PDA

View Full Version : 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Pages : [1] 2

wolfboy
09-05-2012, 10:30 AM
I know there are UC football fans on Redszone, but no official thread. Well, after seeing a three page thread dedicated to UK Football (kudos to UK fans), I'm starting one!

Kickoff is this Thursday against Pitt at Nippert. Pitt was the victim of a big upset in their opener against Youngstown State; however, the consensus is that Pitt isn't that bad. The are two big questions in my mind about this game: (i) whether the Bearcats can contain Ray Graham, who is returning from an ACL tear; and, (ii) whether Munchie is the answer at QB. There's no question UC lost a lot of talent from last year's squad, but they could still put together a great season. I think this season will be a big challenge for Butch Jones. Unfortunately, if he exceeds expectations, we may not see him around next season.

What does everyone else think about this 2012 season? I can't make it to the game Thursday evening. Is anyone else going?

Boston Red
09-05-2012, 10:50 AM
This is one of three big games this weekend for the Big East against the present/future ACC. Temple hosting Maryland and UConn hosting NC State are the other two. It's critically important for the Big East to continue besting the ACC on the field. It would be really nice to have Pitt and Cuse finish last and second last in the conference this year (and it's certainly possible).

Sea Ray
09-05-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm worried about Munchie. Can he throw enough to keep himself from getting crushed while running the ball too much? Do they have anything behind him if he fails?

wolfboy
09-05-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm worried about Munchie. Can he throw enough to keep himself from getting crushed while running the ball too much? Do they have anything behind him if he fails?

Brendon Kay wouldn't be a terrible alternative. He has the skills to be a decent D1 quarterback, but Munchie has a lot more in game experience. I think Munchie has the raw talent to succeed, but he hadn't quite put it all together by the end of last season. This season? TBD. He needs to be more comfortable in the pocket, and, IMHO, the coaching staff needs to take better advantage of his legs.

Sea Ray
09-05-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm looking forward to watching the game tomorrow night and see what they've got this year

wolfboy
09-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm looking forward to watching the game tomorrow night and see what they've got this year

I really wanted to go to the game, but I have an event to attend. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch the second half.

Sea Ray
09-05-2012, 11:35 AM
I really wanted to go to the game, but I have an event to attend. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch the second half.

Are they expecting a sellout?

wolfboy
09-05-2012, 11:38 AM
This is one of three big games this weekend for the Big East against the present/future ACC. Temple hosting Maryland and UConn hosting NC State are the other two. It's critically important for the Big East to continue besting the ACC on the field. It would be really nice to have Pitt and Cuse finish last and second last in the conference this year (and it's certainly possible).

While I think beating the ACC on the field is important, it would be an even bigger coup if the Big East is able to get a better television contract than the ACC. I think that's clearly the goal of Aresco, the new BE commish.

wolfboy
09-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Are they expecting a sellout?

Not sure. I saw this on another message board:

Greg Harrell ‏@Cats_Tix_Greg

@tdawgcincy Will need to finish strong. 101, 201, 213-215 are sold out. Those are usually the main seats leftover. That's good news.

wolfboy
09-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Oh, and I heard Pitt returned their allotment after selling around 80 of 3,000 tickets. :lol:

Boston Red
09-05-2012, 12:04 PM
While I think beating the ACC on the field is important, it would be an even bigger coup if the Big East is able to get a better television contract than the ACC. I think that's clearly the goal of Aresco, the new BE commish.

I think it's all part of the same thing. A bad product is harder to sell.

Boston Red
09-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Oh, and I heard Pitt returned their allotment after selling around 80 of 3,000 tickets. :lol:

The ACC's getting an all-around gem there. From the did you know file: in 2011-12, Pitt won one less Big East title than Loyola (MD).

wolfboy
09-05-2012, 01:28 PM
I think it's all part of the same thing. A bad product is harder to sell.

Yeah, I guess I meant in the short term. I'd love to trample all over Pitt and 'Cuse this year (and every year), but these contract negotiations are beyond critical for the future of the Big East.

paintmered
09-05-2012, 06:10 PM

Let's not exaggerate. They sold 89.

I'll be there. Word is that the students gobbled up many of the returned tickets and will be out in force. It should be a fun environment.

Oh, and as a reminder to those going to the game: wear black.

SeeinRed
09-05-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm excited to see how UC does this year. My main concern is not with the team though, it is with fan support. If fan support is strong, I think Butch is in it for the long haul. If UC still struggles with support, I think it makes it very unlikely that Butch would be willing to stick it out. Honestly, why should he? Butch reportedly turned down some very good offers last year because he believed he could build this program and gain the fan support. Not so sure he would be willing to do the same again this time around.

Sea Ray
09-06-2012, 09:23 AM
As UC fans we can't get caught up in worrying ourselves about coaches leaving. If they do (and they will), we'll be a prime place for the next up and comer. There will always be jobs better than UC. That will not change. If we're being picked over by other programs then that means UC is playing well. I much prefer that to the days of Tony Mason when our coaches stayed

Redlegs23
09-06-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm fired up for tonight's game. My expectations are tempered based on the quantity and quality of the players we lost, but there is enough talent on this roster to surprise some people and make a run at it. Obviously a lot of that rides on Munchie's shoulders. A little nervous about our d-line and linebackers also.

texasdave
09-06-2012, 01:29 PM
I feel as though the football program could use a new tradition. So I am suggesting that in the fourth quarter when the clock ticks down to the 4:20 mark everybody stand up and yell "Munchie" :)

camisadelgolf
09-06-2012, 04:02 PM
I feel as though the football program could use a new tradition. So I am suggesting that in the fourth quarter when the clock ticks down to the 4:20 mark everybody stand up and yell "Munchie" :)
http://newagexbrainwash.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/stoner-meme.jpg

wolfboy
09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
As UC fans we can't get caught up in worrying ourselves about coaches leaving. If they do (and they will), we'll be a prime place for the next up and comer. There will always be jobs better than UC. That will not change. If we're being picked over by other programs then that means UC is playing well. I much prefer that to the days of Tony Mason when our coaches stayed

I agree. There are very few schools in NCAA football that are immune to coaches jumping ship for a "better opportunity." Just look at the resumes of the coaches of some of the top teams. Nick Saban went from the Big 10 to the SEC to the NFL and back to the SEC. We've seen Urban Meyer go from the SEC to the B1G. Lane Kiffin went from the NFL to the SEC to the Pac-10. UC is much more prone to the coaching carousel than most coaches, and that will always be the case until there's greater alumni support coupled with greater football spending by the university. Keeping coaches is a problem at UC, but it's a problem everywhere. All you can do is create a next coach in environment.

SeeinRed
09-06-2012, 06:40 PM
I agree. There are very few schools in NCAA football that are immune to coaches jumping ship for a "better opportunity." Just look at the resumes of the coaches of some of the top teams. Nick Saban went from the Big 10 to the SEC to the NFL and back to the SEC. We've seen Urban Meyer go from the SEC to the B1G. Lane Kiffin went from the NFL to the SEC to the Pac-10. UC is much more prone to the coaching carousel than most coaches, and that will always be the case until there's greater alumni support coupled with greater football spending by the university. Keeping coaches is a problem at UC, but it's a problem everywhere. All you can do is create a next coach in environment.

