Tom Servo
08-22-2012, 01:29 AM
http://omgreds.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/jeff-brantley_wings-650x889.jpg

Nasty_Boy
08-22-2012, 02:08 AM
He looks like a Far Side character

RedLegsToday
08-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Did he follow that up with a 20-dip UDF cone?

mattfeet
08-22-2012, 07:21 AM
There's so many things wrong with that picture I don't even know where to begin.

edabbs44
08-22-2012, 07:29 AM
I can't get past the shirt.

Degenerate39
08-22-2012, 07:44 AM

Borrowed it from Joey

Cooper
08-22-2012, 07:54 AM
In 15 years -grandpa munster.

redsmetz
08-22-2012, 08:05 AM
In 15 years -grandpa munster.

I was surprised at what I found on this, but Jeff Brantley today is actually eight years older than Al Lewis was when he played Grandpa Munster (41). In fact, he was a year younger than Yvonne De Carlo and just three years older than Fred Gwynne, who played his son. I think he had one of those faces like Walter Brennan (Grandpa McCoy, for those my age) who always played old, even early in his career.

Raisor
08-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Those look like breaded rocks.

redsmetz
08-22-2012, 08:33 AM
BTW, does anyone know what the story is behind this picture? I'm assuming it's for some promo or another. I think someone has noted this elsewhere, but if Brantley actually ate like he suggests he does (and I think it's mostly a schtick), he'd be a heart attack waiting to happen.

Vottomatic
08-22-2012, 08:37 AM
I hope he has a good exercise routine to burn all those calories he apparently eats.

When I turned 40, it was like my metabolism dropped off significantly.

westofyou
08-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Something about the character he's crafting as a Reds announcer/eating good old boy that is 2nd rate IMO. It's about 3 decades too late, it screams Hee Haw and the mid 70's, all that is missing is the polyester and Dolly Parton jokes.

redsmetz
08-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Something about the character he's crafting as a Reds announcer/eating good old boy that is 2nd rate IMO. It's about 3 decades too late, it screams Hee Haw and the mid 70's, all that is missing is the polyester and Dolly Parton jokes.

Overall I agree. The shame is, when Brantley puts his mind to it, he's capable of coming up with some great insights on the game in front of him; what a batter should be doing or seeing, how a pitch should be thrown, etc. He's no dummy. And just to beat the drum one more time, he really needs to work on modulating his enthusiasm when the opposing team does something good. I'm not looking for a dirge, but it should be more "matter of fact." My wife's caught on to this too. He'll make a call and then realize it's for the other team and she's constantly saying "why's he so excited". I wish they'd play to Jeff's strengths though.

medford
08-22-2012, 10:38 AM
I completly disagree. Its why we all loved Joe, he came across as a self-effacing local boy who wore his heart on his sleeves. We looked past the Left-right centerfield because he was "one of us". Its why the Reds on Radio remained popular for so long despite so many more games becoming available on TV. The radio ratings remain high today. Why? Because listening to the Reds on the radio becomes more than just a game. You get jokes and backstories, stupid trivia and "ax Marty".

Lets face it, baseball is often a very slow paced game, sometimes going an hour or more with very little action on the field other than routine hits and bloop singles. Jeff adds some great commentary about the inside of the games, he mentioned early last night how he could tell a difference in Bailey's delivery, how he was "getting on top of his pitches better" Despite the 1st inning struggles, Bailey pitched very solidly last night, and Jeff nailed it by the 3rd batter of the game. Brantly also offers the sideshow for when the action slows down. Is it 70ish and hee-hawish? Sure, but that's largely the audience he's playing to. He provides great little nuggets of baseball wisdom while not taking himself too seriously, just like Joe used to do. The guy mowing his lawn before sun sets or working in his garage when it gets dark, the family enjoying the back yard largely appreciate the guy who feels more like one of them.

westofyou
08-22-2012, 10:44 AM
I completly disagree. Its why we all loved Joe, he came across as a self-effacing local boy who wore his heart on his sleeves. We looked past the Left-right centerfield because he was "one of us". Its why the Reds on Radio remained popular for so long despite so many more games becoming available on TV. The radio ratings remain high today. Why? Because listening to the Reds on the radio becomes more than just a game. You get jokes and backstories, stupid trivia and "ax Marty".

Lets face it, baseball is often a very slow paced game, sometimes going an hour or more with very little action on the field other than routine hits and bloop singles. Jeff adds some great commentary about the inside of the games, he mentioned early last night how he could tell a difference in Bailey's delivery, how he was "getting on top of his pitches better" Despite the 1st inning struggles, Bailey pitched very solidly last night, and Jeff nailed it by the 3rd batter of the game. Brantly also offers the sideshow for when the action slows down. Is it 70ish and hee-hawish? Sure, but that's largely the audience he's playing to. He provides great little nuggets of baseball wisdom while not taking himself too seriously, just like Joe used to do. The guy mowing his lawn before sun sets or working in his garage when it gets dark, the family enjoying the back yard largely appreciate the guy who feels more like one of them.

