PDA

View Full Version : 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

SunDeck
12-08-2012, 10:57 AM
I couldn't disagree more. The previous head coaches have parlayed their time at UC into jobs at Michigan State, Notre Dame and Tennessee and Butch Jones has left the team in better shape going forward than any of his predecessors. If you're an up-and-coming coach looking to quickly work your way up the coaching ladder there are few better opportunities out there than UC.

I don't disagree with that, but during that time period the Big East looked like a much better conference to be in. So sure, they are an attractive option for an up and coming coach, but the trajectory they appeared to be on is not the same as was when the previous two coaches were hired. I'm saying I don't blame Jones for leaving for a shot at the SEC and that the conference situation does not bode well for the program in general, and by extension their ability to remain a destination for high caliber recruits.

paintmered
12-08-2012, 11:11 AM
The only thing with the ACC is the pending lawsuit by Maryland, which everybody is going to be keeping an eye on. If Maryland wins and is able to leave without paying the exit fee, everybody in the ACC will technically be "free agents". Florida State and Clemson are likely Big 12 bound if this happens, and I wouldn't be surprised if Virginia and NC State get courted by the Big 12 and SEC. One rumor has been Duke and UNC to the SEC as well.

If Cincinnati gets into the ACC, congrats, but its likely that the ACC will be the new Big East, while the current Big East is Conference USA.

I doubt Maryland thinks they can absolve the exit fee entirely. But if they can reduce it by even half, it's much more enticing for the schools you mention to leave.

UC fans understand that the ACC is the latest version of the Big East and will be the least of the "Big 5". But there's a gulf in class between it and the Big East for television money and perceived competition level. They also have ownership of the Orange Bowl, which is an aspect not to be underestimated. Television money alone is worth an additional $100 million over the next ten years if UC can find their way into the ACC.

The UC Board of Trustees meet on Tuesday. I expect to hear something concrete regarding Nippert then.

Stray
12-08-2012, 11:13 AM
If you're Cincinnati do you put a call out to Jim Tressel's people?

Reds4Life
12-08-2012, 11:28 AM
If you're Cincinnati do you put a call out to Jim Tressel's people?

Yes. Tressel wants to stay in Ohio because of OPERS (Ohio's state employee retirement system) and aside from Ohio State, Cincinnati is the only other major program in the state.

The show cause penalty could be negotiated with the NCAA, but it would depend on how badly the want to keep making an example out of him.

I doubt it will happen though, probably be some MAC nobody.

WMR
12-08-2012, 11:58 AM
OMG I would seriously become a UC fan if they hired Tressell. That would be so awesome. hire him.

WMR
12-08-2012, 11:58 AM
FYI: Screw the NCAA

Sea Ray
12-08-2012, 12:06 PM
I agree. It might be unreasonable, but I'm disappointed that he couldn't win an outright BE championship this season. I truly believe that a better coach would have.

Considering the talent he had at UC, I think he did great and so do the folks at Purdue, Colorado and Tennessee. I think there's evidence that all three programs offered him jobs. He never had the talent of Connor Barwin, Tony Pike or Zach Collaros. I prefer Butch to any of UT's previous candidates and if the text messages from my UC friends means anything, the Vols made a great hire. One said that they'd no longer talk to me since my school stole their coach. They wouldn't have said that if it was Dave Shula

dabvu2498
12-08-2012, 12:29 PM
He never had the talent of Connor Barwin, Tony Pike or Zach Collaros.

:confused:

Collaros played 2 full seasons at QB for Jones. (2010 and 2011)

UC also had 2 players drafted in the 2nd round, 1 in the 3rd, and 1 in the 4th last year.

Reds4Life
12-08-2012, 12:56 PM
It's being reported now that UC has hired Tommy Tuberville.

No idea if its true though.

dabvu2498
12-08-2012, 01:06 PM
It's being reported now that UC has hired Tommy Tuberville.

No idea if its true though.

That's crazy.

How many coaches have been the head coach at 4 different BCS schools?

WMR
12-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Wow. That would be a GREAT hire.

Reds4Life
12-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Confirmed by UC, Tuberville to Cincinnati. Press conference at 6:30pm tonight.

Stray
12-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Holy crap! That would be an awesome hire, hope it's true.

Reds4Life
12-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Holy crap! That would be an awesome hire, hope it's true.

It's true, being confirmed by UC.

Stray
12-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Yep just saw the tweet. Man Whit Babcock is earning his paycheck. To get this done in this amount of time is impressive.

Crazy to think we just upgraded our head coach through all of this.

paintmered
12-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Wow.

WMR
12-08-2012, 01:24 PM
That's an amazing hire. Why did he want to leave the B12 for UC?

Reds4Life
12-08-2012, 01:39 PM
It's on ESPN now to.

Have to say, Whit Babcock did an amazing job. Amazing.

WMR
12-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Tuberville > Butch Jones

Srs.

WMR
12-08-2012, 01:41 PM
UC fans should be over the moon right now. Wow.

Matt700wlw
12-08-2012, 01:47 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/31351934.jpg

dabvu2498
12-08-2012, 01:54 PM
That's an amazing hire. Why did he want to leave the B12 for UC?

I'm not so sure it's the Big 12. I think there's something very strange in the water in Lubbock.

Caveat Emperor
12-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Drop the mic, Whit Babcock.

Great hire.

SunDeck
12-08-2012, 01:59 PM
I hate it when I have no idea what I'm talking about and then something happens that just confirms the fact for everyone else.
Color me shocked.

jojo
12-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Whit Babcock and Tommy T are tight....Babcock was an assistant AD at Auburn for 5 years while TT was HC at Auburn. UC will probably be hiring a new S&C coach named Yoxall soon too....

Reds4Life
12-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Some other reports are saying its possible Petrino will be the OC for Tuberville, if he doesn't get another head coaching job.

Not sure how I feel about that, he's a great on offense, but a total scumbag. Better lockup the cheerleaders and put all young female employees on notice. Lol

Stray
12-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Mike Zimmer would probably find him and beat him up if they lived in the same city :laugh:

Caveat Emperor
12-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Some other reports are saying its possible Petrino will be the OC for Tuberville, if he doesn't get another head coaching job.

Not sure how I feel about that, he's a great on offense, but a total scumbag. Better lockup the cheerleaders and put all young female employees on notice. Lol

I'm not sure how tight Petrino and Tuberville are -- apparently Petrino was kind of a snake (shocking, I know) during his time at Auburn and was interviewing for jobs without even a courtesy call to Tuberville.