This is true to an extent, but no program can survive at this level with constant turnover. If UC fans would pack Nippert every game, no matter the opponent or the current state of the team, it would be much easier to create some stability. If a coach still decided to leave, I would have no problem with it. We did our best as UC fans. The problem to me is that UC fans don't always show up when they should. By that, I mean if everyone who complains about how UC can't keep coaches would show up to a game or two, UC might fare much better in keeping them. Same on the basketball side of things.

While I can agree you shouldn't worry about a coach leaving, that doesn't mean you shouldn't worry that fans and the school aren't doing everything possible to make it harder for them to leave. Coach Jones won't be here forever, but any effort UC and fans are able to make that can extend his stay should be made. I'm not so sure fans are holding up their end of the bargain sometimes.

texasdave
09-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Bearcats force a three and out and then on their first play from scrimmage George Winn takes it 58 yards to the house. 7 zip Bearcats.

SeeinRed
09-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Is UC really good, or is Pitt really bad? I find myself not really caring right now. What a game so far for UC.

texasdave
09-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Next Pitt possession ends in a quarterback fumble after being sacked by Stewart. Several plays later Munchie connects with Abernathy on a 15-yard TD. 14-0.

wolfboy
09-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Is it just me or does David Pollack look insanely skinny. He looks nothing like a former NFL linebacker.

wolfboy
09-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Nice INT by Greg Blair in the endzone. He's looked pretty good tonight.

wolfboy
09-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Is UC really good, or is Pitt really bad? I find myself not really caring right now. What a game so far for UC.

After watching the first half, I feel confident in saying that Pitt is that bad. Sunseri is a terrible quarterback.

texasdave
09-06-2012, 09:47 PM
17-0 Bearcats at the half. Two Pitt turnovers to none for Cincy.

Sea Ray
09-06-2012, 09:48 PM
After watching the first half, I feel confident in saying that Pitt is that bad. Sunseri is a terrible quarterback.

I agree. Their defense is horrible too. Terrible tackling. The ACC is getting a real stinker of a team here. But that's not curtailing my enjoyment of it one bit

wolfboy
09-06-2012, 10:22 PM
This team can run.

texasdave
09-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Panthers gets a field goal and it takes the 'Cats two plays to answer. Munchie rushes for 77 yards. George Winn gets his second touchdown from nine yards out. 24-3.

camisadelgolf
09-06-2012, 11:05 PM
It's not everyday you see a 99-yard drive. UC is looking decent, and Pitt is looking bad.

wolfboy
09-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Really nice win for UC. RDA4? Yes, please.

Stray
09-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Good start to the season. Man Pitt is really bad though.

dougdirt
09-07-2012, 12:55 AM
That was fun. Just wish I were in Cincinnati to have seen it in person.

Caveat Emperor
09-07-2012, 01:47 AM
Great atmosphere at Nippert tonight.

Pitt is a trainwreck of a team, though. Wouldn't read too much into any of this.

wolfboy
09-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Great atmosphere at Nippert tonight.

Pitt is a trainwreck of a team, though. Wouldn't read too much into any of this.

I agree, but for a team that is reloading, they looked pretty darn good.

swaisuc
09-07-2012, 10:00 AM
No need to wonder if UC played great or Pitt played awful. When the domination is that severe, both happened.

wolfboy
09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
No need to wonder if UC played great or Pitt played awful. When the domination is that severe, both happened.

Pitt lost to Youngstown State by two touchdowns. Pitt lost to UC by three touchdowns and a field goal.

So what do we know after the first game? We are definitely better than Pitt and probably better than Youngstown State.

Boss-Hog
09-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Pitt lost to Youngstown State by two touchdowns. Pitt lost to UC by three touchdowns and a field goal.

So what do we know after the first game? We are definitely better than Pitt and probably better than Youngstown State.

It might as well have been four touchdowns and a field goal because Pitt's TD was definitely in garbage time.

texasdave
09-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Pitt had a game under their belts. Cincinnati didn't. I once read the biggest improvement a team makes is between weeks one and two. If that means anything I have no idea. :laugh:

wolfboy
09-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Pitt had a game under their belts. Cincinnati didn't. I once read the biggest improvement a team makes is between weeks one and two. If that means anything I have no idea. :laugh:

I'm glad as heck UC stomped Pitt, but Pitt fans deserve better than what they've had to witness the past few years.

dougdirt
09-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Lost votes in the AP poll.....

Sea Ray
09-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Lost votes in the AP poll.....

That must be because they had to save some votes for teams like my Tenn Vols for beating Ga St...:devil:

Sea Ray
09-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Man Pitt is really bad though.

Tell that to Va Tech.

Apparently UC still has some work to do with the voters as they're at 34th in this week's poll:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-09-16/college-football-rankings-top-25-ap-poll-alabama-lsu-usc-notre-dame-week-4

Notice that they're beneath Va Tech. Go figure that one out!

wolfboy
09-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Tell that to Va Tech.

Apparently UC still has some work to do with the voters as they're at 34th in this week's poll:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-09-16/college-football-rankings-top-25-ap-poll-alabama-lsu-usc-notre-dame-week-4

Notice that they're beneath Va Tech. Go figure that one out!

I guess that will all get sorted out in their next game.

Sea Ray
09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
I guess that will all get sorted out in their next game.

Yeah, that's the beauty of NCAA football. It does usually get sorted out eventually.

BTW, you and I can't be the only UC football fans, can we??? :thumbup:

dougdirt
09-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Yeah, that's the beauty of NCAA football. It does usually get sorted out eventually.

No, you aren't.

Sea Ray
09-18-2012, 05:54 PM
No, you aren't.

:beerme:

Boss-Hog
09-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Nope...

paintmered
09-18-2012, 08:15 PM

Alum, UCATS donor, and season ticket holder here.

Sea Ray
09-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Nope...

Alum, UCATS donor, and season ticket holder here.

Great! The Bearcats are lookin' good so don't be a stranger. Heck the UK thread was livelier than this one.

I went to a lot of UC games with my grandfather in the 70s and 80s when they played the likes of Villanova and a bunch of directional schools. I wish my grandfather were still around to see this exciting brand of Bearcat football.

Anyone out there old enough to remember Henry Miller QB the 'Cats?

wolfboy
09-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Great! The Bearcats are lookin' good so don't be a stranger. Heck the UK thread was livelier than this one.

I went to a lot of UC games with my grandfather in the 70s and 80s when they played the likes of Villanova and a bunch of directional schools. I wish my grandfather were still around to see this exciting brand of Bearcat football.

Anyone out there old enough to remember Henry Miller QB the 'Cats?

