PDA

View Full Version : Scoreboard Watching 2012--Part Two

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

_Sir_Charles_
08-29-2012, 05:54 PM
When its not necessary? I'd disagree. Maybe a few barehands, but I've never seen him do the really outlandish stuff in fielding outside of the play. He does raise his arms like he's catching a pop up as Bruce makes the catch. That's hot dog. The between the legs and behind the back are always in the context of amazing plays. I'll take him over the NL All Star starter :D

Don't get me wrong...I freaking LOVE watching him play. However, there was a great example of this just the other day. He and Cozart were turning a double play and Brandon catches the flip from Zack with his bare hand and goes to turn to throw to first...but the guy is like halfway down the line so he double clutches, finishes his rotation, lands, plants and THEN throws to first. Trust me, no bare hand was needed there, but it would've made it LOOK much better. I've seen this sort of thing numerous times. I'm not complaining, only pointing out what other fan-bases would clearly see as being a hot dog.

westofyou
08-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Don't get me wrong...I freaking LOVE watching him play. However, there was a great example of this just the other day. He and Cozart were turning a double play and Brandon catches the flip from Zack with his bare hand and goes to turn to throw to first...but the guy is like halfway down the line so he double clutches, finishes his rotation, lands, plants and THEN throws to first. Trust me, no bare hand was needed there, but it would've made it LOOK much better. I've seen this sort of thing numerous times. I'm not complaining, only pointing out what other fan-bases would clearly see as being a hot dog.

No one complained when Bid McPhee did it that way!

_Sir_Charles_
08-29-2012, 06:01 PM
No one complained when Bid McPhee did it that way!

Again, I'm NOT complaining....most certainly NOT.

Brutus
08-29-2012, 07:30 PM
G-Jones doubles in a run for the Pirates in the 1st. 1-0 Pittsburgh over St. Loo

cincrazy
08-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Rooting for a team from Pittsburgh just makes me feel dirty. I feel like I need to shower.

As much as I hate their sports teams, it's such a BEAUTIFUL city. I really wish I didn't hate the Steelers and the Pirates. Because I truly love the city itself. And even the people when not talkin to them about sports :).

Brutus
08-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Rooting for a team from Pittsburgh just makes me feel dirty. I feel like I need to shower.

As much as I hate their sports teams, it's such a BEAUTIFUL city. I really wish I didn' that the Steelers and the Pirates. Because I truly love the city itself. And even the people when not talkin to them about sports :).

I'm sure there are others that have been to more ballparks than I, but of all the ones I've been to, PNC is still my favorite. I love that place and you're right, it's a great downtown area.

Brutus
08-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Pedro Alvarez hits a 3-run dinger. 4-0 Pirates in the bottom of the 3rd.

cumberlandreds
08-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Pirates up 4-0. Alvarez just hit a 3 run bomb.

cincrazy
08-29-2012, 08:20 PM
For all of the fear the Cardinals elicit around here, they have their problems. Lance Lynn and/or Joe Kelly just aren't cutting it in the rotation on a consistent basis. Beltran and Furcal have fallen off a cliff. The bullpen is schizo. They're a dangerous team, don't get me wrong. But I think there's a little TOO much fear of them around here. We are better than them. Last year is exactly that. Last year. This isn't 2011. And we aren't the Braves.

Brutus
08-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Alvarez has a 1.300 OPS with 7 homers against the Cards this year. Mercy that's wicked.

Homer Bailey
08-29-2012, 08:23 PM
For all of the fear the Cardinals elicit around here, they have their problems. Lance Lynn and/or Joe Kelly just aren't cutting it in the rotation on a consistent basis. Beltran and Furcal have fallen off a cliff. The bullpen is schizo. They're a dangerous team, don't get me wrong. But I think there's a little TOO much fear of them around here. We are better than them. Last year is exactly that. Last year. This isn't 2011. And we aren't the Braves.

Their offense is very good. Very good. Best in the NL. Their starting staff is pretty darn good as well. In a short series where you don't get their 4th and 5th starters, they are a very, very dangerous team. And in games where their starters dont turn it over to the bullpen until late, they're very tough to beat. I want no part of them.

cincrazy
08-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Their offense is very good. Very good. Best in the NL. Their starting staff is pretty darn good as well. In a short series where you don't get their 4th and 5th starters, they are a very, very dangerous team. And in games where their starters dont turn it over to the bullpen until late, they're very tough to beat. I want no part of them.

Oh I agree with you. They are a tough team. But my point is... so are we. We spend all this time fearing them, I think they should be fearing US. If I'm them, I'd rather face the Nationals than the Reds in the first round. I'm more than ok with drawing them in the first round. If we're going to win the World Series, we might as well go through the best :thumbup:

hebroncougar
08-29-2012, 08:31 PM

Honestly? I think the Reds and Cards may just be the two best teams in the NL. SF lost a lot when Cabrera went down, but I still want no part of Baumgardner and Cain. I still think they are our biggest threat. I'd love to play Washington in the first round. I think they'd be overconfident, and we'd smoke them.

Homer Bailey
08-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Oh I agree with you. They are a tough team. But my point is... so are we. We spend all this time fearing them, I think they should be fearing US. If I'm them, I'd rather face the Nationals than the Reds in the first round. I'm more than ok with drawing them in the first round. If we're going to win the World Series, we might as well go through the best :thumbup:

I agree, the Reds are also to be feared. I just feel like in a short series, the fact the Reds blew the doors off the central means nothing, and the team could be playing like it has something to lose, while the Cards play like they have nothing to lose. Might not make any sense that I feel that way, but I can just see that happening. My baseball heart could not handle losing to the Cardinals in the playoffs. The pain of losing to them is greater than the joy I would feel beating them. I'd rather them just not make it at all!

Kc61
08-29-2012, 08:40 PM

The Cards have a tough schedule too. Yes, they swept the Astros. But against the Reds and Bucs they just went 3-2 and are losing tonight. Then four at DC.

The Pirates have a very easy September on paper. They needed to hold it together in August. They didn't. They still can make noise in the wild card with their September.

All of this works out great for the Reds who haven't won anything yet but now have two of the next three series with the Astros, are getting Votto soon, and have weathered a tough ten game stretch winning 6 and losing 4 with the Phils, the Cards, and DBacks.

Wonderful Monds
08-29-2012, 08:40 PM

Not sure if they really are the best in the NL or any of that considering a good number of those runs came while Beltran and Furcal were in the midst of their resurrection act, and they aren't likely to go back in that direction.

Brutus
08-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Halfway through in Pittsburgh. Still 4-0 after 4 1/2

hebroncougar
08-29-2012, 08:42 PM
I agree, the Reds are also to be feared. I just feel like in a short series, the fact the Reds blew the doors off the central means nothing, and the team could be playing like it has something to lose, while the Cards play like they have nothing to lose. Might not make any sense that I feel that way, but I can just see that happening. My baseball heart could not handle losing to the Cardinals in the playoffs. The pain of losing to them is greater than the joy I would feel beating them. I'd rather them just not make it at all!

Much ado about nothing. The Reds winning % against the Central is their worst against NL divisions. They are better against the East and the West. That's a total myth.

Brutus
08-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Unreal. Alvarez just doubled and Harrison singles him in. 5-0 Pittsburgh.

He absolutely loves him some smoked Cardinal.

Brutus
08-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Game over in Pittsburgh. Reds now have an 8-game lead.

