PDA

View Full Version : Grande's call of Bruce's walk-off was hilarious

jhiller21
08-15-2012, 12:18 AM
For those that didn't see it:
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=cin&content_id=23902689&topic_id=28898650

I used to despise the guy's play by play, but I have to admit, in moderation he can be a fun guy to listen to.

I had the privilege of meeting George a few years ago, and he's one of the nicest people I've ever met, but that call was just flat-out funny.

jhiller21
08-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Also George had another "HE GOT IT! HE GOT IT!!!" moment when BP made the nice catch.

Imagine how many "smiling sides of the scoreboard" we would have heard this year.

EMAW
08-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Also George had another "HE GOT IT! HE GOT IT!!!" moment when BP made the nice catch.

Imagine how many "smiling sides of the scoreboard" we would have heard this year.

Not nearly as many Reds on their last round up

WDE
08-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Grande is alright. He has his moments, but I hate that sometimes he sounds more excited when the opposing team does something good than when the Reds do something good.

Billy_Bearcat
08-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Can't stand him typically, but he is one of the nicest guys in baseball. Met him in Spring Training a few years back and he signed a baseball "It's gonna be... George Grande". Classy dude.

'69
08-15-2012, 07:22 AM
I thought Grande was good! I just got FS Ohio in June so I didn't have any biases going in. I'd take GG over Thom or Kelch with Welsh.

Captain13
08-15-2012, 08:12 AM
I love how, on this call, it sounds like Grande is going through puberty. Really George, that smooth velvet voice is going to crack on you right then, during the walkoff homerun that will be replayed 1000 times on MLB and ESPN.

sdwagers
08-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Grande is a nice guy, but after twenty years plus of "Hi, Hello, How are you? " ,"You know his story," "He got it, he got it !" " (Insert name) does it again" "Get'em on, Get'em over, get 'em in" and the "Smiling side of the scoreboard"... sigh... I 'm glad that he's retired. Let him watch his Cardinals and USC Trojans play.

Red Buckeye
08-15-2012, 10:17 AM
I've said it before and I've said it again, I LOVE GEORGE GRANDE! Such a nice guy, and I love his excited voice when the Reds get a Walk Off HR! I generally enjoy his stories about ole timer ballplayers. And I'd take him over the boring Kelch and depressing Thom anyday (although for some reason I really like hearing Thom call the game when Chapman is in. He gets really excited when Aroldis comes in, but who doesn't?).

SDwagers, which Cardinals team are you talking about? Surely not St.Louis! But there is nothing wrong with SC. I lived in L.A for a few years and it's really nice. I am a diehard Buckeye fan but even I have to admit it's hard not to pull for SC when you live in SoCal.

BungleBengals
08-15-2012, 10:28 AM
I was watching the game with my friends and was already calling for Bruce to strikeout at the time. I was half through making my argument that Paul and Bruce should be platooned in RF when he hit the bomb.

We changed the conversation to the formula for Bruce. Start him during his hot streak, but when he slumps, give him 2 days off and he should be fixed.

The_Mudshark
08-15-2012, 11:16 AM
George is funny to me, I got no beef.

I used to like Thom a lot, but I feel like he is getting worse. He has been terrible in the booth - did anyone see a few weeks back (I forget who the Reds were playing) when they had a special needs kid in the booth? Thom swung and missed multiple times not knowing he was on camera. He went to give the kid a high-five only to discover the kid couldn't lift his arm. Then at the end of the segment he went to fist bump the kid - kid still couldn't move his arm. I understand having to do this day in and day out with little preparation will yield some awkward flubs on live TV - but Jesus man, that was painfully awkward to watch, and I can't imagine how it made the kid feel.

On the other hand: Thom is the only broadcaster I have ever had a conversation with (I see Marty around town all the time but never talk to him) and he is incredibly friendly and humble. He has a very nice wife and good family too. I am happy he is with the Reds now, and getting to work with his dad. I just wish he would get a little better with the baseball coverage. I enjoy him on MNF with Billick.

Someone commented also about how well he calls Chapman - I have to agree with that. You'd think Jesus was on the mound.

BungleBengals
08-15-2012, 11:26 AM
I think it is funny how Thom says Arredondo

BurgervilleBuck
08-15-2012, 04:24 PM
I think complaining about our announcers is a good problem to have. :)

-- a Kelch/Welsh/Cowboy fan

jback76
08-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Nice guy but I can do without him in the booth. Might be just his voice that bothers me.

Josh
08-15-2012, 04:39 PM
I am a Grande fan myself, not so much on Thom, but he is alright but you throw the cowboy in there and sometimes it seems like they are in their own world taking about food or whatnot and not really commenting on the game.

smixsell
08-15-2012, 04:41 PM
I thought Grande was good! I just got FS Ohio in June so I didn't have any biases going in. I'd take GG over Thom or Kelch with Welsh.

I'd take just about anybody over Thom and Welsh.

jhiller21
08-15-2012, 10:06 PM
I'd take just about anybody over Thom and Welsh.

I like Welsh a lot, he's professional, knows what he's talking about, and funny without being too much of a goofball.

Thom is good when there's a big call to be made, better than Kelch who just sits there silently.

sdwagers
08-15-2012, 10:57 PM
I've said it before and I've said it again, I LOVE GEORGE GRANDE! Such a nice guy, and I love his excited voice when the Reds get a Walk Off HR! I generally enjoy his stories about ole timer ballplayers. And I'd take him over the boring Kelch and depressing Thom anyday (although for some reason I really like hearing Thom call the game when Chapman is in. He gets really excited when Aroldis comes in, but who doesn't?).

SDwagers, which Cardinals team are you talking about? Surely not St.Louis! But there is nothing wrong with SC. I lived in L.A for a few years and it's really nice. I am a diehard Buckeye fan but even I have to admit it's hard not to pull for SC when you live in SoCal.

Grande is well known for being a STL fan. I wish him the best in retirement, and hope he stays retired. I really don't care for his announcing.

miamiredskin
08-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Grande talks to much for my taste. All announcers talk too much in the post-Madden era, but he is the champ.

Add in the cliches, and I prefer Thom or Kelch. But for a game or 3, he is ok.

Larkin88
08-15-2012, 11:54 PM
I like Welsh a lot, he's professional, knows what he's talking about, and funny without being too much of a goofball.

Saint X grad, too. :)

Mr.Redleg82
08-16-2012, 12:13 AM
The Beaumont Bomber, you gotta love it.