Now...Gene Chizik was the DC at Auburn under TT. I could definitely see him getting a look for that position at UC.

joshnky
12-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Wow. That would be a GREAT hire.

Why? Did you want UK to hire him? He's always been a very mediocre coach.

dabvu2498
12-08-2012, 03:05 PM

You mean except for that undefeated season and 6 SEC West championships thing, right?

WMR
12-08-2012, 03:18 PM

Would much rather roll the dice with Butch Jones than Charlie Strong.

joshnky
12-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Would much rather roll the dice with Butch Jones than Charlie Strong.

I'm talking about tuberville not your blind hatred for all things UofL.

joshnky
12-08-2012, 03:33 PM
You mean except for that undefeated season and 6 SEC West championships thing, right?

That's was a long time ago before Miles and Saban transformed the west. What has he done recently besides almost getting fired from Texas Tech after getting fired from Ole Miss.

Don't get me wrong, he'll win some games at UC but Dantonio, Kelly, and Jones were all more exciting hires with more potential at that time.

WMR
12-08-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm talking about tuberville not your blind hatred for all things UofL.

Blind hatred for all things UofL.

LOL can I put that on a resume.

joshnky
12-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Blind hatred for all things UofL.

LOL can I put that on a resume.

UofL aside I don't understand the excitement for Tubs. UofL fans were dreading his name three years ago and UK fans felt the same way last month.

dabvu2498
12-08-2012, 03:53 PM
That's was a long time ago before Miles and Saban transformed the west. What has he done recently besides almost getting fired from Texas Tech after getting fired from Ole Miss.

Don't get me wrong, he'll win some games at UC but Dantonio, Kelly, and Jones were all more exciting hires with more potential at that time.

He didn't get fired at Ole Miss.

And I'm not totally sure, but IIRC, his last couple recruiting classes at TTU have been pretty highly rated. 20-17 record, 2 bowl games... That ain't all bad after the dumpster fire that TTU was after the Leach era.

It's also worth noting that Tuberville was 3-2 against Saban while NS was at LSU.

I don't know if Tuberville is great, but saying "he's always been a mediocre coach" isn't exactly correct either.

WMR
12-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Would MUCH rather have my coach be Tommy Tuberville than Charlie Strong. Fact.

PROVEN PERFORMANCE.

Stop trying to imply that I think Charlie Strong is a horrible coach. He is very average. Period.

LoganBuck
12-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Tuberville has been a mess for awhile. This strikes me as hiring the sizzle, not the steak.

joshnky
12-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Would MUCH rather have my coach be Tommy Tuberville than Charlie Strong. Fact.

PROVEN PERFORMANCE.

Stop trying to imply that I think Charlie Strong is a horrible coach. He is very average. Period.

We'll see.

jojo
12-08-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure how tight Petrino and Tuberville are -- apparently Petrino was kind of a snake (shocking, I know) during his time at Auburn and was interviewing for jobs without even a courtesy call to Tuberville.

Now...Gene Chizik was the DC at Auburn under TT. I could definitely see him getting a look for that position at UC.

He was also interviewing or TT's job! (see jet gate). Tommy never got over tht either. It would be a little surreal or TT to hire BP.

That's a rumor I'd need to see happen before giving it any credence whatsoever. And even then, I'd still doubt it was true.

wolfboy
12-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Love the Bucks and Cards fans belittling the hire. Thanks for checking in guys. :rolleyes:

cincrazy
12-08-2012, 11:00 PM
I think it's a good move. Tuberville is a hell of a coach. Texas Tech was just an awful situation to walk into, he probably made a mistake in accepting the job in the first place. He was a very, very good, if not great, coach at Auburn. And Ole Miss.... I mean, who will win there anyways? He's a perfect fit for UC. I think he's a better coach than Butch Jones, and it's not particularly close. If Butch Jones is able to roll out an undefeated team in the SEC, then we'll talk.

UC lost their coach... and found a better one. Not bad for a day's work I'd say.

Brutus
12-09-2012, 04:14 AM
I don't get all the hype about Tuberville. He's coached 17 seasons and only three of them had fewer than 4 losses.

He's a decent coach, and I think this is an OK hire. But that resume doesn't strike me as being worthy of all the superlatives.

19braves77
12-09-2012, 06:41 AM
I predict a 9-3 record next year, 7-5, 6-6, and then 10-2. It was always up and down with Tubs even with Alabama and Georgia were terrible. White it is true that by 2008 all his starters from the 2004 squad were on a NFL roster, he needs to thank his staff for getting those players to Auburn. Good day game coach, knows nothing about offense, and a lazy recruiter.

Matt700wlw
12-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I predict a 9-3 record next year, 7-5, 6-6, and then 10-2. It was always up and down with Tubs even with Alabama and Georgia were terrible. White it is true that by 2008 all his starters from the 2004 squad were on a NFL roster, he needs to thank his staff for getting those players to Auburn. Good day game coach, knows nothing about offense, and a lazy recruiter.

Tech's offense was #2 in the country this season....

jojo
12-09-2012, 11:58 AM
UC fans will either love Tubs or hate him. Most will love him. Regardless he's a large personality who is always good for a quote. He's a very fiery kind of guy, very competitive. I think Cincy will love him especially if he's decided this is his last stop (his wife is from nearby in Indiana).

While at Auburn his teams had a reputation for slobber knocking... you knew you were in for a fight regardless of records, you never came into Jordan-Hare expecting to win, and while you may win, you'd still be feeling the game the following Friday. Players developed in his program too. I'm not sure how dedicated he is to recruiting at this point, but he can take a three star guy and coach him up to be a NFL player. That's perfect for Cincy because I don't care how good a staff recruits, in Ohio, it's getting the guys that OSU doesn't want (its one reason why 10 win seasons with a BIG 10 schedule by OSU just isn't that impressive).

We know that a good coach can win in Cincinnati. Tuberville is a good coach. All that remains to be seen IMHO is if he still has good legs under him and whether he'll implode. But having an AD that is clearly on his side, a general lack of boosters getting in his business, and a media market that frankly is kind of wussy gives this marriage a good chance of working out.

It will be interesting to see how he builds his staff and where Cincy ends up with the Big East seemingly in it's death throws... A solid staff that recruits like it's life depends upon it and a move to a better conference situation could be a huge deal for Cincinnati football.

