PDA

View Full Version : Scoreboard Watching 2012--Part Two

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Tadasimha
09-27-2012, 10:04 AM
In other news, the Pirates have to go 5-2 to avoid another losing season, and 6-1 to have a winning season (first in 20 years).

Loving the fact that the Reds have the chance to be the team that could finish off the Pirates chances of a winning season.

I really hope Dusty runs out the playoff roster for the three games in Pittsburgh and the team treast it like a warmup for the actual playoffs.

nate
09-27-2012, 10:33 AM
I saw that HOU beat StL last night with Chris Carpenter getting the L. :beerme:

Someone has a lot of explaining to do.

:cool:

Red Rover
09-27-2012, 10:34 AM
It's all but a formality at this point, but the Braves have officially clinched the first WC spot. St. Louis is really going to have to fall apart not to grab the second.

Either the Braves or the Nationals have clinched the first wild card spot. One of those two teams will host the WC game, unless the Braves fall off a cliff and the Cardnials win their remaining games to pass them.

CTA513
09-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Whats the MLB record for consecutive K's by a pitcher? Fister struck out 9 straight before getting a ground out to end the top of the 7th.

Chip R
09-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Whats the MLB record for consecutive K's by a pitcher? Fister struck out 9 straight before getting a ground out to end the top of the 7th.

Seaver has the record of 10, IIRC.

Reds Fanatic
09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Pirates lost again. They would now need to go 5-1 to just finish .500

vaticanplum
09-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Pirates lost again. They would now need to go 5-1 to just finish .500

Going against two playoff-bound teams might actually help them if the Reds and Braves rest their staffs. I'll take a wild guess that it won't be enough for them, though.

vaticanplum
09-28-2012, 01:19 AM
White Sox are tanking. With tonight's loss they are 3 and 8 in their last 11. Oy.

oneupper
09-28-2012, 08:12 PM
White Sox are tanking. With tonight's loss they are 3 and 8 in their last 11. Oy.

Shame. I was looking forward to Adam Dunn in his first (IIRC) postseason appearance.

cincrazy
09-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Shame. I was looking forward to Adam Dunn in his first (IIRC) postseason appearance.

He actually played in the postseason with the Dbacks the year we traded him if I'm correct.

That's not right. Never mind :).

vaticanplum
09-28-2012, 08:47 PM

It's a shame. I feel like the White Sox may be the best team that misses the postseason. Their pitching staff have been all-around unsung heroes all year; the team all but had it in the bag a week and a half ago and has just crapped on it ever since.

They're still only two games behind Detroit, but Detroit has Minnesota and the royals to go, while the White Sox have the Indians and (starting tonight) Tampa Bay, who have a knack for being THE BEST TEAM EVER the last six games of every season.

Reds Fanatic
09-29-2012, 12:28 AM
The Cardinals won which means the Reds are tied with the Nationals for the best record.

Also the Brewers lost to the Astros.

So with the Cardinals win: The Phillies and Dbacks are officially eliminated and the Brewers are almost eliminated with a magic number of 1.

vaticanplum
09-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Tigers lose, White Sox win, back to one-game separation in the AL Central. Yanks and Orioles both win and are also a game apart. Going to be an interesting few days.

Revering4Blue
09-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Tigers lose, White Sox win, back to one-game separation in the AL Central. Yanks and Orioles both win and are also a game apart. Going to be an interesting few days.

Side note:

Both the Rays and White Sox bullpens tonight each surrendered only one hit and both pens recorded five strikeouts.

Oakland is also leading Seattle 4-1 as I type this.

Tom Servo
09-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Toronto beats New York, a win for Baltimore today (against Boston) would put the AL East back into a tie.

HeatherC1212
09-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Toronto beats New York, a win for Baltimore today (against Boston) would put the AL East back into a tie.

I am rooting SO HARD for the Orioles this year. They are such a likeable group of guys and they're even using their manager's name for their current slogan: BUCKle Up! :D IMO Buck Showalter has certainly done more than enough to get AL Manager of the Year. What an amazing year for those guys and I love that their stats were so wonky for most of this year that the media folks could never understand how they just kept right on winning in spite of them, LOL :laugh:

BTW-The Orioles play the Rays for their last three games of the regular season. BUCKle up everyone! ;)

Tony Cloninger
09-29-2012, 07:40 PM
I am rooting SO HARD for the Orioles this year. They are such a likeable group of guys and they're even using their manager's name for their current slogan: BUCKle Up! :D IMO Buck Showalter has certainly done more than enough to get AL Manager of the Year. What an amazing year for those guys and I love that their stats were so wonky for most of this year that the media folks could never understand how they just kept right on winning in spite of them, LOL :laugh:

BTW-The Orioles play the Rays for their last three games of the regular season. BUCKle up everyone! ;)

I wish those 2 were not playing each other. I was hoping Rays and Orioles could both overtake NYY and leave the Yanks.....reeling on the last day o the season...Out of the playoffs.

blumj
09-29-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm kind of still hoping all the AL east and WC contenders finish with the same record. Tigers and White Sox, too.