I was teed off that the UK thread was livelier. Then I read it and realized it was a bunch of guys talking about Calipari and the UK AD and I felt a lot better. :laugh:

Sea Ray
09-19-2012, 10:19 AM
I was teed off that the UK thread was livelier. Then I read it and realized it was a bunch of guys talking about Calipari and the UK AD and I felt a lot better. :laugh:

:thumbup:

Redlegs23
09-19-2012, 10:37 AM
I don't post here too often but I'm a die hard UC fan. Had season tickets for 3 years before I moved away from Cincy but still make it down to 2-3 games a year. I'm a little frustrated with 2 byes in the first 4 weeks of the season though.

wolfboy
09-19-2012, 10:45 AM
I don't post here too often but I'm a die hard UC fan. Had season tickets for 3 years before I moved away from Cincy but still make it down to 2-3 games a year. I'm a little frustrated with 2 byes in the first 4 weeks of the season though.

The schedule is just a mess this year. No doubt about it, but a lot of that has to do with the departure of WVU and TCU backing out.

Redlegs23
09-19-2012, 04:34 PM
The schedule is just a mess this year. No doubt about it, but a lot of that has to do with the departure of WVU and TCU backing out.

Understood, I just have this itch and 2 games in 4 weeks ain't scratching it for me.

Boss-Hog
09-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Understood, I just have this itch and 2 games in 4 weeks ain't scratching it for me.
Same here

paintmered
09-19-2012, 06:23 PM

And one of those games was a glorified scrimmage where UC looked disinterested. That being said, I think everyone understands this year's schedule to be a one-year anomaly forced upon UC. I may or may not have also flown back from Germany earlier in the day just so I could make it back to said glorified scrimmage.

wolfboy
09-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Same here

Right there with you guys.

Boston Red
09-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Based on what I've seen so far, UC is probably the favorite to win the Big East. Especially with that win against Pitt in the bag now that Pitt seems to have righted the ship a bit. UC's visit to Louisville will be enormous in the Big East race. Rutgers will also figure into the equation I would imagine.

dougdirt
09-29-2012, 03:35 PM
If ESPNU doesn't cut in here in Cincinnati with this game before the completion of NC State and Miami (FL), I am going to be upset.

Boston Red
09-29-2012, 05:28 PM
There's no excuse for UC not to be up 2 TDs at halftime. They completely dominated. I'm not feeling good about their chances in the second half. Hope I'm wrong.

dougdirt
09-29-2012, 05:28 PM
It is a real shame that Virginia Tech has 2 first downs (that didn't even come on the same drive) to Cincinnatis 10, yet Cincinnati trails 7-6.

Stray
09-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Our defense has been impressive so far

dougdirt
09-29-2012, 06:01 PM

All year.... but Munchie, for as talented as his raw skills are (at least for college football where that throwing motion can be worked with), his decision making scares the ever living crap out of me.

dougdirt
09-29-2012, 06:02 PM

Jinx. Stop it.

Stray
09-29-2012, 06:18 PM
All year.... but Munchie, for as talented as his raw skills are (at least for college football where that throwing motion can be worked with), his decision making scares the ever living crap out of me.

Yeah he shows flashes of how good he can be, then he'll follow it up with a terrible decision.

And btw, I don't know what Virginia Tech needs to do to get flagged. They're facemasking, punching, holding and whatever else.

Stray
09-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Nice!

dougdirt
09-29-2012, 06:45 PM
That helps. Defense needs a stop. A lot to ask given what they have done today, but a stop here would be huge.

dougdirt
09-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Crap. One big drive needed.

Stray
09-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Holy freaking crap

dougdirt
09-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Holy freaking crap

Um..... this!

Boston Red
09-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Congrats to all you UC fans. Would have been a real shame to lose after mostly dominating.

wolfboy
09-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Louisville is down 10-6 to Southern Miss. If you have a chance to flip this game on, I'd recommend it. I've never seen rain/puddles like this.

dougdirt
09-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Louisville is down 10-6 to Southern Miss. If you have a chance to flip this game on, I'd recommend it. I've never seen rain/puddles like this.

Looks like a scene from Necessary Roughness.....

wolfboy
09-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Looks like a scene from Necessary Roughness.....

For the Big East's sake, I really hope UL does not lose to So. Miss.'s swim team.

Sea Ray
09-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah he shows flashes of how good he can be, then he'll follow it up with a terrible decision.

But it's not all Munchie. His receivers dropped some very catchable passes. In the end they ended up winning on a sorta uncatchable pass. Go figure

dougdirt
09-30-2012, 12:43 PM
But it's not all Munchie. His receivers dropped some very catchable passes. In the end they ended up winning on a sorta uncatchable pass. Go figure

Yeah, his completion percentage yesterday should have been a bit higher. Still, he made a few questionable decisions in the game. I like Munchie, but I don't love Munchie. Yet. I hope he continues to grow. This team will go as far as he can take them.

dougdirt
09-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Ranked 23rd this week.

Sea Ray
10-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Ranked 23rd this week.

:thumbup:

They've earned it. Good for them

wolfboy
10-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Clean sweep by the Bearcats for Big East player(s) of the week.

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2012/10/cincinnati_big_winner_in_weekl.html

ABEsolutely
10-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Munchie drives me crazy with his throwing motion. He's 9 feet tall and releases the ball about 3 feet off the ground. For every pass he gets off, he has another knocked down at the line...

Sea Ray
10-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Ranked 23rd this week.

Now we need to get them ranked in the AP Poll

wolfboy
10-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Now we need to get them ranked in the AP Poll

Agree, but since the AP poll doesn't factor into the BCS, I think an early appearance in the Coaches' poll is more important.

Boston Red
10-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Andrea Adelson breaks it down for the Big East haters: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/37289/big-east-very-much-alive-and-kicking#comment

Sea Ray
10-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Andrea Adelson breaks it down for the Big East haters: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/37289/big-east-very-much-alive-and-kicking#comment

Very good article. The Big East isn't going anywhere. As long as there's a BCS the Big East will have a seat at the table and UC should be glad to be there rather than lament that it's not getting offers to better its lot in life.

wolfboy
10-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Very good article. The Big East isn't going anywhere. As long as there's a BCS the Big East will have a seat at the table and UC should be glad to be there rather than lament that it's not getting offers to better its lot in life.

Couldn't agree more on all counts. I'd rather be a key program in a conference like the Big East than a doormat in the Big 12.

Sea Ray
10-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Couldn't agree more on all counts. I'd rather be a key program in a conference like the Big East than a doormat in the Big 12.

You've got a good point but the reality is UC with its 35K stadium isn't going to get any bids from the Big 12, SEC or B1G. But that's OK because they're just fine where they are right now

dougdirt
10-06-2012, 08:09 PM
That wasn't the best start, but the turnovers have been quite helpful.

dougdirt
10-07-2012, 01:26 AM
Munchie still worries me, but so far, so good. Big time win today after Miami scored rather easily on the first drive of the game.

dougdirt
10-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Up to 21 in the AP poll. Coaches poll is not out yet.

paintmered
10-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Up to 21 in the AP poll. Coaches poll is not out yet.

