PDA

View Full Version : Done By Labor Day?

RedsBrick
08-30-2012, 12:30 PM
With a losing record on the road AND playing at the home of the Nats, the Cards have a tough task ahead this weekend. Couple that with the Reds taking on Houston, this lead could reach double digits by Labor Day.

I've seen crazier things happen but a double digit lead would be tough to beat with a month to go.

scott91575
08-30-2012, 12:41 PM
If it's double digits on September 1st and the Reds lose the division, it would be the first time a team had a 10 game lead in September and blew the lead (Red Sox had a 9 game lead for the WC last year on September 1st and is the largest lead ever blown in September).

texasdave
08-30-2012, 01:05 PM
There is absolutely no way that the Reds do not win this division. The pitching has been too good for too long. The bats are competent. Joey Votto is coming back. It simply will not happen.

MrRedLegger
08-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I know we've gotten used to the team we have now, but in a few days we will have the best player in baseball joining joining the team.

A baseballl season can be dissected into many more parts, but primarily I see it in 3 sections: April, May-August, and September. In April the team is getting a feel, pardons are passed out like cracker jacks as teams and players find their groove. May-August come the hot days and warm nights where a beer, hot dog, and ball game are just plain fun to enjoy. The team has settled in and is ready for the long haul. In September comes crunch time, when the pennant races tighten up and things get very interesting. Teams are wary of the opposition, and our emotions come out and are put on the line. It is the biggest make-or-break month of the season.

With Dusty's September resume and Joey Votto coming back within days, this might be one of the best Septembers this club has ever seen. This seasons most exciting days are yet to come.

dubc47834
08-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I know we've gotten used to the team we have now, but in a few days we will have the best player in baseball joining joining the team.

A baseballl season can be dissected into many more parts, but primarily I see it in 3 sections: April, May-August, and September. In April the team is getting a feel, pardons are passed out like cracker jacks as teams and players find their groove. May-August come the hot days and warm nights where a beer, hot dog, and ball game are just plain fun to enjoy. The team has settled in and is ready for the long haul. In September comes crunch time, when the pennant races tighten up and things get very interesting. Teams are wary of the opposition, and our emotions come out and are put on the line. It is the biggest make-or-break month of the season.

With Dusty's September resume and Joey Votto coming back within days, this might be one of the best Septembers this club has ever seen. This seasons most exciting days are yet to come.

I love the optimism....also that was a pretty good breakdown of the season. I think you could probly lump May in with April, but whatever. I wish a few others shared this optimism!!!

Captain13
08-30-2012, 02:13 PM
There are a lot of us with the optimism, it's just that the whiners/complainers are louder.

dubc47834
08-30-2012, 02:17 PM
There are a lot of us with the optimism, it's just that the whiners/complainers are louder.

Yeah...that's probly true.

texasdave
08-30-2012, 02:18 PM
And most of the people who claim to be optimistic whine and complain so much it is often hard to tell.

jback76
08-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I think there is no way we don't win the division. And I think the Cards and Pirates know they're playing for a wild card birth now.

jfleur87
08-30-2012, 02:30 PM

This

(BTW, always wanted to post "This" - perfect opportunity)

RedsBrick
08-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I think there is no way we don't win the division. And I think the Cards and Pirates know they're playing for a wild card birth now.

I think you're right, particularly after the Cards got blanked in back-to-back nights.

JKam
08-30-2012, 02:48 PM
If the Reds play .500 baseball the rest of the way, the Cards have to go something like 25-7, thats .781, to tie them at the end of the season.

Ironman92
08-30-2012, 09:39 PM
We
Got
This

EDDTYWROL

Z-Fly
08-30-2012, 10:10 PM
When they clinch, can we bring back the Chapmen roll?

WDE
08-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Ah, it's so refreshing to think we could have a very stress-free September.

DocRed
08-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Our playoff chances are already 99.5%. I'm pretty good with those numbers...

The Rage
08-31-2012, 12:13 AM
The bad thing about the schedule is, 2/3 series against the Astros, Bailey gets the Astros.......twice. Think about it. He throws 2 gems against them, the Reds think he is "back", put him as 4th starter in the playoffs. Bailey pitches game 4 of the NLCS and gets rocked.

jback76
08-31-2012, 08:44 AM
The bad thing about the schedule is, 2/3 series against the Astros, Bailey gets the Astros.......twice. Think about it. He throws 2 gems against them, the Reds think he is "back", put him as 4th starter in the playoffs. Bailey pitches game 4 of the NLCS and gets rocked.

So you're saying you don't want him to throw 2 gems. Or is this another push for them to put Bailey in the bullpen.;)

MrRedLegger
08-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Not counting quality starts (in my opinion 3 runs in 6 innings is average, meaning 4.0 ERA) Bailey's "gems":

4/20 @ CHC, 7 IP, 1 ER
5/29 @ PIT, 9 IP, 1 ER
6/16 @ NYM, 8 IP, 1 ER
7/2 @ LAD, 8 IP, 2 ER
7/15 vs STL, 8 IP, 1 ER
7/20 vs MIL, 8 IP, 1 ER
7/25 @ HOU, 7 IP, 0 ER

I didn't define what counts as a "gem" because it's subjective. Games just under the imaginary "cut-off" I used:

4/26 vs SFG, 6.1 IP, 2 ER
5/24 vs ATL, 6 IP, 2 ER
7/7 @ SDP, 6.2 IP, 2 ER
8/21 @ PHI, 6.1, 2 ER

He's started 26 games. Obviously he does better on the road. He's pitched very well against the good and the bad teams. Letting him start an NLCS game 4 is iffy, but I'd say it's 50:50 that he'll be brilliant, even better chance if it's on the road.

Bob Sheed
08-31-2012, 10:22 AM
This

(BTW, always wanted to post "This" - perfect opportunity)

This.

:D

OGB
08-31-2012, 01:24 PM
I already thouught this weekend might be the proverbial nail in the Cardinals coffin because I figured they'd be hard pressed to get a split. I was anticipating them winning yesterday. Now, to earn even a split, they need to take two of three on the road against Gio, Zimmerman, and Strasburg. Ouch.

smixsell
08-31-2012, 03:48 PM

Give me a break. You're too much.

jback76
09-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Yeah I still think it's over, but it still sucks losing to the Astros (the 50+ games under .500 Astros). I don't know that I'd tolerate losing 2 in a row to them.

DocRed
09-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Our playoff chances are already 99.5%. I'm pretty good with those numbers...

99.9% now...yes please.

HometownHero
09-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Its at the point now if we blew it would be the most historic collapse ever.