PDA

View Full Version : Melky Cabrera Suspended 50 Games

WDE
08-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Tested positive for Testosterone. Huge blow for the G Men.

redsfan1995
08-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Im not suprised

texasdave
08-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Cheating dogs out in the Bay Area. What a shocker. To be fair, I am sure there are cheating dogs everywhere.

jback76
08-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Nice, some good news.

WDE
08-15-2012, 02:56 PM
You gotta think Dodgers fans are pretty happy right now. They were already the better team. Now the Giants's most productive hitter this year is out for the rest of the regular season.

The DARK
08-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Smart of teams not to sign him to a LTC. I wouldn't be shocked by an early retirement here, seeing as he was just a utility player before.

Stray
08-15-2012, 02:57 PM
That would explain his ridiculous improvement in the last year or two. Not all that surprising.

HometownHero
08-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Yet another break for the Cardinals.

redsfan1995
08-15-2012, 02:58 PM
This helps the Pirates as well.

BungleBengals
08-15-2012, 03:02 PM
I am sure he will appeal it. Just get Ryan Braun's lawyer. That guy got Braun completely out of his suspension.

WDE
08-15-2012, 03:06 PM
I am sure he will appeal it. Just get Ryan Braun's lawyer. That guy got Braun completely out of his suspension.

Nope. This is his statement:
"My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used. I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down."

BungleBengals
08-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Will his stats still count?

If not then things just keep getting better from Votto's injury. He would now have the second best average in NL if Cabrera's stats are discounted.

scott91575
08-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Will his stats still count?

If not then things just keep getting better from Votto's injury. He would now have the second best average in NL if Cabrera's stats are discounted.

I am sure his stats will stand, but he doesn't have enough at bats to qualify for any leaderboards at the end of the year (he would need 502 and only has 459).

BungleBengals
08-15-2012, 03:57 PM
I am sure his stats will stand, but he doesn't have enough at bats to qualify for any leaderboards at the end of the year (he would need 502 and only has 459).

Thats good. So as long as Joey gets his PA and keeps his current pace he could be up for tops in NL in average.

Stray
08-15-2012, 04:07 PM
At least his cheating won the NL homefield advantage.

Trajinous
08-15-2012, 04:13 PM
This helps all NL playoff contenders.

Red Buckeye
08-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Cheater Cheater!

What would you guys think if Votto tested positive for a banned substance? I would be devastated and betrayed, but I would still forgive the man. I just hope we never have to worry about it.

TSJ55
08-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Back in the steroid heydey, when it was basically legal if not encouraged, I question anyone who was not using's will to win. Now, with things as they are, it's a little more dumb, but I love that someone has finally come out and owned it.

Thanks for the quote WDE

"My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used. I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down."

texasdave
08-15-2012, 04:18 PM

This may or may not be the case at the end of the year. It is plate appearances and not at-bats that determine if a player is qualified or not. Cabrera has 501 plate appearances.

From 1967 to the present, if the player with the highest average in a league fails to meet the minimum plate-appearance requirement, the remaining at-bats until qualification (e.g., 5 ABs, if the player finished the season with 497 plate appearances) are hypothetically considered hitless at-bats; if his recalculated batting average still tops the league, he is awarded the title. (This policy was invoked in 1981, securing Bill Madlock his third NL batting crown, and in 1996, when NL titlist Tony Gwynn finished the year with only 498 PAs.)

However, it may all be a moot point if Buster Posey continues his ravaging of NL pitching. Posey's numbers since the ASG are beyond sick. He is batting .441 since the break. His slash line is .520/.775/1.295. Maybe they need to test Posey again. I kid. I kid.

BungleBengals
08-15-2012, 04:22 PM
At least his cheating won the NL homefield advantage.

Does he still get to keep the car? :laugh:

40YrRedsFan
08-15-2012, 04:24 PM
What a bone head....with the Giants in contention for the NL West title, and the impact he's made on the team's performance, he should have thought what it would mean to the team if he got caught.

texasdave
08-15-2012, 04:29 PM
He was probably thinking something about the fact that he will be a free agent in 2013 and if he put up huge numbers in 2012 he would make a boatload of money.

webbbj
08-15-2012, 04:39 PM
What a bone head....with the Giants in contention for the NL West title, and the impact he's made on the team's performance, he should have thought what it would mean to the team if he got caught.

the giants arent where they are today without his PED type performance. If he puts up his Yankees type numbers hes a platoon OF. so i cant say he let the team down, he helped carry them this far, if he didnt use something they might be 5+ games out at this point.

webbbj
08-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Cheater Cheater!

