PDA

View Full Version : Urban Meyer is full of it

dougdirt
08-24-2012, 01:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8298103/ohio-state-reinstates-linebacker-storm-klein-team

After a charge of domestic violence was dismissed and the senior linebacker pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of misdemeanor disorderly conduct on Wednesday, Klein's status was re-evaluated by Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer on Thursday.

"As I had indicated previously, if there are changes in the charges against Storm, I would re-evaluate his status," Meyer said in a school release. "The charges that would have violated our core values have been totally dismissed."

So let me get this right Urban.... the court system allowed him to plea out to a lesser charge, despite nothing about the event actually changing that got him kicked off of the team, but that lesser charge fits in the core values of Ohio State? You sir, are full of it.

jojo
08-24-2012, 02:12 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8298103/ohio-state-reinstates-linebacker-storm-klein-team

After a charge of domestic violence was dismissed and the senior linebacker pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of misdemeanor disorderly conduct on Wednesday, Klein's status was re-evaluated by Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer on Thursday.

"As I had indicated previously, if there are changes in the charges against Storm, I would re-evaluate his status," Meyer said in a school release. "The charges that would have violated our core values have been totally dismissed."

So let me get this right Urban.... the court system allowed him to plea out to a lesser charge, despite nothing about the event actually changing that got him kicked off of the team, but that lesser charge fits in the core values of Ohio State? You sir, are full of it.

Ya, Urban IS full of it but the victim recanted her story so the charges were substantially altered.

You'll get to read more in the article that Matt Hayes is no doubt furiously typing as we speak. ;)

dougdirt
08-24-2012, 03:23 PM
So it is just like 75% of other domestic violence cases?

Mutaman
08-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Gotta go along with Doug on this one.

Brutus
08-24-2012, 05:10 PM
So it is just like 75% of other domestic violence cases?

So let me get this straight, Doug, the woman says she wasn't hit, the court system recognizes this by dropping the domestic violence charges, and you think he should be punished even though the alleged victim and the law say the incident didn't happen?

That's a strange system of justice.

Maybe she was and maybe he did, but she and the courts say otherwise. The kid should not be punished for something he was was cleared of doing... and please don't debate the term cleared, because it's semantics at this point. As far as the law is concerned, he didn't hit anyone.

Hillsdale87
08-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Klein's not even going to be a starter, and OSU can't go to a bowl. This doesn't seem like a case of a coach looking the other way because he's desperate to win at all costs. Klein won't mean that much, and even if he did, this is a lost season for OSU.

Mutaman
08-24-2012, 05:42 PM
So let me get this straight, Doug, the woman says she wasn't hit, the court system recognizes this by dropping the domestic violence charges, and you think he should be punished even though the alleged victim and the law say the incident didn't happen?

If "the incident didn't happen", what did he plead guilty to?

dougdirt
08-24-2012, 08:36 PM

Maybe she was and maybe he did, but she and the courts say otherwise. The kid should not be punished for something he was was cleared of doing... and please don't debate the term cleared, because it's semantics at this point. As far as the law is concerned, he didn't hit anyone.

In these types of cases, quite often, the woman decides to drop the charges after the fact. When that happens, I just tend to not believe it. Especially when this is in the article

A trial had been postponed until Sept. 24, but according to information presented by Klein's lawyer in Franklin County Municipal Court, the woman "wanted the charges dropped" and said that Klein "didn't hit her, didn't intend to hurt her."

So what did he do that hurt her, that he "didn't intend to do" that took her a while to change her mind on?

guttle11
08-24-2012, 10:01 PM
They put "intend" in there because intending to hit someone is considered assault, not necessarily because he accidentally hurt her.

This is the nature of big time athletics, especially at public schools. They punish on what the courts find. Private schools, like what happened at Xavier, sometimes will follow their rules and not the courts. Public schools more often than not will let the case play out and then move forward.

smith288
08-24-2012, 10:33 PM
It's a pretty sad indictment if people put so much into hating a coach of a football team for this.

jojo
08-24-2012, 10:59 PM
It's a pretty sad indictment if people put so much into hating a coach of a football team for this.

