PDA

View Full Version : Monday 8-27-12 Minor-League Updates

mace
08-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Should have called this the Billy Hamilton update. Wasn't going to do a games thread tonight, since folks seem to be losing interest, but Billy made me.

In the third, he stole second and third and came home on a single by Fellhauer. Pensacola scored twice that inning to give Mark Serrano a 2-0 lead. But Mississippi tied it in the sixth, and it stayed that way until the 10th, when Hamilton singled again, stole second again, stole third again, and scored the winning run on a sacrifice fly. The guy just continues to change games. He now has 50 stolen bases in Pensacola, a staggering 154 on the season.

The Wahoos got excellent relief from Drew Hayes, Wilkin De La Rosa, Curtis Partch and Chris Manno.

eljaymora
08-28-2012, 02:54 AM
I would say besides the bullpen, Serrano had a very decent outing, at one time sitting down 9 in a row....

mth123
08-28-2012, 03:04 AM
Bakersfield won 7-6. Renken got rocked, but the bullpen of Chris Joyce, Andrew Brackman and Carlos Contreras combined for 5 and a third shutout innings.

Steve Selsky went 2 for 4 with a walk, an SB and a couple RBI. He's had a big year at Bakersfield but was fairly pedestrian at Dayton. He's on the map, but I wonder if he's a Cal League creation.

Louisville was off today.

Dayton lost 5-3. Y-Rod went 2 for 4 with a double.

OGB
08-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Can anyone explain to me what the point is of having Brackman in the organization at this point if he's pitching in high A?

camisadelgolf
08-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Can anyone explain to me what the point is of having Brackman in the organization at this point if he's pitching in high A?
They've already invested a decent chunk of change (and time) in him by signing him to a major league contract, so they want to get as much use out of him as they can before he becomes a free agent this off-season. As you may know, the Reds are reluctant to send their best pitching prospects to the California League because it's such a hitters paradise. In fact, other than Brackman, the only Bakersfield pitcher drafted within the first 8 rounds is Kyle McMyne (4th). That's pretty crazy when you consider that since 2009, more than half their picks in the 1st 10 rounds have been pitchers.

In other words, when it comes to Bakersfield, the Reds try to send the worst pitching prospects possible while still giving the team a chance to win. Brackman has actually had decent results as a reliever over there, but it's nothing to get excited about. It just seems like the best fit for everybody right now. And on the off chance he becomes a legitimate prospect this year, it'd be downright embarrassing if he did it for another organization.

Sea Ray
08-28-2012, 10:28 AM

I take it Votto didn't play? When does he start his rehab?

dougdirt
08-28-2012, 10:31 AM
I take it Votto didn't play? When does he start his rehab?

Tonight is his first scheduled rehab game.

mace
08-28-2012, 11:59 AM
I would say besides the bullpen, Serrano had a very decent outing, at one time sitting down 9 in a row....

Didn't mean to neglect him. Yes he did. He held them scoreless through the first five. He's actually had a very nice season, mixing starting and (mostly) relief.

mace
08-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Tonight is his first scheduled rehab game.

I don't know . . . Nick O'Shea had two hits last night. Votto may have a tough time breaking into the lineup.

Edd Roush
08-28-2012, 12:46 PM

After a terrible 94 PAs in Bakersfield for Yorman, he is really starting to show improvement in his 2012 stint in Dayton compared to his 2011 stint in Dayton.

In 2011, Yorman went .254/.318/.393 with a .337 BABIP
In 2012, Yorman is going .275/.313/.429 with a .337 BABIP

The walk rate drop is discouraging, but he is making more contact and is more solid with it as well in 2012. I hope he can keep on hitting for the rest of this year and build on it in 2013.

RED VAN HOT
08-28-2012, 07:48 PM
I noticed that Josh Fellhauer is currently leading the Southern League in BA at .317. Qualifications are listed as 2.7 PA's for each game played by his team. On that basis he would qualify for the batting title even if he does not have another plate appearance. Is the qualifying number 2.7 or is it 3.1 like the major leagues? I can see the rationale for a lower number in the minor leagues as PA's tend to be more spread among the players and good players are not as likely to remain within the league for the entire season.