UK Reds Fan
08-17-2012, 11:44 PM
1. Biggest deal:
- Latos 3.63 ERA (3.23 home vs. 4.15) and makes 550k
- Volquez - 4.33 ERA (3.24 home vs. 5.66 away) and makes 2.4 Mil
- Yonder - .343 OBP and .733 OPS and makes 1.5 Mil
- Grandal - .345 OBP and .946 OPs in 77 AB
- Boxberger - 3.14 ERA and 1.81 WHIP

Latos is clearly superior to Volquez and established the Reds at top of rotation with Cueto. Alonso is a tool, but with Votto in town..no spot. Grandal is the key to it all...If he sticks at C and is legit it boils down to a poor first year from Meseraco vs. Grandal's stick looks legit. But if Grandal moves to another spot...again, Reds kept the right man. Boxberger is hard throwing cheap arm...but his WHIP would be worst on Reds bullpen. The savings on money makes the deal all the sweeter.

2. Marshall 2.82 ERA and 1.23 WHIP makes 2.7 Mil and is death to LH bats
Wood ERA just shy of 5.00
- Sappelt is absolutely bombing in AAA ball. sub 700 OPS
- Torreyes is meh in A ball

Marshall has been lights out since moving from closer role to setup. He and Aroldis have been leaders of best bullpen in MLB before Broxton got here. WHo could have saw this w/o Madsen.

3. Madsen...8Mil and never pitched. Tough break by Walt but only 1 year deail limits our exposure.

4. Ludwick....268 BA .340 OBP and now .907 OPS for 2 Mil. Guy has been huge stick especially since Votto went out. Really main driver from being behind Pirates at the AS break to now commanding 6 game lead.

Very good offseason by Walt. Many worried we overpaid for Latos, but essentially we needed another top rotation arm to truly compete in playoffs and Latos has lived up to that billing. The parts are hard to give up, but were mainly blocked in Cincy..if Mesaraco lives up to top tier Catcher and/or Grandal moves off Catcher...then you really can't argue on any of the players given up by Walt.

Stray
08-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Walt did a good job, and so did Dusty in how he worked guys into a groove.

The Latos trade is one that I doubt we ever regret, the only question left is if we hung onto the right catcher. Mes has some major holes in his swing right now, but I believe their goal for him in his first year had nothing to do with his offense. He has his 2 pitchers that he's working with, and compared to how it went early in the year he's doing a fine job behind the plate. It's still way too early to know about him.

Marshall for Wood/Sappelt was also a good move imo. He might not be as great as some people want him to be. I personally think we're spoiled with our bullpen and we expect zeroes all of the time, but he's been an improvement to what is our biggest strength this year.

Yeah Madsen was a tough break. There's no fault here obviously, nobody could have seen it coming. It did lay the groundwork for Aroldis Chapman becoming the most feared closer in all of baseball though.

Ludwick speaks for himself. Walt's signing and Dusty's hardheadedness (making up a word) to stick with him. And Dusty resting him to keep him at full strength even when people wonder why in the world you would ever sit a guy who is this hot. It was always a big picture with Ludwick, and it still is, regardless of if people ever saw it that way.

Francisco to the Braves was a head scratcher for me when it happened. I had no idea why we did it other than maybe the FO losing faith in Juan. I knew Frazier was a capable utility guy, I had no idea he was a legitimate long term option at 3rd. Hoover was good for us while he was here, and I'm guessing he'll be good for us in the future.

And I know the early results are iffy but I like the Broxton trade. I think this guy is gonna get some big outs for us when we need them.

And as far as Wilson Valdez goes, he's been all we could hope for and more. I know some like to focus on his at bats or whatever, but it's never been about that imo. Over the course of 162 games we're gonna get in binds with injuries and times where we have to play short when a guy is just a little banged up. Valdez can be put anywhere on the field and not only look like he knows what he's doing, but he's a really good fielder everywhere. He's our emergency guy and he's done a great job.

All in all I love what Walt has done. Not enough lefties for my taste, I'll just guess that the asking price got a little too crazy on some targets that he did have in mind.

Red Swagger
08-18-2012, 03:02 AM
Latos deal- LOVE IT.. Grandal is the only one I was sad to see go. Needed another TOP to pair with Cueto and we got him, The other 3 had no future in Cincy

Marshall- One of the best set up men in all of MLB

Ludwick- Deal of the offseason, he has regained his swing and confidence. He has carried this team, great teammate, very well respected

Hoover- LOVE IT.. He is nasty, dominating AAA and will be up here full time in 2013, plus Frazier is our future at 3B, no doubt about it.

Redmond- AAA depth, emergency starter. Who knows, he could be great for us, another great move for depth, plus Janish needed another chance, I wish him luck

Broxton- I was little upset seeing Joseph traded, but we needed a RH power arm in the 8th, takes pressure off of Arredondo and Ondrusek, allows Masset to heal properly

Madson- Great signing, bad luck. Plain and simple. But Chapman as the closer is where fate wanted him to be, he is a shut down BEAST in the 9th. Not in rotation anymore and he shouldn't be

Valdez- Horst has been great for Philly, all though he wouldn't have gotten a chance for us. Valdez has been great, very versatile and plays great D, handles the bat ok, great bunter, just an all around team guy.

X Paul- 3 teams gave up on this guy too soon, he's only 27, great bat to have on the bench, can play all 3 OF spots, provides speed and great D, so another great find by Jocketty.

Simon- A gem of a waiver claim, our scouts and FO knew something we didn't, he's been incredible coming out of the pen, very valuable power arm

Navarro- Great depth to have, former all star. I liked the signing

Jocketty has been nothing short of amazing, he has built a winning franchise.