The Cards' offense is now scoreless over their last 21 innings.

WebScorpion
08-30-2012, 04:35 AM
The Cards have a tough schedule too. ...
All of this works out great for the Reds who haven't won anything yet but now have two of the next three series with the Astros, are getting Votto soon, and have weathered a tough ten game stretch winning 6 and losing 4 with the Phils, the Cards, and DBacks.
I'm hoping the Reds use the final 3 game series of the season to eliminate the Cards from the playoffs altogether. ;)

fearofpopvol1
08-30-2012, 05:00 AM
An 8 game lead sure sounds a lot better than a 6 game lead.

traderumor
08-30-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm hoping the Reds use the final 3 game series of the season to eliminate the Cards from the playoffs altogether. ;)That would be a sweet conclusion for vengeance's sake. But that probably means the Dodgers are the #2 WC, and they might just be starting to figure it out about then. If they do, they'll be a great candidate for a hot playoff run that we might get right in the middle of.

Tom Servo
08-30-2012, 12:26 PM
So the infamous Zach Stewart made his Red Sox debut last night against the Angels. 3 innings, 10 hits, 9 earned runs. :scared:

Chip R
08-30-2012, 12:27 PM
So the infamous Zach Stewart made his Red Sox debut last night against the Angels. 3 innings, 10 hits, 9 earned runs. :scared:

So, you're saying he probably won't win the Cy Young award this year?

RollyInRaleigh
08-30-2012, 07:11 PM

Now that's funny.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Underway in D.C.

Edwin Jackson struck out the Cardinals' side, surrendering a single in-between.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Bryce Harper homers for the Nats in the bottom of the first with Werth on first. 2-0, Nats.

Tom Servo
08-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Bryce Harper homers for the Nats in the bottom of the first with Werth on first. 2-0, Nats.
He's heating up again. Didn't he hit 2 the other night?

Brutus
08-30-2012, 07:23 PM
He's heating up again. Didn't he hit 2 the other night?

Yes he did and yes he is.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Cards go down scoreless again in the 2nd (23 scoreless innings in a row now for St. Louis).

On another note, Harper practically ran around the bases on his homer. Now that I think about it, doesn't that violate the annual unwritten rules of baseball etiquette that the Cardinals publish? It seems that warrants a plunking in their book.

oneupper
08-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Cards go down scoreless again in the 2nd (23 scoreless innings in a row now for St. Louis).

On another note, Harper practically ran around the bases on his homer. Now that I think about it, doesn't that violate the annual unwritten rules of baseball etiquette that the Cardinals publish? It seems that warrants a plunking in their book.

I thought it was rounding the bases too slowly or not moving arms correctly. They really need to promote that book of theirs. The rest of baseball needs to know.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 07:49 PM
I thought it was rounding the bases too slowly or not moving arms correctly. They really need to promote that book of theirs. The rest of baseball needs to know.

Yes, they do need to promote it much better. I've never seen it in circulation.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Edwin Jackson has seven Ks through 3 IP. Still 2-0, Nats.

Larkin Fan
08-30-2012, 08:03 PM

Priceless. :laugh:

Brutus
08-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Nats have the bases loaded with 1-out in the 3rd. Adam LaRoche up.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Sac fly for LaRoche. 3-0 Nats with runners at first & third.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 08:12 PM
No further damage as Ian Desmond flies out on a 3-0 pitch.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Cards get first & third, but don't score. Middle 4th, 3-0. Cards now have gone 25 innings straight without a run.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Cards go down 1-2-3 in the 5th. 26 scoreless innings, and hopefully counting.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Jayson Werth leads off the 5th with a solo shot. 4-0 Nats

_Sir_Charles_
08-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Bye bye! Werth goes yard.

Kc61
08-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Jayson Werth makes it 4-0. Nats lead. Cards announcers lack the excitement of, say, the Astros series.

Wild card battle among Braves, Cards, Pirates, and Dodgers (probably) should be interesting this year.

Ten game road trip against tough teams taking its toll on the Cards.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Another 1-2-3 inning for Jackson as the Cards' scoreless streak now reaches 27 innings.

Kc61
08-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Nats load the bases in the sixth, none out, pitcher up.

Visit by pitching coach.

5-0 Nats, Furcal injured, leaves the game.

Pirates are licking their chops hoping for a wild card.

Harper singles in another run. 6-0 Nats.

vaticanplum
08-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Honestly? I think the Reds and Cards may just be the two best teams in the NL. SF lost a lot when Cabrera went down, but I still want no part of Baumgardner and Cain. I still think they are our biggest threat. I'd love to play Washington in the first round. I think they'd be overconfident, and we'd smoke them.

I don't think there's any chance the Reds and Nats play each other the first round. Unless a team sneaks past them both for best record in the NL, that would require one of them to be the Wild Card, right?

Tom Servo
08-30-2012, 09:06 PM
6-0 Nats

Chip R
08-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Nats load the bases in the sixth, none out, pitcher up.

Visit by pitching coach.

The pitcher is probaqbly saying, "Hey, Coach, Uncle Tony leave any of his "special juice" lying around somewhere?" ;)

Kc61
08-30-2012, 09:11 PM
I don't think there's any chance the Reds and Nats play each other the first round. Unless a team sneaks past them both for best record in the NL, that would require one of them to be the Wild Card, right?

Wild card winner plays team with best record. Regardless of what division the teams come from.

So the best record team (Reds or Nats?) will play the wild card winner.

The two other division winners play each other.

As things now stand, it's unlikely Reds will play Nats in the first round.

vaticanplum
08-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Wild card winner plays team with best record. Regardless of what division the teams come from.

So the best record team (Reds or Nats?) will play the wild card winner.

The two other division winners play each other.

As things now stand, it's unlikely Reds will play Nats in the first round.

Yep, exactly. Someone would have to catch them. If we meet the Nats it will be in Round 2.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Houston is up 4-0 in the 5th on the Giants. That would be nice if they can hold on to that game as it would get their win out of the way for another 9-10 games.

Kc61
08-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Nats with two on, one out in the seventh. I'm sure the Cards are just delighted that they have to play the Nats seven times in late August and September. Nats are 19 wins and 8 losses against the Central, LOL.

Nats now with bases loaded still again.

8-0 ballgame now.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 09:36 PM
2-run single for Jesus Flores, 8-0 Nats

Brutus
08-30-2012, 09:46 PM
The Cards score a run! 29 innings later...

And it took an error to do it.

mbgrayson
08-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Cards finally score in the 8th on a throwing error by Ryan Zimmerman. They were scoreless for 29 straight innings. Wow.

Brutus
08-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Nats win 8-1. Although the Cards scored, finally, they've still gone 30 innings without driving in a run.

Reds go 8.5 up and the magic number drops to 23, if I'm not mistaken.

alloverjr
08-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Nats win 8-1. Although the Cards scored, finally, they've still gone 30 innings without driving in a run.

Reds go 8.5 up and the magic number drops to 23, if I'm not mistaken.

Correct. Although Reds no longer have the best record by.2 percentage points.

Chip R
08-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Houston is up 4-0 in the 5th on the Giants. That would be nice if they can hold on to that game as it would get their win out of the way for another 9-10 games.

Giants win 8-4.

Sea Ray
08-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Cards finally score in the 8th on a throwing error by Ryan Zimmerman. They were scoreless for 29 straight innings. Wow.

