PDA

View Full Version : Biggest psychological win last night?

Vottomatic
08-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Maybe not the biggest win of the season, but I've felt for awhile now, going back to the 2010 playoffs, that the Reds players had a confidence problem with the Phillies. That big bad pounding offense with Utley and Howard, and the speed of Rollins and Pierre.......and then that pitching lineup of Hamels, Halladay, Lee, Worley...........was intimidating to the Reds players and pitchers.

I really was proud last night at how the team battled in a hostile environment where they've had little success lately.

Seemed like some of that weight of the Phillies was taken off last night.

Not sure how you guys felt. I was a bit relieved. They are rising up against good pitching. Nice to see. Precursor to the postseason.

I hope they can continue to battle in Philly.

hebroncougar
08-22-2012, 08:46 AM
As frustrating as the offense was in the first six innings, that seventh was a thing of beauty. If they can do that against Cliff Lee, I like our chances if we make the postseason. Not many pitchers are tougher than him.

mbgrayson
08-22-2012, 09:09 AM
It did feel like a big weight was lifted with this win. They need one more win in Philly at least, and to leave town with at least a split.

George Anderson
08-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Years past i would have turned the channel because the game was likely over but this time I didnt. There are alot of very good things about this team and last night was a perfect example.

PuffyPig
08-22-2012, 09:23 AM
I think only the Red's fans are really intimidated by the Phillies.

The players certainly didn't look intimidated. They didn't get a ton of luck yet kept battling until they won.

I think the Red's players know they are a better team today than the Phillies. What happened in the past isn't likely to mean much to guys like Chapman, Frazier, Cozart, Latos, etc. who weren't even part of those teams.

mdccclxix
08-22-2012, 09:35 AM
I'd love to see the Reds get the upper hand in the psychological department tonight. A 6-1 win would be very satisfying. Then go to Thursday night with Cueto going for 17 vs Hamels. Could be good times!

redssince75
08-22-2012, 09:42 AM
I think the biggest psychological win was continuing "put them away" even when they wouldn't go away. Persistence.

Haven't scored all game, blow a bases-loaded no outs situation in the 6th, and facing Lee again in the 7th? Got it done.

They tie and you have to come back again in the 8th? Got it done.

They tie AGAIN and you have to come back AGAIN in the 9th? Got it done.

At any of those points we could have packed it in. Plus we got Broxton the "win" (a great example of how silly that stat can be).

redsmetz
08-22-2012, 09:44 AM
I think only the Red's fans are really intimidated by the Phillies.

The players certainly didn't look intimidated. They didn't get a ton of luck yet kept battling until they won.

I think the Red's players know they are a better team today than the Phillies. What happened in the past isn't likely to mean much to guys like Chapman, Frazier, Cozart, Latos, etc. who weren't even part of those teams.

This is my thought too.

I've been thinking for a while of making this comment in the "this team isn't much fun to watch" thread, but I'll say it here. There was a point earlier in the season, and I recall when it was, where I felt like this team felt different than say, the '99 team or even the one in 2010. In those seasons, I generally felt strongly that if a game was close, we'd find a way to win it.

I didn't have that feeling with this team, and I'm not certain I do yet. But I've come to the place to this team where I believe they can be in every game. Some days they may get smacked around like a rag doll (Monday's game comes to mind), but the next day is a clean slate and let's see who wins today's game. I'm surprised when the team loses, although I'm not sure "surprised" is the right word.

It's not a perfect team in any way. The weaknesses throughout the roster are well discussed in these parts, but we just keep winning. The Enquirer doesn't seem to have the entire article from this a.m.'s paper online, but Dusty talked about the psychology in games like this. Sheldon has similar quotes:

"It's a matter of will power," Baker said. "When you get down there and you're fighting and fighting, you almost have to think it, believe it and will it to happen. There's something to that. I've seen it many times. I just tell our guys you've got to keep believing and keep willing."

I think this team believes they can play anyone and win. That's crucial.

Blimpie
08-22-2012, 09:46 AM
I cannot speak for the level of intimidation felt by all Reds fans, but Frazier and Cozart clearly were unfazed by the 45,000+ in the crowd last night.

You can hardly call those guys rookies at this juncture.

westofyou
08-22-2012, 09:47 AM
I cannot speak for the level of intimidation felt by all Reds fans, but Frazier and Cozart clearly were unfazed by the 45,000+ in the crowd last night.

