Cincinnati
San Francisco

Wild Card
Atlanta
St. Louis

Within 5 games of Wild Card
Pittsburgh
Los Angeles

With the addition of the second Wild Card there are seven NL teams that either are in a playoff spot or within 5 games of a Wild Card spot. If there was just one Wild Card it would not change anything. The same number of teams would either be in a playoff spot or within 5 games of one.

How does that compare to 2011?

Using the same date, in 2011, there were only four teams that met that criteria, using the rules applicable in 2011 of only one wild card.

Division Leaders
Philadelphia
Milwaukee
Arizona

Wild Card
Atlanta

Within 5 games of Wild Card
None

However, if two Wild Cards had been in play last year there would have been three additional teams, theoretically, in the hunt. One might surprise you.

The second Wild Card at this same point in the season would have been the San Francisco Giants. And the two teams within five games of those Giants would have been the St. Louis Cardinals and the Cincinnati Reds.

Yep, if there were two wild cards in 2011, the Reds would still have been in somewhat serious contention at this time instead of simply playing out the string.

OGB
08-29-2012, 11:13 AM
I'll admit, that surprised the hell out of me. Makes you think that this was a great addition to the game. I would have to think the Reds would have had significantly higher attendance at this point last year if they were considered to have a realistic shot at a playoff spot.