PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis Colts discussion

redsfanmia
08-13-2012, 05:37 PM
I know there is a handful of Colts fans on here so lets discuss. I think this season is going to be very interesting, I expect 5-6 wins and I think Luck will show many flashes. I am looking forward to seeing how Coach Pagano changes around the defense.

gilpdawg
08-13-2012, 09:34 PM
I've been thinking 6 wins. I think the rookies all looked ok in the Rams game, I know it's only preseason but it looks like the early returns are that it's a strong draft even past Luck. We haven't had a good draft in years so that's a good sign for the future. 2 or 3 good drafts and this team is right back on top.

Joseph
08-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Good luck to you guys. I don't want to see a pre-Manning era Colts franchise again.

BungleBengals
08-14-2012, 12:45 PM
I am guessing maybe 7 wins. They are playing a 4th place schedule, plus they are in an easy division with winnable games against Jags and Titans. I would expect Luck to have similar numbers to Dalton last year, but nothing too spectacular like Cam Newton did.

Overall, I predict a solid season and flashes of a bright future for a new young team.

Josh
08-15-2012, 03:12 PM
I will be more then happy if we win 7 games this season. Luck looked good sunady but not all games are going to be easy or preseaon games but I am excited about Pagano and Arians running things.

redsfanmia
08-15-2012, 05:56 PM
I will be more then happy if we win 7 games this season. Luck looked good sunady but not all games are going to be easy or preseaon games but I am excited about Pagano and Arians running things.

It would be better if the colts were 3-13 and get another high draft class.

Josh
08-15-2012, 06:02 PM
It would be better if the colts were 3-13 and get another high draft class.

I wouldnt be against that either, maybe pick up another WR Wayne is getting a little age on him.

fearofpopvol1
08-16-2012, 02:17 AM
I'm guessing 5 wins, but could see 6 too. I also wouldn't be shocked if they won less or even more than that, as they have a pretty easy schedule. The Colts will have a pretty good offense, but their O-line is going to be overmatched and the defense isn't going to be all that great. Should be interesting!

Razor Shines
08-18-2012, 11:09 AM
I haven't been this excited for a season in a while. I agree 5-7 wins is where they'll end up, but it's gonna be something new and it's gonna be cool to see them grow. I wouldn't be upset with 3-13 either.

I'd be cool with Denver winning a couple championships in the mean time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fearofpopvol1
08-18-2012, 08:26 PM
I haven't been this excited for a season in a while. I agree 5-7 wins is where they'll end up, but it's gonna be something new and it's gonna be cool to see them grow. I wouldn't be upset with 3-13 either.

My thoughts exactly.

Josh
08-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Nice to see Luck bounce back last night and lead a couple of nice drives after the interceptions although the last one was not on him at all. This team might suprise some people this year we dont look to bad on both sides of the ball.

The Closer
08-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Really love what I'm seeing from my Colts. Luck is going to be as great as we all thought and give us a new running option at QB. Love how the new coaching staff has brought in an aggressive physical toughness to both sides of the ball. Really concerned with Collie getting what appears to be another concussion oh, might be time to think of your life and future and call it a career sadly. Imagine what Luck could have done this year with Garcon,Clark and Tamme!

fearofpopvol1
08-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Really love what I'm seeing from my Colts. Luck is going to be as great as we all thought and give us a new running option at QB. Love how the new coaching staff has brought in an aggressive physical toughness to both sides of the ball. Really concerned with Collie getting what appears to be another concussion oh, might be time to think of your life and future and call it a career sadly. Imagine what Luck could have done this year with Garcon,Clark and Tamme!

They should groom Collie now sort of like they did with Marvin Harrison. Send him on out routes. Anytime he gets tackled in the middle of the field, the guy gets a concussion. It's a shame, because he seems like a tough guy.

redsfanmia
09-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Very sad to see Justin Snow get cut, I can't remember one bad snap in the 12+years he was here.

redsfanmia
09-09-2012, 04:58 PM
After watching 3+ quarters of the first game, I think my 6 win prediction is high. The defense will be a struggle all season and the offensive line is terrible. I think 3 wins is more realistic.

fearofpopvol1
09-10-2012, 02:44 AM
After watching 3+ quarters of the first game, I think my 6 win prediction is high. The defense will be a struggle all season and the offensive line is terrible. I think 3 wins is more realistic.

It's too early to say IMO. The Bears are literally one of the best teams in football. Colts have lots of injuries too. But your point about the defense and the O-Line is accurate. 6 may be ambitious, but I think they'll win 4-5.

I think Luck had a pretty decent debut, even though he had too many turnovers this week. Donald Brown needs to learn how to catch a short pass for crying outloud too.

redsfanmia
09-10-2012, 08:53 PM
It's too early to say IMO. The Bears are literally one of the best teams in football. Colts have lots of injuries too. But your point about the defense and the O-Line is accurate. 6 may be ambitious, but I think they'll win 4-5.

I think Luck had a pretty decent debut, even though he had too many turnovers this week. Donald Brown needs to learn how to catch a short pass for crying outloud too.

I think they will get better as the season goes along but I don't think Anthony Munoz is coming back from injury to fix the O-line play. Vontea Davis for a high 2nd round pick looks like a terrible deal for the Colts, he doesn't look like he can play at all.

Revering4Blue
09-10-2012, 09:19 PM
The Colts signed OL Trai Essex, who was part of two Super Bowl-winning teams in Pittsburgh. Not a cure-all, I know.

What also concerns me is the lack of a pass rush--Freeney must stay healthy. But we all knew that we were in for a rebuilding year.

Razor Shines
09-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Some how, some way my DVR of the game was cancelled, so for the first time in a long time I missed a Colts game. How did Luck look? I've heard mixed reports but I remember Peyton's first season and I know people who were angry we didn't draft Leaf.

fearofpopvol1
09-11-2012, 02:17 AM
I think they will get better as the season goes along but I don't think Anthony Munoz is coming back from injury to fix the O-line play. Vontea Davis for a high 2nd round pick looks like a terrible deal for the Colts, he doesn't look like he can play at all.

Keep in mind, they have a pretty easy schedule this season. Doesn't mean they'll win all those games, but they're playing a lot of bad teams this year.

fearofpopvol1
09-11-2012, 02:19 AM
Some how, some way my DVR of the game was cancelled, so for the first time in a long time I missed a Colts game. How did Luck look? I've heard mixed reports but I remember Peyton's first season and I know people who were angry we didn't draft Leaf.

When you consider that Luck played against 1 of the best defenses in the game, I thought he looked pretty good. Threw too many picks obviously, but he made some nice throws. He was rushed a little much and the Colts need to O-Line help badly. I'd say he needs another WR to throw to and a better catching RB too.

gilpdawg
09-17-2012, 01:01 AM

You know, that reminds me. I was actually at Manning's first regular season game. Oddly enough I haven't been to a game since. Might try to hit one this year. But, at that game, at halftime they announced out of town scores, and the Chargers were winning. A lot of people were like, "told you we should have taken Leaf." Bet those people won't admit that now. Something about Leaf didn't sit right with me before the draft, but a lot of fans wanted him over Peyton.