Tony Cloninger
09-29-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm kind of still hoping all the AL east and WC contenders finish with the same record. Tigers and White Sox, too.

How would that be worked out then?

blumj
09-29-2012, 09:14 PM
How would that be worked out then?

I think this explains most of it. Sounds like lots of chaos and confusion and cross country flights.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/8423777/american-league-playoff-tiebreakers-nightmare-scenarios-mlb

Reds Fanatic
09-30-2012, 12:54 AM
With the results tonight the Reds are looking like they will likely be a 2 seed. They are now 1 game back of the Nationals and would need to finish in front of them for a 1 seed so they would have to make up 2 games in 4 days.

The Giants lost as well. So the Reds have a 3 game lead of the Giants for the 2 seed. The Reds hold a tiebreaker for seeding over the Giants as they beat them in the season series 4 games to 3. So any 1 Reds win or Giants loss the Reds would finish no lower than a 2 seed.

So things could still change in the next few days but right now it looks pretty likely the Reds will be starting the playoffs in San Francisco a week from today.

vaticanplum
09-30-2012, 01:10 AM
Yankees lose, Orioles pull out a dramatic late-game win against the Red Sox. This is getting really interesting. They are tied for the division lead with four (ie., an even number) of games left to play.

If they end the season tied, the two of them have to play a one-game playoff to determine division winner. The loser of that game becomes a Wild Card and has to turn around and play the other Wild Card for another one-game do-or-die (probably Oakland -- and possibly *at* Oakland, clear across the country). And I believe this happens in the space of two days.

That seems like an awful lot to go through for a team that ties for a division win and may well finish tied for the best record in the American League. There are some aspects to this two-team WC that I just can't get behind.

edit: and oh jeez, they would have to have different rosters from Thursday to Friday too. Not a huge deal, but still.

edit again: oh, I see this was sort of covered a couple posts back. I hadn't clicked the link, sorry!

vaticanplum
09-30-2012, 01:32 AM
If Houston loses its final four games, they will have a 110-loss season. Actually feel like that might be better than what i had expected for them.

OldRightHander
09-30-2012, 01:37 AM
If Houston loses its final four games, they will have a 110-loss season. Actually feel like that might be better than what i had expected for them.

I really feel for their fans.

blumj
09-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Yankees lose, Orioles pull out a dramatic late-game win against the Red Sox. This is getting really interesting. They are tied for the division lead with four (ie., an even number) of games left to play.

If they end the season tied, the two of them have to play a one-game playoff to determine division winner. The loser of that game becomes a Wild Card and has to turn around and play the other Wild Card for another one-game do-or-die (probably Oakland -- and possibly *at* Oakland, clear across the country). And I believe this happens in the space of two days.

That seems like an awful lot to go through for a team that ties for a division win and may well finish tied for the best record in the American League. There are some aspects to this two-team WC that I just can't get behind.

edit: and oh jeez, they would have to have different rosters from Thursday to Friday too. Not a huge deal, but still.

edit again: oh, I see this was sort of covered a couple posts back. I hadn't clicked the link, sorry!
It's kind of like with the NFL where you go crazy trying to figure out who has all the tiebreakers? Okay, now do it without any tiebreakers, everyone tied has to play extra games. Then, of course, all the teams involved have to be on both coasts, and there are rules for where and when they have to play each other. The whole thing is so ridiculous that I can't help but root for it with nothing else but draft order left to root for.

oneupper
09-30-2012, 11:19 AM

The Reds went 10-5 against the Houston, which is actually slightly WORSE than the average for an AAstros opponent performance in 2012 (.667 vs. .671).
Losing them from the schedule in 2013 will hurt, but it will affect the other division rivals roughly the same. (The Pirates and Cards beat up them the most at 12-5 and 11-4).

vaticanplum
09-30-2012, 03:02 PM
With the Reds assuring on Friday that the Pirates can't have a winning record, the Pirates have retaliated: their win last night guarantees that the Reds won't win 100 games. OH WELL.

