PDA

View Full Version : NL MVP....so wide open

Ironman92
09-02-2012, 10:31 PM
McCutchen likely still ahead....

Braun with the numbers but the obvious is against him

David Wright....Mets suck

Just no one really making a lockdown case.

Still a month left and these guys could be in the mix with a good month:

Buster Posey
Yadier Molina
Matt Holliday
Jay Bruce
Carlos Beltran
Aramis Ramirez
Giancarlo Stanton
Jason Kubel

If no one is great...mix in the pitchers...Cueto, Chapman, Gio, Dickey, Kimbrel

Ironman92
09-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Good seasons but can't do enough to win it

Chase Headley
Jason Heyward
Adam LaRoche

HometownHero
09-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Should be Braun but after last winter and his teams BP costing him so many games it will never happen. .310. 37 and 95 with no Prince as protection and the pressure of wanting to match last season after the testing drama is impressive as it gets.

The whole Brewers season is strange from the terrible start by Ramirez, the countless injuries to the downfall of K-Rod and Axford and the SP issues. They could be a team to watch in 2013 if they reinvest the money they saved in trades of FA and their rookies keep up the progress they shown do the stretch for the.

WDE
09-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Braun should win, but won't. Bet it will be Matt Holiday if the Cards can get a WC.

Ironman92
09-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Plenty of time left for a huge statistical gain.

HometownHero
09-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Braun should win, but won't. Bet it will be Matt Holiday if the Cards can get a WC.

Holliday or Posey would be the safe bets, but Holliday has a better shot since he doesn't play in SF.

Ironman92
09-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Holliday or Posey would be the safe bets, but Holliday has a better shot since he doesn't play in SF.

If McCutchen, Holliday and Posey don't do much and Braun wins the HR title and RBI title by huge amounts...mixed with his defense and base running...high OPS....it'll be tough to not award him.

Moosie52
09-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Seriously, it should be Chapman. He's done things no one in history has done.

jback76
09-03-2012, 08:15 AM
If McCutchen, Holliday and Posey don't do much and Braun wins the HR title and RBI title by huge amounts...mixed with his defense and base running...high OPS....it'll be tough to not award him.

I agree, if Braun ends up leading the league in Homers by a wide margin and also RBI's hits .310+ i think he'll win it. On the other hand if one of, McCutchen, Holliday or Posey has a huge finish that could change.

TheBigLebowski
09-03-2012, 12:35 PM
McCutchen.

Ironman92
09-03-2012, 01:27 PM
McCutchen.

It's his to lose....but the past 3 weeks he's came back to the field.

Ironman92
09-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Jay Bruce up to #7

19braves77
09-03-2012, 04:42 PM
McCutchen and Heyward

Take these two away from their teams and these teams are not fighting for playoff spots.

I can live with Heyward being like this if the defense improves every year.

jback76
09-03-2012, 04:43 PM
The Reds don't seem to have anyone in the running for MVP. They've had more of a team effort. I'd say the best shot at any post season honors would be Dusty Baker (MOY) He's kept the team winning even without Votto.

Ironman92
09-03-2012, 04:45 PM
McCutchen and Heyward

Take these two away from their teams and these teams are not fighting for playoff spots.

I can live with Heyward being like this if the defense improves every year.

Heyward is not top 5

Ironman92
09-03-2012, 04:45 PM
The Reds don't seem to have anyone in the running for MVP. They've had more of a team effort. I'd say the best shot at any post season honors would be Dusty Baker (MOY) He's kept the team winning even without Votto.

EDDTYWROL

Ohayou
09-03-2012, 04:53 PM
If the season ended today, this would be my Top 10:

1. Ryan Braun
2. Buster Posey
3. Andrew McCutchen
4. Aroldis Chapman
5. David Wright
6. Matt Holliday
7. Giancarlo Stanton
8. Yadier Molina
9. Michael Bourn
10. Chase Headley

I was a little hesitant to throw Chapman's name into the mix because he's not a position player, but it wouldn't be the first time a RP won. Stanton is very close to cracking my Top 5, and Bruce needs to do a whole lot more before I even consider him a candidate.

Ironman92
09-03-2012, 04:56 PM
If the season ended today, this would be my Top 10:

1. Ryan Braun
2. Buster Posey
3. Andrew McCutchen
4. Aroldis Chapman
5. David Wright
6. Matt Holliday
7. Giancarlo Stanton
8. Yadier Molina
9. Michael Bourn
10. Chase Headley

I was a little hesitant to throw Chapman's name into the mix because he's not a position player, but it wouldn't be the first time a RP won. Stanton is very close to cracking my Top 5, and Bruce needs to do a whole lot more before I even consider him a candidate.

Bruce is right with Stanton but on a division winner opposed to last place.

I would have few qualms with Molina being up near the top.

jback76
09-03-2012, 05:51 PM

I would have few qualms with Molina being up near the top.
I like Bruce as much as any Reds player, but if Bruce is voted MVP the voters weren't paying attention to the first 4 and a half months of the season. Maybe player of the month but that's his only shot.

BluegrassRedleg
09-03-2012, 05:54 PM
I think McCutchen deserves it, if you favor giving it to someone who completely changes the outlook of a team that has been successful.

Ironman92
09-03-2012, 05:55 PM
I like Bruce as much as any Reds player, but if Bruce is voted MVP the voters weren't paying attention to the first 4 and a half months of the season. Maybe player of the month but that's his only shot.