Also, whatever conference that the Bearcats end up joining needs to demand that they significantly upgrade the football facilities. It's vital for Cincy's long term ability to compete IMHO.

wolfboy
12-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the info. jojo. I believe there will be an announcement re: facilities upgrades in the next week or so.

paintmered
12-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Yes, Whit Babcock mentioned in Friday's presser that we'd be hearing about the facilities plan soon. The Board of Trustees meet on Tuesday, so perhaps we could hear something mid-week.

19braves77
12-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech's offense was #2 in the country this season....

And I promise you that he had very little to do with it.

WVRed
12-09-2012, 03:23 PM
And I promise you that he had very little to do with it.

That would be Neal Brown, and if he doesn't end up with a head coaching job he will likely be the offensive coordinator at Kentucky. He's from Kentucky and they are really making a run at him to run the offense.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

wolfboy
12-10-2012, 09:02 AM
There are a couple of interesting articles in the Enquirer this morning. The first takes a peek inside UC's efforts to lobby for a spot in the ACC:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121209/NEWS0102/312100021/Emails-reveal-UC-s-dilemma?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7C&nclick_check=1

The second confirms that UC will announce plans to upgrade Nippert (and hopefully other facilities):

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121209/SPT0101/312090057/UC-promises-Tuberville-We-re-upgrading?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAG E%7Cp&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

Sea Ray
12-10-2012, 11:41 AM
:confused:

Collaros played 2 full seasons at QB for Jones. (2010 and 2011)

UC also had 2 players drafted in the 2nd round, 1 in the 3rd, and 1 in the 4th last year.

I'd argue that he did fine with those players.

Sea Ray
12-10-2012, 11:48 AM
UC fans will either love Tubs or hate him. Most will love him. Regardless he's a large personality who is always good for a quote. He's a very fiery kind of guy, very competitive. I think Cincy will love him especially if he's decided this is his last stop (his wife is from nearby in Indiana).

While at Auburn his teams had a reputation for slobber knocking... you knew you were in for a fight regardless of records, you never came into Jordan-Hare expecting to win, and while you may win, you'd still be feeling the game the following Friday. Players developed in his program too. I'm not sure how dedicated he is to recruiting at this point, but he can take a three star guy and coach him up to be a NFL player. That's perfect for Cincy because I don't care how good a staff recruits, in Ohio, it's getting the guys that OSU doesn't want (its one reason why 10 win seasons with a BIG 10 schedule by OSU just isn't that impressive).

We know that a good coach can win in Cincinnati. Tuberville is a good coach. All that remains to be seen IMHO is if he still has good legs under him and whether he'll implode. But having an AD that is clearly on his side, a general lack of boosters getting in his business, and a media market that frankly is kind of wussy gives this marriage a good chance of working out.

It will be interesting to see how he builds his staff and where Cincy ends up with the Big East seemingly in it's death throws... A solid staff that recruits like it's life depends upon it and a move to a better conference situation could be a huge deal for Cincinnati football.

Also, whatever conference that the Bearcats end up joining needs to demand that they significantly upgrade the football facilities. It's vital for Cincy's long term ability to compete IMHO.

TT is a class act and I recall his teams were very disciplined and didn't beat themselves. He is a defensive minded coach so I'm particularly interested in who he hires as his Offensive Coordinator.

By the way, can a school interview a guy like TT without getting permission from Texes Tech? It sures seems that way. It's a wild, wild west out there where head coaches are concerned

joshnky
12-10-2012, 11:52 AM
TT is a class act and I recall his teams were very disciplined and didn't beat themselves. He is a defensive minded coach so I'm particularly interested in who he hires as his Offensive Coordinator.

By the way, can a school interview a guy like TT without getting permission from Texes Tech? It sures seems that way. It's a wild, wild west out there where head coaches are concerned

I think common courtesy is to ask permission. During the recent Charlie Strong saga, Jurich made a point of acknowledging the class UT showed throughout the process while taking a shot at Auburn who did not show the same respect.

wolfboy
12-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I think common courtesy is to ask permission. During the recent Charlie Strong saga, Jurich made a point of acknowledging the class UT showed throughout the process while taking a shot at Auburn who did not show the same respect.

Yeah, it's funny but Whit took a jab at an unnamed school for not contacting him ahead of time. I assume it was either Purdue or Colorado. Whit turned around and did the same thing, although I think the circumstances were slightly different.

paintmered
12-10-2012, 11:59 AM

Whit called Texas Tech and left two voice mails with this AD prior to contacting Tommy Tuberville. I suppose he didn't have "permission", but it wasn't due to him not trying. I can't fault him for Texas Tech not answering their phone.

Also, Whit commented during his press conference that Tennessee was the only school to request permission to speak with Butch Jones. He stated that it is rare today but a very important action for him.

jojo
12-10-2012, 12:15 PM

There were some big consequences for how Auburn handled jet gate when Petrino was at Louisville.

Sea Ray
12-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Whit called Texas Tech and left two voice mails with this AD prior to contacting Tommy Tuberville. I suppose he didn't have "permission", but it wasn't due to him not trying. I can't fault him for Texas Tech not answering their phone.

Also, Whit commented during his press conference that Tennessee was the only school to request permission to speak with Butch Jones. He stated that it is rare today but a very important action for him.

My point is why isn't it illegal to discuss a new job with a head coach who's currently under contract to a school? It goes without saying that asking permission is the ethical thing to do but if the school doesn't technically have to grant it, so what? It's bad enough that coaching contracts don't seem to mean much these days but I'd think that a school paying a coach should at least retain the power to approve the dealings, give deadlines etc.

Hoosier Red
12-10-2012, 03:09 PM
My point is why isn't it illegal to discuss a new job with a head coach who's currently under contract to a school? It goes without saying that asking permission is the ethical thing to do but if the school doesn't technically have to grant it, so what? It's bad enough that coaching contracts don't seem to mean much these days but I'd think that a school paying a coach should at least retain the power to approve the dealings, give deadlines etc.

I'd think that would have to be written into the contract. Something along the lines of "If another school calls to discuss coaching situation, you are required to inform the university of said contact within XYZ Hours and have XYZ days to make a decision."

Tack on a big addition to the buyout for failure to follow this procedure.

The only downside is unless every school did it, I don't think many coaches would agree to it.