RANDY IN INDY
09-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Was at the game yesterday. Exciting game. Luck has no protection. Hope he doesn't get hurt. The offensive line is weak.

Revering4Blue
09-17-2012, 10:45 PM
A Colts win and losses by both the Patriots and the Ratbirds.

:beerme:

fearofpopvol1
09-21-2012, 01:43 AM
I think the Colts have a good chance of winning this weekend against the Jags.

redsfanmia
09-23-2012, 03:36 PM
I am beginning to think 2012 Andrew Luck is better than 2012 Peyton Manning. Luck is something special.

Revering4Blue
09-23-2012, 03:38 PM
I am beginning to think 2012 Andrew Luck is better than 2012 Peyton Manning. Luck is something special.

I agree. As awesome as Manning was as a Colt for many years, it's nice to have a QB who can actually scramble for a first down as a bonus.

Razor Shines
09-23-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm pretty happy with the Colts. Luck looks good, but they're bad enough that they'll still get a top 5 pick next year. Jacksonville is lucky they play the Colts, they might not have any wins otherwise.

redsfanmia
09-23-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm pretty happy with the Colts. Luck looks good, but they're bad enough that they'll still get a top 5 pick next year. Jacksonville is lucky they play the Colts, they might not have any wins otherwise.

I agree, the young guys are solid and will improve through the year and the Colts also have like 40 million in cap room next year. I think this will be a short rebuild.

fearofpopvol1
09-24-2012, 02:43 AM
I am beginning to think 2012 Andrew Luck is better than 2012 Peyton Manning.

I'm not willing to go that far yet, but I think it's definitely fair to say that the Manning of 2012 isn't the Manning of 2010 or earlier. I thought Manning looked quite good today, it's just his O-Line couldn't handle the Texans and the defense wasn't very good either.

I'd go on further to say that the Colts made the right call with letting Manning go and not paying him the big bucks.

UKFlounder
10-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Here's some shocking news. Hopefully he recovers very quickly and it is gone forever

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8447831/indianapolis-colts-coach-chuck-pagano-leukemia-sources-say

Sea Ray
10-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Here's some shocking news. Hopefully he recovers very quickly and it is gone forever

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8447831/indianapolis-colts-coach-chuck-pagano-leukemia-sources-say

That is shocking. I don't know what kind he has but generally with adults it's never simply treated and gone forever. He'll probably always have it unless he undergoes a bone marrow transplant.

fearofpopvol1
10-07-2012, 05:51 PM
A star was born today. Andrew Luck showed today why he was the #1 pick. Not only did he make big throws, but he rushed for tough yards and took big hits. Looking forward to his hopefully long career! What a game!! Go Colts!!

Razor Shines
10-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Damnit, Luck is gonna lift them from suckfest to mediocre all by himself and instead of a top 5 pick it'll be 10-15.

redsfanmia
10-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Damnit, Luck is gonna lift them from suckfest to mediocre all by himself and instead of a top 5 pick it'll be 10-15.

My thoughts exactly, its better to be 4-12 than 7-9. Luck is a good qb now but his future is just wow.

fearofpopvol1
10-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Colts actually have a remarkably easy schedule this season. Other than the game with New England and 2 with Houston, the Colts could feasibly win any of the other remaining games.

Razor Shines
10-07-2012, 10:55 PM
That's why I think they'll win 6 or 7 games. They lost to the Jags already they could just as easily lose any of there remaining games as win them.

Razor Shines
10-14-2012, 11:04 PM
That was a rough one. Injuries didn't help but Ryan has made a lot of Qbs look bad.

fearofpopvol1
10-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Luck was shut down today. If it wasn't his worst game, it was his second game. But it sure didn't help that the offensive line collapsed. I really thought the Colts needed to invest in a lineman during the last draft.

What's more concerning is just how putrid the Colts rush defense is. 250+ yards? Are you kidding me? I know it's always been an issue, but the d-line is just unbearable. When the opposing team is rushing for more than 7 yards a carry, why even throw it? And the Jets barely did because there was no reason to.

fearofpopvol1
10-28-2012, 11:44 PM
I thought Luck looked good today. He did have that one interception, but I thought he made some great throws today. Was happy to see him get his first road win.

Gotta get him some O-Line help though. He can't continue to be under duress nearly every play.

gilpdawg
10-29-2012, 01:01 AM
I thought Luck looked good today. He did have that one interception, but I thought he made some great throws today. Was happy to see him get his first road win.

Gotta get him some O-Line help though. He can't continue to be under duress nearly every play.

This team is just some trench guys and some secondary guys away from being a good team. Right now they are a good "bad" team if you know what I mean. If not for RG3 you'd be hearing about Luck constantly. Of course the AFC is so bad this year they could actually make the playoffs anyway.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

thatcoolguy_22
10-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Looking at the rest of the schedule and the way the Colts are improving every game, I can see them making the playoffs. The AFC is putrid this year and the Colts have already stolen a couple games they probably should have lost (granted they gave away the JAX game), but I don't think 5-4 to finish the year is out of the realm of possibility. Come the offseason they better be looking at offensive lineman though...

thatcoolguy_22
11-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Anyone watching the Colts and Dolphins game? Luck has made a couple throws already that have been all world. This kid is good already with the chance to be incredible. wow

thatcoolguy_22
11-04-2012, 03:53 PM
273 yards 1 TD 0 Int in the first half AND Hilton dropped a wide open hit in stride TD in the endzone from about the 40. If that was caught we would have saw Luck with over 300 yards and 2 td's in the first half. This kid is doing all of this with pressure in his face on almost every throw. Incredible game so far

Razor Shines
11-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Wow. That kid is amazing. For me this was a game that I thought would show whether or not we had a shot at the playoffs. Honestly I didn't expect the Colts to win this one. I guess I was wrong a few weeks ago in thinking that 9-10 wins was out of the realm of possibility.

Razor Shines
11-09-2012, 01:47 AM

As I said I was more excited for this season than I've been in a while and now I've enjoyed this season as much or more than any other season in a while. This is the first time in probably 10 years where the Colts have exceeded my expectations of them going into a season. Sure they could lose 6 out of 7 and end up where we thought they would but I really think they are a playoff team now.

redsfanmia
11-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Great surprise season, I thought their O-line would be their downfall but they seem to have patched it together somehow. I think they are a play off team and they are fun to watch, really impressed with what Ryan Grigson has done and is really looking forward to what he can do next year in free agency when the Colts have 40+ million to spend.

thatcoolguy_22
11-26-2012, 03:31 AM
Another win for Indy. Luck looked a little shaky in the first half and threw a couple times into double coverage, but a win is a win. This one was all defense and special teams. Well coached game with enough big plays to win a game I thought they would lose.

