PDA

View Full Version : 2012 WVU Football Thread

WVRed
09-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Hadn't seen a thread started for this and I know there are some fans.

WVU opens in 20 minutes against Marshall for likely the last time in the Friends of Joe (Coal) Bowl. There's already been a skirmish between Marshall players and Geno Smith in the tunnel. Wouldn't be shocked if it spills out onto the field.

Prediction: WVU wins 45-17. Slow start early and Marshall keeps it close in the first half (just like always), but WVU turns on the jets and wins convincingly.

Hoosier Red
09-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Hadn't seen a thread started for this and I know there are some fans.

WVU opens in 20 minutes against Marshall for likely the last time in the Friends of Joe (Coal) Bowl. There's already been a skirmish between Marshall players and Geno Smith in the tunnel. Wouldn't be shocked if it spills out onto the field.

Prediction: WVU wins 45-17. Slow start early and Marshall keeps it close in the first half (just like always), but WVU turns on the jets and wins convincingly.

Offense looked pretty darn impressive, at least from the box score.

Marty would call it a good old fashioned butt whooping.

reds1869
09-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Congrats on a nice win from a Herd fan. Geno Smith is something special, but unless our offense is better than I think it is you all are going to give up a ton of points. Then again, it might not matter with that offense. :laugh:

WVRed
09-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Congrats on a nice win from a Herd fan. Geno Smith is something special, but unless our offense is better than I think it is you all are going to give up a ton of points. Then again, it might not matter with that offense. :laugh:

I'd like to see WVU face a real defense, but the only teams I see that could pose that threat are Oklahoma and maybe Texas.

That being said, Oklahoma State and WVU might break the record for most points scored by two teams in a single game.

Slyder
09-02-2012, 01:13 AM

I wonder how much of that was because the coaches didn't want to tip their hands too much knowing that the offense could have put up 100 if they wanted. A lot of those yards were in 20+ leads or in mop up time so I am not that worried about it.

We came out of the game injury free from what I've heard and that's what matters. Hopefully we won't see this game again for a while because it does neither team any good and doesn't draw new money for the state, it just moves what money is already here around (mostly).

Homer Bailey
09-04-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm worried about the WVU defense, but not necessarily because of the points/yards that Marshall put up. When the game was even somewhat of a game, the defense only really gave up 13 points. 7 of the points came off a blocked punt. When it was 62-20, I left the game. Obviously I heard that Marshall put up two more long drives and 14 more points in garbage time. I believe when I left that Marshall was somewhere around 300 yards.

Marshall has some talent on offense. Cato is pretty nifty in the pocket and Dobson has some serious skills (although there were several plays where i seriously questioned his effort).

Obviously WVU is going to have some issues on defense, but I didn't walk away from that game panicking completely.

WVU offense was amazing, but the Marshall D was pathetic. Zero pass rush and zero run blitz, and WVU just ran all over them. Seemed like they were terrified of getting beat deep, which if you know Holgorsen's offense, it doesn't consist of a whole lot of deep passes. Marshall was playing not to lose from the get to, and it back fired.

It was hilarious seeing the Marshall players trash talking WVU players after making tackles on huge plays. I forget who it was that had the angle on Austin on his 70 yard run, and after he tackled Tavon he got in his face and started talking trash. It was hard not to laugh.

Homer Bailey
09-04-2012, 12:27 AM
LOVE the Air Raid siren after long passing touchdowns:

Stedman Bailey -- 1st Touchdown Of The Year (2012) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEArhBoWp80&list=UUL6ImZ1QuoJhFgf2VY4sOmA&index=1&feature=plcp)

Homer Bailey
09-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Through two games, Geno Smith has accounted for 10 touchdowns, and thrown 9 incomplete passes. He has to be considered the favorite for the Heisman trophy at this point, with USC going down, with De'Anthony Thomas not far behind.

Boston Red
09-16-2012, 08:25 AM
WV has to play someone with a pulse first. That will happen soon enough.

Homer Bailey
09-17-2012, 12:50 AM
As with Robert Griffin III last year, he's not expected to lead his team to an undefeated season, and so Heisman voters will look to his overall numbers and how well he performs against Big 12 traditional powers like Texas and Oklahoma to gauge his worthiness. Given his solid name recognition, his potential for an elite statistical season and his odd status as a Mid-Atlantic player competing in the Southwest, he's at the top of this Watch ... for now.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/20205571/week-3-heisman-watch-geno-smith-leads-wideopen-race-as-matt-barkley-falters

texasdave
09-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Crazy game up in Morgantown. WVU leads Baylor 63-56 with a little over ten minutes to play. Geno Smith is 38-43 and has more TDs (7) than incompletions (5).