Sure I get that, it just doesn't resonate with me. I change the station when he goes it alone, I'll even listen to Milo Hamilton.

George Anderson
08-22-2012, 10:59 AM

Yea but it is a pretty good strategy actually. If you listen to the callers on the Banana Phone and the Hot Stove League and Brantley's character fits right in.

lollipopcurve
08-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Bullseye -- it's just embarrassing. It's occurred to me this summer that more and more that's the baseball demographic. NASCAR mindmeld, ugh. Then there's the obesity epidemic, and Brantley is vamping to be the baseball spokesman for that, it seems.

Chip R
08-22-2012, 11:05 AM
It would be nice if he put as much effort into improving his play by play skills as he does honing this character. I do agree he's great at analysis.

Nasty_Boy
08-22-2012, 11:12 AM
I regularly listen to the opposing radio teams... He tries so hard to act funny and be the "Cowboy" that he doesn't add to what's going on. When he and Marty get on a roll and starting bashing and riding players, or doing ask Marty, the station gets changed real quick!

cumberlandreds
08-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Brantley is really good when sets his mind to pitching analysis. He had some really good takes on pitching during that Cub series. I do get tired of eating spiels. They don't really go over as that funny to me. I worked with a guy about a decade or so ago who was about Brantley size and his age as of now. He liked to yuck it up about how he much ate and all. Well he dropped dead of a heart attack after shoveling some snow one evening. Those jokes and yucks didn't seem near as funny then.

cumberlandreds
08-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Sure I get that, it just doesn't resonate with me. I change the station when he goes it alone, I'll even listen to Milo Hamilton.

That's pretty bad when you have to switch to Hamilton too.

traderumor
08-22-2012, 01:16 PM

Lets face it, baseball is often a very slow paced game, sometimes going an hour or more with very little action on the field other than routine hits and bloop singles. Jeff adds some great commentary about the inside of the games, he mentioned early last night how he could tell a difference in Bailey's delivery, how he was "getting on top of his pitches better" Despite the 1st inning struggles, Bailey pitched very solidly last night, and Jeff nailed it by the 3rd batter of the game. Brantly also offers the sideshow for when the action slows down. Is it 70ish and hee-hawish? Sure, but that's largely the audience he's playing to. He provides great little nuggets of baseball wisdom while not taking himself too seriously, just like Joe used to do. The guy mowing his lawn before sun sets or working in his garage when it gets dark, the family enjoying the back yard largely appreciate the guy who feels more like one of them.When I'm listening on the radio, I need the scene painted. He barely can do chicken scratches with his play by play. His descriptions of plays are poor and play on emotions when you are flying blind. You can get away with that on TV, not on radio. He's comparable to Dan O'Brien as GM bad on play by play.

RichRed
08-22-2012, 01:24 PM

I agree. I get that he's doing the whole "folksy" bit, but he comes across as a hack to me. I don't expect Shakespeare in the booth or anything, but he's inarticulate to the point of embarrassment, occasional pitching insights aside.

klw
08-22-2012, 02:55 PM
I wonder if Bartolo Colon was at the next table.

Cooper
08-22-2012, 02:56 PM
The difference with Nuxall and Brantley is with Joe all of those characteristics appeared authentic. Brantley does not seem or appear to be authentic so it comes off as an act. An act that he, himself is not comfortable wearing.

The best announcers are the announcers that are comfortable in their own skin and with being themselves (though there may be some part of themselves that might be exaggerated). I never feel like Marty is not comfortable with what he says or does, same with Welsh, Kerch, and Thom Brenneman (Grande comes off as "not authentic" in my eyes but i'm not sure people agree - i think he's a fan of himself and his niceness. I think his home runs calls are terrible, but maybe that's my thing).

The downer of it all is that when Brantley does his best work -it's when he is in "coach" mode. His play by play is bad- he'll get better at that.

REDREAD
08-22-2012, 03:18 PM
I guess I am in the minority, but I like it when Brantley does the innings alone. Without someone else to tell his eating stories too. He focuses on the game. He tells what's happening as good as Kelch. Better than Marty and Thom. Yea, he has a southern twang, but that doesn't bother me.