The Operator
09-30-2012, 07:31 PM
With the Reds assuring on Friday that the Pirates can't have a winning record, the Pirates have retaliated: their win last night guarantees that the Reds won't win 100 games. OH WELL.At first I thought maybe Jared Hughes had shanked somebody and I missed it. But your answer makes much more sense.

Red in Chicago
09-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Even though the Reds and Nats are tied with the best record, the Nats are still the number 1 seed.

Three games left. Reds / Cards and Nats / Phils. Odds are we'll stay as the 2nd seed, but you never know.

I wish this would get settled. I've got to finalize dates with the dog sitter and make my hotel reservation. I'm getting stressed out :laugh:

PuffyPig
09-30-2012, 10:23 PM
The Reds went 10-5 against the Houston, which is actually slightly WORSE than the average for an AAstros opponent performance in 2012 (.667 vs. .671).
Losing them from the schedule in 2013 will hurt, but it will affect the other division rivals roughly the same. (The Pirates and Cards beat up them the most at 12-5 and 11-4).

Losing the Astro's from the Central will have zero affect oin the Central as every team played them the same number of games. The record of those teams this year vs. the Astro's is pretty meaningless as to what they would have done next year.

Where it affects the Central is in the wild card race vs. teams in other divisions. Teams in the Central will have fewer games against a poor opponent which is likely worth about one less win (give or take a fraction).

Gizmo
09-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Yankees, Rangers and Orioles are now all locked into the playoffs with the Angels loss.

Reds Fanatic
09-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Rangers won tonight which clinches a playoff spot for them. Also the Orioles and Yankees clinched a playoff spot as well

HeatherC1212
09-30-2012, 11:40 PM
GO ORIOLES!!!!! I am so excited for that team and their fans!!! What an amazing season for them! :jump:

I guess my friend on Twitter who has been actively rooting against the O's for the last few weeks because their fans DARED to cheer for their team at Fenway Park is not in the best mood tonight, LOL :laugh: Talk about pot calling the kettle black when she was ranting about fans taking over a ballpark not too long ago! Don't RS fans do that everywhere during most baseball seasons?! LOL :laugh:

Tom Servo
10-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Gonna be rooting hard for Baltimore to take the division, and for Oakland to win the wild card game.

Jefferson24
10-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Gonna be rooting hard for Baltimore to take the division, and for Oakland to win the wild card game.

+1 here

vaticanplum
10-01-2012, 02:53 AM
Well, as of tonight we are back to having the exact same record as Washington, so still right in the running for the #1 seed. I imagine the Cards will be fighting pretty hard this week, but then the Nats really have no reason (except the seed) not to take it easy with their staffs in facing the Cardinals.

If we tie, does head-to-head competition determine the seeding? I'm assuming so, thus giving the nod to Washington, but I can't seem to find confirmation of this. (and I'm sure it's been covered, sorry.)

cincinnati chili
10-01-2012, 03:38 AM
Correct. We have to win one more game than Washington to get the number one seed. If we tie, Washington wins.

Brutus
10-01-2012, 06:03 AM
Well, as of tonight we are back to having the exact same record as Washington, so still right in the running for the #1 seed. I imagine the Cards will be fighting pretty hard this week, but then the Nats really have no reason (except the seed) not to take it easy with their staffs in facing the Cardinals.

If we tie, does head-to-head competition determine the seeding? I'm assuming so, thus giving the nod to Washington, but I can't seem to find confirmation of this. (and I'm sure it's been covered, sorry.)

The Nationals haven't clinched the division yet, so their games are still pretty important for them. If they get swept and Atlanta wins the next three, they'll have to play a one-game playoff.

HeatherC1212
10-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Washington just won the NL East title due to the Pirates beating the Braves earlier this evening but they lost their game to the Phillies so if the Reds can squeak out a win tonight, they'll have the lead for the top seed. They're showing the celebration on ESPN's Baseball Tonight right now although they're jumping around to other things at the same time (wonder if they did that for the Reds when they won....).

Reds Fanatic
10-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Tigers just won the AL Central.

vaticanplum
10-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Tigers just won the AL Central.

...on a night when the White Sox won 11-0. God, it must suck to be a ChiSox fan right now.

WVRedsFan
10-02-2012, 01:45 AM
...on a night when the White Sox won 11-0. God, it must suck to be a ChiSox fan right now.

