PDA

View Full Version : Memorabilia

Slyder
08-09-2012, 02:39 PM
My dad just went through a garage and came across some interesting things. A complete set of World Champions Mugs and Pennants.

Two questions:

1) Can you clean old pennants with anything at all? They have some dust on them from being in a garage.

2) Is there much value on a complete set of the world series mugs?

19braves77
08-09-2012, 06:34 PM
My dad just went through a garage and came across some interesting things. A complete set of World Champions Mugs and Pennants.

Two questions:

1) Can you clean old pennants with anything at all? They have some dust on them from being in a garage.

Try a lint roller with the pennant.

With the mugs, let them ride on Ebay. Someone will want them for their man cave.

Reds Nd2
08-09-2012, 11:20 PM

How old is the pennant? Depending on how valuable it is, you may be better off not doing anything to it. A dusty, dirty, or stained pennant will be worth more than one that was damaged in an attempt to clean it.

The lint roller may make it fuzz up and whatever you do, don't toss it in the washing machine. If your careful, you might be able to clean it with a dust buster. Just don't let it get sucked up into the dust buster.

If you do decide to clean it, my advice would be to try your chosen cleaning method on another disposable pennant made of the same material first. Good luck.

I'm curious, what W.S are the mugs from and are the pennants also from the W.S?

Reds Nd2
08-09-2012, 11:27 PM
You also might try patting it down with a dryer sheet. That should remove any loose dust. But again, try it on another pennant (made with the same material) that you don't care about first.

moewan
08-10-2012, 01:44 PM
The worst thing you can do to an antique is clean it.

dougdirt
08-10-2012, 03:11 PM
The worst thing you can do to an antique is clean it.

Not really. You shouldn't try to restore it, but cleaning it? Yeah, you can do that. That is like saying don't dust your furniture. That is silly, of course you should.

Reds Nd2
08-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Not really. You shouldn't try to restore it, but cleaning it? Yeah, you can do that. That is like saying don't dust your furniture. That is silly, of course you should.

If someone doesn't know what they are doing, they can destroy the value of an antique by cleaning it. Even cans of furniture polish and carpet cleaner suggest that you first test in an inconspicuous area.

The worst thing you can do to an antique is destroy the patina.

Slyder
08-11-2012, 12:56 AM
If someone doesn't know what they are doing, they can destroy the value of an antique by cleaning it. Even cans of furniture polish and carpet cleaner suggest that you first test in an inconspicuous area.

The worst thing you can do to an antique is destroy the patina.

I don't think theres anything really that old, it seems to be largely easily reproduced stuff like photos of the key members of the BRM (Rose, Bench, Griffey Sr, etc) nothing really awe striking like signatures. The pennants seem to be rather run of the mill stuff. The only exception to it was one that had all the 1990 Reds "signatures" on it.

Slyder
08-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Photo of some of the stuff. I will go into further detail in another post want to get everything posted for detail.

Slyder
08-14-2012, 02:23 AM
Stuff 2.

Slyder
08-14-2012, 02:37 AM
Final one.

George Anderson
08-14-2012, 11:04 AM
The pics of the BRM infield and Foster, Geronimo and Griffey are cool. I have never seen them before and I thought I had seen them all.

goreds2
08-14-2012, 12:38 PM
With the mugs, let them ride on Ebay. Someone will want them for their man cave.

http://packagetalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/horshack3.jpg

Reds Nd2
08-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Stuff 2.

The pennant with Mr. Redlegs and the tassles is interesting. Is that made of of wool or felt? Is that pin stuck in it or just laying on top?

I think it's jpg number five.

Reds Nd2
08-14-2012, 02:11 PM
After looking at the photos, I believe I would skip the cleaning. No sense taking a chance and it won't really help the value that much any way. If your just wanting to clean them up for yourself, another thing you might try is distilled water and a slightly damp, lint free cloth. Pat the pennants though, don't wipe them. Avoid using stain cleaners like you would avoid bunting with two strikes.

If you do decide to clean them, how about posting up your method and results. I'd be interested in how it turned out.

cumberlandreds
08-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Those mugs look nice. I would like those.

Slyder
08-15-2012, 10:20 AM
The pennant with Mr. Redlegs and the tassles is interesting. Is that made of of wool or felt? Is that pin stuck in it or just laying on top?

I think it's jpg number five.

Its a pin thats been stuck in it. I haven't taken it out yet because I dont know what I want to do with them yet.

The Wheeler Stuff I thought about calling the park and seeing if they would be interested in looking at it. They've framed and hung similar stuff around the office building and park of stuff like that before. I doubt it would have much value outside of the immediate area.

Reds Nd2
08-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Its a pin thats been stuck in it. I haven't taken it out yet because I dont know what I want to do with them yet.

The Wheeler Stuff I thought about calling the park and seeing if they would be interested in looking at it. They've framed and hung similar stuff around the office building and park of stuff like that before. I doubt it would have much value outside of the immediate area.

Unless the pin is showing signs of rust, I'd just leave the pin in it. There will be a hole in the pennant when you take it out. That can't be fixed, but would be preferable to rust stains on your pennant.

You'd be suprised. Ebay has made everywhere an immediate area. Probably five to ten dollars on the Wheeler items to a collector. Calling the park is a great idea. If you decide to sell your items and don't want to go the Ebay route, contact some of the local auction houses. You also might try offering them up here on RedsZone. You already have some interest in the mugs.

moewan
08-16-2012, 10:41 AM
The little models of Crosley Field are pretty cool.

S.Wells
08-16-2012, 01:11 PM
How much for all of it as is? Send me a message please if your going to be selling.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Slyder
08-16-2012, 11:18 PM
How much for all of it as is? Send me a message please if your going to be selling.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I need to talk to my bro in law first. I will keep you all updated if any of it is going to be sold.

redsmetz
08-21-2012, 12:39 PM
On the mugs, what info is on the bottom of them? It looks like it was a set put out after the '76 Series win and before the 1990 season. I can find out more from the info on the bottom. I look for this sort of stuff at yard sales and such to resell, so I'm generally able to track down some history on them.

I actually just bought a book "written" by Willie Mays that is signed. I'm probably going to actually get a Certificate of Authenticity to up the value. I've picked up various bobbleheads and such too.