What's up with the suddenly inept St Louis offense? Anybody see this coming? I'm shocked

cincrazy
08-31-2012, 09:27 AM
What's up with the suddenly inept St Louis offense? Anybody see this coming? I'm shocked

I'm not that surprised. Furcal has been garbage and is now done for the year, and Beltran's been in a horrible slump in August. Good pitching can lock them down. As the Reds have shown themselves this year.

traderumor
08-31-2012, 11:32 AM
What's up with the suddenly inept St Louis offense? Anybody see this coming? I'm shockedI joked last night with the pitching they will be facing the next three games they might not score again until Monday :)

Strikes Out Looking
08-31-2012, 11:33 AM

They've run out of their special vitamins.

HeatherC1212
08-31-2012, 11:36 AM
I joked last night with the pitching they will be facing the next three games they might not score again until Monday :)

Wow, you may have been joking but that could actually happen this weekend, LOL :p

cumberlandreds
08-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Wow, you may have been joking but that could actually happen this weekend, LOL :p

They face Gio tonight and Jordan Zimmerman tomorrow. Not sure about Sunday. Detwiler?
I'm going to the Saturday game that Zimmerman is pitching. I had tickets to 5 Nats games this season and he will have started 4 of them. How's that for luck. :lol: I saw Edwin Jackson the other game. You think I could lucked into seeing Strasburg just once.

Brutus
08-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Adam LaRoche singles in 2 runs for the Nats in the first inning. 2-0 over the Cards.

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Nationals lead the Cardinals 2-0 in the bottom of the first in D.C. Gio Gonzalez vs Adam Wainwright.

Kc61
08-31-2012, 07:34 PM
They face Gio tonight and Jordan Zimmerman tomorrow. Not sure about Sunday. Detwiler?
I'm going to the Saturday game that Zimmerman is pitching. I had tickets to 5 Nats games this season and he will have started 4 of them. How's that for luck. :lol: I saw Edwin Jackson the other game. You think I could lucked into seeing Strasburg just once.

Nothing special, Sunday, just Strasburg scheduled. LOL, but true.

Brutus
08-31-2012, 08:00 PM
3-0 Nats on a Desmond single

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2012, 08:00 PM
3-0 Nationals after an Ian Desmond RBI single. Nats still have runners on first and second with only one out.

Gio Gonzalez has retired the first nine Cardinals batters.

Brutus
08-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Single for Espinosa, 4-0 Nats with first & third, still only one out

Brutus
08-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Suzuki singles, 5-0 Nats.

The Operator
08-31-2012, 08:14 PM
6-0 Nats now.

What's going on with The Cards? They're going into a tailspin. Not that there's anything wrong that. :)

08-31-2012, 08:17 PM
6-0 Nats now.

What's going on with The Cards? They're going into a tailspin. Not that there's anything wrong that. :)

Shipment was late. Won't get new stuff 'till the first of the month ;)

backbencher
08-31-2012, 08:18 PM
What's going on with The Cards? They're going into a tailspin.

Hypothesis: If pythagorean record and actual record diverge, sometimes actual record catches up to pythagoras. Other times, pythagoras catches up to actual record. The 2012 Pirates (actual record in first part of year better than run differential), 2012 Cards (actual record in first part of year worse than run differential) could be examples of the latter.

Brutus
08-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Hypothesis: If pythagorean record and actual record diverge, sometimes actual record catches up to pythagoras. Other times, pythagoras catches up to actual record. The 2012 Pirates (actual record in first part of year better than run differential), 2012 Cards (actual record in first part of year worse than run differential) could be examples of the latter.

Agree 100%. I don't think it's always wise to assume the difference between Pythag and record is being "lucky" or "unlucky."

Brutus
08-31-2012, 08:27 PM
In a couple of divisional races:

Baltimore leads the Yankees 4-0 in the 6th in NY. If Baltimore takes 2 or 3 this weekend, that race will be very close.

Detroit leads the Chi Sox 4-3 in Detroit in the 5th. The White Sox have led for much of the year, though Detroit is still hanging close.

Tom Servo
08-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Milwaukee with a 4 spot on Pittsburgh in the first.

Tom Servo
08-31-2012, 09:02 PM
8-0 Washington. St. Louis still with just 1 hit so far.

Brutus
08-31-2012, 09:14 PM
8-0 Washington. St. Louis still with just 1 hit so far.

And 5-0 'crew.

Reds *could* start September 9.5 and 10 games up respectively.

Brutus
08-31-2012, 09:17 PM
Braves were up 4-1 on Philly but the Phillies have tied it at 4-4 in the 6th.

dougdirt
08-31-2012, 10:03 PM
10-0 Nationals in the 9th.

Tony Cloninger
08-31-2012, 10:05 PM
The Rays have been blowing chances to take the AL east lead.

I like them but can they not develop any hitters besides maybe 1-2 guys? I have not seen a worse hitting AL DH type team since the 1989 Angels..or was it 1991? I cannot recall exactly.

OldXOhio
08-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Here come the Cardinals

Brutus
08-31-2012, 10:09 PM
The Rays have been blowing chances to take the AL east lead.

I like them but can they not develop any hitters besides maybe 1-2 guys? I have not seen a worse hitting AL DH type team since the 1989 Angels..or was it 1991? I cannot recall exactly.

They have, but the Orioles are getting it done... against the better judgment of Pythagoras.

fearofpopvol1
08-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Wow, amazing what a few days can do. Assuming the Reds hold on tonight, they are in mighty fine shape to start September. Let's hope the Reds can sweep this series.

corkedbat
08-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Here come the Cardinals

And there go the Cardinals. Could the Reds hold a 10-game Central lead by the close of business tomorrow? Amazing performance by this team. They clinched a non-losing season tonight and can cinch a winning-record tomorrow with nearly a month to go.

Brutus
08-31-2012, 11:27 PM
And there go the Cardinals. Could the Reds hold a 10-game Central lead by the close of business tomorrow? Amazing performance by this team. They clinched a non-losing season tonight and can cinch a winning-record tomorrow with nearly a month to go.

If the Reds don't win the division now, it will unfortunately be a part of history.

Brutus
08-31-2012, 11:37 PM
The mighty Dodgers are losing 3-0 to the D-backs in the 5th.

The A's continue steamrolling right along, up 8-1 on Boston. The A's and Orioles could still wind up stealing the division from the Rangers and Yankees.

Sea Ray
09-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Wow, amazing what a few days can do. Assuming the Reds hold on tonight, they are in might fine shape to start September. Let's hope the Reds can sweep this series.

Indeed. Hard to believe that just a week ago the Cardinals were gearing up for a big series in Cincinnati

marcshoe
09-01-2012, 01:55 AM
I haven't felt this good about a Reds team since 77. I'm not stressing at all. Sure they might not win the World Series, but they've made the right moves and put themselves exactly where they need to be. After the lost decade, sittinv back and enjoying a season feels really good.

Scrap Irony
09-01-2012, 03:01 AM
I haven't felt this good about a Reds team since 77. I'm not stressing at all. Sure they might not win the World Series, but they've made the right moves and put themselves exactly where they need to be. After the lost decade, sittinv back and enjoying a season feels really good.

Not only that, they're set up for a few years as well. The signing of Votto and Phillips, the emergence of Cozart and Frazier, Bruce, Hanigan, and, most importantly, pretty much the entire pitching staff with the exception of Arroyo are long-timers.