What would you guys think if Votto tested positive for a banned substance? I would be devastated and betrayed, but I would still forgive the man. I just hope we never have to worry about it.

joey votto was good immediately developed into greatness so I dont think he needs any artificial enhancement to be the player he is so I would be disappointed, but not care after the suspension.

In melkeys case, if I am a fan of the giants I realize this guy is at best an average OF w/o PEDs so I dont think he let the team down at all b/c w/o that substance hes no where close to the player he is and the team wouldnt be where it is if he was OPS .700 ( like he was for the yanks).

For Joey he puts up MVP #s regardless of substance in his body or not so its a different case.

It be like if drew stubbs took PEDs next year, put up a .950 OPS then got caught and missed the rest of the season. I could care less b/c I got heisey to put up the REAL Drew Stubbs numbers. And I'd say Thank You Drew for carrying us this far.

scott91575
08-15-2012, 05:02 PM
This may or may not be the case at the end of the year. It is plate appearances and not at-bats that determine if a player is qualified or not. Cabrera has 501 plate appearances.

However, it may all be a moot point if Buster Posey continues his ravaging of NL pitching. Posey's numbers since the ASG are beyond sick. He is batting .441 since the break. His slash line is .520/.775/1.295. Maybe they need to test Posey again. I kid. I kid.

You are right, it's plate appearances. 501 is still 1 short.

texasdave
08-15-2012, 05:36 PM
You are right, it's plate appearances. 501 is still 1 short.

And, per the qualifications for the batting title, they will simply add one hitless at-bat if necessary. If Cabrera has the highest average at that time, he will win the batting title. So him being stuck at 501 PA will be of no consequence.

faffy42
08-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Isn't he supposed to have testosterone in his system...

Trajinous
08-15-2012, 06:25 PM

Ha, probably not enough for 3 normal men.

Australian Red
08-15-2012, 11:45 PM

His was abnormally high.

Hope he never plays an MLB game again, ruins the integrity of the sport.

Larkin88
08-15-2012, 11:59 PM
His was abnormally high.

Hope he never plays an MLB game again, ruins the integrity of the sport.

OT: Bout lunch-time on Thursday where you are, right?

What's the future like?

HometownHero
08-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Should have used BALCO

Mutaman
08-16-2012, 12:25 AM
I guess the Fed EX service is better in Frisco than in Milwaukee.

Krawhitham
08-16-2012, 02:40 AM
Thats good. So as long as Joey gets his PA and keeps his current pace he could be up for tops in NL in average.

Assuming he comes back Aug 24th he will need 3.83 PA per game for the remaining games

In his 86 games this season he has averaged 4.23 PA per game

smixsell
08-16-2012, 01:11 PM
No suprise at all. Whenever a veteran suddenly hits 50 points over his career average and 100 points over his career slugging percentage, it's highly suspicious for PED's. Melky did that over the past 2 seasons, and I was highly suspicious.

texasdave
08-20-2012, 12:23 AM
Bump.

Melky Cabrera with some serious nads.

In a bizarre attempt to avoid a 50-game drug suspension, San Francisco Giants star Melky Cabrera created a fictitious website and a nonexistent product designed to prove he inadvertently took the banned substance that caused a positive test under Major League Baseball's drug program.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/335052-report-cabrera-created-fake-website-product-to-avoid-drug-suspension?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf2_a4

knuckleballah22
08-21-2012, 09:38 AM
ive always wanted to rip melkys head off and scoop guacamole out of it

knuckleballah22
08-21-2012, 09:38 AM
forget suspensions though these guys should be hit hard in the wallets where it will really hurt

TSJ55
08-21-2012, 11:22 AM
forget suspensions though these guys should be hit hard in the wallets where it will really hurt

The team keeps their pay for the 50 games no? I never heard that they did, I just alwasy assumed.

MrRedLegger
08-21-2012, 12:40 PM
...and [Melky] to rely on a clause in the collectively bargained drug program that allows a player who has tested positive to attempt to prove he ingested a banned substance through no fault of his own.

I didn't know that clause existed. When I read that I paraphrased to myself "if a player has a good enough lawyer they can dope all they want."

I understand that in today's age players are taking a crazy amount of supplements in order to be competitive, but they should be choosing from a list of allowed substances rather than tip-toeing around MLB sanctions with experimental substances and whatnot. This is very sad for baseball.

And the fake website cover-up might be the dumbest thing anyone has ever tried, ever.