#20 in the Coaches poll.

wolfboy
10-20-2012, 11:00 PM
#20 in the Coaches poll.

Not for long I suspect. Bummer of a loss.

Caveat Emperor
10-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Brutal loss tonight.

You want to be taken seriously as a program (and as conference), you need to dominate MAC opponents.

dougdirt
10-21-2012, 12:15 AM
This team goes as Munchie does. Munchie throws two picks and one gets returned? You lose.

Also, what on Earth was Cincinnati doing playing AT Toledo? Things like that should never happen.

Caveat Emperor
10-21-2012, 12:37 AM
This team goes as Munchie does. Munchie throws two picks and one gets returned? You lose.

Also, what on Earth was Cincinnati doing playing AT Toledo? Things like that should never happen.

Yeah, that's a game that needs to be bought out. There's no reason to expose your program on the road to a team that it gains nothin by beating.

nmculbreth
10-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Yeah, that's a game that needs to be bought out. There's no reason to expose your program on the road to a team that it gains nothin by beating.

While I don't disagree, with things being the way they are at UC I doubt they had the money available to buy out the contract.

That being said, there was really no upside to playing this game. Toledo has a nice team this year but even if UC would have won I don't think they would have gotten any credit for the win and a loss is considered a bad loss.

Unfortunately I don't think this problem will go away anytime soon and is clearly the biggest impediment to UC making the jump to a quasi-big time program. It's tough to be a top level program when you have to sell home games vs. the likes of OSU and VT to scrape up enough coin to build something as rudimentary as a covered practice facility.

paintmered
10-21-2012, 06:44 PM

True, but it's not like BCS teams are lined up around the block to wait their turn to play at Nippert.

Munchie had a very poor game last night and hasn't been really all that good at any point this year. But we're halfway through the season, and I doubt Butch is going to consider a change now. I'm not sure what it will take to "fix" him. His mechanics are terrible, but he's not the first quarterback to have bad mechanics. He throws a very uncatchable ball. I don't know how many times UC receivers (supposedly very talented and deep) have dropped his passes. Other times, he misses his receivers entirely. The biggest difference between last night and his previous games has been his decision-making. Munchie had been managing the game and not losing it. Last night, both of Munchie's picks hit the defenders in the numbers. The pick six involved him staring down the receiver allowing the corner to jump the route.

WDE
10-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Hey, at least you're in better shape than Auburn. :thumbdown:

Boston Red
10-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Big game Friday night down in Louisville! Winner becomes co-frontrunner (along with Rutgers) for the Big East title and automatic BCS bid. Should be a tight game between two good but very flawed squads. As a Cardinal fan, I can't wait for it. Are UC fans feeling confident about their chances Friday night? My Cards are 7-0, but they haven't exactly been blasting a lot of the awful teams they've been playing, so there's certainly no reason for anyone to think UC can't win.

Caveat Emperor
10-24-2012, 12:47 PM
I don't see how a UC fan could ever be confident with Munchie Legaux under center.

wolfboy
10-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Big game Friday night down in Louisville! Winner becomes co-frontrunner (along with Rutgers) for the Big East title and automatic BCS bid. Should be a tight game between two good but very flawed squads. As a Cardinal fan, I can't wait for it. Are UC fans feeling confident about their chances Friday night? My Cards are 7-0, but they haven't exactly been blasting a lot of the awful teams they've been playing, so there's certainly no reason for anyone to think UC can't win.

I'm not, but Munchie is: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121023/SPT0101/310230153/Legaux-Bridgewater-m-better-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

It makes me want to laugh and cry all at the same time.

texasdave
10-25-2012, 11:19 PM
CNNSI Upset special in college football this weekend. Televised.

*UPSET SPECIAL*

Friday, 8 p.m. ET (ESPN2) Cincinnati (5-1) at No. 16 Louisville (7-0)
The Bearcats lost to Toledo in large part due to the Rockets' defensive and special teams touchdowns. While Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater continues to excel (73.4 completion percentage), the Cardinals' defense is a concern. It's allowing a 45.5 percent third-down conversion rate, ranked 103rd nationally. Cincy quarterback Munchie Legaux is ready to feast on that secondary.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/10/25/week-9-pickoff/index.html#ixzz2AN68iWwQ

dougdirt
10-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Munchie.... still not a good quarterback.

dougdirt
10-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Munchie.... still not a good quarterback.

Yep.... this. Still. Kelce was WIDE open at the 10 yardline and he throws it behind him.

dougdirt
10-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Wow. This is a freaking joke. I hate everything about Cincinnati sports.

dougdirt
10-26-2012, 11:16 PM
After leading that drive for the tying touchdown (assuming the XP), I still think Munchie is a poor QB.

Revering4Blue
10-26-2012, 11:16 PM
This is a whale of a game.

dougdirt
10-26-2012, 11:18 PM
This is a whale of a game.

That could have been a game winning drive if the interception in the endzone would have been given to the Bearcats, instead of not counted and allowed Louisville to later score a touchdown.

dougdirt
10-26-2012, 11:19 PM
This defense sucks.

Revering4Blue
10-26-2012, 11:19 PM
After leading that drive for the tying touchdown (assuming the XP), I still think Munchie is a poor QB.

He's somewhere between a good change-of-pace QB and high-risk/high reward starter.

dougdirt
10-26-2012, 11:20 PM
He doesn't read defenses well (with regards to passing, not the option) and he locks in on his receivers. That isn't good.

Roy Tucker
10-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Munchie has lousy passing motion which drives his completion percentage too low.

But he is clutch.

dougdirt
10-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Munchie has lousy passing motion which drives his completion percentage too low.

But he is clutch.

If he were truly clutch, he wouldn't suck so much early on.

dougdirt
10-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Yeah, real clutch....

Roy Tucker
10-26-2012, 11:29 PM
#That# was a terrible throw.

paintmered
10-26-2012, 11:29 PM
#That# was a terrible throw.

The terrible play calls on first and second forced him into that terrible decision.

joshnky
10-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Yeah, real clutch....

My thought as well. The offensive scheme hides a lot of flaws but Munchie was pretty bad tonight.

dougdirt
10-26-2012, 11:32 PM
The terrible play calls on first and second forced him into that terrible decision.

Kind of..... but he underthrew a floater into coverage, in overtime. You can't do that. Take the FG.

dougdirt
10-26-2012, 11:32 PM
This happens way too often with the "icing the kicker" then bad snaps or missed field goals.

dougdirt
10-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Still hate everything about Cincinnati sports. Everything.

Revering4Blue
10-26-2012, 11:35 PM
He's somewhere between a good change-of-pace QB and high-risk/high reward starter.

Ugh.

Change-of-pace/goal line QB it is.

One other point...The wet weather negated the opportunity to run the speed option as opposed to the read option. Even when the weather is clear, IMHO, they don't run that play often enough.

Ohayou
10-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Not really a big follower of UC Football, but I did watch last nights game. That Abernathy kid looked like Darren Sproles lite out there. He really impressed me.