7-4

@Detroit
vs Tennessee
@Houston
@Kansas City
vs Houston

Looking at the remaining schedule I see the Colts going 3-2. Withs wins vs Tenn, @ KC, and vs Hou. I'm think we win vs Hou just because by then Hou will already have a first round bye locked up and probably homefield advantage. It's time that the karma of letting inferior teams beat them because they sat all starters in week 17 actually turns in our favor. If the Colts can steal one @ Det next, I see no reason to not think they get a home game in the WC round.

What an amazing season to follow so far. This has been the most excited regular season for to watch since 1999 (worst to first 10 game turnaround).

Boss-Hog
11-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Wildcard teams cannot host first round games; they're always lower seeds than division winners (regardless of record).

thatcoolguy_22
11-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Wildcard teams cannot host first round games; they're always lower seeds than division winners (regardless of record).

I knew that. No idea what I was thinking when I typed it though... :alcohol:

Redsfaithful
11-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Football Outsiders (sort of like Baseball Prospectus for football) has Indy 28th in the NFL in their DVOA ratings:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2012/week-12-dvoa-ratings

They have them ranked as the league's worst defense. As a Bengals fan I'm hoping the Colts somehow lose 3-4 more games (probably unlikely with that schedule.) Any thoughts on that DVOA ranking from people that watch them every week?

Razor Shines
11-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Football Outsiders (sort of like Baseball Prospectus for football) has Indy 28th in the NFL in their DVOA ratings:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2012/week-12-dvoa-ratings

They have them ranked as the league's worst defense. As a Bengals fan I'm hoping the Colts somehow lose 3-4 more games (probably unlikely with that schedule.) Any thoughts on that DVOA ranking from people that watch them every week?
I saw another stat this weekend that said the Colts have held the lead the second fewest minutes in the league. Kinda shook me to a little reality. I think it comes back to that whole does "clutch" exist and is it a repeatable skill debate. I know it exists, I've felt it but I'm unsure of how much it can be relied upon. I do buy it more in basketball and football (for a QB or kicker) than in baseball, maybe for a pitcher.

bucksfan2
11-28-2012, 11:53 AM
The Colts have 5 games remaining and I could see them losing all of them. I think they get a little help playing the Texans at home the last game of the season when Houston should have everything wrapped up. More likely I see them going 2-3 or 3-2. For some reason I can see KC giving them troubles. KC is a doormat by they play at Arrowhead and I wonder how this team would do playing outdoors in the cold.

redsfanmia
11-28-2012, 08:22 PM
This years Colts team is last years Bengals, they will make the playoffs and get smoked. I think it's great that they are winning and probably going to the playoffs but ultimately it will just delay their rebuild another season. The Colts as a franchise would have been better off going 3-13 and getting another season of high draft picks.

UKFlounder
11-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Is there any concern that your coach could be ready to go for next year and Arians leaves to take another job since he has been pretty impressive in this situation?

gilpdawg
11-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Is there any concern that your coach could be ready to go for next year and Arians leaves to take another job since he has been pretty impressive in this situation?

With cancer there's always a concern, but his prognosis seems to be good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Razor Shines
12-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Wow. I really don't know what else there is to say.

redsfanmia
12-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Luck is unbelievable but the Lions coaching staff should be fired tonight IMO.

redsfanmia
12-02-2012, 05:35 PM

Arians is like 60 years old, not many teams are interested in a 60+ year old first time head coach.

Assembly Hall
12-03-2012, 11:20 AM
The Colts could still win their division. It would take some luck(no pun intended), but it is a possibility. Houston plays New England next week. The 'shoes have two games remaining with the Texans. Just sayin'

Razor Shines
12-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Certainly it seems anything is possible with this team but i cant see them beating the Texans. They really should have lost to Det yesterday but as RFMia said the lions coaches were really dumb.

Assembly Hall
12-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Certainly it seems anything is possible with this team but i cant see them beating the Texans. They really should have lost to Det yesterday but as RFMia said the lions coaches were really dumb.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good!

thatcoolguy_22
12-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Just saw the Colts have a -16 turnover ratio (31st in the NFL). That needs to improve dramatically to have a chance at a playoff win. I still find it unbelievable that they are 8-4, and barring complete collapse, playoff bound.

Assembly Hall
12-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Just saw the Colts have a -16 turnover ratio (31st in the NFL). That needs to improve dramatically to have a chance at a playoff win. I still find it unbelievable that they are 8-4, and barring complete collapse, playoff bound.

A lot of the Colts stats are totally misleading. They have only 2 wins over teams that are .500 or better(Vikings and Packers). In 3 of their 4 losses they were blown out(Bears, Jets, and Patriots).

If you throw out those 3 blow-out losses and their statistics change quite dramatically. And one could even argue that they should be 9-3 after giving a gift to the Jags. But the schedule is what it is and they have done a great job of doing what they have had to do.

With all that being said I cant believe they are staring a #4 seed right in the face and still have the ability to win their division.

thatcoolguy_22
12-29-2012, 10:11 PM
So 10-5 going into the final game. Pagano is back and the Colts will either be playing NE or Baltimore on the road in round 1. If NE wins then its @ Balt, If NE loses and Balt wins then we're on the road in NE. This will be the first time since the 90's I rooted for NE to win anything.

Regardless of the outcome this has been an incredible season. I have not agonized over every regular season game like this in the last decade. Rookies playing like veterans is always fun to watch. As a baseball fan I know the bell curve does not always apply for growth, but you have to like where this team is headed in the future.

George Anderson
12-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Amazing season!!

Colts fans are incredibly lucky to have Manning all those years and now Luck. Also making the playoffs like 11 of the past 12 years with a SB victory makes us a tad bit spoiled.

blumj
12-30-2012, 10:45 AM
So 10-5 going into the final game. Pagano is back and the Colts will either be playing NE or Baltimore on the road in round 1. If NE wins then its @ Balt, If NE loses and Balt wins then we're on the road in NE. This will be the first time since the 90's I rooted for NE to win anything.

Pats fans have to root for the Colts today, too, but we've had practice at it from when you guys play the Jets, that makes it almost too easy.

redsfanmia
12-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Good win today, the Texans looked uninterested to me though. I really think the Colts can win in Baltimore.

gilpdawg
12-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Good win today, the Texans looked uninterested to me though. I really think the Colts can win in Baltimore.

And a win in Baltimore would send us to Denver if the Bengals were to lose. Eek. I don't know if I'm ready for that! It would be really hard to root against Peyton. Heck I named my dog after him!

Razor Shines
12-30-2012, 10:11 PM
And a win in Baltimore would send us to Denver if the Bengals were to lose. Eek. I don't know if I'm ready for that! It would be really hard to root against Peyton. Heck I named my dog after him!