Sea Ray
12-10-2012, 03:50 PM
I'd think that would have to be written into the contract. Something along the lines of "If another school calls to discuss coaching situation, you are required to inform the university of said contact within XYZ Hours and have XYZ days to make a decision."

Tack on a big addition to the buyout for failure to follow this procedure.

The only downside is unless every school did it, I don't think many coaches would agree to it.

It is that way for professional head coaches like the NFL and MLB. The Red Sox couldn't talk contract with John Farrell unless the Blue Jays OK'd it. I don't see why college contracts are handled differently

camisadelgolf
12-10-2012, 06:06 PM
When I was a teenager, I interviewed for a job at Domino's when I was still employed by Thriftway. It may not have been ethical, but I got a an 80-cent-per-hour raise out of it.

redsfanmia
12-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Is UC football really better off by having an older coach who has made this his destination or a younger hungry coach trying to move up the ladder?

Reds4Life
12-10-2012, 06:47 PM
It is that way for professional head coaches like the NFL and MLB. The Red Sox couldn't talk contract with John Farrell unless the Blue Jays OK'd it. I don't see why college contracts are handled differently

College football is one of the dirtiest businesses on earth. I don't know why they have contracts at all, they aren't honored. Just write them a simple offer letter to outline compensation and have them be an at will employee, they are essentially anyway.

Reds4Life
12-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Is UC football really better off by having an older coach who has made this his destination or a younger hungry coach trying to move up the ladder?

I think at this point in the development of the program, they needed an experienced coach with name recognition. That, combined with planned facility upgrades, demonstrates commitment to football which will help with getting out of the Big East.

Sea Ray
12-11-2012, 08:36 AM
When I was a teenager, I interviewed for a job at Domino's when I was still employed by Thriftway. It may not have been ethical, but I got a an 80-cent-per-hour raise out of it.

Were you signed to a 6 yr contract with Thriftway at the time?

wolfboy
12-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Camisa's foray into free agency was more widely covered than A-Rod's first trip to the dog and pony show.

IslandRed
12-11-2012, 10:07 AM

Because no one's made a rule against it. I guess the NCAA could if the member schools ever decided to vote for it, but every school that loses a coach under contract is a school that's about to swipe someone else's coach, so I guess they figure it evens out.

For what it's worth, most big coaching contracts have buyout provisions on both sides.

Sea Ray
12-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Because no one's made a rule against it. I guess the NCAA could if the member schools ever decided to vote for it, but every school that loses a coach under contract is a school that's about to swipe someone else's coach, so I guess they figure it evens out.

For what it's worth, most big coaching contracts have buyout provisions on both sides.

Correct. All schools want to boast that their coach is signed for anywhere over 4 years so recruits can think that he'll be there for the recruit's full college career but in reality the school wants the ability to fire him in case "a situation" develops

Reds Freak
12-11-2012, 11:58 AM
As stupid as the Big East has become, I'm excited about some of these schools coming to Nippert next year. Purdue, Boise State, UCF, UCONN, Louisville. Doesn't change the fact that UC needs to get out as quick as it can, but that's not a bad home slate.

joshnky
12-11-2012, 02:10 PM
As stupid as the Big East has become, I'm excited about some of these schools coming to Nippert next year. Purdue, Boise State, UCF, UCONN, Louisville. Doesn't change the fact that UC needs to get out as quick as it can, but that's not a bad home slate.

Given that the basketball schools met today to discuss splitting from the Big East that home schedule might not happen.

wolfboy
12-11-2012, 02:25 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2012/12/11/3755044/2013-big-east-football-schedule

The road trip distance for each team's four conference games:

San Diego State: 8,327 miles
Boise State: 7,024
Houston: 6,071
Temple: 5,264
Rutgers: 4,410
UCF: 4,196
Cincinnati: 4,117
UConn: 3,943
Louisville: 3,746
Memphis: 3,650
USF: 3,454
SMU: 3,155

Reds Freak
12-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Given that the basketball schools met today to discuss splitting from the Big East that home schedule might not happen.

Maybe. But if the league would dissolve, would it be immediate leaving all schools scrambling to fill schedules or join a conference? I have to believe next year's schedule is pretty safe.

Slyder
12-11-2012, 02:39 PM

At this point it probably be better if they did. Then all parties involved can sit down and rethink what the goals are. The Big East has been grasping at straws since the 2nd raid (Pitt/Syracuse) to try and keep that sinking ship afloat. I personally would sit down and try to find a palpable 2 conference "best of" scenarios. Maybe try and come up with a football only conference to try and maximize tv dollars while everyone else stays home for the non revenue sports?

The travel will just be ungodly if they try and stretch from Connecticut to San Diego St and Florida to Boise.

joshnky
12-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Maybe. But if the league would dissolve, would it be immediate leaving all schools scrambling to fill schedules or join a conference? I have to believe next year's schedule is pretty safe.

Yes, it seems likely that Maryland and Rutgers will resolve their lawsuits by agreeing to pay close to the full amount if they're allowed to leave in 2013. Then Louisville will move to the ACC using whatever terms Rutgers negotiated. The basketball schools have committed to make a decision prior to the 2013 season and the addition of the new schools. From what I've read they don't have much to lose by splitting given that the new media deal is looking pretty bad.

joshnky
12-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Ultimately, this depends on Maryland's lawsuit. If they're willing to work something out with the ACC to get into the big ten early then realignment will occur in 2013. Given that its in both parties best interest to get this settled I think it will happen.

Slyder
12-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Yes, it seems likely that Maryland and Rutgers will resolve their lawsuits by agreeing to pay close to the full amount if they're allowed to leave in 2013. Then Louisville will move to the ACC using whatever terms Rutgers negotiated. The basketball schools have committed to make a decision prior to the 2013 season and the addition of the new schools. From what I've read they don't have much to lose by splitting given that the new media deal is looking pretty bad.

I said in 03 they should have split and taken a collection of schools from the A-10 and pretty much be right back where they were, while the football schools could set their own agenda.

camisadelgolf
12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Camisa's foray into free agency was more widely covered than A-Rod's first trip to the dog and pony show.
It's true. Gentlemen, hide your wives, sisters, daughters, etc.

camisadelgolf
12-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Six years? No. My point is that it's the system that's broken. Sure, the individuals are handling this unethically (for lack of a better word). But history has shown that people can't be trusted when it comes to money, so if you want to see change, some regulations will need to be enacted.