It's Chicago. They've got DaBears and the Bulls. White Sox and Cubs be damned. They gone....

The Operator
10-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Gonna be rooting hard for Baltimore to take the division, and for Oakland to win the wild card game.You and me both.

WVRedsFan
10-02-2012, 02:13 AM
Dodgers won. Poor Aaron Harang. His ERA is sub-4 and tonight he allows 2 hits in 6 innings, and still doesn't get the win. Sound familiar? Oakland is in the playoffs. Magical season?

powersackers
10-02-2012, 03:27 AM

16 other teams probably wouldn't mind being the White Sox. But I get what you mean.

10-02-2012, 03:32 AM
Here's my prediction:

Reds win the next two, Dodger win their final two games, and the final wild card spot ends in a tie between the Cards and Dodgers, requiring a playoff game to decide who gets the final spot.

The Voice of IH
10-02-2012, 10:18 AM
If Baltimore, Oakland, Boston, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, and the Dodgers win tonight, Wednesday is going to be wild.

cumberlandreds
10-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Good chance the Nationals game gets rained out tonight. It is supposed to pour the rain here in DC all day.

OnBaseMachine
10-02-2012, 01:18 PM
The A's have a chance to move into a tie for first place in the AL West with a win over the Rangers tonight.

oneupper
10-02-2012, 01:22 PM
The A's have a chance to move into a tie for first place in the AL West with a win over the Rangers tonight.

The Rangers are the only 2012 AL playoff team that the REDS haven't previously faced in a World Series. /randomfact

cumberlandreds
10-02-2012, 02:11 PM

I didn't realize that. I was thinking the A's were two behind. So if the A's win tonight, tomorrow will be like a playoff game for the division win. As just a fan of the game you have to love that.

Reds Fanatic
10-02-2012, 02:19 PM
I didn't realize that. I was thinking the A's were two behind. So if the A's win tonight, tomorrow will be a playoff game for the division win. As just a fan of the game you have to love that.

The amazing thing is with 2 days left is how close the win loss records for the Yankees, Orioles, Rangers and A's are.

Any of those 4 teams could end up the one seed, two seed, hosting a wild card game or away for a wild card game.

vaticanplum
10-02-2012, 02:23 PM
I didn't realize that. I was thinking the A's were two behind. So if the A's win tonight, tomorrow will be a playoff game for the division win. As just a fan of the game you have to love that.

Well, we have two games left in the regular season; they would need to be tied after those and the playoff game would be Thursday. But yes.

edit: read too fast; misunderstood. Overworked and freaking out.

vaticanplum
10-02-2012, 02:29 PM
and also, double post. Taking a break from the internet.

vaticanplum
10-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Holy cow, this Sox-Yankees game is exciting. I shouldn't have turned it on; I'm trying to be excited for the O's, and now Yankee fever is inevitable.

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 12:02 AM
I went to watch it in the bottom of the 9th. Feel like I jinxed the Orioles.

Reds Fanatic
10-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Yankees win 4-3 in 12 innings. So they take a 1 game lead into the final day of the season.

FlightRick
10-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Make no mistake, the Reds are my first priority... but before I was a Reds' fan by geographic proximity, I was a Yankees' fan by parental force-feeding.

So man alive am I ever hoping the Yanks don't get stuck with the wild card. I am only slightly ashamed to admit that the just-concluded Yankee/Red Sox game provided me more Baseball Joy than the Reds' win.

Now: let's go Dodgers. If they win tonight, then tomorrow's Reds' game could be every bit as compelling a bit of drama as the Yankees' final game. Screwing the Cards would be every bit as satisfying as having the Yankees already in the ALDS...

Rick

Reds Fanatic
10-03-2012, 12:35 AM
A's take a 2-1 lead on the Rangers in the 5th and are still batting

OldRightHander
10-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Dodgers are down 2-1.

Reds Fanatic
10-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Dodgers are now down 4-1 in the 5th.

Brutus
10-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Well at least the Cardinals can't celebrate on the field. I'll take that.

dman
10-03-2012, 01:12 AM
Shields strikes out 15 in a complete game loss in the Rays/Orioles game.

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 01:36 AM
4-3 game now in LA

Brutus
10-03-2012, 01:36 AM
2-run homer for A.J. Ellis in the bottom of the 7th. Dodgers to within 4-3.

fearofpopvol1
10-03-2012, 01:37 AM
Wow, this Dodgers/Giants game is awesome. Keep it going, LA.

