PDA

View Full Version : ESPN pays 5.6 billion to keep baseball

Krawhitham
08-28-2012, 02:04 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/28/espn-signs-an-eight-year-5-6-billion-deal-to-keep-baseball/related/

ESPN signs an eight-year, $5.6 billion deal to keep baseball

That includes digital, radio and, for the first time, the playoffs: one wild card game. Otherwise the deal is basically the same: Sunday Night Baseball and Monday and Wednesday night games.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/28/espn-signs-an-eight-year-5-6-billion-deal-to-keep-baseball/related/

arkimadee
08-28-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm shocked they paid that much for the baseball package for as little coverage as they give major league baseball on sportscenter compared to the NFL. It will be interesting to see what the other networks are going to pay. I was hoping to see someone other than FOX get it but it looks like its going to stay with them. There is talk of NBC getting in on the fun. I love Bob Costas as a baseball host. I predict TBS will keep the playoffs as well.

MrRedLegger
08-28-2012, 03:58 PM
I like the deal, very surprised it cost this much. I like how Fox and ESPN cover baseball, and personally I think CBS does a better job at football anyway. Agree with the Bob Costas comment I like his angles on baseball.

Spider Tre
08-28-2012, 04:08 PM
woo, more Yankees vs Red Sox every Sunday night

Trajinous
08-28-2012, 04:14 PM
The deal also says ESPN will broadcast a game with every team at least once, which is a step in the right direction.

huber14
08-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Would have liked to see the NBC sports network step in and outbid them. The only reason they keep baseball around is to keep their sports monopoly.

Eric from NC
08-28-2012, 05:01 PM
I was surprised that ESPN paid this much given their on air talent's claim that baseball is dying sport but nba and soccer are the dynamic future. I assume that means the NBA ratings are softer than admitted when you take away games with Heat, Lakers, Celtics.

Trajinous
08-28-2012, 05:11 PM
I was surprised that ESPN paid this much given their on air talent's claim that baseball is dying sport but nba and soccer are the dynamic future. I assume that means the NBA ratings are softer than admitted when you take away games with Heat, Lakers, Celtics.

Which is ridiculous since MLB is posting record attendance and viewership. I think the executives sees baseball's growth while the talking heads may not care.

5TimeWSChamps
08-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Extra $13 mil per team per year.

Guessing the powers that be knew this when they signed Votto.

Include that with the pending new TV deal, and it was smart business

jwmann2
08-29-2012, 04:35 AM
I'm shocked they paid that much for the baseball package for as little coverage as they give major league baseball on sportscenter compared to the NFL. It will be interesting to see what the other networks are going to pay. I was hoping to see someone other than FOX get it but it looks like its going to stay with them. There is talk of NBC getting in on the fun. I love Bob Costas as a baseball host. I predict TBS will keep the playoffs as well.

Yeah right, Baseball Tonight runs like three times daily aside from the games. It gets plenty of coverage. I don't care who broadcasts the games because I'm watching Fox Sports Ohio every night. : )