You can hardly call those guys rookies at this juncture.

<sarcasm> Because Dusty plays them! </sarcasm>

redsfan30
08-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Definetly nice to get a win in Philly but a huge mental hurdle to climb would be a series victory in that ballpark.

Homer Bailey
08-22-2012, 10:39 AM
I don't think there is anything tangible to support that the Reds were intimidated by the Phillies.

westofyou
08-22-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't think there is anything tangible to support that the Reds were intimidated by the Phillies.

It's just as likely that they were weighed down with cheese steaks and tastycakes while in town and that affected their game.

cumberlandreds
08-22-2012, 11:01 AM
A phsychological win is only as good as your next days starting pitching. Isn't that how the old saying goes? :)

mbgrayson
08-22-2012, 11:49 AM

This quote from a story (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2012/08/20/reds_hit_halladay_hard_still_lose_to_phillies/)after Monday's loss:
The Phillies have won seven straight over the Reds and 12 of 13, dating to 2010. This was their first meeting this season.

I just watch our normally strong bullpen come in on Monday and see everyone that pitched give up runs. I watch players fail to hit with runners on base. Is there any proof at all that this is due to being intimidated? Nope. Just my feeling, having watched Monday, and seeing the emotional similarity to several blown big lead games in Philly the last couple years. It just felt to me like the Reds have struggled to play good baseball against the Phillies for several years.

And last night was better. Although the lead was given up, the Reds kept battling, and came out on top. Now, we need a 9 to 2 laugher in our favor, followed by a 2 to 1 win tomorrow.

CarolinaRedleg
08-22-2012, 12:06 PM
A phsychological win is only as good as your next days starting pitching. Isn't that how the old saying goes? :)

Paging Good Bronson.....

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-22-2012, 12:09 PM
How deflating would it be to the Cards and Pirates if the Reds win the next two in Philly? Or even, for that matter, just earn a split. Those two fan bases have probably been pointing to this week - four at Philly, three vs. St. Louis - as one of the final chances to really gain some meaningful ground on the Reds.

George Foster
08-22-2012, 10:11 PM
we forget us going into Yankee stadium and winning 2 out of 3....that to me was a huge series win for this team.

Sweeping the Cards after the All-Star break was big too.

Vottomatic
08-22-2012, 10:14 PM
How deflating would it be to the Cards and Pirates if the Reds win the next two in Philly? Or even, for that matter, just earn a split. Those two fan bases have probably been pointing to this week - four at Philly, three vs. St. Louis - as one of the final chances to really gain some meaningful ground on the Reds.

I'm not going to count my chickens before they're hatched........but if the Reds win 2 of 3 from the Cards this weekend........I'm going to feel pretty confident in this team to meet the challenges of September.

I always brace myself for that unforeseen losing streak. But they've been minimal this season.

Never dreamed this team would do this well.

cincrazy
08-22-2012, 10:18 PM
This series was a huge litmus test for me. The Phils may not be the machine from previous years, but they're a sneaky good team at this point in the season. Earlier in the year they were just destroyed with injuries. Howard was out, Utley was out, Victorino had an off year, Pence slumped, Lee was out, Halladay was out. And on and on. Now Hallday and Lee are back and pitching well (albeit not getting much luck). The offense isn't great, but can hurt you on any given night. The pen needs work, but Papelbon is a beast at the end. Frandsen has been great at third, Kratz has been red hot since replacing Ruiz.

This series, to me, was going to say a lot about what the Reds could do in October. And I know that's probably not a rational way to think. Even a four game sweep here wouldn't have meant the Reds couldn't win the World Series. But I needed to see that this team could handle this moment. In this ballpark. With those demons swirling around from 2010. The core of this team very much remembers our failures against them. BP has made a few comments on Twitter about how this series was a big test for them.

And they've responded so well. This season is a dream. And I think the way they've performed these last few nights bodes well for October. The Phils are a dangerous team to play this time of year. And the Reds are taking care of business.

defender
08-23-2012, 04:49 PM

This was a game between a team 25 games over .500 and a team 8 games under .500. The reactions in the dugout and after the game, indicated to me that the Reds felt it was a very big win.

cumberlandreds
08-23-2012, 05:48 PM
we forget us going into Yankee stadium and winning 2 out of 3....that to me was a huge series win for this team.

Sweeping the Cards after the All-Star break was big too.

I think that Yankee series really gave them a lot of confidence. They seemed to really gel after that series.