PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens, 50, back in baseball

Brutus
08-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Signs a deal with Sugar Land of the Atlantic League.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8285793/roger-clemens-signs-independent-sugar-land-skeeters-texas

Now he'll see what he has left for the Skeeters, who play in the Atlantic League. He joins a roster that includes former major league pitchers Tim Redding and Scott Kazmir and Jason Lane, a teammate of Clemens' on Houston's 2005 World Series team.

_Sir_Charles_
08-20-2012, 06:21 PM
IMO, this is just a gimmick to increase the attendance at the new Sugerland ballpark. This is pretty close to where Clemens lives, and with the Astros playing like they are, the Skeeters have a pretty decent shot at a solid attendance boost.

Brutus
08-20-2012, 06:23 PM
IMO, this is just a gimmick to increase the attendance at the new Sugerland ballpark. This is pretty close to where Clemens lives, and with the Astros playing like they are, the Skeeters have a pretty decent shot at a solid attendance boost.

I'm sure for Sugar Land you're probably right. Hard to say what Clemens' motivation is for doing it, though.

_Sir_Charles_
08-20-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm sure for Sugar Land you're probably right. Hard to say what Clemens' motivation is for doing it, though.

He's got friends in the organization, he's got friends in the business community around the ballpark, he's got friends and neighbors in the area who would just like the excitement. He certainly doesn't need the money, the experience or the publicity. Add to the fact that he's probably bored right now not doing anything, and figured what the hell.

oneupper
08-20-2012, 07:16 PM
I wonder what the Atlantic League's testing policy is? :)

_Sir_Charles_
08-20-2012, 07:17 PM
I wonder what the Atlantic League's testing policy is? :)

"Smoke 'em if you got 'em" ;)

edabbs44
08-20-2012, 07:20 PM
He's such a warrior.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Have fun, Roger.

Can't fault a guy for that!

Dom Heffner
08-20-2012, 07:51 PM
There was a headline that said Clemens was risking resetting his HOF clock.

Any chance he's trying to push the vote down the road?

Wonderful Monds
08-20-2012, 07:59 PM

That can't be true can it? Rickey Henderson went in the same year he was still playing independent pro ball didn't he?

Brutus
08-20-2012, 08:02 PM
That can't be true can it? Rickey Henderson went in the same year he was still playing independent pro ball didn't he?

The clock is only reset if he signs a deal with a Major League club. Signing with an independent club doesn't jeopardize his HOF clock.

fearofpopvol1
08-20-2012, 08:44 PM

Very well could be. I heard a rumor from a friend that Clemens is interested in signing with a contender to go in their bullpen. Not sure if it's true or not, but it would make sense. Time is probably the best thing for Clemens.

RedFanAlways1966
08-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Time is probably the best thing for Clemens.

I hope "his people" do not recommend lying until he gets a great book deal to come clean.

Razor Shines
08-20-2012, 10:05 PM
He's such a warrior.

Lol.

"And look who's riding into the stadium in the wagon behind the owner's tractor!! "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtomicDumpling
08-20-2012, 11:51 PM

I agree. I think that is exactly what he is trying to do. He wants to prove he can still pitch by playing in the independent league, then sign with an MLB team. The goal is to push his HOF eligibility 5 years down the road. By then another PEDs cheater will have been elected and his bumpy road will have been smoothed somewhat. He wants to make sure he gets voted in the first time he is eligible. It is an ego thing.

kaldaniels
08-22-2012, 09:03 AM
I just realized Scott Kazmir is on this team. That is almost more mind boggling than Clemens on the team. Talk about a shredded arm.

Captain Hook
08-25-2012, 09:17 PM
So no runs allowed in 3.1 ip tonight by Clemens.FB was topping out at 88 mph and right now he's supposedly out of shape.Even though he's 50 years old something tells me he'll be back.

Tadasimha
08-25-2012, 09:44 PM
ESPN is carrying the game on ESPN3 and former Red Danny Graves is the color announcer. Checked out the bio on ESPN to make sure it was the same Danny Graves and apparently this is one of his first gigs with them. He did a few little league regional games last week also.

Raisor
08-25-2012, 09:53 PM
ESPN is carrying the game on ESPN3 and former Red Danny Graves is the color announcer. Checked out the bio on ESPN to make sure it was the same Danny Graves and apparently this is one of his first gigs with them. He did a few little league regional games last week also.

maybe he'll flick everyone off

Tom Servo
08-26-2012, 12:17 AM
http://frontrow.espn.go.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Screen-shot-2012-08-23-at-3.34.47-PM.jpg

Chip R
08-26-2012, 12:21 AM
If the Astros end up signing him, it's doubtful he'll pitch against the Reds since they are playing in HOU this weekend and then the following one here. I would think he will not join them on road trips.

Phhhl
08-26-2012, 02:43 AM
This is a joke. He just wants to seperate himself from the illegitimate HOF candidates who come up next year, even though he is probably the most agregious offender of all of them. I would love to see the Reds get a chance to pound him into oblivion in a start down the stretch of this season. Would be like an off day.

Vottomatic
09-05-2012, 03:02 PM
The Astros will scout the 50-year-old's next start, but the Rangers and Royals don't appear to have interest. Clemens, who last pitched in the Major Leagues for the 2007 Yankees, could delay his appearances on the Hall of Fame ballot if he appears in an MLB game this year. Astros players have told their friends they think Clemens will sign with Houston, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported last week.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/09/clemens-no-mlb-in-2012.html