PDA

View Full Version : If our Rookie catcher Devin Mesoraco doesnt start hitting...

Redsfansince72
08-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Just watching his batting, he doesnt look smooth and tonight 2 times he has runners on he doesnt get the job done. Runners on 2nd and 3rd 1 out, no way he should be pulling anything..I just wonder if the Reds will make a move to either demote him and bring up Navarro even though he didnt look good defensively? or watch the waiver wire? just curious

WDE
08-18-2012, 10:41 PM
We just haven't been getting good production from the Catcher position offensively this second half.

AintlifeGrande
08-18-2012, 11:27 PM
I say bring up Corky.Hell on defense,and has a little pop.He's played admirably the times he has been with the big club.I found myself griping at the radio to Mesoraco to get a hit.It's damn frustrating to get nothing out of him.

R_Webb18
08-18-2012, 11:51 PM
most rookies struggle. good thing we have few others that have picked things up quicker.

thorn
08-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Considering he only plays twice a week, kinda hard to get that bat in a groove isn't it? He just needs to continue to work on his defense and calling a good game, the bat will come once he plays more regularly.

Jefferson24
08-19-2012, 12:25 AM
He has a lot of room for improvement. There is a reason he only plays twice a week.

I hope he gets better and I believe he will, just not helping this team a great deal right now.

R_Webb18
08-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Considering he only plays twice a week, kinda hard to get that bat in a groove isn't it? He just needs to continue to work on his defense and calling a good game, the bat will come once he plays more regularly.

this. most look and see his stats but lets be real most rookies play more than twice a week.

UK Reds Fan
08-19-2012, 01:54 AM
Devin simply hasn't been that good this year...rookie or not, he's not looked good. Reds didn't rush him a bit...let him develop at all levels of minors and were patient. He simply has to swing the stick better...way too much of yacker out there vs. swinging at pitches in his zone vs. wailing away with no patience.

Hope we didn't trade away the wrong catcher this year...next 2 years should give us the answer.

The Rage
08-19-2012, 03:08 AM
Mes needs more playing time with that type of swing at this point in his career. Very fast swing. He actually gets the count in his favor quite a bit, but doesn't put it away like he should because his swing mechanics are out of whack. Probably needs 4 starts a week to hone in.

jback76
08-19-2012, 09:10 AM
I have no problem with Mesoraco, in fact Hanigan bothers me more. I like Mesoraco's defense and he has some fire to him. I would have him starting 4 or 5 times a week next year. I see him as a .275, 20-25, 65 rbi and good defense kinda guy.

TheBigLebowski
08-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Mesoraco has been one of the very few disappointing aspects of this season. In hindsight, it appears he would have been best served spending this season in AAA and letting Hanigan and Navarro handle the catching duties this year. He is lost at the plate and it's really frustrating to watch him hit.

Eric the Red
08-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Hope we didn't trade away the wrong catcher this year...next 2 years should give us the answer.

Very early on, it certainly appears Grandal is much more advanced at the dish than Meso. Yaz is hitting .289/.341/.554 with 5 HR, 14 R and 15 RBI in 91 big league plate appearances compared to Meso's .209/.288/.348 with 5 HR, 15 R and 14 RBI in 177 plate appearances.a

That said, it's very early (Meso is 24 - Yaz will be 24 in Nov) in both players career and Meso still has plenty of potential. However, I am concerned with Meso's bat. I too, see the .275, 20-25, 65 rbi potential that jback76 mentioned but his inability to hit the ball the other way makes me think he may be no better than a .250 hitter.

Red Buckeye
08-19-2012, 11:10 AM
I have no problem with Mesoraco, in fact Hanigan bothers me more. I like Mesoraco's defense and he has some fire to him. I would have him starting 4 or 5 times a week next year. I see him as a .275, 20-25, 65 rbi and good defense kinda guy.

Why does Hanigan worry you? He seems to call games very well, is a great base hit hitter, and he also has a nice throw to 2nd base. I honestly think Hanigan is an excellent catcher. I'm not sure how he could worry you.

jback76
08-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Why does Hanigan worry you? He seems to call games very well, is a great base hit hitter, and he also has a nice throw to 2nd base. I honestly think Hanigan is an excellent catcher. I'm not sure how he could worry you.

He doesn't worry me, he bothers me as in he's a singles hitter who gets on base, and is so slow he hasn't made it to 1st on his last ground ball from yesterday afternoon yet. I just feel like Mesoraco will be the better big league player. But no Hanigan doesn't worry me a bit. He is what he is, not real good. Just calling it like I see it.

Krawhitham
08-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Mesoraco is the type of player that needs to play everyday to get in a groove

Ludwick is the same type of player, and look what he has done since he has been playing everyday

Krawhitham
08-19-2012, 01:50 PM

In Devin's 1st 6 games he hit 4HR with 6RBI

Since then he has hit 1HR with 9 RBI

It did take pitchers long to adjust to him

'69 & Vine
08-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Mesoraco isn't even in Hannigan's league in any phase of the game.

Giving him 4 starts a week might help him, but it would probably kill the Reds and the rotation's ERA.

At this point, I'd rather see Navarro in his spot.