OldXOhio
09-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Some very smart people on this board predicted STL's demise with this 10 game roadie, even after they took 2/3 in Cincy.

That said, I still don't want to see them in October once games 160-162 are complete.

Tadasimha
09-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Nationals taking it to the Cardinals, up 4-0 after one. Got some help from a dropped fly ball by Matt Holiday that would have ended the inning with only 1 run given up and poor fielding plus some timely hitting against Lohse.

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2012, 04:48 PM
4-2 Nationals now after David Freese hit a 2-run HR on strike 4.

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2012, 04:59 PM
LaRoche with a long 2-run HR makes it 6-2 Nationals in the bottom of the second inning.

Scrap Irony
09-01-2012, 05:09 PM
While the big story may be a lack of St. Louis' offense, the Cardinal pitching staff has really stunk of late. It seems as if they're behind by four or five runs before the game even gets started.

traderumor
09-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Slugfest brewing in the Capital. 6-4 now after Holliday blasts one.

RollyInRaleigh
09-01-2012, 05:37 PM
8-6 birds.

Kc61
09-01-2012, 06:26 PM
9-8 Nats in the sixth. Crazy ballgame.

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Great baserunning by Harper there as the Nats regain a 9-8 lead heading to the 7th inning.

fearofpopvol1
09-01-2012, 07:04 PM
9-9 now STL/WAS

Degenerate39
09-01-2012, 07:24 PM
10-9 Cards top of the 9th

Degenerate39
09-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Cards win

Tom Servo
09-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Cards win
boooooooo

The Operator
09-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Apparently Chris Carpenter has rubbed off on Cardinals fans as well. Even they are now the keepers of baseball etiquette.

http://birdsonthebat.org/showthread.php?t=64408

Brutus
09-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Apparently Chris Carpenter has rubbed off on Cardinals fans as well. Even they are now the keepers of baseball etiquette.

http://birdsonthebat.org/showthread.php?t=64408

I wish to subscribe to their newsletter.

Chip R
09-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Whatever happened to "Cy" Loshe?

cumberlandreds
09-02-2012, 12:37 PM
I attended that Cards/Nats game yesterday. The Cards looked dead to the world that 1st inning.Two just horrible errors by Holiday and their SS. But thanks to Zimmerman having his worst start of his career the Cards bats finally came alive. Holiday's HR was a bomb deep up into that cf grassy area.Good game to watch though. A back and forth slugfest without many walks is fun to watch. Lots of Cardinal fans at Nationals Park. Their fans are just as annoying as their team. Tried the whole game to get a Lets go Cards chant going but usually got booed down.

Vottomatic
09-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Pie-rats losing 9-4 in the bottom of the 4th.

Vottomatic
09-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Cards down 2-0 bottom of the 6th.

vaticanplum
09-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Pie-rats losing 9-4 in the bottom of the 4th.

Now 11-4, still the fourth. I've been saying the Pirates are normalizing, but I think we're now bordering on them actually starting to tank.

Chip R
09-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Cards have tied it up.

vaticanplum
09-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Brewers-Pirates now 11-6 in the fifth. Real pitchers' duel.

vaticanplum
09-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Pssst....Chip, there's an annual thread that's ready for your call-up.

cincrazy
09-02-2012, 06:44 PM
The Braves have lost 10 of their last 14, and are getting drilled again today. Are we seeing a repeat of last year?

Chip R
09-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Pssst....Chip, there's an annual thread that's ready for your call-up.

Not quite yet. That second wild card prolongs their misery for a little while longer.

vaticanplum
09-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Not quite yet. That second wild card prolongs their misery for a little while longer.

Are you sure? Check out the standings page on mlb.com. I mean, I don't want you to jump the gun, but I also don't want to delay our board's joy.

Tom Servo
09-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Chipper Jones with a walkoff HR as the Braves put a 5 spot on Philadelphia in the 9th to win.

Chip R
09-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Are you sure? Check out the standings page on mlb.com. I mean, I don't want you to jump the gun, but I also don't want to delay our board's joy.

I did and, unless I'm mistaken, their "tragic number" is at 9. Number of #2 WC wins (StL) which is 72 plus the Cubs losses, which is 82 subtracted from 163.

vaticanplum
09-02-2012, 08:58 PM
I did and, unless I'm mistaken, their "tragic number" is at 9. Number of #2 WC wins (StL) which is 72 plus the Cubs losses, which is 82 subtracted from 163.

OH. They're out of contention for the division only. I'm so sorry. I just keep thinking this should have happened in May.

Chip R
09-02-2012, 09:10 PM
OH. They're out of contention for the division only. I'm so sorry. I just keep thinking this should have happened in May.

Theoretically it could have. :D

Problem is here that we, as Reds fans, are at somewhat of cross purposes here. We want StL to lose so we can clinch sooner, but every StL loss delays the Cubs being eliminated sooner. Of course they will be eliminated soon enough but it is a bit of a dilemma.

Tadasimha
09-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Chipper Jones with a walkoff HR as the Braves put a 5 spot on Philadelphia in the 9th to win.

Plus the Dodgers got a walk-off win over the Diamondbacks as well, which pulls them within a 1/2 game of the Cars for the 2nd wildcard spot.

To have the Cards drop out of the playoffs completely would be an excellent appetizer to the main course of the Reds getting to the World Series!

traderumor
09-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Wow, just watched highlights, between Prado's "double" and the walk-off, that was a clear example of a team where its just not their season. Third baseman fields that, probably a different outcome.

Jefferson24
09-02-2012, 11:52 PM
To have the Cards drop out of the playoffs completely would be an excellent appetizer to the main course of the Reds getting to the World Series!

Couldn't agreed more. I really enjoy their fans running around distraught because their team isn't winning.

Playadlc
09-03-2012, 01:44 AM
The Brewers are 11-2 their last 13 and are now only 6.5 out of the 2nd wildcard spot.

traderumor
09-03-2012, 10:43 AM
The Brewers are 11-2 their last 13 and are now only 6.5 out of the 2nd wildcard spot.I just don't see how they could make something happen over the course of another whole month. Stranger things have happened, but I think this is just a short term hot streak and not sustainable.

Revering4Blue
09-03-2012, 06:51 PM
The Astros--yes, the Astros--beat the Pirates 5-1.

Of course, the Mets lost to the Cards 5-4.

The Operator
09-04-2012, 01:03 AM
It looks like The Pirates are performing an encore of last year.

I expected them to fade but they're really falling apart. The only thing keeping their season alive is the second wildcard and even then I'd say their chances are slim.

I would feel bad for them, but they really rubbed me the wrong way during their list visit to GABP. From the whole attitude over the HBP to Hughes shoving Navarro, they honestly reminded me a lot of The Cardinals - you know, just without any real success to back it up.

kaldaniels
09-04-2012, 08:48 AM
It looks like The Pirates are performing an encore of last year.

I expected them to fade but they're really falling apart. The only thing keeping their season alive is the second wildcard and even then I'd say their chances are slim.

I would feel bad for them, but they really rubbed me the wrong way during their list visit to GABP. From the whole attitude over the HBP to Hughes shoving Navarro, they honestly reminded me a lot of The Cardinals - you know, just without any real success to back it up.

They are only 6 games over .500, having a winning season is not a certainty for them at this point, especially with their recent play. They do have a favorable schedule of course.

Sea Ray
09-04-2012, 09:07 AM
The Brewers are 11-2 their last 13 and are now only 6.5 out of the 2nd wildcard spot.