KronoRed
10-27-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm not mocking any fans but I do LOVE IT when icing the kicker blows up in the other teams face.

Caveat Emperor
10-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Could be worse -- you could have lost your perfect season and ranking to one of the worst teams in D1 the way Ohio University did today.

cincrazy
10-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Could be worse -- you could have lost your perfect season and ranking to one of the worst teams in D1 the way Ohio University did today.

The Bobcats have been skating on thin ice all season. They've barely beaten several crummy teams. Finally ran out of luck tonight.

Boston Red
10-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Disappointing for the Big East that they could have had three undefeateds who had beaten some pretty decent out of conference competition (VaTech, Arkansas, North Carolina) and who might only lose to each other in conference play. Instead, two of the three lost to Toledo and Kent (and the other one had to rally late to beat 0-8 Southern Mississippi). What could have been...

SeeinRed
10-28-2012, 04:40 PM
After the last two performances by Munchie, I think you have to look at a change at QB. I really wanted to see him do well, but he just doesn't have the passing game to make his legs a worthwhile asset at QB. With what Abernathy brings to the table as a playmaker, I don't think you need a run oriented QB out there. Its time to give Brandon Kay a shot and see how he can handle this offense.

wolfboy
10-29-2012, 04:31 PM
After the last two performances by Munchie, I think you have to look at a change at QB. I really wanted to see him do well, but he just doesn't have the passing game to make his legs a worthwhile asset at QB. With what Abernathy brings to the table as a playmaker, I don't think you need a run oriented QB out there. Its time to give Brandon Kay a shot and see how he can handle this offense.

Jones seems almost Dusty like in his desire to show his players he supports them. Right now, that's why it seems unlikely we'll see Kay get a shot.

SeeinRed
10-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Jones seems almost Dusty like in his desire to show his players he supports them. Right now, that's why it seems unlikely we'll see Kay get a shot.

Maybe, but I don't really think you can compare Dusty sticking with a player with Butch sticking with a QB. I mean, changing QB's is completely different from changing your starting CF. Your playcalling and game planning is completely changed when you look at changing QB's. It affects the whole offensive unit. I think in the case of Butch Jones, it is more that there are a lot of pros and cons he has to weigh which affect the whole team, not just one player/position and the confidence of that player.

I agree with you though, I doubt we see Kay get a shot yet.

Boston Red
10-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Hope to see UC knock Cuse out of the Big East title race this weeekend. The last thing the Big East needs is Cuse taking its BCS bid on the way out the door!

Sea Ray
10-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Hope to see UC knock Cuse out of the Big East title race this weeekend. The last thing the Big East needs is Cuse taking its BCS bid on the way out the door!

I'm going to be on the left coast this weekend. Are the Bearcats on TV anywhere?

camisadelgolf
10-30-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm going to be on the left coast this weekend. Are the Bearcats on TV anywhere?
Big East Network and ESPN3

dougdirt
11-01-2012, 02:29 AM
News came out today that Walter Stewart's career as a football player is over. Really sucks.

dougdirt
11-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Munchie is a turnover machine.

paintmered
11-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Bill Koch reports that Brendon Kay gets today's start.

texasdave
11-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Bearcats up 21-3. 'Cuse leads the 'Ville 24-10.

dougdirt
11-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Syracuse is laying the smack down on Louisville, 31-10.

I haven't seen much of the Bearcats game yet today. Kay has some nice stats so far though. How has he looked?

paintmered
11-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Syracuse is laying the smack down on Louisville, 31-10.

I haven't seen much of the Bearcats game yet today. Kay has some nice stats so far though. How has he looked?

He's thrown nice balls medium and deep, but been inconsistent with short passes. He also has a few long runs out of busted passing plays and a completed pass to himself. Of course, Temple is very young and isn't offering much resistance.

He's much more credible than Munchie and reminds me a bit of Ben Mauk.

dougdirt
11-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks. I should be able to watch the entire second half, so maybe they will throw it a few times.

WMR
11-10-2012, 02:50 PM
UL gettin' curbstomped...

texasdave
11-10-2012, 03:02 PM
So if UC beats Rutgers at home next week and then Rutgers beats Louisville when they host them, do the Bearcats win the Big East? Louisville would end up with two losses. UC and Rutgers one each, with the Bearcats winning the head-to-head. Assuming, no other upsets along the way, of course.

Boston Red
11-10-2012, 04:31 PM
UL gettin' curbstomped...

If anyone knows what that feels like, it's a UK fan.

WMR
11-10-2012, 04:43 PM
If anyone knows what that feels like, it's a UK fan.

You seem mad...

:lol:We know we're bad, just enjoyed seeing "#9" UL finally get exposed.

joshnky
11-10-2012, 05:03 PM
You seem mad...

:lol:We know we're bad, just enjoyed seeing UL get exposed.

This year has always been about building for next year. This game does nothing to change this season's outlook. They were projected for the Sugar Bowl and if they win the next two that's where they'll be. Finish the year in the top ten and start next year as a championship contender with a Heisman hopeful.

joshnky
11-10-2012, 05:06 PM
I actually think this loss will help a young Louisville team down the stretch. They had been playing with fire recently and this loss combined with a bye week should help the coaching staff get them refocused.

WMR
11-10-2012, 05:09 PM
This year has always been about building for next year. This game does nothing to change this season's outlook. They were projected for the Sugar Bowl and if they win the next two that's where they'll be. Finish the year in the top ten and start next year as a championship contender with a Heisman hopeful.

I agree, it's not like this loss really even matters that much except to hopefully quieten the ridiculous NC hopes some Cards fans were starting to chirp about...

It could end up hurting pre-season ranking next year depending on how UL finishes their season.

I do love watching Bridgewater. That kid will play on Sundays.

joshnky
11-10-2012, 05:18 PM
I agree, it's not like this loss really even matters that much except to hopefully quieten the ridiculous NC hopes some Cards fans were starting to chirp about...

It could end up hurting pre-season ranking next year depending on how UL finishes their season.

I do love watching Bridgewater. That kid will play on Sundays.

Louisville really needs a bcs win to validate this season. Hopefully they get matched up with a respectable opponent.

And Bridgewater has been phenomenal. It is rare that a hyped recruit comes in and exceeds the hype but he has done that this year. It wouldn't surprise me to see him and DeVante Parker go in the first round after next season.

Stray
11-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Kay played a really good game today. He doesn't have the big plays Munchie does with his legs, but he can run well enough to keep you honest. Threw some great deep balls and most importantly he took care of the ball. It was also pretty cool to see Mardy Gilyard on our sidelines, one of my favs.

Butch Jones said it best in his post game interview, these guys are overachieving. They lost a lot of talent off of last year's team, they're finding a way to make enough plays though, and you have to give Coach Jones a lot of credit for that.

Caveat Emperor
11-13-2012, 03:01 AM
Jones deserves credit, but his team would probably be undefeated if he'd have gone with Kay in W1 over Munchie.

That's totally on him.

