PDA

View Full Version : Surprising moments

cincrazy
08-25-2012, 12:28 AM
I think most of us are expecting Leake to struggle tomorrow. With his performance against the Phillies, coupled with the Cardinals offense and GABP, most of us are probably pretty scared, and expecting the worst.

Hopefully, Leake pleasantly surprises us. Which got me to thinking... what moment (or moments), stand out in your lifetime as a Reds fan, or even as a baseball fan, where you were most caught off-guard? And I mean this in a positive way. When has this team, or individual players, most exceeded your expectations? Any player that you written off that performed well beyond your expecations?

Here are some of mine:

Cueto's development into an ace has really surprised me. I always thought he'd be good, but never thought he'd reach this level.

The 2010 team and the way they responded to getting swept by the Cards in August after the brawl really surprised me. I was ready to give up on the season, and that team shut me up.

I thought Adam Dunn was beyond done as a baseball player. Whoops.

MikeThierry
08-25-2012, 12:38 AM
Allen Craig from my end. Never thought he would turn out into the offensive force he's become.

Fernando Tatis 2 grand slam inning was a nice surprise.

Johnny Footstool
08-25-2012, 03:13 AM
The resurgence of Eric Davis two times: in 1996 as a Red, and again in 1998 after defeating cancer.

mth123
08-25-2012, 05:44 AM
Scott Rolen, I thought he was toast in August of 2010.

Todd Frazier, I never expected much above a .750 OPS.

Ryan Hanigan, his minor league career never hinted that he would be one of the best catchers in the NL. IMO, he's every bit as good as Molina defensively and he gets his hits and gets on base very well. He's the best catcher this team has had since Johnny Bench moved out from behind the plate. I had him pegged as an OK defensive guy who'd get "a cup of coffee" in the big leagues and disappear.

vaticanplum
08-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Eddie Guardado was an over-the-hill flash in the pan for a subpar tease of a team, but man, he was fun to watch for a while.

traderumor
08-25-2012, 08:39 PM
That the Reds could go 27-13 in a quarter of the season without Votto.

Finding out that Chris Heisey is not a very good player.