PDA

View Full Version : It's Possible That Cubs Fans Are Idiots

redssince75
08-14-2012, 02:11 PM
I know, I know, late to the party. I tried to go to Reds-Cubs at Wrigley on Saturday and failed. No tix available in my price range. Scalpers had bleachers going for $100, and some mid-level tix at $80. I'm sorry, I'm not going to pay $160 to go to a baseball game (me & daughter) unless it's like Game 2 of the WS or something. I'll just watch on TV, then come over to Cincy and get $11 seats and have a great time. I even waited into the 2nd inning but people were still thronged outside and no reduction in prices.

All that is just fine, supply and demand, I guess. And here's why I say Cubs fans are idiots. The Cubs are horrible. They had lost like 10 of 11 or something at the time on Saturday, which is why I figured tix would be easy to get. They haven't won the WS in over 100 years.

And yet, if it's a nice day, Chicagoans will still come out in hordes on a Saturday afternoon and drink themselves silly in the blocks around Wrigley (not really my kind of scene) and pay $100 to go watch their beloved team lose to the Reds. My conclusion: IT'S NOT ABOUT SPORTS TO THEM. IT'S NOT ABOUT BASEBALL. IT'S NOT ABOUT WINNING. They are paying $100 to go to a Cubs-related party, with a little (very little) baseball thrown in.

Which makes them really stupid, because they will continue to get what they have always gotten, if they continue to do what they have always done.

Homer Bailey
08-14-2012, 02:29 PM
It's tough to have a bad day at Wrigley. I can't really blame people for going out and enjoying a day baseball game at Wrigley when the weather is nice.

Almost all Friday-Saturday-Sunday games at Wrigley sell out before the season starts. Brokers buy these tickets in hoards because they can get premium prices for tickets on these days. Also, when the first place team comes to town, it can be an attractive draw.

I went to two games this past week, and meant to comment. The ballpark was absolutely painted in Red. It was remarkable. I've never seen that many Reds fans in Wrigley in my four years attending games there. I heard multiple people ask how far away Cincinnati was after the Reds would score, and it was easy to see just how many Reds fans were in attendance. It was pretty cool to see.

Big Klu
08-14-2012, 02:40 PM
In other news, experts determine that grass is green, and the forecast for tomorrow is that the sun will rise in the east.

08-14-2012, 02:45 PM
"85% of the world is employed, the rest are Cub fans"

Lee Elia-Cubs Manager, 1983

(I'd post the whole rant, but it's very NSFW. If you want it hear it, go to YouTube and search Lee Elia Rant)

medford
08-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Hopefully, that is a scene the Reds and the Banks will replicate. Well at least in terms of making the game part of an overall experience that begs people to come to the games no matter the quality of the team on the field. Hopefully once that happens, the people running the reds will be smarter about how the spend that revenue than the Cubbies have been for the last 100+ years.

traderumor
08-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Hopefully, that is a scene the Reds and the Banks will replicate. Well at least in terms of making the game part of an overall experience that begs people to come to the games no matter the quality of the team on the field. Hopefully once that happens, the people running the reds will be smarter about how the spend that revenue than the Cubbies have been for the last 100+ years.Would that be the same Banks that had a bar owner advertising to make GABP Wrigley South in a marketing effort at the opponents fans--in the Reds backyard--earlier in the year? If so, no thanks.

dsmith421
08-14-2012, 03:08 PM
I know, I know, late to the party. I tried to go to Reds-Cubs at Wrigley on Saturday and failed. No tix available in my price range. Scalpers had bleachers going for $100, and some mid-level tix at $80. I'm sorry, I'm not going to pay $160 to go to a baseball game (me & daughter) unless it's like Game 2 of the WS or something. I'll just watch on TV, then come over to Cincy and get $11 seats and have a great time. I even waited into the 2nd inning but people were still thronged outside and no reduction in prices.

Sorry, no sympathy here. I secured 2 tickets to 2 games at Wrigley in the 100 level for under $50 per on Stubhub. It took ten minutes. You can't show up at that ballpark on a beautiful weekend afternoon and expect tickets to materialize in your preferred tax bracket. Wrigley scalpers are notoriously obnoxious to begin with.