I agree, his eating stories and jumping on the bashing bandwagon for Marty are too much. What I really hate is whenever Brantley makes a legit negative observation on the Reds, Marty is so quick to jump on it and escalate it to a rant.. Marty has always done that.. example.. Brantley will say the hitter is positioned to expect an offspeed pitch coming.. Hitter gets a hit on an offspeed pitch.. Marty goes into "The Reds pitcher was an idiot to throw that" mode.. Despite the fact that Marty has really no clue about the batter positioning his stance, etc. Marty just sits there, waiting to feed off any negative stuff. It has become really annoying how Marty takes pleasure when Stubbs, Homer or Leake struggles. When they play well, he shuts up, but God forbid they walk a guy or give up a hit..

Give me Welsh, Brantley, and Kelch any day..

vaticanplum
08-22-2012, 04:21 PM

This entire thread should be about that shirt. I don't understand it. What is happening here? Is it intentionally supposed to be a striped shirt overlaid with a camouflage pattern? Did he slide into a dirt pile? Was there not enough material in either pattern for a whole shirt, so the designer got creative? I sincerely can't tell and I am disturbed.

edit: Also, I am obliged to say this every time there is a Jeff Brantley thread: Jeff Brantley once slapped me on the ass. Never forget.

UKFlounder
08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
That picture reminded me of this guy for some reason

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tPZzR7EpIjg/TOvm0QJO-dI/AAAAAAAAAVo/ZdF-UeyzuEw/s1600/buffalobill.jpg

westofyou
08-22-2012, 04:33 PM
edit: Also, I am obliged to say this every time there is a Jeff Brantley thread: Jeff Brantley once slapped me on the ass. Never forget.

I forgot about that wonderful and classy act by the one ice cream fears.

What a guy, but don't worry... that guy cutting his lawn would do it if he had the cache that "The Cowboy" has.

For your sake I hope it wasn't his left hand.... the one with the wedding ring on it.

OldRightHander
08-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Most of the time I can take Brantley ok. You mention Hamilton, and while admitting a certain level of talent, he grates on my nerves with all this "we" talk when referring to the team. I don't think I've ever heard Marty refer to the Reds as we. It makes me want to ask Milo what position he plays.

Tom Servo
08-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Assuming this happened in the time Brantley was employed by the Reds, if you had thought harder about it you could have sued and could be half owner of the Reds today. :laugh:

_Sir_Charles_
08-22-2012, 06:29 PM
The ONLY time I enjoy hearing Brantley is when he's breaking down some pitcher's mechanics. When he talking about the intricacies of pitching, he's on target...otherwise, he's abominable.

OldRightHander
08-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Turn the other cheek?

Nathan
08-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Most of the time I can take Brantley ok. You mention Hamilton, and while admitting a certain level of talent, he grates on my nerves with all this "we" talk when referring to the team. I don't think I've ever heard Marty refer to the Reds as we. It makes me want to ask Milo what position he plays.

When Marty first joined the Reds, he did the "We" thing too. After a win, he was interviewing a player (I forget who) about a nice win "We" had that day. The player straight up asked him how many hits or pitches did he have that day. Marty hasn't referred to the team as "We" since.

WMR
08-22-2012, 11:54 PM
He needs to gain at least 75-100 more lbs before I'm buying into this schtick.

George Anderson
08-22-2012, 11:58 PM
When Marty first joined the Reds, he did the "We" thing too. After a win, he was interviewing a player (I forget who) about a nice win "We" had that day. The player straight up asked him how many hits or pitches did he have that day. Marty hasn't referred to the team as "We" since.

It was Jack Billingham.

I also never use the word "we" when talking bout the Reds.

Nathan
08-23-2012, 12:05 AM
It was Jack Billingham.

I also never use the word "we" when talking bout the Reds.

:thumbup: Thanks. That was going to drive me crazy.

Playadlc
08-23-2012, 12:18 AM
With the exception of Chris Welsh and Vin Scully, I think Reds fans here are incredibly hard on announcers. Not just Reds announcers either.

None of them are really that bad...except Joe Buck. He truly is terrible.

Unassisted
08-23-2012, 10:05 AM
When I'm listening on the radio, I need the scene painted. He barely can do chicken scratches with his play by play. His descriptions of plays are poor and play on emotions when you are flying blind. You can get away with that on TV, not on radio. He's comparable to Dan O'Brien as GM bad on play by play.If Marty didn't insist on taking innings off from PBP during a game, the audience wouldn't have to endure anyone else handling it when he's in the booth. I'd be interested to hear how many other teams let their main PBP announcer take innings off. I doubt that it's very common anymore.

westofyou
08-23-2012, 11:38 AM
If Marty didn't insist on taking innings off from PBP during a game, the audience wouldn't have to endure anyone else handling it when he's in the booth. I'd be interested to hear how many other teams let their main PBP announcer take innings off. I doubt that it's very common anymore.

The Giants do it, Houston does it... all the teams with older icon announcers

RedEye
08-23-2012, 11:45 AM
I thought that was Billy Murray in GROUNDHOG DAY for a second there.