Sea Ray
12-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Six years? No. My point is that it's the system that's broken. Sure, the individuals are handling this unethically (for lack of a better word). But history has shown that people can't be trusted when it comes to money, so if you want to see change, some regulations will need to be enacted.

My issue is with there being a contract. If you can negotiate and leave anytime you want, what good is a 6 yr contract?

WMR
12-11-2012, 03:57 PM
The only way these contracts have any teeth is if there is a commensurately high buy out.

wolfboy
12-11-2012, 04:01 PM
The only way these contracts have any teeth is if there is a commensurately high buy out.

I don't think it would matter. Not exactly apples to apples, but did a fifty million dollar buyout dissuade Maryland from leaving the ACC. Also, at some point, I think raising the buyout to an unreasonably high amount borders on an unconscionable liquidated damages clause.

jojo
12-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Tubs might be targeting Eddie Gran (FSU associate head coach) as his offensive coordinator....

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Sources-indicate-that-Eddie-Gran-will-not-return-to-FSU-in-2013-106167

Jimbo Fisher is becoming a victim of his own success this offseason as it seems everyone is poaching his coaching staff.

Sea Ray
12-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Didn't UC run a 4-3 on defense this year? U-Tenn tried to change to a 3-4 with miserable results this year. I'm thinking that Butch will switch them back to a 4-3. Please straighten me out here, thanks

wolfboy
12-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Tubs might be targeting Eddie Gran (FSU associate head coach) as his offensive coordinator....

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Sources-indicate-that-Eddie-Gran-will-not-return-to-FSU-in-2013-106167

Jimbo Fisher is becoming a victim of his own success this offseason as it seems everyone is poaching his coaching staff.

I would love to see Gran added to the staff. He's a beast of a recruiter.

nmculbreth
12-11-2012, 05:02 PM
I said in 03 they should have split and taken a collection of schools from the A-10 and pretty much be right back where they were, while the football schools could set their own agenda.

The Big East has been good to UC but the conference as devised makes very little sense, particularly after the rash of defections and new acquisitions.

Quite simply the best interests of the basketball only schools and the football schools are not remotely similar and the need to balance the needs of both factions has hurt the Big East as the realignment process has played out. If the Big East had been more proactive in the realignment process I don't think it would have found itself on the verge of extinction, but from all reports the basketball schools weren't keen on expansion and the result is the predicament the Big East finds itself in today.

That being I don't think the complaints of the basketball school are unfounded; they're watching the value of their brand being diluted, they're expected to take less money and they're supposed to shoulder the costs associated with greater travel.

jojo
12-11-2012, 05:35 PM
I would love to see Gran added to the staff. He's a beast of a recruiter.

Ya, he would be a good hire. He has Auburn ties so it would have been good to see him come back to Auburn but I think there is a decent chance he gets a HC offer.

IslandRed
12-11-2012, 06:45 PM
As a rookie playcaller, it's hard to predict how Gran will do, but he's earned a shot somewhere. Very good recruiter and coach. I think his name's in the hat for the Arkansas State HC job too.

Many of my fellow FSU people are panicking at the loss of Stoops/Eliot/Gran, but when a coach loads his staff with up-and-comers, they get promotions and have to be replaced now and then. Bowden had such stability on his staff (to the program's benefit for a long time, and towards the end to its detriment) that I think our fan base has forgotten this is how college football usually works.

wolfboy
12-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Ya, he would be a good hire. He has Auburn ties so it would have been good to see him come back to Auburn but I think there is a decent chance he gets a HC offer.

Looks like Brian Harsin is going to land the Arkansas State HC job, so there's a good possibility Gran comes to UC. I've also read that UC might get Sam Pittman from TN as an OL coach. Also a great get if true.

wolfboy
12-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Also, for those of you who have called this a 'meh" hire, this is the exact reason why it's a great get for UC. In the past, the model has been to grab the best MAC coach, or possibly the best coordinator they can find. While that's worked just fine, those guys never had the prestige to grab top recruiters and assistant coaches. UC has never been able to snap out of the three star recruit territory, but this might push them over the hump. Kelly was right on the cusp of getting the program there, then he went to ND. For a program that's lacked national prestige despite ample on field success, this is exactly the type of hire they needed.

kaldaniels
12-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I gotta think this will have an effect on in-state recruiting for Ohio State. Obviously the Buckeyes are the big dog, but Tuberville does bring a bit of gravitas to UC.

Do you guys think this is Tubs final destination, or a stepping stone? Cause if he has a great season or two, you know his name will be a hot one in the coaching rumors.

wolfboy
12-12-2012, 09:17 AM
I gotta think this will have an effect on in-state recruiting for Ohio State. Obviously the Buckeyes are the big dog, but Tuberville does bring a bit of gravitas to UC.

Do you guys think this is Tubs final destination, or a stepping stone? Cause if he has a great season or two, you know his name will be a hot one in the coaching rumors.

I don't think it affects OSU that much to be honest. Most of the guys being mentioned as assistants for TT are heavy recruiters in the South. Maybe a player here or there that's not crucially important to OSU. I see the real impact in OH with second tier type B1G programs and someone like BC from the ACC. It might be harder to poach the guys OSU isn't going after.

As to whether or not it's his last destination, who knows? I hope his name is at the top of every coaching list across the country. That will mean he's maximized the opportunity at UC. If it can keep the program successful and boost donations to the athletic program, then what's not to like? That being said, I think he's older and I have hope this turns out like Solich at OU. Time will tell.

jojo
12-12-2012, 11:03 AM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/tommy_tuberville_left_recruits.html

Tubs really left in a hurry.

wolfboy
12-12-2012, 11:14 AM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/tommy_tuberville_left_recruits.html

Tubs really left in a hurry.

Did he stick them with the tab?

Sea Ray
12-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Who knows what really happened. That story was updated a couple hours ago:

Update (1 p.m.): The University of Cincinnati told SB Nation that Tuberville leaving the dinner was not due talking any contact with Cincinnati officials.

"Those reports are inaccurate," said a university spokesperson. "There was no contact between Coach Tuberville and Cincinnati prior to Saturday morning. Coach said he was at the dinner, talked with everyone, ate and went home."

wolfboy
12-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Who knows what really happened. That story was updated a couple hours ago:

Yeah. I meant to add that to my prior post. This dinner occurred on Friday night, before Whit even made his initial phone call to TT. Moreover, it's not uncommon for a HC to show up at a recruiting dinner with multiple assistant coaches, then leave the evening to the ACs.

wolfboy
12-12-2012, 03:16 PM
FWIW, the twitterverse is reporting that Gran will become OC.