All that is just fine, supply and demand, I guess. And here's why I say Cubs fans are idiots. The Cubs are horrible. They had lost like 10 of 11 or something at the time on Saturday, which is why I figured tix would be easy to get. They haven't won the WS in over 100 years.

And yet, if it's a nice day, Chicagoans will still come out in hordes on a Saturday afternoon and drink themselves silly in the blocks around Wrigley (not really my kind of scene) and pay $100 to go watch their beloved team lose to the Reds. My conclusion: IT'S NOT ABOUT SPORTS TO THEM. IT'S NOT ABOUT BASEBALL. IT'S NOT ABOUT WINNING. They are paying $100 to go to a Cubs-related party, with a little (very little) baseball thrown in.

What the heck is wrong with that? We're supposed to crap on them because they actually show up to support a bad team? Reds fans barely show up to support a good team.

And honestly, as long as they don't bother you personally, who cares if someone's impetus for coming to the ballpark is to drink a few beers and hang out with their friends? Again, if they aren't ruining anyone else's time, they are just as welcome as a guy with a scorebook analyzing every pitch.

Come on.

redssince75
08-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Sorry, no sympathy here. I secured 2 tickets to 2 games at Wrigley in the 100 level for under $50 per on Stubhub. It took ten minutes. You can't show up at that ballpark on a beautiful weekend afternoon and expect tickets to materialize in your preferred tax bracket. Wrigley scalpers are notoriously obnoxious to begin with.

I hear what you're saying. Sometimes I arrange tickets in advance (I did last year for Wrigley on July 4) and sometimes I just buy tickets outside (I have never done this at Wrigley, but have done it at numerous venues around the country for MLB and college football). Buying outside has never failed me for any event at any location -- with the caveat, I never plan to show up and just find face tickets outside for a "big event".

Who knew that an August game at Wrigley for one of the worst teams in baseball would count as a "big event"? Certainly not me. Live and learn.

As to the general point of my post, I admit some of it was sour grapes/blowing off steam at having the centerpiece of my weekend trip to Chi-town snatched out from under me by a bunch of drunken losers.

redssince75
08-14-2012, 03:27 PM
We're supposed to crap on them because they actually show up to support a bad team?

And oh -- after having heard all angles of the argument for many years, I come down on the side of the argument that true fans should NOT show up to support bad teams, especially year after year. Otherwise mgmt will keep feeding you crap.

Also one of the points of my post.

medford
08-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Would that be the same Banks that had a bar owner advertising to make GABP Wrigley South in a marketing effort at the opponents fans--in the Reds backyard--earlier in the year? If so, no thanks.

Not exactly, but I'm talking about an atmosphere where going to the ball game is only part of the experience. Its what Riverfront stadium missed so badly. If you went to the game, you had to hop in your car and go somewhere else to dine or drink afterwords. Now, you can make an evening of it all in one spot. Stop in and get dinner at the banks, hit the ballgame, and spend an hour or two afterwords hanging out down there.

You can hit a broader audience w/ so much more going on down there. How many people would have gone to a game in years past, but part of their party couldn't go for the whole evening, but wanted to do dinner with them? Now they can all go to the same spot to have dinner, while others convinently walk across the street to go to the game afterwords and their friends that couldn't make the game move on to whatever activity they had planned.

Spitball
08-14-2012, 04:31 PM
A friend's daughter and husband bought tickets from a scalper on the street outside of Wrigley. When the tickets were scanned at the gate, they turned out to be fakes.

The couple were out their money and out on the street. In this day and age of ticket scanning, it is not a good idea to buy from a scalper. A counterfeit ticket would pass by the eye of a human ticket taker but not an electronic scanner.

traderumor
08-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Not exactly, but I'm talking about an atmosphere where going to the ball game is only part of the experience. Its what Riverfront stadium missed so badly. If you went to the game, you had to hop in your car and go somewhere else to dine or drink afterwords. Now, you can make an evening of it all in one spot. Stop in and get dinner at the banks, hit the ballgame, and spend an hour or two afterwords hanging out down there.