Slyder
09-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Crazy game up in Morgantown. WVU leads Baylor 63-56 with a little over ten minutes to play. Geno Smith is 38-43 and has more TDs (7) than incompletions (5).

Make it 8. 70 to 56. I think Coach Huggins is starting to get jealous seeing all the scoring.

The DARK
09-29-2012, 03:54 PM
I guess defense just isn't a thing in the Big 12.

Slyder
09-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Some final lines from the game:

WVU:
Geno Smith 45-51 (6 total incompletions), 656 yards, 8 touchdowns
Tavon Austin 14 rec, 215 yards, 2 tds
Stedmon Bailey 13 rec, 303 yards, 5 tds.
JD Woods 13 rec, 114 yards, and catch of the game on the clean one handed catch late.

Baylor:
Nick Florence 30-48, 582 yards, 5 tds, 1 int (on a tip)
Terrance Williams 17 rec, 314 yards, 2 tds (and probably made himself some cash today).

Those are just disgusting numbers.

RichRed
09-30-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm starting to feel pretty good about my JMU Dukes allowing "only" 42 points against the Mountaineers.

(I know, I know, WVU took their foot off the gas. Just let me have this.)

WDE
09-30-2012, 01:55 PM
What a game yesterday. Watched the whole thing. Smith is definitely the Heisman frontrunner right now. Heck of a player.

Homer Bailey
09-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Geno is amazing. But wow is this WVU defense awful. Going to be very hard to win the Big XII if you need 70 points every week. Headed to Austin for the game next Saturday!

19braves77
10-01-2012, 10:36 PM
I wonder if we will ever see the day were a West Virginia offense has a Alabama type defense now with scholarship limits ? Offensive minded coaches want skill players on offense and vice versa with defensive minded coaches.

The last time you saw those type of teams were the Bama and Sooners teams of the 70's with both running the wishbone and those offenses could score as many points as they wanted on a given day.

WVRed
10-02-2012, 08:01 PM
The Texas game will be an interesting game. Texas has the talent to slow down WVU's offense but it's a matter of if they will show up. They almost went down to Oklahoma State, which was my pick to be a high scoring affair instead of Baylor, and still very well could. Not to mention this is the Mountaineers first real road test this season.

The more success that WVU has, the more I would say to enjoy the ride. Geno and Tavon will both be gone after this season and I could see Stedman going pro as well. With a rebuilding project coming up after this season and the coaching carousel hitting full swing, I wonder if WVU will be able to keep Holgorsen from leaving for a higher profile coaching job.

If WVU gets past Texas, the two teams I seeing outside of Oklahoma giving WVU a contest are Kansas State and TCU, the latter of which I will be in attendance for.

Homer Bailey
10-03-2012, 12:24 PM
The more success that WVU has, the more I would say to enjoy the ride. Geno and Tavon will both be gone after this season and I could see Stedman going pro as well. With a rebuilding project coming up after this season and the coaching carousel hitting full swing, I wonder if WVU will be able to keep Holgorsen from leaving for a higher profile coaching job.

Knew I could count on you to throw some cold water on this season :D.

Slyder
10-03-2012, 12:36 PM
The Texas game will be an interesting game. Texas has the talent to slow down WVU's offense but it's a matter of if they will show up. They almost went down to Oklahoma State, which was my pick to be a high scoring affair instead of Baylor, and still very well could. Not to mention this is the Mountaineers first real road test this season.

If WVU gets past Texas, the two teams I seeing outside of Oklahoma giving WVU a contest are Kansas State and TCU, the latter of which I will be in attendance for.

The thing about West Virginia though, you do something truly special it buys you a lot of time. Look at Nehlen he rode 88 and 93 goodwill for another decade. If Rodriguez doesn't choke vs Pittsburgh he is a demi-god. Stewart got more time because of the one night in the Arizona desert.

WVU will be able to be competitive in pay. We may not be able to match the Michigan's, the USC, etc but one thing I never understood. Why go somewhere and be one of many when you can stick at a job like a WVU and make that YOUR job. You have a chance to become like Bobby Bowden at FSU, like Bear Bryant at Alabama, like Woody Hayes at OSU, like Bo in Michigan. Why go somewhere that regardless of what you do you'll still be 2nd fiddle (or in some schools history 4th or 5th fiddle)? Just my opine.

WVRed
10-04-2012, 09:26 AM
The thing about West Virginia though, you do something truly special it buys you a lot of time. Look at Nehlen he rode 88 and 93 goodwill for another decade. If Rodriguez doesn't choke vs Pittsburgh he is a demi-god. Stewart got more time because of the one night in the Arizona desert.