Red Buckeye
08-19-2012, 01:54 PM
He doesn't worry me, he bothers me as in he's a singles hitter who gets on base, and is so slow he hasn't made it to 1st on his last ground ball from yesterday afternoon yet. I just feel like Mesoraco will be the better big league player. But no Hanigan doesn't worry me a bit. He is what he is, not real good. Just calling it like I see it.

My bad, I misread the word "bother" for "worry". Two completely different things. But Mesoraco isn't exactly a speedster either, and while it might be nice if Hanigan had more power, I don't think it's a bad thing if a guy whose position typically bats 7th or 8th is consistently getting base hits.

As to the idea that Mez will get better with more playing time, well yeah I think most players get better with more practice. But would it be right to bench Hanigan more when Ryan has been very productive, both behind the plate and at the plate?

Mez is the future, but as long as Hanigan keeps playing great I wouldn't reduce his time in favor of Mez at all.

bounty37h
08-20-2012, 10:02 AM

Not real good?? I think he is one of the most underrated catchers in the league.

Trajinous
08-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Well, there's a disconnect between what you're seeing and what's reality.

Meso is hitting .200 w/ .288 OBP. Hanigan is hitting. .284 w/ .368 OBP. That's over 100 point difference in OPS. While Meso has the potential, it's not matching what you're "see him as".

Hanigan has outplayed Meso and has deserved the playing time. I would want Hanigan to be batting 1-2. The guy would be great to grind out ABs at the top of the order. Then again, as a catcher, I don't think he could handle batting outside of 8th.....(sarcarsm)

Biff Pocoroba
08-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Mes looks just completely lost up there at the plate right now.

BungleBengals
08-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Hanigan is definitely better than Mes at this point. Hanigan is one of the best batters on the team. He would have more than 15 RBIs if Dusty would bat him anywhere besides 8th. Hanigan is a very disciplined batter, similar to Votto IMO. He rarely strikes out and can sacrifice batters over or in. Look at the game yesterday, he gets a guy in front of him in scoring position and he knocks him in. Hanigan has been hitting behind Cairo, Valdez, and Rolen who just get out and leave no one on base for him to bat in. Story of Hanigan's offense is that he gets a hit and then watches as our pitcher strikes out, Cozart flies out, and Stubbs strikes out, inning over.

Mes I think has developed nicely on this level. While I am not excited to see he is catching, I think he has come a long way, especially with his repoire with our pitchers. The ejection just goes to show he has his pitcher's back and I think he is fairly smart behind the plate. He knows where to throw the ball on bunts and he calls a lot of check swings which usually turn into strikes. He definitely can improve on his ABs. Hitting around the Mendoza lineup is not doing it now and I think his throws to second can be improved upon.

The only reason I would bring Navarro up again would be because he has more MLB experience and he is a switch hitter.

Larkin88
08-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Mesoraco has been one of the very few disappointing aspects of this season. In hindsight, it appears he would have been best served spending this season in AAA and letting Hanigan and Navarro handle the catching duties this year. He is lost at the plate and it's really frustrating to watch him hit.

Then what do you do next year?

Rookie catchers go through a lot of learning pains if they aren't one of the rare exceptions. And if they're great out of the gate on one side of the ball, they're usually far from polished on the other. In my opinion, elevating Mes when a natural position in the battery split came up with Ramon leaving was the right idea.

I also think that him currently handling 2/5 of the split is the right decision, though I likewise concede that it probably has kept him from getting much traction at the plate.

It's an imperfect situation and the Reds as a team have been good enough to overcome it. He really can only improve and I am one of the people who is exceedingly excited to see his upside.

As for Hanigan hitting first or second, I'm as big an advocate of on-base percentage as the next guy and realize Hanigan's usually a stud in that category. I wouldn't be adverse to seeing him at least kick the tires on a top of the lineup role, but am not so confident as many others that it would be for the betterment of the team long term. I know we like making jokes about Dusty's ludicrous "clogging the bases" comments in their truest sense of the word, but do have reservations with Hanigan's speed (or lack there of) being counted on in close games where a run wins it.

I just don't think we have an obvious option to cure our leadoff roles on the 25-man at this point. Thankfully, there are much worse problems we could have.

jback76
08-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Well, there's a disconnect between what you're seeing and what's reality.

Meso is hitting .200 w/ .288 OBP. Hanigan is hitting. .284 w/ .368 OBP. That's over 100 point difference in OPS. While Meso has the potential, it's not matching what you're "see him as".

Hanigan has outplayed Meso and has deserved the playing time. I would want Hanigan to be batting 1-2. The guy would be great to grind out ABs at the top of the order. Then again, as a catcher, I don't think he could handle batting outside of 8th.....(sarcarsm)

I just see Mesoraco as needing more playing time next year and you'll see his numbers come around. If you remember it wasn't that long ago Ludwick's average was hovering around the .200 mark. With Hanny's lack of speed I would never bat him at the top of the order. Hanny's a gamer I'll give him credit for that. As for yesterday's offensive outburst for Hanny, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

AintlifeGrande
08-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Hanigan is unsung.He ranks right up there with Molina on defense.And has some timely hits when needed.