You can hit a broader audience w/ so much more going on down there. How many people would have gone to a game in years past, but part of their party couldn't go for the whole evening, but wanted to do dinner with them? Now they can all go to the same spot to have dinner, while others convinently walk across the street to go to the game afterwords and their friends that couldn't make the game move on to whatever activity they had planned.You can already do that in Newport, and walk off dinner crossing the bridge. Too bad they couldn't build a pedestrian bridge so you don't have to get gagged by car fumes on your walk. But yea, one stop shopping would be ok as long as it isn't just for the rich and famous.

Virginia Beach Reds
08-14-2012, 05:17 PM
You can already do that in Newport, and walk off dinner crossing the bridge. Too bad they couldn't build a pedestrian bridge so you don't have to get gagged by car fumes on your walk. But yea, one stop shopping would be ok as long as it isn't just for the rich and famous.

The purple bridge is a pedestrian only bridge.

reds1869
08-14-2012, 05:38 PM
You can already do that in Newport, and walk off dinner crossing the bridge. Too bad they couldn't build a pedestrian bridge so you don't have to get gagged by car fumes on your walk. But yea, one stop shopping would be ok as long as it isn't just for the rich and famous.

I live nearby already and will be living at The Banks next month. I can assure you I'm neither rich or famous. :laugh:

Red in Chicago
08-14-2012, 06:23 PM
It's tough to have a bad day at Wrigley. I can't really blame people for going out and enjoying a day baseball game at Wrigley when the weather is nice.

Almost all Friday-Saturday-Sunday games at Wrigley sell out before the season starts. Brokers buy these tickets in hoards because they can get premium prices for tickets on these days. Also, when the first place team comes to town, it can be an attractive draw.

I went to two games this past week, and meant to comment. The ballpark was absolutely painted in Red. It was remarkable. I've never seen that many Reds fans in Wrigley in my four years attending games there. I heard multiple people ask how far away Cincinnati was after the Reds would score, and it was easy to see just how many Reds fans were in attendance. It was pretty cool to see.

I didn't actually go to the games, but was near the park after going to Market Days. I couldn't believe all the Reds fans I saw either. It was a thing of beauty. Tons of Bruce shirts.

Caveat Emperor
08-14-2012, 06:35 PM
I did the rooftop thing for a bachelor party a few months ago. $115 for a seat to watch the game in dead center field, all you can drink beverages, all you can eat food, and an air-conditioned / heated area to go inside whenever you felt like it.

I'll never just buy a "seat" at Wrigley Field again.

RedsManRick
08-14-2012, 06:55 PM
I think by "possible" you meant "veritably true".

I've actually enjoyed some games at Wrigley. But many Cubs fans are just plain obnoxious.

One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is Wrigley's location. The neighborhood it's in, Lakeview, is the place for your standard frat boy/ sorority girl to live after college. While there are families and middle aged people around, the place is crawling with the kinds of people who make for the perfect drunk, obnoxious, there-for-the-party fan.

For days when there isn't a huge draw in terms of the games' importance (and for day games), with the park in walking distance it's just a perfect recipe for a non-baseball oriented fan experience.

redssince75
08-14-2012, 07:01 PM
The neighborhood it's in, Lakeview, is the place for your standard frat boy/ sorority girl to live after college. While there are families and middle aged people around, the place is crawling with the kinds of people who make for the perfect drunk, obnoxious, there-for-the-party fan.

This was my observation, and it was a huge part of why the whole experience was a turn-off for me.

Homer Bailey
08-14-2012, 07:05 PM
I think by "possible" you meant "veritably true".

I've actually enjoyed some games at Wrigley. But many Cubs fans are just plain obnoxious.

One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is Wrigley's location. The neighborhood it's in, Lakeview, is the place for your standard frat boy/ sorority girl to live after college. While there are families and middle aged people around, the place is crawling with the kinds of people who make for the perfect drunk, obnoxious, there-for-the-party fan.

For days when there isn't a huge draw in terms of the games' importance (and for day games), with the park in walking distance it's just a perfect recipe for a non-baseball oriented fan experience.

What I meant, was from a Cubs "fan" perspective. It's fun for them to attend a day game regardless of how good the team is.

08-14-2012, 07:42 PM
What I meant, was from a Cubs "fan" perspective. It's fun for them to attend a day game regardless of how good the team is.

Considering their history, they really don't have much choice ;)