PDA

View Full Version : Latos out after 7?

Ironman92
08-08-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm not arguing or bashing Dusty....just want other's thoughts.

To me this team really started kicking at the point when Dusty started staying with guys like Homer and Latos when he normally would've taken them out. He's trusted Cueto all year and Homer, Latos and both others more often than expected (except for Leake....he's pulled him every time but once when we figured)....today Latos thru 7 inn gave up only 3 hits and struck out 8...with 97 pitches. There is simply no was to know but Latos in the 8th and Chappy in the 9th was very possible.

Do you think the wear of innings on the starters played a role with the decision?

***Latos may have told Dusty he was gassed. (guessing not but you don't know)

I hope the wear of innings had a play in the decision....even though I don't agree.

Obviously if Broxton has better fortune this thread never happens....but I'm always a fan of the starter staying in when possible.

HometownHero
08-08-2012, 06:17 PM
They will go to Jonathan Broxton in that situation every time its the reason we got him.

BluegrassRedleg
08-08-2012, 06:26 PM
I think that one could have gone either way. Latos could have gone one more, but if you've got a guy like Broxton down there, that's the exact reason why.

jback76
08-08-2012, 06:57 PM
I would have left Latos in. But for the most part our pitching has been getting it done. This offense is what will hold this team back if anything. They don't hit a lot normally and when they're slumping they just flat out stink.

Maker_84
08-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Yes you have broxton there but no need to use him when Latos isnt struggling. bad move

cooperlamar
08-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I wondered myself why they took him out after 7. I think he only had about 97 pitches at that point. Still, Broxton has to be able to get that last out in the 8th.

Maker_84
08-08-2012, 07:12 PM
I wondered myself why they took him out after 7. I think he only had about 97 pitches at that point. Still, Broxton has to be able to get that last out in the 8th.

i really dont blame broxton too much, he shares the blame with Navarro.

Jdattilo
08-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Not going to win many scoring just two.

joshua
08-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I would have left Latos in. But for the most part our pitching has been getting it done. This offense is what will hold this team back if anything. They don't hit a lot normally and when they're slumping they just flat out stink.

Yep. I feel that having that hot streak right before the trade deadline and all the talk about "chemistry" caused us to not make a deal when we should have. This team needs more OBP.

cooperlamar
08-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Not going to win many scoring just two.

Agreed. This team is built to win a lot of games 4-3 and 3-1 but we're also going to lose a lot by the same score unfortunately.

Red Raindog
08-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Agreed. This team is built to win a lot of games 4-3 and 3-1 but we're also going to lose a lot by the same score unfortunately.

We really needed Bruce to step up but he drove in a total of 9 whole runs in July and 11 since the AS game

Not saying he bears all the blame but he's collecting a bunch of money to be one of the anchors for this team..

BluegrassRedleg
08-08-2012, 09:04 PM
i really dont blame broxton too much, he shares the blame with Navarro.

I don't really blame either of them. You had a fluke with the "swinging bunt" and a couple of flares. There's nothing that would have changed the outcome IMO.

Ironman92
08-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Ugh....looks like Latos wanted to keep going.

justincredible
08-08-2012, 10:46 PM
I probably would've left Latos in, but if not I'd have gone with Marshall over Broxton.

HometownHero
08-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Broxton got the first two guys before things starting falling in, if we want to take any issue I would say it would be not bringing in Chapman after the throwing error and go for a 4 out save.

Krawhitham
08-09-2012, 01:42 AM
I'm not arguing or bashing Dusty....just want other's thoughts.

To me this team really started kicking at the point when Dusty started staying with guys like Homer and Latos when he normally would've taken them out. He's trusted Cueto all year and Homer, Latos and both others more often than expected (except for Leake....he's pulled him every time but once when we figured)....today Latos thru 7 inn gave up only 3 hits and struck out 8...with 97 pitches. There is simply no was to know but Latos in the 8th and Chappy in the 9th was very possible.

