PDA

View Full Version : Is Chapman in the Cy Young race?

WDE
08-12-2012, 09:36 PM
I saw them talking on Sunday Night Baseball about whether Chapman and Kimbrel are in the Cy Young race, and the analysts were saying that they think they are because not only are they having extrordinary seasons, but there isn't a starting pitcher who is completely dominating this year. Do you guys think Chapman has a shot at the Cy Young this year?

Maker_84
08-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Yes

Mr.Redleg82
08-12-2012, 09:48 PM
No doubt might set records in K/9 and % of batters he strikes out.

WDE
08-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Now let me ask another question: with all bias aside, if the season ended today, would he win it?

jhiller21
08-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Now let me ask another question: with all bias aside, if the season ended today, would he win it?

It's been a while since a reliever has won it, but with these numbers, yes.

The guy is absolutely dominating this year, and I think he should remain the closer.

As a starter he would need to take a little off his fastball, and add at least a third pitch. As closer he can come in throwing 100 with the occasional slider, and blow hitters away.

Ironman92
08-12-2012, 10:05 PM
He keeps up what he's doing and the big shot starters don't blow anyone away.....

K Rod had 62 saves and didn't win.

He is top 5 right now....as is Cueto

rgslone
08-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Yes, if he can wrestle it from Cueto. Oh, I forgot - according to a number of posters Cueto isn't an Ace.

Captain13
08-13-2012, 08:18 AM
He can't win. The Cy Young voters have never voted for a Red, no matter how dominant. No Seaver, no Soto, no Rijo...NO REDS, ever.

EMAW
08-13-2012, 08:40 AM
his ERA against the National League is absolutely ridiculous (best ever???)
if the Reds when the Central and he keeps this up, CY Young and possible MVP

jback76
08-13-2012, 08:42 AM

If the season ended today probably not. But we have 47 games left. I think even with any strikeout records he'd have to lead the league in saves. But I think he'll end up leading the league in saves, the Reds play a lot of low scoring close games.

jback76
08-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Anybody else getting the "we don't like young men, we want you" ad above or is that ad just following me around web page to web page?

BungleBengals
08-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Cy Young is given to the best pitcher in the league. In terms of most valuable pitcher, I think Chapman should be up there.

What is more valuable than a near perfect 9th inning in a close game? The guy has 28 saves. That is 28 wins that he has sealed for a first place team that is contending for best record in the MLB.

What I think is amazing is looking at the strikeout number amongst the Reds pitching staff. For strikeouts, Latos and Cueto are leading with 130 and 127 respectively and 141 and 161 innings pitched respectively. However, Chapman is at 106 SO's with only 57 innings pitched. That is nearly 2 strikeouts an inning. Also, his overall batting average against is .127 which is more than 100 points lower than Cueto's.

Don't get me wrong, Cueto is a great SP and should be up there in Cy Young, but I think this team would be in 2nd maybe 3rd place in the Central if not for Chapman doing his thing in the 9th, which I think makes him not only the most valuable pitcher in the Reds staff, but also, in the league as well.

Biff Pocoroba
08-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Even with the three consecutive saves over the weekend, Chapman is tied for sixth in the majors in saves. So no, I'd say he's definitely not in the Cy Young race.

stripedwarrior
08-13-2012, 12:24 PM
I would say in the conversation, but not at the top.
I think Cueto and Chapman will split some of the votes, vs. all going to a dominant pitcher on the team. This will prevent either from winning. IF things stay as they are now, Dickey wins, and wins comfortably.
My guess at the vote, right now:
1. Dickey
2. Cueto
3/4. Burnett/Gonzalez
5. Chapman
6. Kimbrel

P.E.R#14
08-13-2012, 01:00 PM
his ERA against the National League is absolutely ridiculous (best ever???)
if the Reds when the Central and he keeps this up, CY Young and possible MVP

I was going to ask whether or not NL vs. AL numbers would be considered for the Cy Young voting, and you touched upon the NL numbers.

Vs. NL 4-1, 0.17 ERA, 26/27 Saves, 51.2 IP, 18 Hits, 1 ER, 0 HR, Opp Avg .104, 13 BB, 99 K

These are INSANE...but like I'm asking, do the NL numbers mean anything in the Cy Young voting? I lean towards no.

webbbj
08-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, Cueto is a great SP and should be up there in Cy Young, but I think this team would be in 2nd maybe 3rd place in the Central if not for Chapman doing his thing in the 9th, which I think makes him not only the most valuable pitcher in the Reds staff, but also, in the league as well.

Chapman's numbers are off the charts in terms of K/9, opponents BA, WHIP etc. Hes the most amazing pitcher to watch.

But he still has 4 blown saves. The leader in blown saves has a total of 8. Just by that metric were still in 1st.

Now he was a setup guy earlier in the year and has got some games he recoreded 4-5 outs.

And that production probably does slip us out of 1st.

But if we eliminated Chap from the Pen, its still a strong pen and who ever we decided to use as closer and set up would not yield the worst closer in the game.