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Mark Ellis doubles but is thrown out stretching for a triple :(

But now Victorino triples :)

Brutus
10-03-2012, 01:44 AM
Mark Ellis doubles but is thrown out stretching for a triple :(

But now Victorino triples :)

If only Ellis hadn't got greedy lol

Brutus
10-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Kenley Jansen strikes out the Giant side of the 8th.

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Athletics won, the AL West is a tie to be decided by the Oakland/Texas game tomorrow.

redsfaninbsg
10-03-2012, 02:04 AM
If SF wins who is STL pitching tomorrow?

Brutus
10-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Ethier singles to lead off the 9th.

fearofpopvol1
10-03-2012, 02:28 AM
hate the bunt attempt here. ellis looks like a fish out of water trying to bunt here.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 02:36 AM
"I want you to feel like you're here, so I'll cut the talk to a minimum."

That's Vin Scully. The best.

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 02:40 AM
Thanks for nothing, Dodgers.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 02:40 AM
Crap.

redsfaninbsg
10-03-2012, 02:42 AM
Alright let's go Cliff Lee, STL has nothing to play for tomorrow. A Phillies win and a Reds win allows me to watch the first three playoff games, anything else and two of the three games I'll be glued into a cell phone.

Brutus
10-03-2012, 02:50 AM
I hope the Reds win but I also hope the Nationals win. I don't want the No. 1-seed.

I'd rather play San Francisco than either Atlanta or St. Louis.

fearofpopvol1
10-03-2012, 02:52 AM
you'd think philly would want to play for a winning season as well. but they haven't looked so great honestly. jackson hasn't faired so well against the phillies and lee has been good against the nationals. let's hope they can pull it out. but reds need to handle their business too. any word on who the cardinals are pitching? no pitcher currently listed.

redsfaninbsg
10-03-2012, 02:57 AM
Talk on Cardinals board is Miller

MikeThierry
10-03-2012, 03:01 AM
Talk on Cardinals board is Miller

That sounds like it might be true. Makes his starting debut.

By the way, YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Hey, I know it's a play-in game but still fun none the less.

redsfan30
10-03-2012, 11:04 AM
I was rooting for the Cards to clinch on a Dodgers loss last night in hopes of a weaker Cardinal lineup tonight. I want the 1 seed pretty bad for two reasons. 1) having the best record in all of baseball is something to hang your hat on and 2) if the home games are Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I stand a much better chance of actually being able to use my tickets due to my wife's work schedule. If we are the 2 seed and the home games are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday it could get a tad dicey!

Let's go Phillies! Let's go Reds!

traderumor
10-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Glad the Reds know the results before they play. It is curious as to whether either the Nats or Reds want the potential extra home game in NLCS or have a NLDS opponent preference. I know I can't decide which is the best choice there. And I'm not sure that the Nats will win their NLDS, which means the Reds would have home field advantage unless they play the Nats if they win today. The funny thing is that I think the Reds have a better chance against the Cards at Busch because we can outpitch them in their park, while in our park, their hitting is very dangerous, moreso than the other playoff teams. I'm very conflicted about the preference here.

Caveat Emperor
10-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I hope the Reds win but I also hope the Nationals win. I don't want the No. 1-seed.

I'd rather play San Francisco than either Atlanta or St. Louis.

I'd give the Reds even money in any series against ATL or STL. I wouldn't bet a dime on them against SF, knowing they have to face Matt Cain and Madison Bumgarner on the road in G1 and G2.

This team doesn't hit enough to win either of those games, and I'm not at all confident they'll win 3 straight to take the series once the games come back to Cincinnati.

I think the #1 seed is the only way this team advances past the NLDS.

Edskin
10-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Rooting for the Nats today for sure....

dougdirt
10-03-2012, 01:42 PM
That home run that Raul Ibanez hit last night to tie the game? Only would have been out of Yankee Stadium (http://www.hittrackeronline.com/detail.php?id=2012_4896&type=hitter).

medford
10-03-2012, 01:48 PM
If I read the preview correctly, the only regulars Davey Johnson is sending out today to face Cliff Lee is Adam LaRoach and Bryce Harper.

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 01:52 PM
If I read the preview correctly, the only regulars Davey Johnson is sending out today to face Cliff Lee is Adam LaRoach and Bryce Harper.

That's correct. They sat everyone last night except for LaRoche and Harper. Today is their turn to sit down.

medford
10-03-2012, 01:58 PM
That's correct. They sat everyone last night except for LaRoche and Harper. Today is their turn to sit down.

