PDA

View Full Version : #1 Seed Travel Concerns Solution

ervinsm84
09-05-2012, 01:07 AM
I'm sure most here are aware the #1 and #2 seed open on the road in the divisional series round with the 2-3 format.

What seems to have some people concerned would be a situation where the Reds won the 1 seed and don't know where to travel until after the Wild Card game is played. In this example, lets just assume the standings hold and its the Braves vs the Cardinals (braves have a better record and get the game at home) with the game being played in Atlanta.

Wed Oct 3rd final day of Reds regular season.

Thurs Oct 4 (scheduled off day for tie breakers weather make ups etc)

Friday Oct 5 St Louis @ Atlanta Braves

Saturday Oct 6 scheduled off day for travel

Sunday Oct 7 Game 1 @ winner of Atlanta vs St Louis

So, wouldn't it just make sense to travel on Oct 3rd after the last regular season game, or possibly the 4th if tiebreakers made it unclear to the location of the Wild Card game?

Traveling to Atlanta where the game is being played in advance would put the Reds at the location multiple days in advance and remove any travel concerns bc they've already been in Atlanta for an extended period. If the braves win, Reds just stay there. If the Cards win, the Reds just travel from Atlanta to StL at the same time as the Cards and are on the exact same schedule as StL.

The only blip I can see is not being able to use a major league facility during that time, but I'm sure there is a minor league park or other baseball facilities the club could use while staying there.

HometownHero
09-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Whats wrong with flying late Friday or Saturday morning to play on Sunday? Its 300 something miles to fly either to St Louis or Atlanta from Cincinnati but its almost 500 from Atlanta to St Louis.

5TimeWSChamps
09-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Umm, the worst case scenario would be to get the 2 seed, where you are then forced to go out West for the first 2 games

scott91575
09-05-2012, 05:19 AM
Why would you want the team to spend 2 more days away from home with friends and family and the Reds facilities to hang out in an Atlanta hotel for 2 days? To (possibly) save a 1 hour plane trip the day before the game?

Sorry, but not knowing where they play is of zero concern.

cooperlamar
09-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Yeah, no reason to be away from home for 3 days with about a 50% chance you're going to have to travel somewhere else anyway. You end the regular season, fly home, sleep in your own bed for 3 nights and hopefully watch the wild card teams slug it out, get up early Saturday and fly to wherever the game is refreshed. I wouldn't even want to travel late Friday night - the game likely wouldn't end until after 11 PM EST - just leave Sat late morning.

RedsBrick
09-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Only in MLB would the powers that be think it's a good idea to have a higher seed start a series on the road!

Girevik
09-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Only in MLB would the powers that be think it's a good idea to have a higher seed start a series on the road!

What's the alternative? There are only a handful of options, and as bad as this is, I think it's probably the best. The only other options I see are:

Start at home and go 2-2-1? That adds an extra travel day.
Start at home and go 3-2? That leaves the lower seed team with a chance at no home game.

swaisuc
09-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Option A. Add a travel day or don't, I don't care. Who travels when and where is logistics stuff that rarely affects the game on the field. Home field can be a pretty big deal and needs to take precedent.

Even if they have to go 2-3 for the wild card series, why would the other series follow as well? There is no time crunch on the 2 vs 3 seed series, so play that one 2-2-1 and keep the travel day. It will still end with or ahead of the WC series. I think it's silly to take away #2's advantage over #3 for no reason other than having logistical problems keeping #1's advantage. Were they afraid that #2 would actually become the preferred seed over #1?

Red Buckeye
09-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Is it just me or does this format seem to punish the best teams? Starting the playoffs on the road?

Is this still a best of 5 series?

And if it is, what I'm understanding is if the Reds should finish the regular season with the best record in MLB, yet if they lose the first two games in the series they are eliminated, without even playing a home game in the postseason.

So the best team might not even get a home game...Yeah sure seems fair to me.

Kinda seems to me like the WC teams should have to start off on the road. They are the last two to get in, they should have the biggest disadvantage. Seems like whomever wins the WC game, aside from having to play 1 extra game, has a great home field advantage.

swaisuc
09-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Is it just me or does this format seem to punish the best teams? Starting the playoffs on the road?

Is this still a best of 5 series?

And if it is, what I'm understanding is if the Reds should finish the regular season with the best record in MLB, yet if they lose the first two games in the series they are eliminated, without even playing a home game in the postseason.
So the best team might not even get a home game...Yeah sure seems fair to me.

Kinda seems to me like the WC teams should have to start off on the road. They are the last two to get in, they should have the biggest disadvantage. Seems like whomever wins the WC game, aside from having to play 1 extra game, has a great home field advantage.

No, not the case. Best of 5. 2 games on the road. If they start 0-2, they play game 3 at home regardless.

Trajinous
09-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Complaining about starting the playoffs on the road is silly.

If you split the series, then the "better" team, according to record, gets 3 shots at home to finish the series. That's a pretty big advantage.

RedsBrick
09-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Complaining about starting the playoffs on the road is silly.

If you split the series, then the "better" team, according to record, gets 3 shots at home to finish the series. That's a pretty big advantage.

That's certainly your opinion and you're entitled to it. It's unprecedented in major sports.

ervinsm84
09-05-2012, 12:38 PM
That's certainly your opinion and you're entitled to it. It's unprecedented in major sports.

No. The LCS was decided from 69-84 using the 2-3 format, so it's actually been done before even in the same major sport. Only difference is they just alternated year to year between divisions instead of based on record.

RedsBrick
09-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Good point, however, I was referring to other sports besides baseball, but didn't clarify.

Red Buckeye
09-05-2012, 01:03 PM
No, not the case. Best of 5. 2 games on the road. If they start 0-2, they play game 3 at home regardless.

Yeah my bad, for some reason I thought it was best of 3, I am having brain farts like crazy today!

Still though, I feel like this does put a lot pressure on the team tat should get all the advantages. Teams should get rewarded for being the best in the regular season.