"only" 6.5 out? That's a ton in a bunched up race like the WC. They have no shot especially with KRod blowing games for them

membengal
09-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Not NL, but permit this diversion to note the Orioles have now run the Yankees down and are tied for first in the AL East. They've made up 10 games on the Yankees since mid-July. Latest Orioles have been in first since 1997.

Improbable, but, delightful, from that downtrodden franchise, however this comes out.

Brutus
09-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Not NL, but permit this diversion to note the Orioles have now run the Yankees down and are tied for first in the AL East. They've made up 10 games on the Yankees since mid-July. Latest Orioles have been in first since 1997.

Improbable, but, delightful, from that downtrodden franchise, however this comes out.

I'd love to see Baltimore win, but the Yankees should be especially terrified of Tampa Bay. I still think that team is going to wind up winning the East.

HeatherC1212
09-05-2012, 12:08 AM
I LOVE seeing the Orioles screw things up in the AL East by continuing to play well and win games. :D

Tom Servo
09-05-2012, 12:13 AM
I'd love to see Baltimore win, but the Yankees should be especially terrified of Tampa Bay. I still think that team is going to wind up winning the East.
I just don't think Tampa Bay will have enough offense to pull it off.

Brutus
09-05-2012, 12:16 AM
I just don't think Tampa Bay will have enough offense to pull it off.

You could say the same for Oakland, Baltimore, the Dodgers, Pittsburgh, San Francisco and even Cincinnati or Washington.

Run prevention is showing to be more important than run scoring.

traderumor
09-05-2012, 09:37 AM
The O's are still negative pythag, have been all year, but now after getting in the race with an unsustainable one run game record, they have improved +36 on their RS/RA in the last 11 games to be only -11 for the year. It is unlikely that they will make the playoffs without making the rest of that up by being good.

They are doing now essentially what the Pirates did in June/July. The main difference is that the Yankees have been floundering for a couple of months now, whereas the Reds were hot at the same time as the Pirates.

Sea Ray
09-05-2012, 10:53 AM
The O's are still negative pythag, have been all year, but now after getting in the race with an unsustainable one run game record, they have improved +36 on their RS/RA in the last 11 games to be only -11 for the year. It is unlikely that they will make the playoffs without making the rest of that up by being good.

They are doing now essentially what the Pirates did in June/July. The main difference is that the Yankees have been floundering for a couple of months now, whereas the Reds were hot at the same time as the Pirates.

Teams like Oakland and Baltimore must drive the sabermetric types to :alcohol:

HeatherC1212
09-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Hehe, that's why I love the O's so much this year...they drive the stats guys absolutely nuts, LOL :lol: :beerme: :p

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2012, 12:04 PM

The A's are +74 this year in RS/RA.

Redsfan320
09-05-2012, 01:06 PM

Really? Someone should let ESPiN know about that. While you're there, you should probably tell them about the Reds record too. haha.

11larkin11
09-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Really? Someone should let ESPiN know about that. While you're there, you should probably tell them about the Reds record too. haha.

I hate ESPN as much as the next guy, but they have no problem talking bad about the Yankees. They just love (for ratings purposes) TALKING about them, good or bad. They have been talking a lot the last few days about the Yankees plummet.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Mets lead the Cardinals 2-0 in the third inning.

Tom Servo
09-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Wainwright homered off Dickey in the third. 2-1 game to the bottom of 4.

brad1176
09-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Top of the sixth, it's 5-1 Mets. Shelby Miller in to pitch for the Cards

Homer Bailey
09-05-2012, 03:54 PM

Not really. They're an extreme outlier. I'm certainly rooting for them.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Mets lead the Cardinals 5-2 heading to the 8th inning.

OldRightHander
09-05-2012, 04:12 PM
6-2 now

OesterPoster
09-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Just noticed that Berkman is playing. How many cortisone shots has that guy had this year?

OesterPoster
09-05-2012, 04:43 PM
LOL. Molina hit into a fly-out double play to end it.

Kc61
09-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Mets win. RA Dickey near lock for the Cy Young Award. Cards lose a chance to gain on Reds. Still 8.5 back.

Brutus
09-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Mets win. RA Dickey near lock for the Cy Young Award. Cards lose a chance to gain on Reds. Still 8.5 back.

I don't think he's anywhere near a lock. In fact, I've seen a lot of people suggest Cueto leads for the award.

OesterPoster
09-05-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't think he's anywhere near a lock. In fact, I've seen a lot of people suggest Cueto leads for the award.

Not national media types. After Dickey's last start, a ton of baseball writers I follow on Twitter were pretty much handing it to him.

OesterPoster
09-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Buster thinks it's close though:

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

In the aftermath of the last week of games, I'd guess that R.A. Dickey and Johnny Cueto are neck-and-neck for Cy Young.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-05-2012, 04:57 PM
A player on a New York City team will have an advantage over a player on a Cincinnati team, no doubt, regardless of the teams' standings.

Cueto can ill-afford another loss if he wants to stay in this race.

Brutus
09-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Not national media types. After Dickey's last start, a ton of baseball writers I follow on Twitter were pretty much handing it to him.

This was written about 10 days ago by SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/cliff_corcoran/08/23/justin-verlander-cy-young-watch/index.html

I could find many writers that have Cueto leading.

Tadasimha
09-05-2012, 05:01 PM

Rooting for a Dodgers win tonight!

PuffyPig
09-05-2012, 05:23 PM

How does that happen? The baserunner's run wasn't important. He must have forgotten how many outs there were.

oregonred
09-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Still trying to figure out how our old friend Yadier has seemingly gone from a career .685 OPS hitting catcher through age 28 (with over 3000+ AB's) to an elite .850+ OPS level while catching 130+ games over the last few years...

Who's that hitting coach over in St Louie?

Brutus
09-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Still trying to figure out how our old friend Yadier has seemingly gone from a career .685 OPS hitting catcher through age 28 (with over 3000+ AB's) to an elite .850+ OPS level while catching 130+ games over the last few years...

Who's that hitting coach over in St Louie?

There seems to be two reasons for it:

1. His BABIP is 20 points higher this year (.331), and

2. His ISO power is up quite a bit the last two seasons, this year especially from a higher HR/FB rate

The BABIP is part of it. That doesn't seem to be too much of a fluke as his line drive rate is really, really high.

But that does beg the question, is the power surge and harder contact on account of development, mechanics or something unnatural? He's always been a good hitter, but the power is something that's just come along the last two years. My guess is there's probably nothing sinister about it, but in this day and age you never know for certain. In fairness, 28 years old is the peak of a player's power, typically, so it's not far-fetched.

Kc61
09-06-2012, 01:00 AM

Dickey is having perhaps the best season of any knuckleballer in the history of baseball. His numbers are as good as the other Cy Young candidates and in some respects better. He has won 18 games already for a bad team. He has a great personal story and plays in a major market where he is well liked. Cueto is a controversial figure in light of the fight with the Cards.

Dickey is 18-4 while Cueto is 17-7. Cueto has a slightly better ERA. Dickey has a slightly better WHIP and more Ks. Before today's win, Dickey had a slightly better FIP, xFIP. Cueto's WAR was slightly better.

I think Dickey will win this award by a wide margin unless his performance deteriorates over the last weeks of the season.