Oh ok, I didn't realize it was talking about last night's game (though in hindsight it makes sense) I guess I don't know who they plan to play this afternoon.

Looks like they're playing Werth, Zimmerman, Desmand, Morse today.

Reds Fanatic
10-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Oh ok, I didn't realize it was talking about last night's game (though in hindsight it makes sense) I guess I don't know who they plan to play this afternoon.

Looks like they're playing Werth, Zimmerman, Desmand, Morse today.

Yes today LaRoche and Harper are sitting but the rest of the regulars are playing

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Phils/Nats underway. Phils go out in order in the 1st.

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Nats go out in order in the 1st. Apparently Pierre made a HR saving catch. I have to listen at work. MLB has me blacked out from viewing it on MLBTV. Never understood this type of blackout?

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Phillies strand runners on 2nd and 3rd in the 2nd. No score in the 2nd.

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Still no score after two between the Phils and Nats.

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 02:53 PM
They have played four in DC and still no score. Sounds like they are sprinting to end this game.

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Phils have broken through with a run in the 4th.

reds44
10-03-2012, 02:59 PM
1-0 Phils.

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Huge news out of DC:

Teddy won the Presidents race after a 7 year losing streak! :D

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Ryan Zimmerman homers to tie the game at 1.

Teddy's win apparently inspired him.

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Morse and Tyler Moore have back to back doubles to put the Nats in front 2-1. Still batting in the 5th.

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Phils finally get out of the 4th without further damage. 2-1 Nats after 5.

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Phils strand a runner at 2nd in the 5th. 2-1 Nats.

Chip R
10-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Huge news out of DC:

Teddy won the Presidents race after a 7 year losing streak! :D

Bully!

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 03:44 PM
2-1 Nats after five.

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Bully!

It's front page news on the local news website. There's a video of it too. The other three presidents had a little accident along the way.

http://www.wtop.com/109/3064179/Teddy-victorious-in-Nats-Presidents-Race (http://www.wtop.com/109/3064179/Teddy-victorious-in-Nats-Presidents-Race)

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Tyler Moore just turned the DC crowd on with a long HR. 3-1 Nats. Doesn't look good now.

powersackers
10-03-2012, 04:05 PM
So if it holds up are we certainly off to San Fran?

Brutus
10-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I'd give the Reds even money in any series against ATL or STL. I wouldn't bet a dime on them against SF, knowing they have to face Matt Cain and Madison Bumgarner on the road in G1 and G2.

This team doesn't hit enough to win either of those games, and I'm not at all confident they'll win 3 straight to take the series once the games come back to Cincinnati.

I think the #1 seed is the only way this team advances past the NLDS.

The Giants have a slight edge in starting pitching, but the Braves have given up nearly 50 fewer total runs this year. That's not insignificant. Whatever edge the Giants have in the starting rotation is wiped out with how good the Braves' bullpen is.

And while St. Louis' pitching isn't as good as either team (though it's given up almost the same number of runs as the Giants), the Reds' starters have been brutally bad against St. Louis in their careers.

WildcatFan
10-03-2012, 04:41 PM
So if it holds up are we certainly off to San Fran?

Yep. It's all starting to become real.

powersackers
10-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Yep. It's all starting to become real.

Well at least they can't hit either.

klw
10-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Travis Wood just singled with the bases loaded to put the Cubs up 4-1 on the Astros with the Cubs still batting in the 4th of a game that means, um that means, um I'll have to get back to you on what it means.

Edit: Oh it means the same as the last day of school in your sophomore year of HS when exams have been over for a week.

RedsMan3203
10-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Travis wood just singled with the bases loaded to put the Cubs up 4-1 on the Astros with the Cubs still batting in the 4th of a game that means, um that means, um I'll have to get back to you on what it means.

Well, I started T. Wood today (Picked up off FA line) in Fantasy Baseball in route to my Championship Crown...

klw
10-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Well, I started T. Wood today (Picked up off FA line) in Fantasy Baseball in route to my Championship Crown...

Well, there you go. It means something to someone.

OldRightHander
10-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Bring on San Fran. 5-1 Nats on a 2 run shot.

WildcatFan
10-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Weird, the Nats put in Gio Gonzalez for the ninth.

Caveat Emperor
10-03-2012, 05:05 PM
The Giants have a slight edge in starting pitching, but the Braves have given up nearly 50 fewer total runs this year. That's not insignificant. Whatever edge the Giants have in the starting rotation is wiped out with how good the Braves' bullpen is.