Yeah, its not ideal but I'd root against him for the first time ever. But I think Cincy will beat Houston.

Revering4Blue
01-06-2013, 12:37 PM
What is Skip Bayless smoking?

The cold, hard truth: Owner Jim Irsay made a monumental four-year mistake when he ceremoniously cut Peyton Manning last March. And Irsay and his new general manager, Ryan Grigson, compounded that calculated blunder last April by drafting Andrew Luck over Robert Griffin III.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8813105/2013-nfl-playoffs-jim-irsay-big-gambles-indianapolis-colts

Joseph
01-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Bayless is a moron, don't pay attention.

blumj
01-06-2013, 12:59 PM
I think that's the wrong question, the correct question is: what are you smoking that you'd waste even half a second of your life wondering about anything said by Skip Bayless?

Sea Ray
01-06-2013, 02:40 PM
It's not far fetched to say that RG3 would have been a better pick than Luck. Although I felt Luck was the correct pick at the time, I'm having 2nd thoughts now. The way RG3 has shown himself to be coachable and his huge leadership abilities have impressed the hell out of me. It goes without saying that his on the field skills are as advertised.

REDblooded
01-06-2013, 03:50 PM
It's not far fetched to say that RG3 would have been a better pick than Luck. Although I felt Luck was the correct pick at the time, I'm having 2nd thoughts now. The way RG3 has shown himself to be coachable and his huge leadership abilities have impressed the hell out of me. It goes without saying that his on the field skills are as advertised.

He's a great player...

Anybody debating should see this for what it is.

Luck had (and still has) a much higher floor than RG3. RG3 has a bit higher of a ceiling.

RG3 will continue to be a higher injury risk, which is factored into his floor for me.

Razor Shines
01-06-2013, 05:13 PM
I think if RG3 had to play on this Colts team people would be singing a different tune. Luck is forced to put it up 45+ times a game while getting hit almost everytime. I think he's been downright amazing this season.

redsfanmia
01-06-2013, 05:48 PM
The Colts made the right decision with Luck over RGIII and cutting Manning.

Going to be an interesting off season with all the money they have to spend. I hope they do not promote Clyde C to O coordinator if Arians leaves and I would not shed any tears if Arians leaves, he did a great job but I dislike the Steeler style of offense he runs.

REDblooded
01-06-2013, 06:15 PM
I think if RG3 had to play on this Colts team people would be singing a different tune. Luck is forced to put it up 45+ times a game while getting hit almost everytime. I think he's been downright amazing this season.

No doubt at all... I love the Luck pick. Can't wait to see what Grigson does with 40+ million in cap space and a full offseason. Game on.

WMR
01-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Would the Colts have a better record this season with Peyton rather than Luck?

I'm sort of doubtful, because Peyton would have ended up leaving on a stretcher.

Luck is the much better QB for the rebuild job that the Colts HAD to do. He's accelerated things for that organization by 2 seasons at least.

Sea Ray
01-06-2013, 09:08 PM
He's a great player...

Anybody debating should see this for what it is.

Luck had (and still has) a much higher floor than RG3. RG3 has a bit higher of a ceiling.

RG3 will continue to be a higher injury risk, which is factored into his floor for me.

I agree with you on all counts but do you agree with me that it is a worthy debate? Bayless is not out in LF on this one

blumj
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
I agree with you on all counts but do you agree with me that it is a worthy debate? Bayless is not out in LF on this one
Yes, he is out in LF, like he always is, by declaring it a mistake based on one season during which Griffin has already been seriously injured and Manning would have cost them a fortune to retain and, while still great, isn't getting any younger.

Razor Shines
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
There's a good chance RG3 tore his ACL tonight.

camisadelgolf
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Bayless says the most ridiculous things he can so he can get ratings. It's really that simple. I'm not going to fault him for it--after all, it's effective--but I'm not going to help him get what he wants by paying attention to him.

Razor Shines
01-06-2013, 10:18 PM

No. It's one thing if you think there is a debate but Bayless was saying drafting Luck was a blunder.

Revering4Blue
01-06-2013, 10:40 PM
No. It's one thing if you think there is a debate but Bayless was saying drafting Luck was a blunder.

That's how I view it. Not to slight RGIII at all. As a fan, I would have been thrilled to death to land RGIII.

But suggesting that the Colts made a "monumental four-year mistake" by letting Peyton Manning go shouldn't even be up for debate. I'm not even sure that the casual Colts fans are buying that anymore.

REDblooded
01-06-2013, 10:50 PM

Until one of the two massively outdistances the other, there will always be a debate...

However, Luck was the right pick for the Colts. They weren't in a position to gamble on upside vs safety especially when the difference in upside is lesser than the difference in risk...

RG3 has proven himself to be pretty much exactly what I expected. Great kid. Great leader. Great arm. Great athlete. Great injury risk.

He had a much better supporting cast surrounding him.

Anybody trying to judge them off of their rookie seasons is moving far too fast. Let's see what the Colts and Luck look like in a season or two. The Colts offensive line was awful this year. The Colts will have $40+ million in cap room this offseason.

Sea Ray
01-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Bayless says the most ridiculous things he can so he can get ratings. It's really that simple. I'm not going to fault him for it--after all, it's effective--but I'm not going to help him get what he wants by paying attention to him.

OK fine. Is this one of them? Is suggesting that RGIII will be better than Andrew Luck a ridiculous notion?

Sea Ray
01-07-2013, 09:44 AM

Perhaps it was. RGIII may turn out to be better. We can't rule that out at this point

camisadelgolf
01-07-2013, 05:50 PM
OK fine. Is this one of them? Is suggesting that RGIII will be better than Andrew Luck a ridiculous notion?
It's not ridiculous at all to suggest that RGIII could have a better career than Luck. But to say releasing Manning and drafting Luck are both blunders is just silly. The Colts are coming off their most successful season since the last time they went to the Super Bowl. RGIII had a worse record with a better supporting case. Please explain to me how taking Luck over Griffin is a blunder. (And I haven't even brought up the injury concerns yet.)

Is RGIII a better QB than Luck? Maybe. Heck, probably. But picking Luck instead is hardly a blunder.

blumj
01-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Is it a blunder that they didn't trade down and draft Russell Wilson and a lot of other players with the extra picks?

kaldaniels
01-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Blunder implies a mistake made through ignorance or stupity.

No Skip, the drafting of the top QB prospect in 20 years is not a blunder.

camisadelgolf
01-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Is it a blunder that they didn't trade down and draft Russell Wilson and a lot of other players with the extra picks?
A blunder would be the Jaguars drafting a punter instead of Russell Wilson in the 3rd round.

redsfanmia
01-19-2013, 01:53 PM
The Colts tab Pep Hamilton as offensive coordinator, he has never called plays before at te college or pro level, I hope this works.

