PDA

View Full Version : Baseball wisdom

texasdave
08-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Sparky Anderson once said "any team, no matter how good it is, will lose one third of its games. Any team, no matter how bad it is, will win one third of their games. It's what you do in the other third that counts" ...

Sparky Anderson must have never seen a team like the 2012 Houston Astros.
In their last 54 games the Astros are 8-46. That is a .148 winning percentage. If you have ever wondered how a minor league team would do against major league teams on an extended scale, there you go. They are 1-10 in their last 11 games. During that period they have scored 22 runs. 2.0 rpg. The Reds get them 6 times in the next 10 games. Cincinnati should win 5. Minimum. Normally having a team playing like the Astros would worry me. The Astros don't. Houston is not due. They are the worst team, by far, that I have ever seen at the major league level. I live in Houston. I get to see all of the lowlights on the news. There are no highlights. Trust me.

jback76
08-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Sparky Anderson must have never seen a team like the 2012 Houston Astros.
In their last 54 games the Astros are 8-46. That is a .148 winning percentage. If you have ever wondered how a minor league team would do against major league teams on an extended scale, there you go. They are 1-10 in their last 11 games. During that period they have scored 22 runs. 2.0 rpg. The Reds get them 6 times in the next 10 games. Cincinnati should win 5. Minimum. Normally having a team playing like the Astros would worry me. The Astros don't. Houston is not due. They are the worst team, by far, that I have ever seen at the major league level. I live in Houston. I get to see all of the lowlights on the news. There are no highlights. Trust me.

They did manage to play the Reds tough not to long ago, and almost won 2 of those games. I don't like to talk bad about a team in an upcoming series, it has a way of coming back and biting you. With that said anything less than winning 5 of our 6 left with Houston will be a disappointment.

Biff Pocoroba
08-29-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm viewing this next series as Votto's extended minor league rehab assignment.

BungleBengals
08-30-2012, 02:28 PM
The fact that they are scouting/considering a 50 year old Roger Clemens for a SP, should be an indication of their season. I know he is one of the best pitchers of all time and he did well with Sugar Land, but he only went 3 and 1/3 in an independent league and I heard he only topped off around 87 or 88.

Tuff Nut
08-30-2012, 10:25 PM
I wish I could be as optimistic as Dave, and yes the Reds should win atleast 5-6 , if not all 6. But this team always seem to play to the level of compititon. IF not for CocoOno, the AA-stros likely win 2-3, the last time Cincy was in Houston. It always seems these types of series, do not go in favor of the Reds.

webbbj
08-31-2012, 12:37 PM
I wish I could be as optimistic as Dave, and yes the Reds should win atleast 5-6 , if not all 6. But this team always seem to play to the level of compititon. IF not for CocoOno, the AA-stros likely win 2-3, the last time Cincy was in Houston. It always seems these types of series, do not go in favor of the Reds.

the reds have had the best record in baseball post allstar break mostly against sub .500 teams w/o Votto.

The astros are 7-38 post all star break. for a whopping 15% Winning%. The reds will win all 6.

texasdave
08-31-2012, 12:56 PM
I guess you should never say never but the Astros are now 8-48 in their last 56 games. That works out to a .143 winning percentage. Such a winning percentage would net them 23 wins in a 162-game season. 23-139. I once read that a replacement team would win something along the lines of 53 games. I honestly don't believe their minor league system has much coming along either. It is going to be a rough 2 or 3 years for this franchise.

jback76
08-31-2012, 03:03 PM
I guess you should never say never but the Astros are now 8-48 in their last 56 games. That works out to a .143 winning percentage. Such a winning percentage would net them 23 wins in a 162-game season. 23-139. I once read that a replacement team would win something along the lines of 53 games. I honestly don't believe their minor league system has much coming along either. It is going to be a rough 2 or 3 years for this franchise.

Wow, that is just bad! With that said, they'll probably take at least 1 from the Reds this weekend. They're due.