Caveat Emperor
11-14-2012, 05:07 PM
...so, the BE now part of the "Group of Five" -- will be forced to compete with the MAC / C-USA / Sun Belt etc. for a slot into the new BCS system.

I guess it's better than being shut out completely, but the deal basically affirms that the Big East is now an outright second-tier conference. Going to be tough recruiting (both players and coaches) from this point forward, since you can no longer sell the BE as having any special access or privileges that schools like Ohio University or Louisiana Tech do not.

nmculbreth
11-14-2012, 10:57 PM
...so, the BE now part of the "Group of Five" -- will be forced to compete with the MAC / C-USA / Sun Belt etc. for a slot into the new BCS system.

I guess it's better than being shut out completely, but the deal basically affirms that the Big East is now an outright second-tier conference. Going to be tough recruiting (both players and coaches) from this point forward, since you can no longer sell the BE as having any special access or privileges that schools like Ohio University or Louisiana Tech do not.

While the Big East may have to technically vie with those other conferences for a BCS bowl slot, they're likely still going to enjoy an advantage over the rest of those conferences in terms of media exposure and prestige. The shared berth will keep a 8-4 or 9-3 Big East team out of a BCS bowl but I'd be surprised if a 11-1 or 10-2 Big East team ended up getting left behind in favor of a team from one of the other conferences with a similar record.

Boston Red
11-15-2012, 07:44 PM

The Big East probably deserves second-tier status. But if the Big East deserves it, the ACC deserves it in spades. The ACC retaining its status for no good reason is the only thing that really irks me.

Caveat Emperor
11-15-2012, 09:49 PM
The Big East probably deserves second-tier status. But if the Big East deserves it, the ACC deserves it in spades. The ACC retaining its status for no good reason is the only thing that really irks me.

ESPN is driving the bus on that one -- once the BE turned down their TV offer, they went to work ensuring the ACC would expand and the BE would be irrelevant (and thus, no threat if some other network picked them up).

Boston Red
11-15-2012, 10:29 PM
NM

Stray
11-16-2012, 01:05 PM

I totally agree with this. I don't check the Sagarin rankings that often, but over the last few years whenever I took a look the Big East was ahead of the ACC.

joshnky
11-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Big names drive viewers and advertising. The acc has them (fsu, Miami) and the big east doesn't. Take the names off the jerseys and they're basically the same league. But having Florida St in a bcs game is more attractive than Louisville. Same applies with Notre dame.

WMR
11-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Have you guys heard anything more about the B12's plans? Are they going to expand again or stay at current size for the foreseeable future?

joshnky
11-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Have you guys heard anything more about the B12's plans? Are they going to expand again or stay at current size for the foreseeable future?

I think Texas likes things as is and they're the primary roadblock. All reports are that if expansion does occur they will add Louisville.

Boston Red
11-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Big names drive viewers and advertising. The acc has them (fsu, Miami) and the big east doesn't. Take the names off the jerseys and they're basically the same league. But having Florida St in a bcs game is more attractive than Louisville. Same applies with Notre dame.

Miami isn't really a draw anymore. It's FSU, Clem(p)son and UNC that draw the eyeballs.

That league is a disaster, though.

Sea Ray
11-17-2012, 10:39 AM

If the NCAA is going to handle it like that, they might as well add the ACC, make it a group of 6 and give that group two bids

Stray
11-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Blocked field goal and it stays 7-0. Unbelievable we're only down a score...we've made so many mistakes.

Stray
11-18-2012, 01:57 PM
There are reports floating around that UK has offered Butch Jones their head coaching job. Just seeing different stuff on Twitter so I have no idea if it's true or not.

dougdirt
11-18-2012, 02:00 PM
There are reports floating around that UK has offered Butch Jones their head coaching job. Just seeing different stuff on Twitter so I have no idea if it's true or not.

UC football > UK football. Not even close. Heck, you could actually have the best UK team in its history and go 5-7.

Stray
11-18-2012, 02:25 PM
I'd be surprised if Butch Jones takes it, if it has indeed been offered. I think he'll eventually bail for greener pastures, but I think he can eventually get a better gig than UK.

texasdave
12-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Colorado trying to woo Butch Jones.

http://blogs.indystar.com/purdue/2012/12/03/purdue-football-what-people-are-writing-about-butch-jones-and-the-purdue-coaching-search/

Z-Fly
12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Colorado trying to woo Butch Jones.

http://blogs.indystar.com/purdue/2012/12/03/purdue-football-what-people-are-writing-about-butch-jones-and-the-purdue-coaching-search/

Whatever.... Bring back Kerry Combs!

dabvu2498
12-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Whatever.... Bring back Kerry Combs!

Better get his name right if you really want him...

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/coombs_kerry00.html

Z-Fly
12-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Better get his name right if you really want him...

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/coombs_kerry00.html

Thanks.... Glad you chimed in....

Matt700wlw
12-03-2012, 08:34 PM
It's hitting twitter that he's headed to Colorado, based on west coast sources.

Joseph
12-03-2012, 08:49 PM
I don't get it.

I know the Big East is no more than C-USA 2012 at this point, but UC has been a good gig for while now and it seems inevitable that it will end up back in a true big conference in due time. Colorado nor Purdue seem like better jobs.

SeeinRed
12-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Most of the sources I have seen say this are not reliable. It was also reported on Twitter last week that Butch to UK was a done deal. Not saying out won't happen, but I wouldn't believe the rumors right now. From everything I've seen, Jones is going to give UC a shot before deciding. Who knows though. We'll see soon enough.

Z-Fly
12-03-2012, 08:56 PM
It's hitting twitter that he's headed to Colorado, based on west coast sources.

Assuming this is true, I am fine with it. He is a very solid coach, and I wish him the best. I don't know if this is really a step up though. If he is willing to take a lateral job, or even a lesser one, then he was never really committed to the UC job anyway. Leaving for ND is one thing, but leaving for Colorado is another.

I don't know how realistic it is but, the reason I suggested Kerry is because he is a Cincinnati guy. I believe he would be willing to stick around and build the program.

LoganBuck
12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
I know I am an outsider to UC football, but the biggest reason for Jones to leave has to be the $13.5 Million for 5 years. He can pay his assistants as well. UC is in for a serious step down moving forward if they can't escape the BigEast. The only thing that has changed around UC football since Brian Kelly started making noise about making the program more competitive is the stupid practice bubble. Other teams have actual buildings. UC is in deep trouble if they can't escape the BigEast.

webbbj
12-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Assuming this is true, I am fine with it. He is a very solid coach, and I wish him the best. I don't know if this is really a step up though. If he is willing to take a lateral job, or even a lesser one, then he was never really committed to the UC job anyway. Leaving for ND is one thing, but leaving for Colorado is another.

I don't know how realistic it is but, the reason I suggested Kerry is because he is a Cincinnati guy. I believe he would be willing to stick around and build the program.

That may be true but he never been a HC at the college level let alone a coordinator. That could turn out to be a very risky move. Not to mention he didnt go to UC and he left UC to go to OSU so just b/c hes a Cincy guy doesnt mean he will automatically stay forever.

nmculbreth
12-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Next coach in.

