PDA

View Full Version : Votto = Batting Champion?

oneupper
08-26-2012, 08:37 AM
With McCutchen cooling off and Cabrera suspended, Joey has a shot at the batting title if he can get off the DL soon. At .342 he'd be a close third and would have to raise his average since Cabrera will end at .3456.

He currently has 370 PAs, needing 502 to qualify. If he starts playing again this week, he could get into up to 33 games, but let's say 30 to be safe.
He would need 4.4 PA/game to make it.

Feasible? I know that the batting title isn't what it used to be, but it would be nice for Joey to win it and I'm sure MLB would prefer that he or McCutchen win it over Cabrera.

membengal
08-26-2012, 08:57 AM
I think he won't garner enough plate appearances. 4.4 a game from here on out with him needing off days to rest seems like a bridge too far...

oneupper
08-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Well he has 370 in 86 games, which makes for 4.3/gm (including one or two PH appearances, not sure). He'd have to come back this week, for sure.

RedsManRick
08-26-2012, 04:24 PM
If you don't get enough PA, you can still win the title. You just give the guy 0-fers up to the qualification figure. Melky could still very well win it.

LoganBuck
08-26-2012, 07:51 PM
I think the commissioner, should make sure his stats are frozen. You don't get fake at bats to qualify when you are suspended. It isnt fair to the "clean" players.

redsfandan
08-27-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm sure MLB would prefer that he or McCutchen win it over Cabrera.

It might not be Votto but I think he's got a better shot than Melky considering how 'the powers in charge' might feel about it.

kaldaniels
08-27-2012, 10:57 AM
I think the commissioner, should make sure his stats are frozen. You don't get fake at bats to qualify when you are suspended. It isnt fair to the "clean" players.

The argument should then be whether his season should either count or not. Everyone has access to the "fake" AB's, so no sense complaining that he gets them when your real issue probably is simply the fact that his stats count at all.

MikeThierry
08-27-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm sure Votto will be good when he comes back but do you all see him being as good as he was in the beginning of the year? I think he's going to take time to get back to where he was early in this season, esp. when the injury is a lower body injury.

WildcatFan
08-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm sure Votto will be good when he comes back but do you all see him being as good as he was in the beginning of the year? I think he's going to take time to get back to where he was early in this season, esp. when the injury is a lower body injury.

I think it'll take him 7-8 games to get locked in, but as careful as they've been getting him ready to play on what is traditionally a relatively minor injury, I can't imagine he'll be hampered by that knee at all. It's a matter of how long it takes him to start picking up the ball like we know he can.

Tom Servo
08-27-2012, 12:09 PM
The thing about Joey is that his slumps are usually very short. He may strike out a few times over the course of a few games, but even then he's still taking a lot of walks. And before long he's locked in again hitting singles and doubles.

Vottomatic
08-28-2012, 10:11 AM
With the team doing so well without Joey, maybe we should trade him this offseason while his value is still high. ;)

Just kidding.