 PM
The Pirates have announced the Pirates Fan Advisor Network. Seriously.

http://deadspin.com/5932990/fan-of-the-pittsburgh-pirates-prove-it-by-paying-them-money-to-join-their-stupid-fan-club

The Pittsburgh Pirates are at last contenders again, but they're still the Pittsburgh Pirates. They finally have fans excited again because they're actually winning. But they're still not above showing some degree of contempt for those fans by offering them something they're calling the Fan Advisor Network. And what is the Fan Advisor Network? Why, it's an exclusive chance to pay for the opportunity to feel like the team is taking you and your opinions on how the team ought to be run seriously. The image above is taken from the network's home page. Click to enlarge it. The whole idea—to say nothing of the timing—is so dumb it reads like a parody. But it is very, very real.

RedsManRick
08-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Interesting concept, but the fee is a dead giveaway about how seriously the team takes its fans' opinions. With Corporate Advisory Boards, the advisors aren't paying the corporation for the privilege of giving them advise. If they truly valued the fan input, they'd be paying for it -- or at best taking it for free. They certainly wouldn't make the fans pay even more to have a voice. Pretty insulting if you ask me.

vaticanplum
08-08-2012, 05:44 PM
The link has been updated; it's not *directly* affiliated with the Pirates, though the team has an agreement in place to listen to whatever feedback the paying fans provide.

The tweets in the link are pretty priceless.

This is pretty much the Pittsburghest Piratesest thing that's ever happened.

mdccclxix
08-08-2012, 05:54 PM
This ought to provide Bcubb2003 with 3 or 4 lines of material.

Chip R
08-08-2012, 05:59 PM
I dunno. That fleece jacket sounds pretty sweet. And it would be mine for $600.

RichRed
08-08-2012, 06:09 PM

Sounds like a PBS pledge drive. How much for the tote bag?

westofyou
08-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Dear Pirates fans, expect the Pirates to listen to you as much as the Penguins and Steelers listen to you.

jojo
08-09-2012, 05:16 AM
The reds have no need for this. Fay reads redszone and Jocketty reads Fay's column before making a move.

Much. More. Streamlined.

Vottomatic
08-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Walt doesn't make me pay every time he calls me for advice. ;) :D (I had to put smilies for those of you who thought I was serious)

Virginia Beach Reds
08-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Those tweets at the bottom are hilarious.

Big Klu
08-09-2012, 11:02 AM

At that price, it had better be made from the Golden Fleece.

Vottomatic
08-09-2012, 11:39 AM
If you read on down that page that is linked, the Pirates responded that they are in no way affiliated with that website.

vaticanplum
08-09-2012, 03:21 PM
As someone who listens to way more Pittsburgh sports talk radio than is healthy, I have to say it benefits us tremendously as Reds supporters if the Pirates are contractually obligated to listen to their fans. Hell, we should probably take up a RedsZone collection and buy one of those fleece memberships for their local talk show hosts.

RedFanAlways1966
08-09-2012, 03:34 PM
As someone who listens to way more Pittsburgh sports talk radio than is healthy, I have to say it benefits us tremendously as Reds supporters if the Pirates are contractually obligated to listen to their fans. Hell, we should probably take up a RedsZone collection and buy one of those fleece memberships for their local talk show hosts.

First advice we should offer... do not release JIMMY ANDERSON types b/c our GM might be dumb enough (not you, Walt!) to sign him as a free agent 1 month later.

:)

camisadelgolf
08-09-2012, 07:16 PM
First advice we should offer... do not release JIMMY ANDERSON types b/c our GM might be dumb enough (not you, Walt!) to sign him as a free agent 1 month later.

:)
Wow, I almost forgot about him. It's crazy to think how far the team has come since those days. The fact that Anderson got 7 starts as a Red really tells you something about the pitching in those days.

Yachtzee
08-10-2012, 01:55 AM
Those tweets at the bottom are hilarious.

"#DearPiratesFanAdvisor, have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

:laugh:

Somehow, I suspect PiratesFanAdvisor may like movies about gladiators.