Brutus
09-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Dickey is having perhaps the best season of any knuckleballer in the history of baseball. His numbers are as good as the other Cy Young candidates and in some respects better. He has won 18 games already for a bad team. He has a great personal story and plays in a major market where he is well liked. Cueto is a controversial figure in light of the fight with the Cards.

Dickey is 18-4 while Cueto is 17-7. Cueto has a slightly better ERA. Dickey has a slightly better WHIP and more Ks. Before today's win, Dickey had a slightly better FIP, xFIP. Cueto's WAR was slightly better.

I think Dickey will win this award by a wide margin unless his performance deteriorates over the last weeks of the season.

So you think a player with very similar stats on a bad team will win it by a large margin over a team with the second-best record in baseball? That is quite a limb you're going out on, especially considering history tells us the exact opposite is more likely. I'm honestly not sure what his being a knuckleballer has to do with it. The Cy Young isn't for the best knuckleballer of all time. It's for the best pitcher in the league. Historically, it goes more often to the best pitcher on one of the best teams.

Wonderful Monds
09-06-2012, 01:38 AM
So you think a player with very similar stats on a bad team will win it by a large margin over a team with the second-best record in baseball? That is quite a limb you're going out on, especially considering history tells us the exact opposite is more likely. I'm honestly not sure what his being a knuckleballer has to do with it. The Cy Young isn't for the best knuckleballer of all time. It's for the best pitcher in the league. Historically, it goes more often to the best pitcher on one of the best teams.

The knuckleball thing will make a big difference. If the stats are close, the knuckleballer takes the tie.

Brutus
09-06-2012, 01:49 AM
The knuckleball thing will make a big difference. If the stats are close, the knuckleballer takes the tie.

I don't see any evidence of the voters (i.e. baseball writers) caring that he's a knuckleballer. There's only one recent knuckleballer that was ever in the Cy Young conversation (Wakefield) and he finished no higher than third (although his season wasn't as good as Randy Johnson that year).

Nonetheless, I think fans are making a bigger deal out of his being a knuckleballer than the voting sportswriters are. Even if it matters a bit, he still has the 'playing on a losing team' thing working against him.

Wonderful Monds
09-06-2012, 02:52 AM
I don't see any evidence of the voters (i.e. baseball writers) caring that he's a knuckleballer. There's only one recent knuckleballer that was ever in the Cy Young conversation (Wakefield) and he finished no higher than third (although his season wasn't as good as Randy Johnson that year).

Nonetheless, I think fans are making a bigger deal out of his being a knuckleballer than the voting sportswriters are. Even if it matters a bit, he still has the 'playing on a losing team' thing working against him.

Sure. But as I mentioned in the MVP debate, the Cy Young hasnt really seemed to favor contending players in the same manner as the MVP has.

cumberlandreds
09-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Gio Gonzalez won his 18th last night. He has to be in the running for Cy Young too.

cumberlandreds
09-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Nats and Cubs got into a mini brawl last night. It all started because the Cubs took exception to Jayson Werth swinging on a 3-0 pitch with the bases loaded in the 5th inning of a 7-2 game. How dumb is that?

http://www.wtop.com/490/2329436/Nats-sweep-Cubs

oneupper
09-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Nats and Cubs got into a mini brawl last night. It all started because the Cubs took exception to Jayson Werth swinging on a 3-0 pitch with the bases loaded in the 5th inning of a 7-2 game. How dumb is that?

http://www.wtop.com/490/2329436/Nats-sweep-Cubs

Seriously? Why are the Cubs still playing the season? Just forfeit the rest of your games.

cumberlandreds
09-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Seriously? Why are the Cubs still playing the season? Just forfeit the rest of your games.

That's pretty much what the Nats announcers said when they brushed back Harper. I was watching and about to go to bed when things started happening. I didn't know what in the world was going on when they showed Bo Porter yelling into the Cubs dugout. Then the brushback was just stupid and so obvious. But the umpires didn't throw Castillo out of the game. That really puzzled me as why they didn't do that.

WildcatFan
09-07-2012, 09:32 AM
That's pretty much what the Nats announcers said when they brushed back Harper. I was watching and about to go to bed when things started happening. I didn't know what in the world was going on when they showed Bo Porter yelling into the Cubs dugout. Then the brushback was just stupid and so obvious. But the umpires didn't throw Castillo out of the game. That really puzzled me as why they didn't do that.

One Nats announcer summed up the Cubs in a sentence: "And now they're gonna throw at a teenager."

Here's the video. It's not quite a Brennaman rant, but it's pretty good.
http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120906&content_id=38015826&vkey=news_was&c_id=was

oneupper
09-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Good thing the Nats got rid of Njer Morgan. With him, things could have escalated unnecessarily.

PuffyPig
09-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Cueto's WAR was slightly better.

Cueto has a 6.0 WAR, Dickey's at 5.0. A 20% margin is hardly "slight". It would be like the difference between 17 and 20 wins, or a 2.50 ERA or a 3.00 ERA.

Chip R
09-07-2012, 10:02 AM
One Nats announcer summed up the Cubs in a sentence: "And now they're gonna throw at a teenager."

Not to defend the Cubs but Harper's not exactly a 13 year old kid. He's a 19 year old man and he's playing in the major leagues. If he does something where he deserves to get thrown at, his age shouldn't be a concern.

Good thing the Nats got rid of Njer Morgan. With him, things could have escalated unnecessarily.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/587208/anchorman_brick_with_trident.jpg

kaldaniels
09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I love the nuances of a baseball brawl...

- 2 opposing veterans locking onto each other just looking to stay out of it

- the sight of the bullpens lumbering towards the action

Anyone have others?

WildcatFan
09-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Not to defend the Cubs but Harper's not exactly a 13 year old kid. He's a 19 year old man and he's playing in the major leagues. If he does something where he deserves to get thrown at, his age shouldn't be a concern.

I just thought it was funny. Harper carried himself well--didn't do anything stupid.

Chip R
09-07-2012, 10:31 AM
I just thought it was funny. Harper carried himself well--didn't do anything stupid.

I'm sure he did - and didn't. I'm not sure why Harper got thrown at since Werth was the one who swung 3-0. And I saw that brushback pitch. Don Drysdale is rolling over in his grave. That was pitiful. But those are the Cubs for you. :rolleyes:

traderumor
09-07-2012, 10:34 AM

Here's the video. It's not quite a Brennaman rant, but it's pretty good.
http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120906&content_id=38015826&vkey=news_was&c_id=was

With that logic, I guess they should just throw the ball very slow, down the middle, so the widdle kid can have a better chance to hit the ball and get on base? T-ball, maybe, MLB, not so much.

The whole thing that started it is really laughable. Pull out the Sparky idea here: "I'll try to stop scoring when you do."

_Sir_Charles_
09-07-2012, 10:48 AM

From the post game stuff, it seems that Quirk was shouting profanities at Porter and he was pissed because Jayson Werth was swinging away at 3-0 when they were up big in the 5th inning. The ump tossed Quirk because he felt that he completely started it and really stepped over the line with the vocabulary. As for Porter, he jawed back, but never crossed that line apparently.

And by the way, for those who didn't watch the highlights of that game, check out the triple by Harper and then subsequent scoring from third highlights. Good stuff.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24547811&c_id=mlb
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24547841&c_id=mlb

Chip R
09-07-2012, 10:54 AM
You want to see something strange, check out this video from the Braves-Rockies game last night featuring our old friend Juan Francisco scoring on a heads up play.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24547543&topic_id=11493214

Tom Servo
09-07-2012, 11:26 AM
It all started because the Cubs took exception to Jayson Werth swinging on a 3-0 pitch with the bases loaded in the 5th inning of a 7-2 game.
That is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Kc61
09-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Cueto has a 6.0 WAR, Dickey's at 5.0. A 20% margin is hardly "slight". It would be like the difference between 17 and 20 wins, or a 2.50 ERA or a 3.00 ERA.

