PDA

View Full Version : Nats leaning toward shutting Strasburg down for last 2-3 starts

Brutus
08-22-2012, 10:01 PM
According to Davey Johnson...

"I think it came out that with the off days we'd need another starter for I think two starts," Johnson said after talking with general manager Mike Rizzo. "I think two starts, might have been three."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8294265/washington-nationals-replace-stephen-strasburg-2-3-starts-davey-johnson-says

kaldaniels
08-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Not a bad start. I'd do anything I could to safely have him pitch in the playoffs...I think it almost verges on foolish not to.

Brutus
08-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Not a bad start. I'd do anything I could to safely have him pitch in the playoffs...I think it almost verges on foolish not to.

It's not real clear whether they're shutting him down for good or only until the playoffs. I read the other day they were thinking of using him in the bullpen for the playoffs, so perhaps they're going to shut him down for 2-3 starts and pitch him in the pen during the playoffs. Not sure, but it's not real clear.

He's sitting at 145 innings right now, and his spot in the rotation is due to come up probably about seven more times. So that's about another 40-45 innings.

If they're talking about shaving off 2-3 starts, that would work out to be finishing the regular season with around 170-175 innings pitched.

I get the impression they're going to call it a day when they get to that number. It seems 180 is the magic threshold they're looking at.