Z-Fly
12-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Did anyone else see Mardy Gilyard on MNF? I really miss that Pike/Gilyard combo.

Revering4Blue
12-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Cincinnati quarterback Brendon Kay has been granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA, the school announced Monday.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8756662/cincinnati-bearcats-qb-brendon-kay-granted-sixth-year-eligibility

Z-Fly
12-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Cincinnati quarterback Brendon Kay has been granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA, the school announced Monday.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8756662/cincinnati-bearcats-qb-brendon-kay-granted-sixth-year-eligibility

Is it safe to say that he will be the starter next year?

dougdirt
12-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Is it safe to say that he will be the starter next year?

No, I don't think it is all that safe. There is a reason that he is going to be a 6th year player with a handful of games started. You can settle for him and be ok, but you strive for better.

Caveat Emperor
12-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Allegedly the design for Nippert, post renovation:

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/74/760/760074.jpg

My reaction: underwhelmed.

dougdirt
12-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Seriously? What does that add to the stadium?

KronoRed
12-18-2012, 03:17 AM
Is the only difference more sky boxes and some seats in front of them?

Seems a bit of a waste.

Caveat Emperor
12-18-2012, 08:26 AM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121218/SPT0101/312170156

A renovation of Nippert Stadium could add as many as 28 elevated private suites and 41 loge boxes for up to $70 million, University of Cincinnati leaders are expected to announce today.

The addition of a pavilion on the western side of the on-campus stadium would create about 1,800 seats that UC hopes would create millions of dollars in new revenue.

Apparently, the money is also paying to renovate the concourses around the stadium -- including the concession areas and restrooms (which do desperately need it).

Still, seems like an awful lot of cash for not a lot of potential ROI (even factoring in the increased cost of luxury suites and "premium" tickets).

Redlegs23
12-18-2012, 11:26 AM
I think the design is awesome. Keep in mind the design is more about adding revenue seats than it is about adding general admission seats. I believe UC charges about $35k per year for the basketball suites, so adding 28 suites and 41 loge boxes will generate significant revenue. Plus the expansion of the councourses and restrooms are an expensive reno that costs a lot without adding much to the aesthetics. Lastly, it's not like they're building this in the middle of a cornfield. Constructing something like this with the limited space and its' difficult access will add significantly to the cost.

Redlegs23
12-18-2012, 11:30 AM

Apparently, the money is also paying to renovate the concourses around the stadium -- including the concession areas and restrooms (which do desperately need it).

Still, seems like an awful lot of cash for not a lot of potential ROI (even factoring in the increased cost of luxury suites and "premium" tickets).

The ultimate ROI that they are banking on is a call up to a big money conference. The ACC told them what needed to be done and why Louisville was picked over them, and UC is doing something about it. Whether or not the luxury boxes pay for themselves is not the deciding factor in the decision to go forward with the reno or not.

Sea Ray
12-18-2012, 11:41 AM
The ultimate ROI that they are banking on is a call up to a big money conference. The ACC told them what needed to be done and why Louisville was picked over them, and UC is doing something about it. Whether or not the luxury boxes pay for themselves is not the deciding factor in the decision to go forward with the reno or not.

Why would the ACC care about luxury box revenue? Is that shared with the league?

wolfboy
12-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Revenue

Boston Red
12-18-2012, 12:11 PM

From the looks of the picture, a lot of visiting fans. Who is visiting in that picture, Akron?

Caveat Emperor
12-18-2012, 12:19 PM
From the looks of the picture, a lot of visiting fans. Who is visiting in that picture, Akron?

Looks like WVU, but they've got the visting section occupying what's currently the student seating at Nippert.

It'll be interesting to hear the presser, because I'm wondering where the $60m in cost is coming from. That seems like an awful lot of cash to just knock down a pressbox and add a suite deck to the visiting sideline.

Over at Bearcat Banter, the discussion is that the new trend should be towards improving the gameday experience to compete with 1080P home theaters, etc. The goal shouldn't be to throw tons of seats in and try to pack more people into a smaller area but, rather, to offer a better experience that draws the 35-40k hardcore UC fans to the game every week.

Redlegs23
12-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Why would the ACC care about luxury box revenue? Is that shared with the league?

That's not what I meant. Two of the reasons the ACC chose Louisville over UC is due to their facilities being newer and more equipped than UC's, and also because of their athletic department's revenue. UC is addressing some of those items with this upgrade. They are showing the ACC they are serious about investing in their football program to make it "big-time", and they are going to generate more revenue for their athletics department. The ACC wants schools that will prove that they are serious about competing on the highest level, and Louisville has clearly shown that through their investments in athletics over the past decade. UC is taking steps towards showing that they are serious about competing on the highest level right now.

HotCorner
12-18-2012, 02:29 PM
The Bearcats helmet for the Belk Bowl ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-WNOXXCEAA_wOA.png:medium

dougdirt
12-18-2012, 02:32 PM
I do really like the helmets.

The stadium, meh. If it gets them a real conference invite, then it works.

wolfboy
12-18-2012, 03:06 PM
I do really like the helmets.

The stadium, meh. If it gets them a real conference invite, then it works.

I like it. The conference invite part is critical though. I think the premium seat revenue model works, but how well does it work when you have Temple, Memphis, and Tulane on the schedule every season?

Caveat Emperor
12-18-2012, 04:36 PM
I like it. The conference invite part is critical though. I think the premium seat revenue model works, but how well does it work when you have Temple, Memphis, and Tulane on the schedule every season?

Obviously you scale prices to match product -- but, Toeldo manages to sell luxury boxes playing a "who cares" MAC schedule, so there should be at least some model that will work for pricing on games against similarly "who cares" opponents.

The good news for UC is that they'll move a lot of product solely on people wanting to get in on the ground floor and be the first people to own a box or purchase premium seating. If they're smart, they'll offer the boxes on 5-10yr leases, which will buy them time to sort the conference situation out before the leases come up for renewal.

paintmered
12-18-2012, 05:05 PM

Based on some rough calculations, we're talking an extra $5 million per year for these additions. By itself, you could argue the project isn't worthwhile. But consider this as an entry fee into a new conference and is worth an additional $15 million per year.