Inning for inning hes probably puting the greatest season together ever for a pitcher but he only gonna pitch about 80 innings is the problem for me in regards to him getting the CYA.

krm1580
08-13-2012, 02:26 PM
I think he is in the race, but if the season ended today, taking off my Red colored glasses I don't see any way he wins it.

Consider there have been only (2) Cy Young award winning relief pitchers since 1990. Éric Gagné in 2003 and Dennis Eckersley in 1992. Both had staggering numbers, 50+ saves and a combined 1 blown save. Also in their favor was the fact that there were no really dominant starting pitcher seasons.

Right now RA Dickey ranks #1, #4 & #1 in the triple crown stats of Wins, ERA and Ks. If he keeps it up and wins 20+ games, he will pretty much be a lock.

You could also make the argument that Kimbrel is having a better season than Chapman. He is either equal to or better than Chapman in every category except Ks. He also has only blown 2 saves to Chapmans 4.

He can win it but he needs to keep doing what he is doing and hope the wheels come off for some of the other guys. One other thing is there is some guy named Cueto leading the league in Wins and WAR while 3rd in ERA pitching in a launching pad. He might be a better bet.

Krawhitham
08-13-2012, 02:54 PM
I saw them talking on Sunday Night Baseball about whether Chapman and Kimbrel are in the Cy Young race, and the analysts were saying that they think they are because not only are they having extrordinary seasons, but there isn't a starting pitcher who is completely dominating this year. Do you guys think Chapman has a shot at the Cy Young this year?

No, I do not think the voters will even look at a closer unless they have 50-60 saves. Plus you have Craig Kimbrel with a lower WHIP with the same ERA and half as many blown saves. Those two closers will cancel each other out in the voter's minds and they will vote for a starter.

Plus having Johnny Cueto on the same team will cost Chapman votes, Johnny has the best WAR for a pitcher in the NL(by a fair amount 5.3 VS 4.4 + 3rd place is 3.7), he is 1st in Wins, & 3rd in ERA

Krawhitham
08-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Even with the three consecutive saves over the weekend, Chapman is tied for sixth in the majors in saves. So no, I'd say he's definitely not in the Cy Young race.

But he is 3rd in the NL only only 5 behind Joel Hanrahan who has a .9 WAR VS Chapman's 3.0

WDE
08-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Well lookie here. Looks like ESPN reads RedsZone!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/8265725/the-case-aroldis-chapman-winning-national-league-cy-young-award

Biff Pocoroba
08-14-2012, 02:31 PM
But he is 3rd in the NL only only 5 behind Joel Hanrahan who has a .9 WAR VS Chapman's 3.0

Yes, but the point is that a reliever needs record-breaking numbers in terms of saves to have a chance at the Cy Young. I just can't see the voters overlooking the fact that Chapman won't even have the most saves this season.

BungleBengals
08-14-2012, 02:50 PM

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/8265725/the-case-aroldis-chapman-winning-national-league-cy-young-award

You know we are good if ESPN gives us some love. They do their best to avoid Cincinnati all the time.

jback76
08-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Yes, but the point is that a reliever needs record-breaking numbers in terms of saves to have a chance at the Cy Young. I just can't see the voters overlooking the fact that Chapman won't even have the most saves this season.

There was a point a month or so back that Chapman was like 13 or 14 saves behind the leader. I think he's going to catch and pass the leader in saves within the next month and a half.

OGB
08-15-2012, 12:35 PM
He can't win. The Cy Young voters have never voted for a Red, no matter how dominant. No Seaver, no Soto, no Rijo...NO REDS, ever.

This is a silly notion. It's like the people that said Andy Dalton wouldn't be a good pro because no redheaded QB had ever succeeded in the NFL.

Maker_84
08-15-2012, 12:37 PM
i think they should take into account that Chapman didnt become a closer until a month after the season began or else he would be leading the majors in saves

Trajinous
08-15-2012, 12:46 PM
This is a silly notion. It's like the people that said Andy Dalton wouldn't be a good pro because no redheaded QB had ever succeeded in the NFL.

Well...that's because people without souls can't succeed!(joke...my best friend's a redhead)

Chapman is great and glad to see him be consistent. For a reliever, it takes near perfection to win the Cy Young and Chapman's 4 blown saves during a bad stretch will kick him out of the running.

BungleBengals
08-15-2012, 01:04 PM
I wonder if the voters take into consideration the publicy and excitement that the candidates bring to their teams.

I do not know much about Kimbrel, but when Chapman is going in, you will know it. He electrifies the stadium and the crowd loves him. Even at away games, you can see the opposing fans taking pictures and video of him. Plus ESPN is showing him attention and they hate Cincy, now that is saying something.

I still think a SP deserves the award right now, but I do not think it is outside the realm of possibility that Chapman can get it if he goes on a crazy streak or something.

Josh
08-15-2012, 02:04 PM

Wow that guy puts up a great case!!