WVU will be able to be competitive in pay. We may not be able to match the Michigan's, the USC, etc but one thing I never understood. Why go somewhere and be one of many when you can stick at a job like a WVU and make that YOUR job. You have a chance to become like Bobby Bowden at FSU, like Bear Bryant at Alabama, like Woody Hayes at OSU, like Bo in Michigan. Why go somewhere that regardless of what you do you'll still be 2nd fiddle (or in some schools history 4th or 5th fiddle)? Just my opine.

Nehlen is the one coach that IMO exuded the most loyalty to WVU, even though the fans were ready to see him go when he did. He turned down Wisconsin which ultimately went to Barry Alvarez.

And while I do get your point with the coaches listed, you could argue that Bear Bryant could have stayed at Kentucky (or any of his other coaching stops), or Bobby Bowden could have stayed at West Virginia and not left for Florida State.

Coaches leave to pursue better jobs all the time, even the best ones. Some do stay, but Holgorsen has no ties to WV and is quickly becoming a rising star in coaching. If Tennessee comes open I wouldn't be surprised if Holgorsen isn't at the top of their list, especially if they want to make a splash after settling for Derek Dooley.

Slyder
10-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Nehlen is the one coach that IMO exuded the most loyalty to WVU, even though the fans were ready to see him go when he did. He turned down Wisconsin which ultimately went to Barry Alvarez.

And while I do get your point with the coaches listed, you could argue that Bear Bryant could have stayed at Kentucky (or any of his other coaching stops), or Bobby Bowden could have stayed at West Virginia and not left for Florida State.

Coaches leave to pursue better jobs all the time, even the best ones. Some do stay, but Holgorsen has no ties to WV and is quickly becoming a rising star in coaching. If Tennessee comes open I wouldn't be surprised if Holgorsen isn't at the top of their list, especially if they want to make a splash after settling for Derek Dooley.

But at the same time Bobby Bowden didn't goto Army or Notre Dame. Florida State was an all girls school from 1905 until 1947. He made them relevant in football. Plus WVU ran off Bowden, he didn't leave.

Bryant was an alumni of Alabama and hence why he returned.

And coaches also risk becoming tales of horror that the grass is not always greener elsewhere.

wolfboy
10-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say it's great to see WVU's success in the B12. As a former Big East team, I think it can't help but tear down the notion that the Big East was a second tier conference. WVU demonstrated that in a big way in last year's Orange Bowl, and they've continued the trend in the Big 12. Anyway, I hope for all the best for you guys. :beerme:

Razor Shines
10-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Not really a fan of either team (Notre Dame fan actually) but I was at the game last night and I think that was one of the most fun games I've ever been to. There was a lot more yellow than I expected. I guess I shouldn't have been that surprised though, almost everyone I meet that lives in Austin is from somewhere outside of Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homer Bailey
10-08-2012, 01:29 AM
Not really a fan of either team (Notre Dame fan actually) but I was at the game last night and I think that was one of the most fun games I've ever been to. There was a lot more yellow than I expected. I guess I shouldn't have been that surprised though, almost everyone I meet that lives in Austin is from somewhere outside of Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second most fun football game I've ever attended, next to only the 2006 Sugar Bowl. Man, that place was loud. Louder than both the LSU and the Auburn games that I attended on the road.

Can't believe we gutted it out. Was truly an incredible football game.

Hey Big 12.... WE'RE HERE!

WVRed
10-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Hey Big 12.... WE'RE HERE!

That's nice, now get out.

Signed,

Texas Tech

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

19braves77
10-13-2012, 06:32 PM
This is what happens when you don't have a defense to back up a sandlot offense when its not excuting.

Homer Bailey
10-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I knew the defense was bad, and I knew that the offense was going to have a bad game eventually. But I did not expect to lose by 35 to an unranked team. However unlikely it is now, I think WVU still controls its own destiny in the Big 12 essentially (all they need is a TT loss), but I can't imagine WVU not losing at least one if not a few more games.

WVRed
10-15-2012, 11:46 AM
I knew the defense was bad, and I knew that the offense was going to have a bad game eventually. But I did not expect to lose by 35 to an unranked team. However unlikely it is now, I think WVU still controls its own destiny in the Big 12 essentially (all they need is a TT loss), but I can't imagine WVU not losing at least one if not a few more games.

Kansas State and Oklahoma are really the toughest games WVU has left on paper. I say "on paper" because they seem to always play up to the likes of Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc. but lay an egg against teams they should beat (Syracuse the past two years, now Texas Tech). Plus both are in Morgantown.