I do wish they will extend the club seating to the full-length of the pavilion prior to finalizing the plans (assuming they can do so within structural and code limitations).

wolfboy
12-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Obviously you scale prices to match product -- but, Toeldo manages to sell luxury boxes playing a "who cares" MAC schedule, so there should be at least some model that will work for pricing on games against similarly "who cares" opponents.

The good news for UC is that they'll move a lot of product solely on people wanting to get in on the ground floor and be the first people to own a box or purchase premium seating. If they're smart, they'll offer the boxes on 5-10yr leases, which will buy them time to sort the conference situation out before the leases come up for renewal.

I won't pretend to act like I know the situation in Toledo very well, but it seems to me that there isn't a whole lot of competition for luxury suites. You have the Rockets and.......? The Mud Hens? That's in a metro area with a population of roughly 600k. By contrast, Cincinnati has tremendous competition in the luxury suite market. Aside from the Bearcats, corporate buyers can get nice luxury boxes with the Bengals, Reds, and even Xavier basketball.

Stray
12-27-2012, 10:26 PM
That was a fun game. Duke went from about to go up a touchdown with 2 minutes left in the game to losing by 2 touchdowns.

Great way to end the year.

Sea Ray
12-28-2012, 08:13 AM
That was a fun game. Duke went from about to go up a touchdown with 2 minutes left in the game to losing by 2 touchdowns.

Great way to end the year.

Very exciting while listening on the radio. Unfortunately I couldn't watch it on TV because the restaurant I was at was closing...:(

joshnky
12-31-2012, 02:53 PM

Boise just announced that they're staying in the MWC. I don't see how the big east will exist next season.

Reds Freak
12-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Boise just announced that they're staying in the MWC. I don't see how the big east will exist next season.

Haha, you were right. What a mess...

dabvu2498
01-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Tommy Tuberville... Making friends...

http://fridaynightohio.com/news/sunday-special-cincinnati-massillon-staffs-not-getting-along

SeeinRed
01-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Tommy Tuberville... Making friends...

http://fridaynightohio.com/news/sunday-special-cincinnati-massillon-staffs-not-getting-along

Meh, its hard for me to worry about this one. Tommy Tuberville and Co. will have no problem getting recruits IMO. If one coach isn't happy with him because he may have pulled a scholarship offer then fine. Honestly, there has to be something else to that. If memory serves, Kempt was reported to have reopened his recruitment really early in the process. He claims to have decommitted only after his offer was pulled, which may even be technically true, but he was reportedly already planning to visit other schools, including Tennessee, before his official "decommitment." It is no suprise that Kempt would reopen his recruitment to include the school where Jones, and more importantly Kempt's brother, ended up. The coaches obviously felt that he would not end up at UC, so they moved on to other QB targets. Something tells me this may be a coach looking for attention or a reason to be mad at UC.

19braves77
01-11-2013, 01:38 AM
Tubs hasnt changed:

Within the last couple of months, new Cincinnati coach Tommy Tuberville has been accused of going postal on an assistant coach, leaving Texas Tech recruits in the middle of dinner to accept a new job, and now running off longtime recruits at Cincy (AP)

Pebblebrook High School defensive back Demetrius Monday de-committed from Cincinnati on Thursday after never hearing from new coach Tommy Tuberville.

“I think it’s messed up,” his father, Bryant Monday, told the AJC. “You wait until a few weeks before signing day to say something? They could have told us a month ago.

“Now we’re left with less than a month until signing day to figure something out. He had other scholarship offers but he hasn’t talked to other coaches in six months … since he committed to Cincinnati on July 25.

“It’s really disappointing.”

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Monday said he committed to Cincinnati over Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Ball State, Ohio and Georgia State, among others, last summer. Tuberville was hired by Cincinnati on Dec. 8. After not hearing from the new staff, the elder Monday finally called up the football offices this week.

“They told us to ‘look other places,’” Monday said. “I’m in Los Angeles on vacation, and I just got the bad news.

“The thing is, we’ve talked to some other kids committed to Cincinnati. They say the same thing, that they haven’t heard from the staff. Basically (Tuberville) isn’t calling anybody, he’s trying to get the kids to de-commit on their own.

“It’s a bad situation.”

He did this at Auburn and Texas Tech.

Sea Ray
01-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Tubs hasnt changed:

Within the last couple of months, new Cincinnati coach Tommy Tuberville has been accused of going postal on an assistant coach, leaving Texas Tech recruits in the middle of dinner to accept a new job, and now running off longtime recruits at Cincy (AP)

Pebblebrook High School defensive back Demetrius Monday de-committed from Cincinnati on Thursday after never hearing from new coach Tommy Tuberville.

“I think it’s messed up,” his father, Bryant Monday, told the AJC. “You wait until a few weeks before signing day to say something? They could have told us a month ago.

“Now we’re left with less than a month until signing day to figure something out. He had other scholarship offers but he hasn’t talked to other coaches in six months … since he committed to Cincinnati on July 25.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Monday said he committed to Cincinnati over Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Ball State, Ohio and Georgia State, among others, last summer. Tuberville was hired by Cincinnati on Dec. 8. After not hearing from the new staff, the elder Monday finally called up the football offices this week.

“They told us to ‘look other places,’” Monday said. “I’m in Los Angeles on vacation, and I just got the bad news.

“The thing is, we’ve talked to some other kids committed to Cincinnati. They say the same thing, that they haven’t heard from the staff. Basically (Tuberville) isn’t calling anybody, he’s trying to get the kids to de-commit on their own.

“It’s a bad situation.”

Sounds like Tuberville isn't interested in this kid. Just because Butch was doesn't mean this administration is, so what's the problem?

wolfboy
01-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Tubs hasnt changed:

“It’s a bad situation.”

I've heard no reports of him of "going postal" on an assistant coach; he did not leave dinner to accept another job as he wasn't even contacted by Whit until the next day; and, coaches don't extend offers to the previous coach's recruits ALL THE TIME.

IslandRed
01-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Sounds like Tuberville isn't interested in this kid. Just because Butch was doesn't mean this administration is, so what's the problem?

It's the protocol of the thing. Everyone understands that a new staff may not want to sign everyone the old staff had offered. But if a kid has committed to the school, it's good form for the new staff to let him know he needs to look elsewhere -- as in, actually tell him, not just wait until he infers it from the lack of communication. Signing Day is fast approaching, he'll have to find a spot somewhere, take visits etc.