Hyperbole much?

dougdirt
08-24-2012, 11:02 PM

I am an Ohio State fan. Have been my entire life. I don't hate Urban Meyer for this. I think he is full of crap over it. If he simply said "we are giving him a second chance", fine. I don't agree with it, but fine. But it was what he said that "angers" me about it.

Brutus
08-24-2012, 11:27 PM
In these types of cases, quite often, the woman decides to drop the charges after the fact. When that happens, I just tend to not believe it. Especially when this is in the article

A trial had been postponed until Sept. 24, but according to information presented by Klein's lawyer in Franklin County Municipal Court, the woman "wanted the charges dropped" and said that Klein "didn't hit her, didn't intend to hurt her."

So what did he do that hurt her, that he "didn't intend to do" that took her a while to change her mind on?

I have seen this first hand so I know one situation that would describe that comment perfectly. Once, I was at a company party and everyone eventually left and I was the only one there. A guy and his wife were having an argument, which was sort of common. The guy had a temper, although he wasn't abusive, to his credit. He just directed his anger at objects rather than people. That night, she and he were both a little drunk but she started provoking him. She was slapping and throwing punches and trying to get him upset as she had been at odds with him for a few weeks. He pushed her back, with no malice but to push her back from the physical contact, and she fell over the coffee table and started bleeding.

She called the cops and wanted to have him arrested for domestic violence. If I had not been there, he might have been. But my statement corroborated he had no intent to harm her. Later, she apologized and said he didn't hit her or mean to hurt her and the case was dropped completely. That is absolutely a true story and so this particular story hits close to home because I've seen first hand a situation where the guy may well have not been guilty.

But according to you, if he were a football player, he should be kicked off because you "don't believe him."

In your system of justice, should everyone be presumed guilty even if they aren't found as such? Even if we subscribed to your anecdotal 75% of the time they're guilty, that means you say that 25% of the ones that were not guilty of anything, should be punished in their job or extracurricular activities just because you automatically assume everyone to be guilty.

Whether you believe him or not, people shouldn't be punished just because they were alleged to have done wrong. The legal system is set up to give people a fair trial. Klein went through the process and at the end of the day, it was determined he didn't hit her. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. But he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

dougdirt
08-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Brutus, why did the girl change her story? This wasn't someone stepping forward who saw what happened, this was her, changing her story, well after the fact.

And let's be clear, I am bothered by what Urban Meyer said. While I am bothered by the events as well, I get letting him back on the team even if I don't agree with it. What I don't like is what Meyer said about the situation.

Brutus
08-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Brutus, why did the girl change her story? This wasn't someone stepping forward who saw what happened, this was her, changing her story, well after the fact.

And let's be clear, I am bothered by what Urban Meyer said. While I am bothered by the events as well, I get letting him back on the team even if I don't agree with it. What I don't like is what Meyer said about the situation.

She didn't do a mea culpa for about 2-3 weeks. But the cops were still investigating and thinking about pursuing charges and she started to feel bad that she lied.

I just don't get why Meyer's comments are bothersome. He suspended the player, waited out to see what happened with the legal system, and when it became clear the situation was not as bad as it originally seemed, he determined the player deserved a second chance.

I think it makes sense that a disorderly conduct charge carries much less severity than a domestic violence charge, yes? So why doesn't Meyer's comments seem consistent with gauging the severity?

Yachtzee
08-25-2012, 12:11 AM

Victims recant for a variety of reasons. You can't say for sure without knowing the intimate details of how things went down. Often new facts come out after the initial contact with police that indicate that the victim wasn't entirely forthcoming when the police forest show up. For example, victims won't often tell police they started hitting first.

Police in many jurisdictions will overcharge on DV cases just because they want to err on the side of protecting the alleged victim, knowing a protection order will come with arraignment. It's only when they sit down with the prosecutor and interview the alleged victim in greater detail that they determine whether it's a good case of DV. If it's a case where there are injuries, they take pictures so that they can go forward even if the victim recants.

WMR
08-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Urban's no more full of it than the vast majority of college coaches.

dougdirt
08-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Urban's no more full of it than the vast majority of most college coaches.

You are right.

19braves77
08-25-2012, 02:22 AM
This guy is going to leave yall once the Irish realize they have a terrible coach. He did it to Utah and he did to it to Florida.

KronoRed
08-25-2012, 05:00 AM
This guy is going to leave yall once the Irish realize they have a terrible coach. He did it to Utah and he did to it to Florida.

Don't forget Bowling Green ;)

Cedric
08-25-2012, 02:59 PM

I can't believe he left those programs high and dry without actually winning anything or improving the programs.

traderumor
08-25-2012, 03:30 PM

So what did he do that hurt her, that he "didn't intend to do" that took her a while to change her mind on?You are the most interesting man in the world. An expert on domestic violence cases as well. Stay thirsty, my friend. :p

19braves77
08-25-2012, 03:31 PM
I can't believe he left those programs high and dry without actually winning anything or improving the programs.

Utah maybe. Florida he left them dry and at the worst time for recruiting.

traderumor
08-25-2012, 03:43 PM

So let me get this right Urban.... the court system allowed him to plea out to a lesser charge, despite nothing about the event actually changing that got him kicked off of the team, but that lesser charge fits in the core values of Ohio State? You sir, are full of it.As for this critique, you don't see a difference between domestic violence and misdemeanor disorderly conduct? In answer to your question, I do not see the issue as fitting in, but that it is a charge that does not rise to the level of stepping outside the boundaries of "core values." Disorderly conduct is a pretty broad charge that can be handed out to slap hands for making the cops come out on a call, or yelling and screaming waking up the neighbors, or punching a wall, or not being immediately cooperative with law enforcement. I see disorderly conduct charges as adult fit throwing.

I honestly don't want to defend this, I just don't think that your if/then statement stands up very well here. Especially considering what has become common knowledge, that the girl had recanted her version.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-26-2012, 01:26 AM
I reluctantly opened this thread, but now realize why I pretty much stay away from this side of the board, especially when the topic of OSU is brought up.

dougdirt
08-26-2012, 12:44 PM
I reluctantly opened this thread, but now realize why I pretty much stay away from this side of the board, especially when the topic of OSU is brought up.

You do realize that I am a huge Ohio State fan, right? I like Urban Meyer, the coach. He gets it done.

I just don't agree with what is going on in this specific situation. Not that it wouldn't have happened at 90% of other big time schools.

MWM
08-27-2012, 10:49 AM
I just don't agree with what is going on in this specific situation. Not that it wouldn't have happened at 90% of other big time schools.

What exactly did he do wrong?

Are you basing this entirely on your belief that most of the time when people drop charges it's out of coercion or something else? I'm all for coming down hard on someone for this, and if this kid did in fact try to hurt a woman, I'd want him nowhere near the program. But unless there's other evidence we're not aware of, it doesn't seem like the kid did anything worthy of that kind of discipline.

dougdirt
08-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Going to be pretty honest.... part of this is probably because I have been in an extremely bad mood for about two weeks now. It just seems that every little thing really gets to me.

LoganBuck
08-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Going to be pretty honest.... part of this is probably because I have been in an extremely bad mood for about two weeks now. It just seems that every little thing really gets to me.

This gets us all. I am convinced that Chris Heisey is out to ruin the world. Empirical evidence suggests that he is not. I am reluctant to accept that evidence.

RedFanAlways1966
08-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Utah maybe. Florida he left them dry and at the worst time for recruiting.

As a lifelong OSU fan, I will forgive him for doing the same... esp. after winning 2 National Titles. If it is related to health matters, then I hope I understand that health is more important than football.

Just how I roll.

bucksfan2
08-29-2012, 05:34 PM

Your forgetting the part where he has admitted OSU is his dream job. He grew up in Ohio, coached at OSU previously, and seems rather content at OSU. But other than that he is going to jump ship to ND who hasn't been relevant since the 80's.

jojo
08-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Urban Meyer will jump ship because that is what Urban Meyer does.

KronoRed
08-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Urban called ND his dream job more then once.

He likes to get to the top of the mountain, he does not like trying to stay there.

cincrazy
08-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Urban Meyer will jump ship because that is what Urban Meyer does.

Once. At Florida. When he left Bowling Green and Utah, can you really call that jumping ship? He was following the normal coaching path. Florida, yes, he had a meltdown and jumped ship. But he's not exactly Lou Holtz. Not yet, anyways.

jojo
08-29-2012, 09:28 PM
OSU grabbed a hired gun. They don't stick around at the end of the movie....they either get shot or ride away with flames smoldering in the background.

Todd Gack
08-29-2012, 09:57 PM

Are we talking about the Urban haters of 2012 or the Urban haters of 2008?

AintlifeGrande
08-29-2012, 10:06 PM
I don't understand all the ''one and one''talk,about a man who is going to lead the team out of NCAA sanctions and back to respectability.Much like Saban has done at Alabama when they finally got out from under the NCAA's grasp.Why anyone would want to leave a coaching job at a premier football program for an irrelevant Notre Dame squad is beyond me.

jojo
08-30-2012, 07:09 AM
I don't understand all the ''one and one''talk,about a man who is going to lead the team out of NCAA sanctions and back to respectability.Much like Saban has done at Alabama when they finally got out from under the NCAA's grasp.Why anyone would want to leave a coaching job at a premier football program for an irrelevant Notre Dame squad is beyond me.

Alabama has vacated wins under Saban and has only spent a few months of his tenure actually off of NCAA probation. Just sayin'.

cincrazy
08-30-2012, 09:01 AM
OSU grabbed a hired gun. They don't stick around at the end of the movie....they either get shot or ride away with flames smoldering in the background.

I understand your opinion. Believe me, I have my own doubts. I'm not Urban's biggest fan. Never have been. And while I'm excited about his regime, I'm not drinking heavy Kool-Aid either.

That being said, we don't have to worry about him leaving any time soon. If he leaves OSU like he left Florida, and if it happens soon, he can kiss his coaching career goodbye. I think he understands that.

cincrazy
08-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Is Saban really any different? The way he ditched Michigan State, LSU, and the Dolphins?

KronoRed
08-30-2012, 05:34 PM
That being said, we don't have to worry about him leaving any time soon. If he leaves OSU like he left Florida, and if it happens soon, he can kiss his coaching career goodbye. I think he understands that.

Nah, he'll get another job, same as Bobby Petrino, winning makes everything else moot.

Captain Hook
09-01-2012, 02:35 PM

I suggest going to mlb.com and pulling up the current mlb standings and just study that page for about ten minutes.Don't think about why the standings look the way they do just look at them for what they are.Make sure you check out the NL central real close and I think it will help.Doing this has been helping me when I've found myself in a bad mood lately.

Brutus
09-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Nah, he'll get another job, same as Bobby Petrino, winning makes everything else moot.

Ohio State has always, always, always been Urban's dream job and don't let anyone tell you differently. It might not be his last job, but it's always been his most coveted job since he started coaching. That's in his authorized biography too, for the record. There's a whole chapter dedicated to his being a lifelong Ohio State fan and dreaming of coaching there one day.

Urban had been telling very close friends for the last several years that he hoped to have a shot at the Ohio State job. In fact, he had heard rumors that Tressel was going to retire in the next few years and when he left Florida, he told a few people he'd consider getting back into coaching if the Ohio State job opened up.