You go by the whole work....his whole work is 30 HR and 89 RBI and many doubles....on a playoff team.....he's not in the discussion for winning but he could sneak some 6th and 7th place votes to accrue a top 10 finish right now.

Falcon7
09-03-2012, 05:55 PM

If it's a Card, no way Holliday wins it over Molina, he is not even an average left fielder, and Molina is one of the best catchers in all of baseball.

Yea, it's WIDE OPEN this year.
I say McCutchen/Molina/Posey or (Some other guy who has a strong finish) About 10 guys have a legit shot at it.

jback76
09-03-2012, 05:58 PM
You go by the whole work....his whole work is 30 HR and 89 RBI and many doubles....on a playoff team.....he's not in the discussion for winning but he could sneak some 6th and 7th place votes to accrue a top 10 finish right now.
Yeah, I agree somewhere between 5-10.

HometownHero
09-03-2012, 06:08 PM
If it's a Card, no way Holliday wins it over Molina, he is not even an average left fielder, and Molina is one of the best catchers in all of baseball.

He and average outfielder for sure, he just looks awkward and when he does misplay a balls a noticeable play but he's +1 run saved this year and +21 n his career.

Molina will get tons of love and if the award was for the player that was literally most valuable Molina would win. Holliday has a .307, 24 HR 92 RBI and 85 runs and those are the best that will be on a playoff team.

Andrew McCutchen should be held reasonable for not hitting during his teams massive fade. He was .373 at start of August and is now down to .341 and in his last 100 AB he is 22-for-100 with 1 HR and 4 XBH and just 11 RBI and with a OPS under .600.

Ironman92
09-03-2012, 06:24 PM
McCutch was also 48 for his 100 before that....he's still on outstanding position to win.

HometownHero
09-03-2012, 07:35 PM
McCutch was also 48 for his 100 before that....he's still on outstanding position to win.

Not if he fails to make the playoffs, if someone wins if they aren't in the playoff's it should be Braun.

.311, 37 HR, 96 RBI and 22 steals for RB
.341, 24 HR, 80 RBI and 16 steals for AM

Braun is T-5th in BA and 1st in HR and RBI and is one off McCutchen for the NL lead is RS, McCutchen is first in runs 2nd in average T-13th in HR and 15th in RBI.

Ironman92
09-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Not if he fails to make the playoffs, if someone wins if they aren't in the playoff's it should be Braun.

.311, 37 HR, 96 RBI and 22 steals for RB
.341, 24 HR, 80 RBI and 16 steals for AM

Braun is T-5th in BA and 1st in HR and RBI and is one off McCutchen for the NL lead is RS, McCutchen is first in runs 2nd in average T-13th in HR and 15th in RBI.

If they stay the distance apart they are now....voters will take McCutchen over Braun due to last year....the more they separate the more likely Braun gets the votes he likely deserves.

HometownHero
09-03-2012, 08:21 PM
If they stay the distance apart they are now....voters will take McCutchen over Braun due to last year....the more they separate the more likely Braun gets the votes he likely deserves.

They will likely just take someone in the playoffs to avoid the drama. The BBWAA would get bombarded with upset people if they overlook a guy having a better year than his previous MVP season without Fielder's protection for a guy with far lesser numbers possibly not a much better record by the times its all over.

As of this second I think Aroldis is in a better spot than McCutchen with him going down with the Pirates ship along with being so far off the pace in HR and RBI.

40YrRedsFan
09-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Giants will win the West.....Posey will win MVP

cw0802
09-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I would remove Beltran from the conversation. While he got off to a great start, little nagging injuries have brought his production to a halt.

Holliday would be a good bet though many Cardinal fans are saying Molina over Holliday. I wouldn't be upset if Chapman got it. Who in the NL has been as dominant?

Ohayou
09-04-2012, 10:47 AM

Bruce isn't even on the same level as Stanton.

If the season ended today, this would be my Top 10

I vote for the best players. I couldn't care less who's on a winning team.

jback76
09-04-2012, 12:22 PM

I agree somewhat. If a player's stats are head and shoulders above everyone elses and he's playing on a .500 team I'd give it to that player. If that same player is on a team with a record like the Astros no way. That's why if the season ended today IMO I'd give it to Braun. But still a lot can change in 26 or 27 games.

Ironman92
09-04-2012, 12:46 PM

No, but missing a lot of games and playing on a crappy team evens them out.

Stanton 62 runs, 73 RBI, 29 HR, 27 2B .938 OPS

Bruce 78 runs, 89 RBI, 30 HR, 32 2B .867 OPS

You can say things like RBI and Runs are built on outside factors and aren't good measures...OPS is great but missing all those games has hurt his MVP numbers......and if you don't agree then Joey Votto should be the MVP.

Ironman92
09-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Right now my top 7 vote...

1. Braun
2. McCutchen
3. Posey
4. Molina
5. LaRoche
6. Headley
7. Ramirez

HometownHero
09-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Would be shocked if its anyone but Buster Posey at this point. The Pirates are a losing team now and Posey is closing in on passing McCutchen in average and with the steroid stuff I just cant see the BBWAA members voting for Ryan Braun even if he should be the runaway winner.

Ironman92
09-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Would be shocked if its anyone but Buster Posey at this point. The Pirates are a losing team now and Posey is closing in on passing McCutchen in average and with the steroid stuff I just cant see the BBWAA members voting for Ryan Braun even if he should be the runaway winner.

Voters vote...

1. Posey
2. Braun
3. McCutchen
4. Molina
5. LaRoche
6. Dickey
7. Headley