More to the point, it's not a good idea to tick off high school coaches in your own state that are a frequent source of major-college prospects.

medford
01-11-2013, 09:35 AM
as island red said, its poor form.

Towards the end of his tenure, many of the HS coaches around the state began to resent John Cooper and it showed in his instate recruiting. One of the early things that Tressel was able to accomplish (something he already had from his Youngstown St days) was to strengthen the bond b/w Ohio State and HS coaches around the state. Tressell became very good at putting up a border around the state and lost very few in-state recruits that he wanted.

Tuberville has the right to offer scholarships as he sees fit, and I think most HS coaches would understand if he told one of their kids that there was no longer a place for that kid at UC. However, by slow playing it and offering up no contact the affected HS coaches, and those that he talks to are going to have reservations about recommending UC/Tubberville to future kids/parents.

BillDoran
01-11-2013, 09:35 AM
I've heard no reports of him of "going postal" on an assistant coach; he did not leave dinner to accept another job as he wasn't even contacted by Whit until the next day; and, coaches don't extend offers to the previous coach's recruits ALL THE TIME.

While I do think the reaction is overblown, I'm pretty sure this is what the previous post/ article was referring to in "going postal."

Watch Texas Tech Coach Tommy Tuberville slap an assistant [video] (http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/11/sports/la-sp-sn-tommy-tuberville-slaps-assistant-20121111)

wolfboy
01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
While I do think the reaction is overblown, I'm pretty sure this is what the previous post/ article was referring to in "going postal."

Watch Texas Tech Coach Tommy Tuberville slap an assistant [video] (http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/11/sports/la-sp-sn-tommy-tuberville-slaps-assistant-20121111)

Ahh. The snippet seemed to infer that TT had done this again while at Cincinnati.

wolfboy
01-11-2013, 09:40 AM
It's the protocol of the thing. Everyone understands that a new staff may not want to sign everyone the old staff had offered. But if a kid has committed to the school, it's good form for the new staff to let him know he needs to look elsewhere -- as in, actually tell him, not just wait until he infers it from the lack of communication. Signing Day is fast approaching, he'll have to find a spot somewhere, take visits etc.

More to the point, it's not a good idea to tick off high school coaches in your own state that are a frequent source of major-college prospects.

You're right. A few phone calls could have gone a long way in this situation.

jojo
01-11-2013, 04:51 PM
as island red said, its poor form.

Towards the end of his tenure, many of the HS coaches around the state began to resent John Cooper and it showed in his instate recruiting. One of the early things that Tressel was able to accomplish (something he already had from his Youngstown St days) was to strengthen the bond b/w Ohio State and HS coaches around the state. Tressell became very good at putting up a border around the state and lost very few in-state recruits that he wanted.

Tuberville has the right to offer scholarships as he sees fit, and I think most HS coaches would understand if he told one of their kids that there was no longer a place for that kid at UC. However, by slow playing it and offering up no contact the affected HS coaches, and those that he talks to are going to have reservations about recommending UC/Tubberville to future kids/parents.

Recruiting is all about establishing relationships.

Communication is key to credibility.

TT has not been very graceful in the outset and he should absolutely know better.

paintmered
01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Here's the other side of the story:

http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Article/Tommy-Tuberville-An-Unfair-Target-110642

Reds4Life
01-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Yup. New coach, new system, offers can be pulled. It happens all the time, it's nothing new. SEC teams pully schollys of current players to make room for better players

jojo
01-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Yup. New coach, new system, offers can be pulled. It happens all the time, it's nothing new. SEC teams pully schollys of current players to make room for better players

Not really sure what the SEC has to do with TT failing communication 101....

Reds4Life
01-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Don't act like this is something new, it's not. It's rampant, especially in the SEC, which commits far worse acts of "communication" on a constant basis.

paintmered
01-11-2013, 05:24 PM

Or maybe he's not allowed to talk to them...

College coaches are not permitted to talk about prospects until they have signed their letter of intent so speaking with Coach Tuberville was not an option.

jojo
01-11-2013, 05:26 PM

That in no way prevents effective, honest communication, the lack of which is a common thread through the several snafus being talked about concerning TT's first weeks.

jojo
01-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Don't act like this is something new, it's not. It's rampant, especially in the SEC, which commits far worse acts of "communication" on a constant basis.

I think you're missing the point. These kinds of stories are the antithesis of effective recruiting. The paint TT as acting like a bull in a China shop which is not something he has the luxury of being able to afford given the waters he has to recruit within....

The best recruiting staffs in the SEC do not conduct their business like you're characterizing. This isn't a "SEC fan beating his chest thing". It's a "you can't conduct your business like that and be a great recruiting staff" thing.

LoganBuck
01-11-2013, 05:47 PM
I think you're missing the point. These kinds of stories are the antithesis of effective recruiting. The paint TT as acting like a bull in a China shop which is not something he has the luxury of being able to afford given the waters he has to recruit within....

The best recruiting staffs in the SEC do not conduct their business like you're characterizing. This isn't a "SEC fan beating his chest thing". It's a "you can't conduct your business like that and be a great recruiting staff" thing.

Exactly, Urban Meyer honored all commitments when he came in at tOSU. You don't want to alienate schools like Massilon.

WMR
01-11-2013, 05:53 PM
I think it's perfectly fine if a new staff decides certain commits don't fit into their long-term plans. There have been a handful of recruits who had committed to UK who have been told to look elsewhere by new HC Stoops. You gotta tell the kids, though. Just ignoring them until they get the hint and decommit on their own is not the right way to do business.

IslandRed
01-13-2013, 07:51 PM

That rule is about discussing a player's recruitment with the media. Totally separate from the rules involving coach-prospect contact.

For what it's worth, I think the whole dinner story was bogus too. But the other thing, they messed up a bit. A handful of phone calls' worth of common courtesy would have saved them the dust-up. You can bet the kids they wanted to keep heard from them ASAP.

WDE
01-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Enjoy Tubs Cincy fans. When he wants to, he can be a dang coach. We only fired him when he decided to slack off in recruiting and not care enough to have a decent season. But in his glory days from 04-06, he was one of the best coaches in CFB. Arguably a top 5 coach in AU history. Hope he brings you guys success. :beerme: