PDA

View Full Version : Most important series of the year?

Magdal
08-24-2012, 04:48 PM
I believe it is. Not for the Reds, but for the Cards. If the Cards sweep they will be on their way, confidence fully restored. The hapless Matheney did it again in that 19 inning game, yanking Craig and Freeze early for pinch runners that did not run and needing Wainwright to pinch hit in extras. And they say he will learn....when?

But the starting pitching cant be messed with as Garcia is back, and throwing like the old Garcia. Also, the incredible sucking man, Tyler Greene was finally shipped out by the GM to keep MM from useing him any more.

The Cards only weak spot is now the starter Lynn. He will probably give up a bunch 'o runs tonite, but if the Cards bust out another 13 spot it won't matter. The final 2 games will be very tough.

We are going to have a VERY tough race to the finish, with neither team wanting to have to play that crazy one game WC thingy! Are the Pirates out of it? Yes. They have been scuttled. The Cards/Reds finnish 1 and 2 as predicted.;)

Ironman92
08-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Until the next one

smixsell
08-24-2012, 06:34 PM
I believe it is. Not for the Reds, but for the Cards. If the Cards sweep they will be on their way, confidence fully restored. The hapless Matheney did it again in that 19 inning game, yanking Craig and Freeze early for pinch runners that did not run and needing Wainwright to pinch hit in extras. And they say he will learn....when?

But the starting pitching cant be messed with as Garcia is back, and throwing like the old Garcia. Also, the incredible sucking man, Tyler Greene was finally shipped out by the GM to keep MM from useing him any more.

The Cards only weak spot is now the starter Lynn. He will probably give up a bunch 'o runs tonite, but if the Cards bust out another 13 spot it won't matter. The final 2 games will be very tough.

We are going to have a VERY tough race to the finish, with neither team wanting to have to play that crazy one game WC thingy! Are the Pirates out of it? Yes. They have been scuttled. The Cards/Reds finnish 1 and 2 as predicted.;)

Even if the Cards sweep, which I'll wager they WON'T, it's still not going to be a VERY TOUGH race to the finish.

Our pitching is MILES better than yours, and this race ain't going to be that close mate. You obviously don't understand pitching my Cardinal friend. :)

DocRed
08-24-2012, 06:35 PM
yes......

Jefferson24
08-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Our pitching is MILES better than yours

There are some signs that our pitching is fading. I would agree that up to this point ours has been better, I'm not very convinced that from this point forward I would still consider ours better.

HometownHero
08-25-2012, 02:28 AM
I don't we have better pitching than the Cardinals, we are narrowly ahead of them in team ERA and that's will all the scrubs they had to cycle in and with Wainwright working his way back from TJ.

Wainwright has a 3.65 overall but is at 2.87 over his last 18 after a sucking for a 6.16 his first 7 starts finding his stuff from a year off. They also dumped all the scrubs they have cycled in due to injury along with poor signings. They have 8 guys with 5+ ERA's removed from their roster with their current unit having a awesome staff ERA.

smixsell
08-25-2012, 12:33 PM
I don't we have better pitching than the Cardinals, we are narrowly ahead of them in team ERA and that's will all the scrubs they had to cycle in and with Wainwright working his way back from TJ.

Wainwright has a 3.65 overall but is at 2.87 over his last 18 after a sucking for a 6.16 his first 7 starts finding his stuff from a year off. They also dumped all the scrubs they have cycled in due to injury along with poor signings. They have 8 guys with 5+ ERA's removed from their roster with their current unit having a awesome staff ERA.

We'll see.

PS We're ahead of them in ERA AND play in GABP.

WDE
08-25-2012, 01:46 PM
We are a better team than the Cardinals, and it shows in the standings. Cards will probably get a Wild Card. If they do, good for them. But I don't think they will beat us in the Central.

HometownHero
08-25-2012, 03:49 PM
We'll see.

PS We're ahead of them in ERA AND play in GABP.

A main factor in our ERA is stability in pitching, if we had to cycle in as many bad BP arms as they have we would see a far worse ERA.

ERA
3.47 Reds
3.65 Cardinals

SP ERA
3.49 Cardinals
3.77 Reds

BP ERA
2.78 Reds
4.00 Cardinals

We have used 9 BP arms all year and they have used 17, they have used more BP guys than we used total pitchers. Their current BP doesn't come close to a bad BP. Their two worst ERA's in the current BP have been lights out the last two months with 2.13 and 1.66 ERA since start of June.

faffy42
08-25-2012, 07:23 PM
No...not at all. Not concerned about the cardinals. The most important one for the reds will be the world series : )

smixsell
08-25-2012, 08:28 PM
A main factor in our ERA is stability in pitching, if we had to cycle in as many bad BP arms as they have we would see a far worse ERA.

ERA
3.47 Reds
3.65 Cardinals

SP ERA
3.49 Cardinals
3.77 Reds

BP ERA
2.78 Reds
4.00 Cardinals

We have used 9 BP arms all year and they have used 17, they have used more BP guys than we used total pitchers. Their current BP doesn't come close to a bad BP. Their two worst ERA's in the current BP have been lights out the last two months with 2.13 and 1.66 ERA since start of June.

And your point is?

................Like I said, our pitching is miles better than the cardinals.

HometownHero
08-25-2012, 10:43 PM
And your point is?

................Like I said, our pitching is miles better than the cardinals.

They have better pitching with the only difference is we have a better last guy in the pen and that's why our ERA is slightly better. We sure as hell aren't miles better.

They have cycled in 9 guys into that role and it has skewed their ERA greatly, if McClellan would have came in 100% and locked that role up like he was before they tried to make him a starter they would be well in front of us.

Dickson 10.80 in 3.1
Romero 10.13 in 8
Fuentes 9.00 in 5
Cleto 7.00 in 9
Sanchez 6.60 in 15
Freeman 6.00 in 12
Fick 5.40 in 1.2
McClellan 5.30 in 18.2
Browning 5.12 in 19.1

If we had a unstable roster as well our ERA would be higher too. We used 9 BP guys total they have 9 guys over 5 ERA and could be inline for another if they make a roster move to replace Dickson after today.

OldCat
08-25-2012, 10:47 PM
If you dropped out our bad pitchers our ERA would improve too.

HometownHero
08-25-2012, 10:59 PM
If you dropped out our bad pitchers our ERA would improve too.

Microscopically since Broxton is our worst guy. The difference in our ERA's is the Reds defense and their injury issues. If we had to cycle in 17 guys out of the pen rather than 9 we would have a higher ERA. With Lynn moving to the pen it will be 18 and if they add someone new for Dickson they could have 19 different guys work out of their pen this year.

The Cardinals have a better FIP and xFIP and that's even with all those scrubs they used. Wainwright not having his stuff to start the year and the game Garcia got bombed in when he got hurt and a few more BP injuries. While we have had no injury issues at all.

OldCat
08-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Microscopically since Broxton is our worst guy. The difference in our ERA's is the Reds defense and their injury issues. If we had to cycle in 17 guys out of the pen rather than 9 we would have a higher ERA. With Lynn moving to the pen it will be 18 and if they add someone new for Dickson they could have 19 different guys work out of their pen this year.

The Cardinals have a better FIP and xFIP and that's even with all those scrubs they used. Wainwright not having his stuff to start the year and the game Garcia got bombed in when he got hurt and a few more BP injuries. While we have had no injury issues at all.

So leaving out the scrubs and the days when they played poorly, they are better than us when you do none of those adjustments.

I'm convinced.

HometownHero
08-25-2012, 11:13 PM
So leaving out the scrubs and the days when they played poorly, they are better than us when you do none of those adjustments.

I'm convinced.

The Scrubs aren't going to pitch in the playoffs. We are only slightly better because of crazy good health that no other team in the majors can come close to matching.

In a 5 game playoff series I would much rather have what they can bring to the table than what we will roll with. Despite all the heath issues, going double deep on the depth charts and much worse defense we have a slight lead and a worse xFIP.

We have Cueto's 2.47 and Chapman's 1.31 and a bunch of guys who could blow up at any moment.

OldCat
08-25-2012, 11:16 PM
The Scrubs aren't going to pitch in the playoffs. We are only slightly better because of crazy good health that no other team in the majors can come close to matching.

In a 5 game playoff series I would much rather have what they can bring to the table than what we will roll with. Despite all the heath issues, going double deep on the depth charts and much worse defense we have a slight lead and a worse xFIP.

We have Cueto's 2.47 and Chapman's 1.31 and a bunch of guys who could blow up at any moment.

And they Cards can't, despite being less healthy and already blowing up for part of this year?

WDE
08-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Why are our main worries on the Cards in the playoffs? IF they get there, and that is if, they will have to have a 1 game playoff against a tough Braves team that has played them well this year. And if they win that, I assume they would play the Nats, who I am more concerned with. I don't think they would beat the Nats in a 5 game series.

HometownHero
08-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Without Strasburg I think the Cardinals would beat the Nats in a 5 game series. Also without him its Gio and guys pitching well past career highs in innings. Plus the Cardinals have the leagues best offense on top strong SP themselves.

In the playoffs their manager isn't going to be resting guys and using the 24th and 25th man in key spots like he did today.

smixsell
08-26-2012, 11:00 PM

I'm convinced.

Spot on mate. And don't forget to leave out Tuesdays and Thursdays. :-)

smixsell
08-26-2012, 11:04 PM
And they Cards can't, despite being less healthy and already blowing up for part of this year?

Also spot on. Thank you for saving me the trouble of refuting a fool. Its a tedious task i havent the patience for any longer. :-)

smixsell
08-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Guess it wasn't so big after all. :)

Magdal
09-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Guess it wasn't so big after all. :) I don't know...if there HAD been a sweep for either team it would have been huge. But lately the Cards can't even score a run, much less win a ball game! What a @#%*#@#! COLLAPSE!

It's hard to fathom. 6 starters batting .300....the RBI and HR leaders...4 SP with 13 or more wins.....Boggs and Mott lights out for months! And we are 9 games back!!??

And to whomever said that the Cards could beat the Nats: I don't think so! BTW....I don't believe for a second that Strausberg will be shut down, especially if he does OK on Sunday. He will be rested, but will return. The
LCS between the Reds and Nats should be a dogfight to the end.

The Cards don't belong in the post season. Did not belong there last year. Matheny is so god awful!

Good luck guys.;)

WDE
09-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Ya guys, STL would definitely beat Washington in a 5 game series. :laugh:

arkimadee
09-01-2012, 12:07 PM
how come everytime the Cards beat us in a August series they start tanking. Same thing happened in 2010

smixsell
09-01-2012, 01:25 PM
I don't know...if there HAD been a sweep for either team it would have been huge. But lately the Cards can't even score a run, much less win a ball game! What a @#%*#@#! COLLAPSE!

It's hard to fathom. 6 starters batting .300....the RBI and HR leaders...4 SP with 13 or more wins.....Boggs and Mott lights out for months! And we are 9 games back!!??

And to whomever said that the Cards could beat the Nats: I don't think so! BTW....I don't believe for a second that Strausberg will be shut down, especially if he does OK on Sunday. He will be rested, but will return. The
LCS between the Reds and Nats should be a dogfight to the end.

The Cards don't belong in the post season. Did not belong there last year. Matheny is so god awful!

Good luck guys.;)

Like I've been trying to tell you overly optamistic Cards fans, numbers don't always tell the story. Neither the Card's offense nor it's pitchng staff are as good as the numbers (especially the manipulated numbers!) suggest. The Cards position in the standings shows that.

Also, welcome to the real world. You've had the luxury of an uber smart manager for a long time. Welcome to the world of your tyoical MLB manager. All too often, he is someone to whom logic is a foreign, or at least very difficult, concept.

BurgervilleBuck
09-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the world of your tyoical MLB manager. All too often, he is someone to whom logic is a foreign, or at least very difficult, concept.

And you need no further proof than Stubbs and Cozart batting 1 and 2 in the batting order, while Hannigan bats before the pitcher because... hey, catchers bat eighth.

Just saying...

smixsell
09-13-2012, 04:53 PM

Even if the Cards sweep, which I'll wager they WON'T, it's still not going to be a VERY TOUGH race to the finish.

Our pitching is MILES better than yours, and this race ain't going to be that close mate. You obviously don't understand pitching my Cardinal friend. :)

Vindicated. :o)