And while St. Louis' pitching isn't as good as either team (though it's given up almost the same number of runs as the Giants), the Reds' starters have been brutally bad against St. Louis in their careers.

Cain @ Home: 2.03 ERA, .548 OPS/A, 8.2 K/9, 7 HR (110IP)
Bumgarner @ Home: 2.38 ERA, .586 OPS/A, 8.3 K/9, 5 HR (106IP)

Facing the two of them back-to-back is a quick way to start a series 0-2.

Kc61
10-03-2012, 05:08 PM
This all would be more interesting if the Reds had a choice in the matter.

Phils down four, two outs, ninth inning, one on.

Any minute the Reds will start packing for SF and ultimately the Nats made the decision for them.

Now it's over.

Will be Reds-Giants.

Nats won.

klw
10-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Reds lost to Bumgarner 5-0 then beat Cain 5-1 the next day back in late June

powersackers
10-03-2012, 05:13 PM
This all would be more interesting if the Reds had a choice in the matter.

Phils down four, two outs, ninth inning, one on.

Any minute the Reds will start packing for SF and ultimately the Nats made the decision for them.

Now it's over.

Will be Reds-Giants.

Nats won.

Any guess on Sat/Sun game times?

klw
10-03-2012, 05:33 PM
4-1 Texas. Texas still batting.

klw
10-03-2012, 05:35 PM
5-1 now, still top 3.

dsmith421
10-03-2012, 06:05 PM
The Oakland Coliseum just exploded on a game-tying double by Crisp. This is amazing stuff. And it's the fourth inning.

hebroncougar
10-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Oh my goodness, did anyone just see Hamilton drop that routine flyball with two outs that just put Oakland up by 2?

cincrazy
10-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Oh my goodness, did anyone just see Hamilton drop that routine flyball with two outs that just put Oakland up by 2?

I was watching also. Unbelievable. He went after it in a completely nonchalant way, instead of camping under it and catching it with both hands.

Reds Fanatic
10-03-2012, 06:17 PM
What a wild game. Texas scores 5 in the 3rd and Oakland scores 6 in the 4th.

blumj
10-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Just realized the game's on MLBN, I had been watching on mlb.tv because it wasn't listed on my program guide.

Kc61
10-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Any guess on Sat/Sun game times?

Saturday announced for 9:37 pm.

Sunday likely late night game.

Brutus
10-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Looks like the A's are going to force a playoff for the West. They're up 9-5 in the bottom of the 8th with two runners on base and one out.

oneupper
10-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Looks like the A's are going to force a playoff for the West. They're up 9-5 in the bottom of the 8th with two runners on base and one out.

I think the As win the division if they hold on.

hebroncougar
10-03-2012, 07:34 PM

It would be awesome to see a replay of the 1990 World Series wouldn't it? :beerme:

Brutus
10-03-2012, 07:45 PM
I think the As win the division if they hold on.

By golly you're right. I thought they were a game back for some reason.

Edit: I think it had to do with looking at the standings on ESPN late last night. It was after Oakland won, and I was assuming the standings were already updated to reflect that and they were shown as being a game back.

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Congratulations Oakland! :beerme:

Reds Fanatic
10-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Amazing. The first time all year the A's have been in first place alone

Brutus
10-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Amazing. I never imagined the A's would win that division. Incredible. Now if only the Orioles can get it done tonight and Red Sox play spoiler.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
10-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Even though it was a blowout, that was entertaining. Balfour just made Chapman jealous.

klw
10-03-2012, 07:57 PM
The Rangers have not exactly been the definition of clutch the past three years.

oneupper
10-03-2012, 07:57 PM
So what are the playoff scenarios now in the AL?

Brutus
10-03-2012, 07:59 PM

Still too many to name, but if the Yankees win, it will be Detroit vs. Oakland and New York vs. the winner of Baltimore-Texas.

If the Yankees lose, all hell breaks loose, potentially.

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 07:59 PM
So now it's just the Orioles and Yankees battling for the AL East (with a 1 game playoff necessary should Baltimore win and NY lose tonight) and the loser has the other wild card spot to face Texas.

Sea Ray
10-03-2012, 08:01 PM

The goal is to snag one game in SF

Brutus
10-03-2012, 08:03 PM
OK just looked:

If the Yankees win, no matter what it will be:

NYY vs. TEX/BAL and DET vs. OAK

If the Yankees lose, regardless of what Baltimore does, the A's would become the No. 1-seed and would face the wildcard winner.