That being said, Texas Tech was the perfect storm. Emotional high coming off the Texas win, Kansas State next week. People have been blaming the wind, but Texas Tech IMO provided the blueprint on how to limit the Air Raid offense (Tommy Tuberville did coach in the SEC). Eliminate big plays and stop the run, and when Tavon and Stedman catch the ball, swarm to them like locusts. The wind was a factor, but when the WVU receivers caught the ball, they had nowhere to go.

I was more surprised WVU dropped to 17th in the AP poll. I was expecting 10-12.

Boston Red
10-20-2012, 08:34 PM
If anyone can come back from 31-7 down at the half, you'd think it would be WV, but it's kind of unbelievable what has happened to these guys since they left Austin. I didn't expect WV to go undefeated....but I certainly wasn't thinking about them getting blown out back to back weeks.

Slyder
10-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the Big 12. We're walking into a gun fight with knives.

Bad Defense
Bad Special Teams
Lack of quality depth

Previous years we could mask some stuff playing a Big East schedule, now we're playing a legit conference schedule and it is exposing all of our flaws in recruiting the last few years.

Boston Red
10-20-2012, 09:07 PM
WV did manage to lose twice in the Big East last year. By the way.

joshnky
10-21-2012, 08:13 AM

They forget that they were hardly dominant in the Big East. With Louisville improved and Rutgers playing well WVU might have two losses in this year's Big East as well.

Homer Bailey
10-23-2012, 03:17 PM
When I say I have no comment on the last two games, its not out of bitterness. I just have literally no idea what has happened to the offense. I knew the D was bad, didn't know it was this bad. But the lack of offense is the most surprising and concerning thing.

wolfboy
10-23-2012, 03:22 PM

And won two outright BE titles in twenty years. I say that not as a slight to WV, but as a reminder that the BE was never as terrible as people wanted you to believe.

Slyder
11-04-2012, 02:59 AM
At least this thread isn't calling for Geno Smith to be benched after TCU game...

WVRed
11-04-2012, 09:09 AM
At least this thread isn't calling for Geno Smith to be benched after TCU game...

I was at the game and there were fans in the stands calling for Geno to be benched. When you consider the backups are a sophomore (Millard) and freshman (Childress), be careful what you wish for.

For the longest time you kinda wondered who wanted to win the game more. WVU's defense was somewhat better in terms of forcing fumbles and making hits, but the offense is still stalling.

On a side note, I was pleasantly surprised with WVU's fans. The final call was questionable and the fans were booing, especially on the replay shown at the stadium. I was with my wife and her family thinking "We need to get out of here now, given WVU fans have a history of doing some "stupid" things". The fans booed when the call was confirmed, but the fans were very complimentary to the TCU fans who made the trip.

After the game, I pretty much decided to make the plunge in football only. I still bleed blue in basketball, and that isn't going to change. When your football team has only one win on the season and the AD thanks the true 19,000 fans for showing up and saying the ones who didn't have "personal agendas", it gets pretty frustrating.

Slyder
11-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I was at the game and there were fans in the stands calling for Geno to be benched. When you consider the backups are a sophomore (Millard) and freshman (Childress), be careful what you wish for.

For the longest time you kinda wondered who wanted to win the game more. WVU's defense was somewhat better in terms of forcing fumbles and making hits, but the offense is still stalling.

On a side note, I was pleasantly surprised with WVU's fans. The final call was questionable and the fans were booing, especially on the replay shown at the stadium. I was with my wife and her family thinking "We need to get out of here now, given WVU fans have a history of doing some "stupid" things". The fans booed when the call was confirmed, but the fans were very complimentary to the TCU fans who made the trip.

After the game, I pretty much decided to make the plunge in football only. I still bleed blue in basketball, and that isn't going to change. When your football team has only one win on the season and the AD thanks the true 19,000 fans for showing up and saying the ones who didn't have "personal agendas", it gets pretty frustrating.

Couple people were rumor-mongering that Geno got lit up in the Texas game and he's not been the same qb since. I still like Geno but he doesn't look like the same QB that played the previous 5-6 games in this 3 game stretch. I know we really don't have anyone else but I wonder if maybe he got his bell rung at some point and he's worried about it?

Just my thoughts.

Mutaman
12-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Fellow named Don Barclay had to step in for the Packers today and did a good job. Anybody know anything about this guy?

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/don-barclay/4c69f318-aedc-4830-8c13-0c5e9810e5cc/

Mutaman
12-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Don Barclay doing the job.