Butch has done a nice job here and I'd prefer to see him stick around but at the end of the day I don't view him as irreplaceable. The never ending coaching carousel can be a bit tiresome but UC's athletic department has shown itself to be pretty good when it comes to hiring new football coaches and I trust they'll find somebody else to built on what Dantonio, Kelly and Jones have started here.

I was upset when BK left, partly because of how he handled leaving and partly because I think I realized UC would never find anyone as good to replace him, but at least leaving for Notre Dame made sense. I can't say that I feel the same way about Butch or the Colorado job but if they're offering the kind of money that has been indicated I can understand why he would be tempted. Ultimately I think it's a bad job, but between his salary and the inevitable buyout it may end up being a lucrative decision.

Roy Tucker
12-03-2012, 11:34 PM
So if Jones leaves, who is next for UC?

SeeinRed
12-03-2012, 11:43 PM
FWIW, the reports coming from more reliable sources out West say that he left Colorado without accepting an offer. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but any reports that it is a done deal are likely not accurate.

It should be noted that the visit took longer than it was scheduled for. His agent says a decision is expected to be made Tuesday. Jones is scheduled to be at a press conference for the Belk bowl tomorrow at 1. You'd think we would know by then. My guess is UC will get one last chance to make an final pitch before the decision is made. We will see.

Caveat Emperor
12-04-2012, 08:40 AM

The son of the first billionaire who promises to donate $50 million to renovate Nippert.

Stray
12-04-2012, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't blame him for leaving, but I don't think Colorado is a smart move. UC is in a real bind because of Nippert Stadium. Ideally we'd play at PBS, but if we can't fill Nippert it doesn't make any sense to make the move. It's hard to attract bigger conferences with no real support to speak of and sub par facilities.

He can stay at Cincinnati and continue to win though, and doing so has shown that it can land you a big job like Brian Kelly got. I'd be surprised if he took this CU job. Stick around another year or two and keep doing your thing, good jobs will always open up and he'll be on basically every wish list if he keeps it up here.

wolfboy
12-04-2012, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't blame him for leaving, but I don't think Colorado is a smart move. UC is in a real bind because of Nippert Stadium. Ideally we'd play at PBS, but if we can't fill Nippert it doesn't make any sense to make the move. It's hard to attract bigger conferences with no real support to speak of and sub par facilities.

He can stay at Cincinnati and continue to win though, and doing so has shown that it can land you a big job like Brian Kelly got. I'd be surprised if he took this CU job. Stick around another year or two and keep doing your thing, good jobs will always open up and he'll be on basically every wish list if he keeps it up here.

Yep. I think he's got a great chance at the BE BCS bowl next year. If he takes his team there and can pull out a win, he'll be at the top of everyone's list, and not choosing between a handful of lower tier options like CU and Purdue.

Stray
12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Well a really good job just opened up in the Big 10. Did not see that one coming.

If they have any interest in Jones he has to take it.

wolfboy
12-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Well a really good job just opened up in the Big 10. Did not see that one coming.

If they have any interest in Jones he has to take it.

My guess is this guy: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7378440/pittsburgh-panthers-make-wisconsin-badgers-paul-chryst-coach

Puffy
12-04-2012, 04:08 PM
My guess is this guy: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7378440/pittsburgh-panthers-make-wisconsin-badgers-paul-chryst-coach

Pitt is going to be looking for their 5th coach in 4 years.

:lol:

KronoRed
12-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Typically one would think Colorado is a better job, but they are so far in the garbage and apparently very inpatient that it has all the makings of the impossible task.

wolfboy
12-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Pitt is going to be looking for their 5th coach in 4 years.

:lol:

If Chryst leaves and they hire another coach for their bowl, they'll have had 6 coaches since Dec. of 2010.

As a former Big East rival, I hate Pitt. as much as anyone, but that program really deserves better.

Caveat Emperor
12-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Per the Denver Post, Butch Jones has accepted the Colorado job.

ETA -- Or not at all, now reports coming out that the Post jumped the gun.

Stray
12-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Ya I saw Woody Paige reported that he accepted, but Lance just tweeted that Butch Jones texted him saying the reports are false and he hasn't made a decision yet.

Stray
12-05-2012, 06:26 PM
And I'll say it again, I'd be shocked if he takes this job for a couple of reasons. One, he can wait and do better, and two, you gotta recruit Texas and California to win at Colorado. That job just doesn't make sense for him to take.

Once you make that jump you gotta win, if not you'll get fired in a few years and be a linebackers coach somewhere. I think coaches know how important it is to make the move when it's right.

But if he does take it it's not the end of the world. We've been through it before and I have faith we'll find a quality replacement.

paintmered
12-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Butch Jones either hasn't taken the job or just lied to the UC President, Santa Ono.

Santa J. Ono ‏@PrezOno
Butch has told me the reports that he has accepted the CU job are absolutely false. I trust him.

Slyder
12-05-2012, 07:22 PM

Who's coaching CMU at this point? Seems like you all have good luck with those guys.

paintmered
12-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Central Michigan was .500 this year. UC won't be going back to that well.

Of course, nobody really knows if Butch is leaving yet. This is turning into quite the circus.

Sea Ray
12-05-2012, 09:01 PM
If I'm Butch Jones I don't leave for Colorado unless he's really into mountains or something. He can do better. In the meantime, he's got a good thing going here in Cincinnati. If Wisconsin or Tennessee showed some interest, then I think he ought to reconsider

nmculbreth
12-05-2012, 09:19 PM
This whole thing is just weird to me.

I just don't see how President Ono and Whit Babcock can allow this to drag on indefinitely and continue on as though it's business as usual. I get that it's a big decision for Butch Jones and his family but I think he owes it to both UC and Colorado to make a decision and allow the other school to start exploring other options.

Reds4Life
12-05-2012, 09:21 PM
If I'm Butch Jones I don't leave for Colorado unless he's really into mountains or something. He can do better. In the meantime, he's got a good thing going here in Cincinnati. If Wisconsin or Tennessee showed some interest, then I think he ought to reconsider

I don't understand his interst in Colorado either, aside from money. It's a horrible program, they were 1-11 this year, and it would be a massive rebuilding effort. That job has failure written all over it.

Chip R
12-05-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm not a UC alum so I don't really have a stake in whether Jones stays or goes but does anyone else think that the UC president should - or should have - give Jones 24 hours to either take another job or stay at UC or else he's fired?

I know that's a drastic step but you have to believe this affects recruiting as well as doners and season ticket holders. It also has to effect the players and coaches. I don't like to see UC - and other universities - being played like this by these coaches. UC football cannot be taken seriously if this keeps happening. If he can't make up his mind within the period of time given by UC, find a new coach because if he goes - and Channel 9 is saying it's a done deal - you will have to get a new coach anyway.

Stray
12-05-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm not a UC alum so I don't really have a stake in whether Jones stays or goes but does anyone else think that the UC president should - or should have - give Jones 24 hours to either take another job or stay at UC or else he's fired?

