PDA

View Full Version : Expand the 25 man roster

Vottomatic
08-24-2012, 12:03 AM
This whole sit Strasburg thing has gotten me thinking more and more that they should expand the 25 to 27 or 28.

A team could have 6 starting pitchers, and allow one of them to rotate in and give the other 5 a rest from time to time.

Also, another bat off the bench and another reliever wouldn't hurt.

I've never liked having to play short handed or having a starter get banged up but not enough to warrant a DL stint, but enough to have him sit a few games and be useless.

28 man roster would alleviate some of these issues.

I feel the same way about the NFL. They need to add a few more players to the main roster.

I know it will never happen. But when ideas come up about making changes to mlb, this is one I'd consider.

Johnny Footstool
08-24-2012, 12:04 AM
More players on the ML roster means a bigger payroll. No, thanks.

RedsManRick
08-24-2012, 12:27 AM
More players on the ML roster means a bigger payroll. No, thanks.

Not necessarily. You're mostly adding guys to the back of the roster -- likely a DH/PH type and a bullpen arm. It would probably add a few million bucks per team, but nothing disruptive. Of course, that's just salary. I have no idea what other costs teams incur in terms of benefits, travel, etc.

Brutus
08-24-2012, 12:31 AM
I'd like to see the rosters begin at 40 for the first month of the season and go down to 26 or 27 in May.

Johnny Footstool
08-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Not necessarily. You're mostly adding guys to the back of the roster -- likely a DH/PH type and a bullpen arm. It would probably add a few million bucks per team, but nothing disruptive. Of course, that's just salary. I have no idea what other costs teams incur in terms of benefits, travel, etc.

It's another excuse for small-budget teams to cry poor, and for rich teams to load up with more high-dollar talent. If payroll disparity is a problem, expanding the rosters would only make it worse.

Vottomatic
08-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Well, I think if preserving health and the arms/shoulders of these young pitchers, based on building up their innings pitched, then expanding the rosters to add another starting pitcher who can be used to spell a regular starter here and there, might do the trick.

If MLB would install and enforce a true maximum and minimum salary cap, like the NFL, we would see more parity in MLB.

As for expanding to 28 players.........add 1 backup starter, 1 reliever, and 1 more bat/fielder. Usually these guys are making $500,000 to $1M anyway. And alot of teams have guys in the minors who signed major league deals anyway such as Alonso, who was making $1M per season even in the minor leagues.

Another idea is allow the 6th starter to have a "floater" ability with no penalties. Meaning he could go to triple A and start occasionally to stay "fresh".

I have other ideas for things that bother me, such as adding international players to the draft. I hate the way the Japanese do it. Total rip off to American ML teams. Make everyone eligible for the draft, Dominican, Hispanic, Mexican, Japanese, European, college, high school, etc..........it's still set up so that the have's can outspend everyone. And have a slotted draft like the NBA and NFL, where it's predetermined what the draftee will make, to eliminate holdouts and such. The only way a drafted player won't sign is if they don't like the team that drafted them.

1. Minimum/Maximum salary cap.
2. Expand rosters to 27 or 28 players, and have a floater 6th starter. Preserve the health of young arms. Eliminate unnecessary transactions from the minor leagues.
3. Expand the draft to be completely international so every team has the same opportunity.
4. 1 & 3 help create more parity in baseball.

vic715
08-24-2012, 04:39 PM
I'd like to see the rosters begin at 40 for the first month of the season and go down to 26 or 27 in May.

I know that back in the 60's I believe you could take 27 players north but had to trim down to 25 by May 1st.Does anyone else remember this or am I getting senile.

_Sir_Charles_
08-24-2012, 04:48 PM
I think it should be 30 man rosters. But before every game, the manager has to submit a 25 man game roster as well as the lineup. If the game goes into extra innings, the entire roster gets opened up for use. Allows for much more flexibility and it's not overly complicated.

westofyou
08-24-2012, 05:05 PM

Use to be at 26 for the first month (in 50's 60's)

Also..

In April 1990, because spring training had been shortened by a labor conflict, teams were allowed two additional roster spots until April 25. This precedent was repeated after the settlement of the 1994 strike, when teams were allowed three additional roster spots at the start of the 1995 season until May 15. Conversely, Major League teams decided to play with 24-man rosters during the first half of the 1978 season (i.e. until July 1) and during the entire season - except for the period of expanded rosters - from 1986 to 1989, as a cost-cutting measure in the face of escalating player salaries.

westofyou
08-24-2012, 05:06 PM
I think it should be 30 man rosters. But before every game, the manager has to submit a 25 man game roster as well as the lineup. If the game goes into extra innings, the entire roster gets opened up for use. Allows for much more flexibility and it's not overly complicated.

That's like a hockey roster, always 3-4 guys on the "reserve" list, allows teams to carry fast guys/big guys and play match up

klw
08-24-2012, 07:11 PM
I am fine with the roster limit staying at 25 but would like to see a 7 to 10 day DL for position players and maybe relievers. (Not just limited to concussions)

bellhead
08-24-2012, 07:46 PM

I like that idea a lot... As a couple of extra inning games can kill a bull pen quickly...

Captain Hook
08-25-2012, 02:44 AM
I am fine with the roster limit staying at 25 but would like to see a 7 to 10 day DL for position players and maybe relievers. (Not just limited to concussions)

I've never understood the 15 day DL.There are plenty of injuries that require less healing time but the current rule encourages teams to play short handed for sometimes as long as a week as well as rushing their injured players back.I imagine the rule is there to keep a team from somehow manipulating the 25 man roster to create an unfair advantage but I don't know how that could even happen as long as everyone is playing by the same rules.

vaticanplum
08-25-2012, 01:00 PM

Five people are a lot of extras to travel with though. Over the course of a season that really adds up.

Handling fatigue and balancing playing time is part of a manager's job. I tend to think that 25 is enough for that...30 might open the window for lazier management and even make things a little more boring (less strategy).