Fangraphs pitching WAR list has different numbers.

Gio Gonzalez 4.9
Kershaw 4.9
Strasburg 4.6
Cueto 4.6
Dickey 4.4

Like I said, slight difference.

Brutus
09-07-2012, 11:30 AM
That is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

I was shocked when I heard that was their reasoning. Seriously, I have often complained about the pettiness of baseball's unwritten codes and the zeal to throw at batters at a sort of retaliation, but that might be the worst reason ever.

klw
09-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Sounds like it is a good night to be at Wrigley Field

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/illinois/chicago/wrigleyfield/?cam=wrigleyfield_hd

Cubs are on the road but Springsteen is there. Cubs up 12-0 in Pitt and Travis Wood has a one hitter. But lets see Wrigley got rain today and now with two straight days of concerts. It is a good thing the Reds aren't going to Chicago for 10 days.

Kc61
09-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Cards up 2-0 over Brewers in the first. Would have been wise for Reds to win tonight.

Brutus
09-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Cards up 2-0 over Brewers in the first. Would have been wise for Reds to win tonight.

Eh, the Cardinals aren't catching the Reds. That ship sailed about a week ago when they fell back to 9.5 games.

cincrazy
09-07-2012, 10:53 PM

Probably would've been more wise for the Cardinals not to fall 8.5 back of us :).

If the Cardinals surpass the Reds and win the Central, I will get a Cardinals logo tattooed on my forehead.

Tom Servo
09-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Eh, the Cardinals aren't catching the Reds. That ship sailed about a week ago when they fell back to 9.5 games.
My brain says your right, but my fears refuse to let me believe it's over until it's mathematically impossible. I felt the same way in 2010 about the Cards.

cincrazy
09-07-2012, 10:56 PM
My brain says your right, but my fears refuse to let me believe it's over until it's mathematically impossible. I felt the same way in 2010 about the Cards.

We've got nothing to worry about brother. Truthfully, this month doesn't even matter. All that matters is how we're playing in October.

Brutus
09-07-2012, 11:00 PM

For as statistically unlikely as that was, coming back from 8.5 with 25 games left, they'd have to come back from 7.5 with 22 games left if they won tonight.

It's not impossible, as we've seen it done before, but I'm definitely not losing any sleep over that happening (again).

Tom Servo
09-07-2012, 11:12 PM
For as statistically unlikely as that was, coming back from 8.5 with 25 games left, they'd have to come back from 7.5 with 22 games left if they won tonight.

It's not impossible, as we've seen it done before, but I'm definitely not losing any sleep over that happening (again).
I actually wasn't referring to last year, I mean when we won the division in 2010. I just didn't sleep well until the Reds officially clinched the division. But that's just me. :dunno:

Brutus
09-07-2012, 11:14 PM
I actually wasn't referring to last year, I mean when we won the division in 2010. I just didn't sleep well until the Reds officially clinched the division. But that's just me. :dunno:

Hm, yeah last year wasn't 2010. I got a little mixed up on what year this is lol

I didn't sleep too well in 2010, but the race was a little closer for most of August and September than it has been this year. I stopped worrying this year after the calendar turned with nearly a 10-game lead.

WVPacman
09-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Hey brutus,so how many games are we i8n front of the cards as we speak without counting the cards win or lost tonight?

cincrazy
09-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Hey brutus,so how many games are we i8n front of the cards as we speak without counting the cards win or lost tonight?

Currently 8 games up.

WVPacman
09-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Currently 8 games up.

Lord I know that I should feel very comfortable but I can't b/c im a worry wart.:(:D

Tom Servo
09-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Milwaukee just tied it up in St. Louis in the 7th.

Hollcat
09-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Brewers with a 4-2 lead, bottom of 8th

Hollcat
09-08-2012, 01:20 AM
I should not have continued watching! Molina with a 2 run hr to tie the game in 8th

Brutus
09-08-2012, 02:49 AM
Score a run for PEDs in the 13th. 5-4 Brew Crew

Tom Servo
09-08-2012, 03:01 AM
Holy crap, I had no idea this game was still going

Brutus
09-08-2012, 03:02 AM
Holy crap, I had no idea this game was still going

Neither did Lance Lynn on the hanging curve to Braun.

Brutus
09-08-2012, 03:06 AM
Brewers win. Reds manage to gain another game off their magic number.

Tom Servo
Thank you Milwaukee!

WebScorpion
Wow, the Brewers finally scored in the 13th and put the Cards away. Magic Number is now 16!! :thumbup:

Brutus
09-08-2012, 01:42 PM
In the 'race for No. 1' news, the Marlins are up 3-0 on the now Strasburg-less Nats in the 2nd.

Kc61
09-08-2012, 06:33 PM
After long rain delay, Nats tie the Marlins in the bottom of the ninth on a Jayson Werth home run. 6-6 with the Nats still batting. Now going to extras.

Nats ultimately prevail Saturday after Miami prevailed Friday.

The Operator
09-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Cardinals down 8-3 now in the 7th, Padres still batting.

WVRedsFan
09-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Wouldn't it be an advantage to not have the best record so as not to face the Cards?

Kc61
09-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Pads now up 11-3 over Cards with our old friend Deno having a big night.

I'm sure the Cards are delighted to have this west coast trip right now. Their four game LA series next weekend shaping up for a real wild card battle.

WebScorpion
09-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Wouldn't it be an advantage to not have the best record so as not to face the Cards?I'm still hoping for a 3-game sweep of the Cards to end our regular season and knock them out of the playoffs altogether. ;)

Cards lose 11-3! It's final.

Brutus
09-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Wouldn't it be an advantage to not have the best record so as not to face the Cards?

I'd much rather face the Cards than have to deal with the San Francisco rotation.

11larkin11
09-11-2012, 02:24 AM
I still don't know why people assume the Cards will be the WC. I think the Dodgers will overtake them, and even if they don't, Atlanta is a much better team than St. Louis.

OldXOhio
09-11-2012, 09:10 AM

SIAP...

You'd think so WV until you look at the convoluted way MLB has set up the postseason. If the playoffs started today, I think we'd be up against the Giants having to play the first two in SF.

Boss-Hog
09-11-2012, 10:13 AM
SIAP...

You'd think so WV until you look at the convoluted way MLB has set up the postseason. If the playoffs started today, I think we'd be up against the Giants having to play the first two in SF.

Unfortunately, that is correct.

Brutus
09-11-2012, 10:14 PM
The Brewers and Phillies are starting to apply pressure on the second wild card, where the Dodgers and Pirates seem to be falling short of surpassing the Cardinals.

The Phillies lead 9-7 over the Marlins in the 8th. The Brewers have gone up 2-0 on the Braves in the bottom of the 7th with 2 on and 2 out.

Both teams would be 4 1/2 games out of the wildcard, pending the result of tonight's Cardinals-Padres game.

Brutus
09-11-2012, 10:17 PM
4-0 Brewers now.

