PDA

View Full Version : Votto playing in Dayton again Friday ?

Trademark
08-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Joe Danneman @FOX19Joe
Colleague in Dayton told me Joey Votto left gear in Dayton and will likely play there again Friday.

Maker_84
08-30-2012, 02:21 PM
From what ive heard on ORG Votto is still limping and isnt close to being ready to make a big impact. If thats the case then keep him in the Minor Leagues until obviously the first then rest him and have him pinch hit every now and then

Who Dey Time
08-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Joe Danneman @FOX19Joe
Colleague in Dayton told me Joey Votto left gear in Dayton and will likely play there again Friday.

Your playing the Astros this weekend. IMO, Votto can spend the weekend in Dayton and rejoin the Reds on the homestand if he is physically able.

malcontent
08-30-2012, 02:27 PM
From what ive heard on ORG Votto is still limping and isnt close to being ready to make a big impact. If thats the case then keep him in the Minor Leagues until obviously the first then rest him and have him pinch hit every now and then
Maybe someone can explain to me why Votto is even playing when he's still hobbling around and his knee is still swelling up?

This whole thing is getting increasingly absurd, going back to having him do "sliding drills" three weeks post-surgery.

At least they cut those out after the last "minor" operation.

He's the $251 million dollar man, and a year into the deal this team seems intent on making his knee problem a chronic thing.

:confused:

R_Webb18
08-30-2012, 02:36 PM
the reason he's playing is b/c there's prob going be pain for some time. they want him back. he won't be 100% until next year my guess

jback76
08-30-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm sure the knee is going to be sore for awhile, I have no problem with him playing through the pain and swelling, if there is no chance of him reinjuring it.

malcontent
08-30-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm sure the knee is going to be sore for awhile, I have no problem with him playing through the pain and swelling, if there is no chance of him reinjuring it.
But he's already reinjured it once, trying to do too much, too soon.

dubc47834
08-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Here come the house doctors....if the "real" doctors say he is fine then let him play. I really doubt the Reds would let him play if the odds of him getting re-injured were to high, even if it meant we had to go into the playoffs with what we have right now.
Someone must have went on WEBMD!!!

BungleBengals
08-30-2012, 03:06 PM
While I do think it is dumb to play a guy that is not yet a 100%, this is the last chance for him to test it in real game time. The Dragons only have 2 games left at home before the season ends and the rosters expand and I would rather him test his knee out there than up in the majors where it could cost us a win if he injures it mid game.

jback76
08-30-2012, 03:12 PM
It just seems like they're babying the knee to much to me. He didn't have knee replacement surgery. It's going to be sore for a while play through it. My right knee has been bothering me for about 20 years now.

standerson
08-30-2012, 04:02 PM
We attended the Dragons game Wednesday night. Votto didn't look ready to be activated.

jback76
08-30-2012, 04:08 PM
We attended the Dragons game Wednesday night. Votto didn't look ready to be activated.
Did he look like it was really hurting him? Or did it look like he was just afraid to go all out on the knee?

standerson
08-30-2012, 06:08 PM
I read a local interview where he said the knee was still hurting or bothering him.

Last night he wasn't going all out. He was on first and the batter into a double play. He jogged towards 2nd and just peeled off torwards the outfield about 1/2 way down.

I didn't notice him limping but he continually tugged at, what I assume, was a brace on his knee.

texasdave
08-30-2012, 06:19 PM
So much for a simple 20-30 minute procedure and he'll be back in 3 or 4 weeks. No need to rush him with such a commanding lead.

R_Webb18
08-30-2012, 06:24 PM
So much for a simple 20-30 minute procedure and he'll be back in 3 or 4 weeks. No need to rush him with such a commanding lead.

its not rushing him back. theres like 30 games left + playoffs. there not just going to throw him out there game 1 of the playoffs. they will take it slow

OGB
08-30-2012, 07:10 PM

No he didn't. They left a tiny piece of cartilage floating around in his knee after the first surgery. When he started doing physical activity again, it bothered him, he got an MRI, and they identified the problem.
I do agree though, that it was probably silly to think Votto could play a few innings in two minor league games and be in playing shape. More likely he'll be ready after seven to ten games. The problem with that is, there are only so many minor league games left.

texasdave
08-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Votto is not in the lineup for Dayton tonight. FWIW.

MrRedLegger
08-30-2012, 10:20 PM
You are in our prayers Joey.

Krawhitham
08-31-2012, 02:05 PM
https://twitter.com/johnfayman/status/241581701019619328

Votto is playing in Dayton tonight. I'd expect him to join the #Reds Monday when they open series with Philly at home.

https://twitter.com/johnfayman/status/241581701019619328

smixsell
08-31-2012, 04:51 PM
This whole thing is getting increasingly absurd, going back to having him do "sliding drills" three weeks post-surgery.

At least they cut those out after the last "minor" operation.

:confused:

Spot on. That was classic "Dusty Logic." :eek:

smixsell
08-31-2012, 04:53 PM
No he didn't. They left a tiny piece of cartilage floating around in his knee after the first surgery. When he started doing physical activity again, it bothered him, he got an MRI, and they identified the problem.
I do agree though, that it was probably silly to think Votto could play a few innings in two minor league games and be in playing shape. More likely he'll be ready after seven to ten games. The problem with that is, there are only so many minor league games left.

IIRC, the final (and "clarified by the club") press report was that he re-injured it.

Krawhitham
09-01-2012, 03:32 AM
pulled in the 7th inning for a pinch runner

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t459&t=g_box&gid=2012_08_31_swmafx_dayafx_1

Z-Fly
09-01-2012, 06:59 AM
It doesn't seems like he is anywhere near ready to come back. When do you start to think about shutting him down for the year? At this point, I think he would be hurting the team.

jback76
09-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Boy I sure hope he's back up close to 100% come playoff time. We've been fine without him. But I do not want to go into the playoffs without Votto being healthy!

jwmann2
09-01-2012, 07:13 PM
They're obviously not too comfortable with sending him to Louisville. I think the whole thing with Dayton is the proximity to Cincinnati. No need to go to Chattanooga where he could see better pitching and a higher speed of play.

Stray
09-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Dusty said Votto is not going to be playing today, we won't know if he's ready to rejoin the Reds until we get back to Cincinnati.

R_Webb18
09-02-2012, 02:05 PM
he will join the reds tomorrow is my guess. i don't know if he will be activated or not but id say when he's ready he will already be with the team.

Helms1
09-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Boy I sure hope he's back up close to 100% come playoff time. We've been fine without him. But I do not want to go into the playoffs without Votto being healthy!

If he is not then someone needs to call Paul Harvey.

Stray
09-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Reds ‏@Reds
1B Joey Votto will make another rehab appearance tomorrow for Louisville vs Indianapolis at 1:05 p.m. in the Batsí final game of the season.