Do you think the wear of innings on the starters played a role with the decision?

***Latos may have told Dusty he was gassed. (guessing not but you don't know)

I hope the wear of innings had a play in the decision....even though I don't agree.

Obviously if Broxton has better fortune this thread never happens....but I'm always a fan of the starter staying in when possible.

I got no problem with the move, Broxton gets the job done 95% of the time, you have to keep your starters strong for the post season

craftylefty
08-09-2012, 03:09 AM
broxton didnt really even get hit all that hard the brewers really just got lucky

mivers176
08-09-2012, 09:42 AM
My take was that even though the hits were a bit 'luck', we dont have to go with a by the book approach and pre determine the 8-9th inn.

Latos had 97 pitches, was dominating the whole game & had the bottom of the order coming up in the 8th. 97 low stress pitches at that. The Brewers were never threatening really or making him pitch with runners on.

Therefore, if there is a time to leave your starter in, why not there? most likely he was going to pick up another k or 2 in the 8th and shut them down.

I could see the move for sure if Latos was struggling a bit, walked a few and was pitching out of trouble throughout the game but that was never the case.

I dont think leaving him in for a 105-110 pitch outing was really going to take away from what he has left in the tank come playoff time ...

*hindsight*

Brisco
08-09-2012, 11:39 AM
My take was that even though the hits were a bit 'luck', we dont have to go with a by the book approach and pre determine the 8-9th inn.

Latos had 97 pitches, was dominating the whole game & had the bottom of the order coming up in the 8th. 97 low stress pitches at that. The Brewers were never threatening really or making him pitch with runners on.

Therefore, if there is a time to leave your starter in, why not there? most likely he was going to pick up another k or 2 in the 8th and shut them down.

I could see the move for sure if Latos was struggling a bit, walked a few and was pitching out of trouble throughout the game but that was never the case.

I dont think leaving him in for a 105-110 pitch outing was really going to take away from what he has left in the tank come playoff time ...

*hindsight*

Latos has only pitched into the 8th inning 4 times in his 23 starts. He has been pulled after 7 even when he had not given up a run. I think the are being extra careful with him for some reason. If Arroyo had been pitching and thus situation arose, I think they would have kept him in.

P.E.R#14
08-09-2012, 12:50 PM
If the bullpen was in shambles I may agree to keep Latos in the ball game. However, with the best bullpen in the bigs and a 24 year old who may pitch more innings this year in the regular season then ever before, you pull him. We need his arm for at least four post-season starts, right?! ;)

Stray
08-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Even in hindsight I don't mind the move. He gave up a swinging bunt, a soft liner off of the hands, and a blooper off of the end of the bat. Nothing they hit was squared up or even close to it.

When that happens you just gotta deal with it. He didn't make bad pitches.

Ironman92
08-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Latos has only pitched into the 8th inning 4 times in his 23 starts. He has been pulled after 7 even when he had not given up a run. I think the are being extra careful with him for some reason. If Arroyo had been pitching and thus situation arose, I think they would have kept him in.

Well....it was his 5th most efficient game he has pitched all year. 13 times he has thrown more pitches and 8 times this season 108+ pitches. Several times earlier in the year he would be permitted to labor for 6 inn and 110 pitches.

Again, I really don't have a problem with going to Broxton...but I feel the Reds got going when the starters pitched until they were tired.....and Latos was ready for the 8th. I like Latos wanting to go back out to battle but I don't mind Dusty going to Broxton....as long as it's to keep Latos fresh for the playoffs.

mivers176
08-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Yeah either way- I guess Dusty couldnt go wrong w/ either move really - like others have said, doesnt really matter when you cant muster more than 2 runs. Just too many LOB just like we have seen quite a bit other than the recent run of W's.

I'm worried about this team's streakiness- if our bats arent extremely hot going into playoff time we may be in trouble.