George Anderson
01-19-2013, 07:53 PM
RG3 is a great QB and awfully fun to watch, but you better watch him as much as you can because with his style of play he won't be around to terribly long.

fearofpopvol1
04-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Not sure how I feel about the Bjorn pick. I do give Grigson rope after his fantastic draft last year, but from a need standpoint, I don't feel like it was a top need. I thought Hughes had a real chance to fill in at OLB. I don't know that I expected him to be as productive as DF was, but I thought he would be at least adequate there for now. He's never really been given a chance to properly succeed.

CB and Safety are desperate needs, as they seemingly were for most of the years during the Polian era sans when Bob Sanders was healthy. I thought the kid from Florida that Baltimore picked up would've been a better pick here, but I hope Grigson is right.

thatcoolguy_22
04-26-2013, 04:06 PM
I trust in Grigson to draft, however his FA manuevering has been less than desirable.

redsfanmia
04-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Grigson did a good job in FA, his only questionable move was Waldon IMO but maybe he will be a good edge rusher. The best thing Grigson did was not hamstring the cap to
Make a big splash. Werner is a solid pick and honestly I think we have seen enough of Hughes to know he is not good.

thatcoolguy_22
04-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Grigson did a good job in FA, his only questionable move was Waldon IMO but maybe he will be a good edge rusher. The best thing Grigson did was not hamstring the cap to
Make a big splash. Werner is a solid pick and honestly I think we have seen enough of Hughes to know he is not good.

There were many poor contracts handed out this offseason. It seemed like the Colts were responsible for half of them. For example...

Ricky Jean-Francois was given $22 million for four seasons even though he's had just five career starts.

LaRon Landry received $14 million in guarantees despite being completely unreliable in terms of staying in the lineup.

Gosder Cherilus was handed $34 million over five years for some reason. Cherilus has sucked for most of his career. Detroit fans were thrilled to see him go, and they all laughed when they saw his new contract.

Erik Walden... no comment.

From walterfootball.com (http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013winnerslosers.php)

Team confusion
Colts GM Ryan Grigson absolutely nailed last year's draft class, and it makes sense he took some chances in free agency this offseason, because his team had a lot of roster holes and a lot of salary-cap space. Grigson didn't tie up his salary cap with too much long-term money, but he still gave big coin to a lot of players that have ranged from promising to average to sub-mediocre as pros: Tackle Gosder Cherilus, linebacker Erik Walden, cornerback Greg Toler, defensive end Ricky Jean Francois and safety LaRon Landry.

From NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000152913/article/afc-free-agency-winners-and-losers)

Gosder Cherilus, RT (DET)

Grade: B+

Contract: 5 years, $34.5 million ($15.5 million guaranteed)

... making him the second highest paid right tackle in the entire NFL may be a bit of a stretch. Yes, hes good, but good enough to deserve the kind of pay day Colts owner Jim Irsay and GM Ryan Grigson gave him? Well have to see, but right now Id have to say no.

Erik Walden, LB (GB)

Grade: D-

Contract: 4 years, $16 million ($4 million guaranteed)

I at first tried to defend this. I thought to myself that ILB Jerrell Freeman, a CFL player, was unknown and untested when the Colts signed him. So maybe Walden, who in 5 seasons has never totaled more than 60 tackles, might be a diamond in the rough. .... For this to be worth it, Walden has to develop into a Pro Bowl linebacker in no more than 2 years. Otherwise, this will officially be Grigsons first WTF moment.

http://isportsweb.com/2013/03/27/indianapolis-colts-grading-the-2013-free-agent-class/

How do you have 40 million plus to play with, spend most of it, and come home with this? Landry will be lucky to play 12 games, Cherilous is way over priced and for 5 years, Walden is a joke, Jean Francois is marginal talent given front line money, I like DHB, Toler can't stay healthy, throw in some depth interior lineman on the cheap and you have a 10 year old with birthday money in his pocket buying the first couple video games he sees and then spending his last 2$ on 12 slap bracelets and a pack of skittles. I'm rooting for all of this to somehow work out, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

redsfanmia
04-27-2013, 07:38 PM
From walterfootball.com (http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013winnerslosers.php)

From NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000152913/article/afc-free-agency-winners-and-losers)

http://isportsweb.com/2013/03/27/indianapolis-colts-grading-the-2013-free-agent-class/

How do you have 40 million plus to play with, spend most of it, and come home with this? Landry will be lucky to play 12 games, Cherilous is way over priced and for 5 years, Walden is a joke, Jean Francois is marginal talent given front line money, I like DHB, Toler can't stay healthy, throw in some depth interior lineman on the cheap and you have a 10 year old with birthday money in his pocket buying the first couple video games he sees and then spending his last 2$ on 12 slap bracelets and a pack of skittles. I'm rooting for all of this to somehow work out, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

We will see, those guys are writers not experts. Grigson took chicken bleep and made chicken salad out of it last year so I am a believer.

Revering4Blue
04-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Bills acquired OLB Jerry Hughes from the Colts in exchange for ILB Kelvin Sheppard.

Ex-Colts GM Bill Polian's first-round picks from 2005 through 2010: DB Marlin Jackson, RB Joseph Addai, WR Anthony Gonzalez, RB Donald Brown, and OLB Hughes. Three are out of the league. Only Brown is still on the Colts, and he isn't any good. Hughes, the 31st overall pick in the 2010 draft, has five sacks through 40 NFL games with seven starts. Sheppard was a disappointment in Buffalo, so the teams are simply swapping players they no longer wanted. Apr 29 - 1:29 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5838/jerry-hughes

redsfanmia
04-29-2013, 05:07 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5838/jerry-hughes

Kind of hack writing there, Two of those picks were mainstays on a Super Bowl team and Don Brown is productive when healthy.

gilpdawg
04-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Donald Brown isn't very good.

redsfanmia
04-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Donald Brown isn't very good.

He is productive when healthy, the last two years he has turned the corner. He is not a star but he is a solid 3 down back. He is a disappointment as a first rounder but I wouldn't go as far as to say he isn't very good. He has averaged 4.1 ypc but has had a hard time saying on the field.

Revering4Blue
04-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Kind of hack writing there, Two of those picks were mainstays on a Super Bowl team and Don Brown is productive when healthy.

I also found it to be quite odd.

Keep in mind that Rotoworld writers tends to view everything from the fantasy sports standpoint.

I also agree with you regarding Donald Brown. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

RedsBaron
04-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Bayless is a moron, don't pay attention.

I agree.

Razor Shines
09-22-2013, 08:22 PM
I just don't see anything Richardson does that the Colts couldn't have gotten with a replacement player. I know he didn't have much time with the offense but I just have never been that impressed with him.

I know they didn't want to get stuck relying on Bradshaw because of injury history but if Bradshaw goes down I don't see how having Richardson is going to make up the difference. I think Bradshaw has shown he's still an elite back when healthy, Richardson is not.