The Orioles beat the Rays tonight, so they'll be back into a tie and playing footsie with the Yankees if the Red Sox can pull it out at Fenway (3-3 in the bottom of the 9th). Detroit is up 3-2 on Chicago and the Nats are trying to hold on to a 5-3 lead in the bottom of the 9th against the Mets.

OesterPoster
09-11-2012, 10:37 PM
I really don't want to see Philly anywhere near the playoffs.

Gizmo
09-11-2012, 10:52 PM
I really don't want to see Philly anywhere near the playoffs.

Me either, but the way things have been going lately there is a realistic chance it happens.

The Operator
09-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Me either, but the way things have been going lately there is a realistic chance it happens.Milwaukee is getting into the picture as well.

At this point I definitely think The Brewers will pass up The Pirates, even if they don't end up getting close to a Wild Card spot.

WVRedsFan
09-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Volquez pitching for SD and the Cardinals lead 2-0 in the third. EV already at 55 pitches.

Kc61
09-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Washington Nats will have a big role in the wild card race. After tomorrow, Nats play the Braves, Dodgers, Brewers (4), Phils, Cards, Phils.

Kc61
09-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Padres with a rally lead Cards 3-2 in the fourth with men still on base, one out.

OesterPoster
09-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Pads up 3-2 now. Bases loaded.

3-2 Padres bottom of the fourth. Two run bases loaded double by Forsyth.

Tom Servo
Hey did you guys hear? Pads up 3-2 in the 4th.

Kc61
09-11-2012, 11:29 PM
5-2 Pads now.

Volquez up with man on third. Go EV. Mighty Endison has struck out.

WVRedsFan
09-11-2012, 11:30 PM
EV settles down, well as much as EV can settle down and allows no more while the Padres feast on Wainwright pitches. EV at 71 pitches through four. Four walks so far. Hope he gets a win tonight!

OesterPoster
09-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Wow, Alonso is slooooowwwww. Thrown out easily on a chopper, but then Amarista doubled in two more. 5-2

BuckeyeRedleg
09-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Unlike last year, the Cards are now the hunted. See how they like it. I think it would be awesome if Milwaukee or better yet, Philly, caught them. Although, as others have mentioned, we want no part of Philly.

OesterPoster
09-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Like Marty mentioned tonight...he would be shocked if two teams don't end in a tie, requiring a playoff to become the wild card. If that happens, someone is going to burn up their two best pitchers before a potential matchup with the Reds.

Brutus
09-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Edinson got into some trouble in the 5th, but got out of it with strikeouts of Molina and Freese.

HokieRed
Volquez shaky in the 5th but gets through. 5-2 Pads, bottom 5.

WVRedsFan
Volquez survives the fifth. EV at 93 pitches through five. 5-2 Fathers

reds44
09-11-2012, 11:47 PM
At some point do we start rooting for the Cardinals to keep the Phillies out?

Phillies and Brewers on the verge of being 4 out.

WVRedsFan
09-11-2012, 11:51 PM

Yes, but let's get that double digit lead first.

Gizmo
09-11-2012, 11:51 PM

I would say yes, but I don't want the Cards in just as much as I don't want the Phillies or Brewers in. If I have to pull for a 2nd WC, I guess it would be the Pirates. In the end, the more I think about it, the more it doesn't matter. At some point we'll have to play (hopefully) a few good teams in the playoffs to win the World Series. I'll let those teams worry about who gets in, and I'll worry about the Reds winning in October.

Brutus
09-11-2012, 11:52 PM

At this point, the Phillies, even if they came back, would have to beat Atlanta, then beat Washington and the Reds would have to beat the Giants. While I'd abhor playing Philly in the NLCS, that's such a distant possibility right now I'm not too worried about it.

WVRedsFan
09-11-2012, 11:53 PM
At this point, the Phillies, even if they came back, would have to beat Atlanta, then beat Washington and the Reds would have to beat the Giants. While I'd abhor playing Philly in the NLCS, that's such a distant possibility right now I'm not too worried about it.

Word. Just win the division and go from there

Brutus
09-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Just for the fun of it:

Let's say 2.3% chance of Philadelphia making the playoffs (according to ESPN's odds)

Let's say 50% chance of beating Atlanta in a wildcard game

Let's say 45% chance of beating Washington in a 5-game series

That's a 0.5% chance of Philadelphia getting to the NLCS. So basically, 1-in-200 that the Reds might face Philadelphia if they were to get past the Giants? Doesn't seem like a big enough reason to worry about for now. If the Reds were to overtake the Nationals, it would be a slightly different story.

Gizmo
09-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Just for the fun of it:

Let's say 2.3% chance of Philadelphia making the playoffs (according to ESPN's odds)

That's a 0.5% chance of Philadelphia getting to the NLCS. So basically, 1-in-200 that the Reds might face Philadelphia if they were to get past the Giants? Doesn't seem like a big enough reason to worry about for now. If the Reds were to overtake the Nationals, it would be a slightly different story.

Moving past the 2.3% chance (I'd call it closer to 5-10%, but whatever). Once they'd get in I'd imagine 50% and 45% would be on the low side. We've seen the last couple years what being the hot team coming into the playoffs can do for your chances. That's what scares me about facing any of the Phillies or Brewers in the playoffs. Right now they're the teams heating up late and we're the team looking a bit tired.

WVRedsFan
09-12-2012, 12:03 AM
EV blew up. At 108 pitches with one out in the 6th, runners at the corners and EV removed.

WVRedsFan
09-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Just for the fun of it:

But the Phil's have a cushy schedule going forward. I don't know...

Brutus
09-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Moving past the 2.3% chance (I'd call it closer to 5-10%, but whatever). Once they'd get in I'd imagine 50% and 45% would be on the low side. We've seen the last couple years what being the hot team coming into the playoffs can do for your chances. That's what scares me about facing any of the Phillies or Brewers in the playoffs. Right now they're the teams heating up late and we're the team looking a bit tired.

Anecdotal cases of teams getting hot are part of the percentages. They do happen, but one should not give too much extra weight on them as they're still outliers more than anything else.

In a single game, being hot or not, the odds are basically a coin flip. Even if you've won 22 in a row, you basically have a 50/50 chance of winning a same game. Maybe 52/48 or 55/45, but it's splitting hairs.

As for the Nationals, the probability works out less than 45% based on current RS/RA distributions, but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Even if you give extra generous odds, and use your best case scenarios:

10% chance of making the playoffs
60% chance of beating Atlanta
55% chance of beating Washington

That's a 3.3% chance of getting to the NLCS. You're still talking about a rather improbable event. Not impossible, as we've seen, but still very improbable.

Wonderful Monds
09-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Does Philly or Milwaukee regret selling yet?

WVRedsFan
09-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Cards score and now are behind 5-3 in the 6th.

WVRedsFan
09-12-2012, 12:14 AM

Hasn't seemed to matter. They are winning.

Wonderful Monds
09-12-2012, 12:17 AM

Sure, but I think at least in the Brewers case, if they'd had Greinke all along, they'd be in even better position.

Brutus
09-12-2012, 12:29 AM
The Dodgers lost again tonight, 1-0 to Arizona.

Gizmo
09-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Just noticed that a Cards win would officially eliminate the Cubs from the post season.

WVRedsFan
09-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Just noticed that a Cards win would officially eliminate the Cubs from the post season.

As if...:)

WVRedsFan
09-12-2012, 12:33 AM
HR Freese. 5-4.

WVRedsFan
09-12-2012, 12:51 AM