PDA

View Full Version : Lineup Order Doesn't Matter

Ironman92
09-03-2012, 08:44 PM
That's good news! Otherwise, I worry about my recent trip through the stats.

Of every player in the National League that is on pace to have enough plate appearances to qualify for a batting title.....or any title that is based on a percentage.

Drew Stubbs is dead last in OB% and Zack Cozart is next to last...in the entire NL. Stubbs also holds last place in OPS.

texasdave
09-03-2012, 09:13 PM

Of every player in the National League that is on pace to have enough plate appearances to qualify for a batting title.....or any title that is based on a percentage.

Drew Stubbs is dead last in OB% and Zack Cozart is next to last...in the entire NL. Stubbs also holds last place in OPS.

If he was leading in strikeouts he would be well on his way to the Backwards Triple Crown.

texasdave
09-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Lineup Order Doesn't Matter. But crappy hitting does.

R_Webb18
09-03-2012, 09:26 PM
lineup order does matter. you can think all you want but id bet money if i made the lineup we could score more runs overall.

texasdave
09-03-2012, 09:36 PM
lineup order does matter. you can think all you want but id bet money if i made the lineup we could score more runs overall.

There was some sarcasm in there.

jback76
09-04-2012, 12:31 PM
There was some sarcasm in there.
I would certainly hope so.

R_Webb18
09-04-2012, 12:34 PM
i think i heard lance m say he really does not think lineup matters.

some people really do think it means nothing

BluegrassRedleg
09-04-2012, 03:50 PM
You'd have just as much success drawing the lineup out of a hat as the way Dusty Baker does it. And I'm dead serious.

jback76
09-04-2012, 03:59 PM

After reading that last stat, I find it mind boggling that a major league manager this far into the season would continue to have Cozart and Stubbs at the top of the order. Has no one pointed this out to Baker? Walt or anyone else?

Ironman92
09-04-2012, 04:01 PM
He made it worse tonight....Stubbs/Valdez are at the top

mikemo14
09-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Maybe Stubbs is being rewarded tonight since he broke his 12 game strikeout streak last night by just going 0-for-4 without whiffing. Scoot down a little farther on the bench Mr. Heisey.

jback76
09-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Maybe Dusty let's his son make out the lineup card and he's a big Drew Stubbs fan.

BluegrassRedleg
09-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Just means another night where 8-10 PAs are basically forfeited to the opponent.

Red Buckeye
09-04-2012, 05:03 PM

The last statement written here by Iron should be read out loud to Dusty. I knew they were bad but that is awesome. It's actually the complete opposite of how most managers would put their first two hitters. Dusty has his two worst OBP guys in the NL hitting 1 and 2.

It is a dead horse but it still amazes me as much now as it did in June. As Marty would say, it's simply mind boggling.:confused:

smixsell
09-04-2012, 05:10 PM
You'd have just as much success drawing the lineup out of a hat as the way Dusty Baker does it. And I'm dead serious.

Possibly even more. And I'm dead serious too.

Ironman92
09-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Maybe Stubbs is being rewarded tonight since he broke his 12 game strikeout streak last night by just going 0-for-4 without whiffing. Scoot down a little farther on the bench Mr. Heisey.

Well, now he's out with a bruised tailbone.

MBZags
09-04-2012, 05:59 PM

Duly noted. (http://nomaas.org/2010/02/batting-order-for-geeks/)

In attempting to optimize the batting order, any single lineup alteration is likely to result in a only a very small gain (usually less than one run over the course of an entire season).

It's still fun to argue, though.

BluegrassRedleg
09-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Duly noted. (http://nomaas.org/2010/02/batting-order-for-geeks/)

It's still fun to argue, though.

Interesting read, especially about the 3 hole stuff. Had never really heard that before. It goes totally against conventional thinking.

I'd like to see it analyzed on someone other than the Yankees, though. The Reds provide a more interesting/challenging dynamic.

texasdave
09-04-2012, 06:28 PM
You should have highlighted this section instead.

We want to emphasize that last point. Batting orders are fun to argue about. And lineups that have hitters with varying types of skills and overall skill levels can squeeze out a couple- maybe even a few- wins over the course of a season by optimizing their batting order.

And the tone of that article does not suggest to me to that putting the two worst OBP hitters in the league first and second in the lineup is a good idea. So, like BluegrassRedleg pointed out, if you have nine quality bats in the lineup maybe it doesn't matter. On most teams, IMO, it will.