I'm not that angry about the move it's just not a move I want a team I root for making. Especially the way Irsay was talking about it.

redsfanmia
09-22-2013, 10:05 PM
I just don't see anything Richardson does that the Colts couldn't have gotten with a replacement player. I know he didn't have much time with the offense but I just have never been that impressed with him.

I know they didn't want to get stuck relying on Bradshaw because of injury history but if Bradshaw goes down I don't see how having Richardson is going to make up the difference. I think Bradshaw has shown he's still an elite back when healthy, Richardson is not.

I'm not that angry about the move it's just not a move I want a team I root for making. Especially the way Irsay was talking about it.

I'm with you, not impressed with Richardson play today for sure, Bradshaw wasa beast today and Don Brown looked good. That was the best game the Colts have played since #18 left.

fearofpopvol1
12-23-2013, 01:00 AM
What a win today on the road. This is the thing with the Colts and I think the Bengals too. You just don't know what team you're going to get each week. But gotta feel good about the team at least. Luck has been amazing.

CTA513
12-29-2013, 05:28 PM
I was looking at the Colts game stats and saw that Mathis had 2 sacks giving him 19.5 on the season.
Have to say I'm really impressed with how big of a season he had after making the switch to a 3-4 OLB in his 11th season.

thatcoolguy_22
01-04-2014, 11:45 PM
In case everyone missed it, a kind of big comeback happened today. #luckdynasty

fearofpopvol1
01-05-2014, 06:46 PM
I think it was the best playoff game I'd seen, when excluding magnitude of the win. I would not want to be a Chiefs fan and I feel for them.

redsfanmia
01-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Bad end of the season but a successful one none the less. The Colts need to address the interior of the offensive line and add a decent receiver on offense. I wonder what they will do with Trent Richardson? They can't cut him can they?

thatcoolguy_22
01-13-2014, 01:48 AM
http://spaces.covers.com/blog/MaximumWins/NFL/03042012-Reasons-Why-The-NFL-Is-Fixed-For-Profit.html

Sea Ray
01-13-2014, 12:08 PM
http://spaces.covers.com/blog/MaximumWins/NFL/03042012-Reasons-Why-The-NFL-Is-Fixed-For-Profit.html

Interesting column but what exactly do you wish to discuss and why did you choose to post it in an Indy Colts thread?

Revering4Blue
01-17-2014, 11:56 AM
OC Pep Hamilton sticking with Colts after Vanderbilt interview.

redsfanmia
03-14-2014, 09:05 PM
I like what Grigson and the Colts have done so far, if they could get Alex Mack this off season would be a slam dunk.

Razor Shines
03-14-2014, 10:10 PM
I like what Grigson and the Colts have done so far, if they could get Alex Mack this off season would be a slam dunk.

I wasn't thrilled with the D'Qwell Jackson signing but I think the Nicks signing is great. 1 yr. $3.5MM, that's a nice signing.

redsfanmia
03-14-2014, 10:33 PM
I wasn't thrilled with the D'Qwell Jackson signing but I think the Nicks signing is great. 1 yr. $3.5MM, that's a nice signing.

If Jackson can help stop the run then I'm ok with it. I like bringing Bradshaw back, if healthy he is a beast

Razor Shines
09-24-2014, 08:43 PM
I read this article before last week's game but I still completely agree with it.

From the article:

Yet despite Luck's multitude of exceptional qualities, Indianapolis offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton doesn't play to his strengths. Luck's ability to quickly diagnose coverages and locate the direction of the defense's pressure begs for a wide-open offensive attack. With receivers Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton and Hakeem Nicks on the field together, Luck can systematically carve up a defense with his arm. With so many capable pass catchers spreading out the defense, Luck can pick up big yardage himself when his targets are covered. Instead, Hamilton favors a power run approach with multiple tight ends and limited big play potential.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/95091270/indianapolis-colts-andrew-luck-qb-running-game

BillDoran
09-24-2014, 09:06 PM
I can certainly understand the distaste for Pep Hamilton, but I'm not entirely sold on Luck yet either. He's been a good QB thus far, and he's shown improvement each season (especially this one), but I'm not sure I see the next John Elway. He's not terribly accurate, he throws picks, he gets a lot of credit for his mobility, yet rarely influences the game with his legs (outside the TD vulturing, not that I'm bitter). I think he's a good, possibly even Pro Bowl-caliber QB, but I don't understand the sustained adulation that seems to place him above his peers (Dalton, Wilson, etc.).

Also, while he may not be airing it out like some would like, he is currently leading the NFL in pass attempts/game.

redsfanmia
09-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Luck is a star. He threw 9 picks last year and lost his security blanket in Wayne halfway thru the season and was throwing to the likes of Griff Whalen and Da'Rick Rogers, Peyton threw 6 picks in a game throwing to guys like that.

BillDoran
09-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Luck is a star. He threw 9 picks last year and lost his security blanket in Wayne halfway thru the season and was throwing to the likes of Griff Whalen and Da'Rick Rogers, Peyton threw 6 picks in a game throwing to guys like that.

Pretty big believer in the QB making the player and not the other way around, but Wayne's a Hall of Fame possibility, T.Y. looks like a damn good slot player or #3, Nicks is a former Pro Bowler (if diminished), Montcrief is a third round pick, Fleener a second rounder and Allen another third round pick. Who knows what Richardson is, Bradshaw's injury-prone but no slouch when healthy. I'd say that's at the very least a league average supporting cast.

I'm not saying Luck's a bum, I'm just not ready to anoint him the next Peyton, Brady or what have you. I do think there are better offensive coordinators available.

redsfanmia
09-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Pretty big believer in the QB making the player and not the other way around, but Wayne's a Hall of Fame possibility, T.Y. looks like a damn good slot player or #3, Nicks is a former Pro Bowler (if diminished), Montcrief is a third round pick, Fleener a second rounder and Allen another third round pick. Who knows what Richardson is, Bradshaw's injury-prone but no slouch when healthy. I'd say that's at the very least a league average supporting cast.

I'm not saying Luck's a bum, I'm just not ready to anoint him the next Peyton, Brady or what have you. I do think there are better offensive coordinators available.
Totally agree with you on the O coordinator, I was talking about last year after Reg got hurt, he was throwing to guys besides Hilton who were bottom of the roster guys. This year Luck has not been his best but still a stud.

redsfanmia
09-25-2014, 05:34 PM
I don't think Luck will have the stats that Peyton has put up but I think he will win more than one Super Bowl.

redsfanmia
09-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Luck hAs been fantastic that last few weeks, granted against the Jags and Titans.

fearofpopvol1
09-30-2014, 02:57 PM

Wayne is a HoF possibility?

bucksfan2
09-30-2014, 04:11 PM
I don't think Luck will have the stats that Peyton has put up but I think he will win more than one Super Bowl.