Next year, hopefully he allows Gregorius and HRod to be bench players instead of Cairo and Valdez, his confidence in rookies should be sky high considering what Frazier, Cozart and Mesoraco have done this year

MrRedLegger
08-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Great post putting Walt's moves into perspective. When put this way, you can look at it and understand why there was no big time deal at the deadline (which I'm glad)

I didn't know Latos was making that little. (makes me laugh, $550k is a boat load of money, but in MLB terms that's pocket change) He will be loved and respected in Cincinnati and I hope he stays a long, long time. As more time passes that trade becomes sweeter and sweeter.

Bullpen moves speak for themselves. Walt is a genius.

Wilson Valdez, among others, has gotten everyone's appreciation. I'm confident every time he gets a start.

Ludwick. Wow.

How bout Rolen playing like his All-Star self. In one month he's raised his batting average 70 points, OBP 80 points, and SLG over 100 points. It cannot be stated enough how much he's helped keep this team together.

Red Swagger put it best that Walt has built a winning franchise. Dusty has managed this team very, very well. What a great time for Reds nation!

texasdave
08-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Wilson Valdez has been terrible. Plain and simple. His OPS is .472. You cannot field well enough and be versatile enough to make up for that. His WAR is -0.9 if you like that stat. Walt made a number of good moves over the off-season but Wilson Valdez has definitely not been one of them. We already had a better version of Wilson Valdez but Dusty had no use for him so they sent him to Louisville.

Stray
08-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Wilson Valdez has been terrible. Plain and simple. His OPS is .472. You cannot field well enough and be versatile enough to make up for that. His WAR is -0.9 if you like that stat. Walt made a number of good moves over the off-season but Wilson Valdez has definitely not been one of them. We already had a better version of Wilson Valdez but Dusty had no use for him so they sent him to Louisville.

Who did they send to Louisville? Are you talking about Frazier at the beginning of the year, because at the moment we do need both.

He's played SS, 2B, 3B, CF, and lord knows where else this year. I'm not saying he's ideal anywhere, if he was he wouldn't be a versatile utility player, he'd just be a position player. I know we give up a lot offensively, but when we're in a bind with injuries it's nice to have a guy that can be put anywhere on the field. He's a more versatile Miguel Cairo.

texasdave
08-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I am talking about Paul Janish. Who is just as versatile, hits better and fields better.

Valdez has no pop (3 doubles in 134 PA), no plate discipline (3.32 pitches per PA), doesn't walk (3.7%). He is horrid offensively. He doesn't field as well as Janish. He does nothing particularly well.

Why would Wilson Valdez be considered an improvement over Paul Janish?

Stray
08-18-2012, 12:31 PM
I am talking about Paul Janish. Who is just as versatile, hits better and fields better.

Valdez has no pop (3 doubles in 134 PA), no plate discipline (3.32 pitches per PA), doesn't walk (3.7%). He is horrid offensively. He doesn't field as well as Janish. He does nothing particularly well.

Why would Wilson Valdez be considered an improvement over Paul Janish?

I guess because Valdez can play the OF in an emergency. I'm really not sure what the thinking was with Janish, but he has a better young player ahead of him and more potential young guys behind him. Maybe they just wanted to get him somewhere that was a better situation for him.

thorn
08-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Because we got something for Janish we could never have gotten for Valdez, so in hindsight, it was a great move. And Janish, like Vladez, as the 25th man on a roster, would have added no more value than Valdez in such a small amount of playing time. We seen what he could do last year, not seeing how he could have made the team better.

texasdave
08-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Because we got something for Janish we could never have gotten for Valdez, so in hindsight, it was a great move. And Janish, like Vladez, as the 25th man on a roster, would have added no more value than Valdez in such a small amount of playing time. We seen what he could do last year, not seeing how he could have made the team better.

I agree Janish is better than Valdez. That was not the point though. The point is whether Valdez was a good pickup. He wasn't.

HometownHero
08-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Walt has done great this season just wish we added a little offensive depth at deadline to replace Valdez on the roster. Could get exposed a bit with an injury up the middle.

UK Reds Fan
08-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Walt's bench hasn't been that great this season...Valdez, Cairo, Willie Harris pretty much all stink. Heisley is pretty much below average. Meseraco hasn't been that great. Paul has been a plus from the LH. But Frazier has been superb...probably rookie of the year or backup.

I fully expect Cairo and Valdez to be replaced next year by Gregorius and Henry Rodriquez...we'll need them next year.

OGB
08-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Walt's bench hasn't been that great this season...Valdez, Cairo, Willie Harris pretty much all stink. Heisley is pretty much below average. Meseraco hasn't been that great. Paul has been a plus from the LH. But Frazier has been superb...probably rookie of the year or backup.

I fully expect Cairo and Valdez to be replaced next year by Gregorius and Henry Rodriquez...we'll need them next year.

I don't understand why people keep saying this about Didi. Why would you want a guy with his potential languishing on the bench to the tune of 30 starts or less? He could use more seasoning in the minors anyway. He hasn't even spent half a season in AAA. He has a lot to improve upon at the plate before he's worth adding to the 25 man.

UK Reds Fan
08-20-2012, 08:20 PM
I don't understand why people keep saying this about Didi. Why would you want a guy with his potential languishing on the bench to the tune of 30 starts or less? He could use more seasoning in the minors anyway. He hasn't even spent half a season in AAA. He has a lot to improve upon at the plate before he's worth adding to the 25 man.

The reds could look at him as more development needed to take the SS job in Cincy...or he could give rest to both Cozart and Phillips and garner a solid 40% PT next year from left side of the plate.

Finally, if you figure Hamilton is sticking at SS...why worry about grooming Didi if Billy is only 1-2 years away.