If the Yankees lose and Baltimore wins, it's a 1-game playoff. The winner would face Detroit, the loser Texas in the wild card.

Red in Chicago
10-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Jonny Gomes on MLB right now :lol:

Sea Ray
10-03-2012, 08:05 PM
BTW, how did Boss ever let this thread get so far over a thousand posts?...:confused:

oneupper
10-03-2012, 08:06 PM
No HRs for Hamilton today. Cabrera will be in the lineup for DET, but the triple crown looks like a lock unless Dunn hits 4 Hrs.

oneupper
10-03-2012, 08:09 PM
OK. If Mike Trout goes 4 for 4 and Cabrera goes 0 for 4, Trout wins the batting title.
Not getting why Cabrera would play tonight.

Reds Fanatic
10-03-2012, 08:11 PM
OK just looked:

If the Yankees win, no matter what it will be:

NYY vs. TEX/BAL and DET vs. OAK

If the Yankees lose, regardless of what Baltimore does, the A's would become the No. 1-seed and would face the wildcard winner.

If the Yankees lose and Baltimore wins, it's a 1-game playoff. The winner would face Detroit, the loser Texas in the wild card.

If the Yankees win and Baltimore wins - Baltimore would host Texas in the wild card game.

If Baltimore loses Baltimore would go to Texas for the wild card game

Brutus
10-03-2012, 08:14 PM
If the Yankees win and Baltimore wins - Baltimore would host Texas in the wild card game.

If Baltimore loses Baltimore would go to Texas for the wild card game

Are we having fun yet? lol

Reds Fanatic
10-03-2012, 08:16 PM
1-0 Red Sox in the first.

Brutus
10-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Orioles down 1-0 to the Rays, Red Sox up 1-0 on the Yanks.

Boss-Hog
10-03-2012, 08:32 PM
BTW, how did Boss ever let this thread get so far over a thousand posts?...:confused:

I noticed that a few days ago, but given that I figured any part three would be pretty short, I didn't think allowing one thread a bit over 1,000 posts would bring down the server. :)

dabvu2498
10-03-2012, 08:38 PM

Wouldn't tomorrow's potential playoff game count in the regular season standings and push the winner past the A's for the #1 seed?

Brutus
10-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Wouldn't tomorrow's potential playoff game count in the regular season standings and push the winner past the A's for the #1 seed?

I thought I had read that any divisional tiebreakers wouldn't count in breaking a tie for seed, but it's certainly possible that's not the case. These tiebreakers are kind of confusing.

blumj
10-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Not sure if it's true, but I heard today they changed that, tiebreaker results won't change the seeding.

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Yankees pulling away from Boston now, Dice K getting shelled.

Brutus
10-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Jayson Stark also said today that while the divisional tiebreaker would count as a regular season game, it would not count toward a seeding tiebreaker:

If there's a Yankees-Orioles tie:

This gets trickier. Then there's a three-way tie for the best record in the AL (Yankees, Orioles and the AL West champ, all at 94-68).

Under that scenario, the AL East tiebreaker game would not be used to determine seeding, even though it is otherwise considered a regular-season game. So how would that seeding be sorted out? Here's the breakdown:

Yankees win the AL East, Rangers win the AL West: Yankees are the No. 1 seed and play the wild-card winner. Rangers are the No. 2 seed and play at Detroit. Why? Yankees won the season series.

Yankees win the AL East, A's win the AL West: A's are the No. 1 seed and play the wild-card survivor. Yankees are the No. 2 seed and face Detroit. Why? Yankees and A's split the season series, but A's had the better record in division games.

Orioles win the AL East, Rangers win the AL West: Rangers are the No. 1 seed and draw the wild-card winner. Orioles are the No. 2 seed and play Detroit. Why? Rangers won the season series.

Orioles win the AL East, A's win the AL West: A's are the No. 1 seed. Orioles are the No. 2 seed. Same LDS matchups. Why? Orioles won the season series.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/8456932/mlb-postseason-tiebreaker-scenarios

NJReds
10-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Three HRs for Longoria tonight. 4-0 Rays over O's in the 8th.

Reds Fanatic
10-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Orioles lost so they will go to Texas for the Wild Card game.

Baltimore-Texas winner will play the Yankees and the A's will play the Tigers

Tony Cloninger
10-03-2012, 11:06 PM
The Yankees basically won it by beating Oakland in that EI game combing back 4 runs down and being 2 runs down last night over BOS.

I wish them nothing but a speedy exit and Jeter to actually start playing like a 39 year old next year.