I think that Luck will be very similar to Peyton with regards to playoffs success as well. I do think that dome teams have difficult times in the playoffs if they don't have home field advantage throughout. The Colts go from playing 10 games in neutral climates (8 home, 1 Houston, 1 Miami) to being thrown into the mixer once playoff time comes around. I don't think it is a big difference, but when you have a team who is used to playing in 65+ degrees and all of a sudden they are thrown into a wintry game against a quality foe I think that hurts them.

Razor Shines
09-30-2014, 05:44 PM
I think that Luck will be very similar to Peyton with regards to playoffs success as well. I do think that dome teams have difficult times in the playoffs if they don't have home field advantage throughout. The Colts go from playing 10 games in neutral climates (8 home, 1 Houston, 1 Miami) to being thrown into the mixer once playoff time comes around. I don't think it is a big difference, but when you have a team who is used to playing in 65+ degrees and all of a sudden they are thrown into a wintry game against a quality foe I think that hurts them.

Oh man. Just a pedestrian one of the greatest QBs ever who will go to 3-4 Super Bowls? Time to start looking in the draft for a real QB with some intestinal fortitude who can get it done in crunch time, not like those Luck and Manning bums.

bucksfan2
10-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Oh man. Just a pedestrian one of the greatest QBs ever who will go to 3-4 Super Bowls? Time to start looking in the draft for a real QB with some intestinal fortitude who can get it done in crunch time, not like those Luck and Manning bums.

Where did I say that? Where did I say anything like that?

Looking back at the last 20 Super Bowls, 4 have been dome teams, and one had been a warm weather team. Looking at those 5 teams, the Saints, Cowboys and Rams had home field throughout, Indy won an away game at Baltimore and Tampa won an away game at Philly.

I didn't mean it to be a knock on Luck, I think he is a very good young QB. I like Pagano as a coach much more than I ever liked Dungy or Caldwell. But I think its a legitimate concern how warm weather and dome teams fare outside in the cold, games which are often playoff games.

Razor Shines
10-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Where did I say that? Where did I say anything like that?

Looking back at the last 20 Super Bowls, 4 have been dome teams, and one had been a warm weather team. Looking at those 5 teams, the Saints, Cowboys and Rams had home field throughout, Indy won an away game at Baltimore and Tampa won an away game at Philly.

I didn't mean it to be a knock on Luck, I think he is a very good young QB. I like Pagano as a coach much more than I ever liked Dungy or Caldwell. But I think its a legitimate concern how warm weather and dome teams fare outside in the cold, games which are often playoff games.

Obviously I was exaggerating, a lot. But you made "playoff success similar to Peyton" seem like it's a negative. I just think the playoffs are really hard and have more randomness than cold weather teams excel in the playoffs and warm weather teams falter.

Razor Shines
10-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Wow. I knew the Texans were bad and the Colts were pretty good but the contrast ridiculous.

redsfanmia
10-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Wow. I knew the Texans were bad and the Colts were pretty good but the contrast ridiculous.

Let's hope this helps put the worst roster in the league save for Luck argument to rest.

Razor Shines
10-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Well whatever. Who the hell knows anymore.

BillDoran
10-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Wayne is a HoF possibility?

Career stats: 1,040 receptions, 13,985 receiving yards and 81 receiving TDs; good for seventh, ninth and twenty-second all-time.

Not saying that punches his ticket, but there's definitely a conversation to be had.

RedTeamGo!
10-10-2014, 01:55 PM
I think Reggie Wayne was excellent but where he ranks with those particular stats is not going to be that impressive moving forward. The era Wayne has played in compared to Lynn Swan, The first half Jerry Rice's career, etc is completely different. They put up some stats last night that showed Steve Smith and Andre Johnson are right there in receiving yards with Wayne. They are very good WRs, but hall of famers? No way. Wayne also had the best QB in history throwing to him.

BillDoran
10-10-2014, 02:06 PM
I think Reggie Wayne was excellent but where he ranks with those particular stats is not going to be that impressive moving forward. The era Wayne has played in compared to Lynn Swan, The first half Jerry Rice's career, etc is completely different. They put up some stats last night that showed Steve Smith and Andre Johnson are right there in receiving yards with Wayne. They are very good WRs, but hall of famers? No way. Wayne also had the best QB in history throwing to him.

Valid point, and I guess part of the reason these discussions are fun. Ultimately, I don't think he gets in, but he's definitely of similar company to Tim Brown and Isaac Bruce, two guys also on the cusp.

WR seems a tough position to be elected into the HOF. Lots of interesting choices and snubs.

RedTeamGo!
10-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Valid point, and I guess part of the reason these discussions are fun. Ultimately, I don't think he gets in, but he's definitely of similar company to Tim Brown and Isaac Bruce, two guys also on the cusp.

WR seems a tough position to be elected into the HOF. Lots of interesting choices and snubs.

One thing going for Wayne is the fact Marvin Harrison probably won't get in now because of how he ended up being a scumbag after his playing career ended. Wayne might be the Peyton-Colt receiver to get in.

bucksfan2
10-10-2014, 02:47 PM

Wayne is good, he has the numbers that stack up nicely. He played in the premier passing offense with the premier passing QB of his generation. I think he ultimately gets in because his numbers are very good. I also don't think it hurts his association with Manning.

redsfanmia
10-10-2014, 02:59 PM
One thing going for Wayne is the fact Marvin Harrison probably won't get in now because of how he ended up being a scumbag after his playing career ended. Wayne might be the Peyton-Colt receiver to get in.

Alledgely a scumbag, no charges were ever brought and he is a virtual lock for the HOF probably on the next vote.

fearofpopvol1
10-19-2014, 05:57 PM
What a game for the Colts.

I'm still not sure that the D is this good, but they look improved this year and Werner is doing a great job filling in for Mathis. The O-Line is vastly improved. T-Rich is still not great but he has improved. This seems to be Luck's year as he is starting to look like Peyton in his prime even though it's only his 3rd season. I'm still concerned about the turnovers and even penalties. Seems like the Colts always have more than the opposition and that's not going to fly in January.

I don't know if this year but the future sure is bright.

Hoosier Red
10-19-2014, 07:03 PM

I'm still not sure that the D is this good, but they look improved this year and Werner is doing a great job filling in for Mathis. The O-Line is vastly improved. T-Rich is still not great but he has improved. This seems to be Luck's year as he is starting to look like Peyton in his prime even though it's only his 3rd season. I'm still concerned about the turnovers and even penalties. Seems like the Colts always have more than the opposition and that's not going to fly in January.

Damn. That was impressive.

bucksfan2
10-20-2014, 03:05 PM

They beat the (insert whatever term you wish) out of the Bengals. I didn't expect the Bengals to win but thought they would perform better. If the D plays like that they are scary good. I would rank Luck second among the new wave of QB's behind Rodgers. I do however think that the whole next generation is a step below what Manning and Brady have been for a decade and a half now. I do think that when those guys finally exit stage left, you will realize how good they actually were.

fearofpopvol1
10-20-2014, 03:18 PM
They beat the (insert whatever term you wish) out of the Bengals. I didn't expect the Bengals to win but thought they would perform better. If the D plays like that they are scary good. I would rank Luck second among the new wave of QB's behind Rodgers. I do however think that the whole next generation is a step below what Manning and Brady have been for a decade and a half now. I do think that when those guys finally exit stage left, you will realize how good they actually were.

I'm not sure if I agree with this. Luck is in his 3rd year....he didn't even have a decent offensive line until this year. I believe he took more sacks than any other QB in the league his first year and maybe last year too. A lot of injuries last year and a poor defense the first 2 years. This year, he is leading the league in pretty much all QB categories (and that includes Manning and Brady). He also has had 5 straight games of at least 300+ yards passing (tying Manning's team record in 2009). I think what makes me think that Luck can be in a similar conversation someday is what he is doing so young into his career. Did you watch Peyton the first few years? He was awful to watch his rookie year (whereas Luck took his team to the playoffs with a bunch of mostly unknowns). Peyton made improvements each year, but it was until about his 6th season that he really took that "next step" if you will. I just feel like developmentally, Luck is ahead of where Peyton was at a similar age.

I'm not anointing Luck the next Manning or Brady yet. He has a lot to prove and needs to do it over many years before you can be in that conversation.

bucksfan2
10-20-2014, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure if I agree with this. Luck is in his 3rd year....he didn't even have a decent offensive line until this year. I believe he took more sacks than any other QB in the league his first year and maybe last year too. A lot of injuries last year and a poor defense the first 2 years. This year, he is leading the league in pretty much all QB categories (and that includes Manning and Brady). He also has had 5 straight games of at least 300+ yards passing (tying Manning's team record in 2009). I think what makes me think that Luck can be in a similar conversation someday is what he is doing so young into his career. Did you watch Peyton the first few years? He was awful to watch his rookie year (whereas Luck took his team to the playoffs with a bunch of mostly unknowns). Peyton made improvements each year, but it was until about his 6th season that he really took that "next step" if you will. I just feel like developmentally, Luck is ahead of where Peyton was at a similar age.

I'm not anointing Luck the next Manning or Brady yet. He has a lot to prove and needs to do it over many years before you can be in that conversation.

For the first decade Manning and Brady played defenses were actually allowed to play defense. Comparing numbers now to a decade ago really isn't an apples and apples comparison.

I think Luck will be the best of the new breed and will be a top tier QB for the next decade of his career. I don't think the Colts will be as dominant as they were during Manning's hey day. I don't think Luck is that good. Its not really a knock on Luck, just a belief that when all is said and done and Manning and Brady retire, you will look back and say those may have been the two greatest QB's of all time.

redsfanmia
10-20-2014, 04:46 PM
For the first decade Manning and Brady played defenses were actually allowed to play defense. Comparing numbers now to a decade ago really isn't an apples and apples comparison.

I think Luck will be the best of the new breed and will be a top tier QB for the next decade of his career. I don't think the Colts will be as dominant as they were during Manning's hey day. I don't think Luck is that good. Its not really a knock on Luck, just a belief that when all is said and done and Manning and Brady retire, you will look back and say those may have been the two greatest QB's of all time.
I think the Colts have a chance to be more dominant than they were during the Manning years, the new philosophy is not to spend 70% of the cap on offense like it was during that time. The Colts defense was average at best during the PM years while now they have a real chance to be a top 10 defense and it seems that the new regime actually cares about special teams which was a disaster during Mannings years.

fearofpopvol1
10-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Both Manning and Brady benefited from having great O-Lines during their careers and took minimal hits. Luck is finally enjoying that as well this year. He is going head to head with Brady and Manning from a stats perspective currently and is actually beating them both statistically. I know the sample size is small and again, I'm not saying he's on par or better than those guys. However, I think it's fair to say he has a chance at being as good as those guys when it's all said and done. Even if the league has changed, Luck is ahead of where those guys were developmentally. Luck is on pace yards wise to be top 3 for a single season. And it's his 3rd year!

fearofpopvol1
10-20-2014, 05:45 PM
I think the Colts have a chance to be more dominant than they were during the Manning years, the new philosophy is not to spend 70% of the cap on offense like it was during that time. The Colts defense was average at best during the PM years while now they have a real chance to be a top 10 defense and it seems that the new regime actually cares about special teams which was a disaster during Mannings years.

"Average Defense" is being very generous though I agree with your larger point here. They were usually in the bottom half in most categories outside of sacks. The year they won the Super Bowl they had a poor defense but for some reason it came together in the playoffs.

Hoosier Red
10-20-2014, 06:32 PM
"Average Defense" is being very generous though I agree with your larger point here. They were usually in the bottom half in most categories outside of sacks. The year they won the Super Bowl they had a poor defense but for some reason it came together in the playoffs.

Wasn't that the year Bob Sanders actually did come back for the playoffs?

fearofpopvol1
10-20-2014, 07:05 PM
Wasn't that the year Bob Sanders actually did come back for the playoffs?

Yes it was! If there was ever such a thing as an "x-factor" he was it. He just seemed to make everyone there around him better. Without Sanders, the Colts don't win the Super Bowl. I do not think they would've beat the Patriots in that super close game without him.

Razor Shines
10-20-2014, 07:28 PM

I've got no problem with that. A step below Manning and Brady is still a HOF career. What Peyton has been able to do even now is simply amazing.

Assembly Hall
10-22-2014, 02:13 PM

Great way to look at things. But I will add this........sometimes it is just bad timing. I think that is what happened to PM. Kenny Stabler knows what I am talking about. I do like the timing right now with the Colts.

redsfanmia
10-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Great way to look at things. But I will add this........sometimes it is just bad timing. I think that is what happened to PM. Kenny Stabler knows what I am talking about. I do like the timing right now with the Colts.
The colts also lost more than one playoff game when they were the better team and were favored.

Assembly Hall
10-23-2014, 10:58 AM
The colts also lost more than one playoff game when they were the better team and were favored.

I will agree with that.........but they also got knocked out by the Patriots a couple of times.

redsfanmia
10-23-2014, 05:35 PM
I will agree with that.........but they also got knocked out by the Patriots a couple of times.

I will argue that they were better than a few of those Patriots teams.

Assembly Hall
10-24-2014, 10:01 AM
I will argue that they were better than a few of those Patriots teams.

Well the Colts should have won a few more games during the regular season and then they wouldn't have had to play in the snow!!!!!!!! LOL

Razor Shines
11-04-2014, 12:50 AM
If Vontae had played the entire game against Pittsburgh maybe Ben would have only had 3 Tds.

Assembly Hall
11-04-2014, 12:13 PM
If Vontae had played the entire game against Pittsburgh maybe Ben would have only had 3 Tds.

I hear ya!!!!!