I know that's a drastic step but you have to believe this affects recruiting as well as doners and season ticket holders. It also has to effect the players and coaches. I don't like to see UC - and other universities - being played like this by these coaches. UC football cannot be taken seriously if this keeps happening. If he can't make up his mind within the period of time given by UC, find a new coach because if he goes - and Channel 9 is saying it's a done deal - you will have to get a new coach anyway.

I think we just have to accept that we're not a destination job. I think it's fair to give Butch Jones all of the time he needs to make this decision. A big reason we've been so successful in recent years has been because of coaching. Brian Kelly wasn't content with Cincinnati being what it was, he wanted it to be bigger and better. He lobbied for change and got some before he ultimately left. Same with Butch, he wants Cincinnati to be more than it is now, but a lot of it is totally out of his control.

If we were getting coaches who settled and were content we wouldn't have had the kind of success we've had. It's only normal for Butch to look at and consider bigger and better opportunities, it's seems to be part of the nature of coaches that we hire. I'd rather have guys like this than the alternative.

Maybe one of these days we'll be more of a destination job in a stable conference, until then we just gotta deal with this stuff. If people are looking at our coaches that means we're doing something right.

nmculbreth
12-06-2012, 12:11 AM
I think we just have to accept that we're not a destination job. I think it's fair to give Butch Jones all of the time he needs to make this decision. A big reason we've been so successful in recent years has been because of coaching. Brian Kelly wasn't content with Cincinnati being what it was, he wanted it to be bigger and better. He lobbied for change and got some before he ultimately left. Same with Butch, he wants Cincinnati to be more than it is now, but a lot of it is totally out of his control.

If we were getting coaches who settled and were content we wouldn't have had the kind of success we've had. It's only normal for Butch to look at and consider bigger and better opportunities, it's seems to be part of the nature of coaches that we hire. I'd rather have guys like this than the alternative.

Maybe one of these days we'll be more of a destination job in a stable conference, until then we just gotta deal with this stuff. If people are looking at our coaches that means we're doing something right.

I don't think anyone is upset that UC isn't viewed as a destination job nor do I think most fans begrudge anyone leaving for a better job. I didn't blame Mark Dantonio for leaving for Michigan State and even though I thought Brian Kelly could have handled his departure a bit better, I never faulted him for leaving for Notre Dame.

I don't mind Butch Jones exploring his options, which frankly are far less attractive than either MSU or Notre Dame, nor do I mind him using the offers from other schools as leverage to extract a better deal from UC. What I do mind is Butch Jones dragging this process out for days on end, leaving UC twisting in the wind.

As each day goes by the pool of prospective replacement candidates dwindles and recruits start looking elsewhere, which is more damaging to the long term health of the program than merely having Butch leave.

Caveat Emperor
12-06-2012, 09:57 AM

If you fire him, you have to pay him to leave.

Chip R
12-06-2012, 11:07 AM
If you fire him, you have to pay him to leave.

Well, that's true but I think the University has to make a stand. They need to know if he is or is not their coach. Getting played like this year after year doesn't exactly give UC the big time image they so desire.

wolfboy
12-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Lot of reports via Twitter now that he's declined the CU offer:

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe
Butch Jones has declined an offer from Colorado, a source close to the coach said

jmac
12-06-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't think anyone is upset that UC isn't viewed as a destination job nor do I think most fans begrudge anyone leaving for a better job. I didn't blame Mark Dantonio for leaving for Michigan State and even though I thought Brian Kelly could have handled his departure a bit better, I never faulted him for leaving for Notre Dame.

I don't mind Butch Jones exploring his options, which frankly are far less attractive than either MSU or Notre Dame, nor do I mind him using the offers from other schools as leverage to extract a better deal from UC. What I do mind is Butch Jones dragging this process out for days on end, leaving UC twisting in the wind. .
I only have an outside opinion on this but hearing WLW and the National sports reporting every day, this is the part that would get me. As stated in this post, "dragging" it out and then wanting to "not discuss" it in the news conferences.

If has truly declined the Colorado offer, it is because he thinks the UT job is availabe now ?

Stray
12-06-2012, 12:17 PM
I don't really think he's dragging anything out. What's a few extra days to make a life altering decision anyway? With Twitter reporting it just seems worse since people manufacture news to be the guy who broke it.

Like I just saw in someone's tweet. The last two UC coaches turned it into the Michigan State job and the Notre Dame job, it didn't make any sense for Jones to take CU. Now if Tennessee or Wisconsin offer that's a different story.

Stray
12-06-2012, 12:22 PM
But now that he's declined CU I think he either needs to come out and make a statement that he's committed to UC, or he needs to go through the other jobs interviewing process in a timely matter. We cannot be talking about this still when the bowl game comes around.

LoganBuck
12-06-2012, 02:27 PM
The most publicity UC Football ever gets is when the coach is talking to other schools. Perhaps Butch Jones is angling to make things better at UC? Perhaps he likes the song "Rocky Top" or cheesehead hats?

At least people are talking about UC Sports.

wolfboy
12-06-2012, 03:01 PM
The most publicity UC Football ever gets is when the coach is talking to other schools. Perhaps Butch Jones is angling to make things better at UC? Perhaps he likes the song "Rocky Top" or cheesehead hats?

At least people are talking about UC Sports.

I think people have been talking about UC basketball for decades.

LoganBuck
12-06-2012, 05:34 PM
I think people have been talking about UC basketball for decades.

In big picture concepts.

paintmered
12-06-2012, 06:26 PM
I wonder how Butch looks in orange? Twitter has him as the front-runner to head to Knoxville.

Edit: this is looking more like a done deal. Players meeting tomorrow morning.

WVRed
12-06-2012, 08:49 PM
I wonder how Butch looks in orange? Twitter has him as the front-runner to head to Knoxville.

Makes sense given he turned Colorado down. I know UT fans are NOT happy if it turns out to be Jones, especially since Tennessee beat Cincinnati with Jones at the helm.

Given the history, wonder if Dan Enos will get a call if Butch ends up being the guy? :)

Reds4Life
12-06-2012, 08:53 PM
For those that thought Kelly left on bad terms, the Jones fiasco makes Kelly look like a consummate professional.

There has been absolutely nothing from UC on any of this either, not even a general statement about working on a counter offer, nothing. At this point it doesn't matter much if Jones leaves or not, there are a lot of unhappy UC supporters right now.

Sea Ray
12-06-2012, 10:07 PM

I hadn't heard that he's even interviewed with the Vols yet. If we've learned anything, we ought to be very careful about using the phrase "done deal"

Sea Ray
12-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Makes sense given he turned Colorado down. I know UT fans are NOT happy if it turns out to be Jones, especially since Tennessee beat Cincinnati with Jones at the helm.

Given the history, wonder if Dan Enos will get a call if Butch ends up being the guy? :)

I think Butch would be a fine choice. UT played their best game of the year in beating UC under Jones. By that standard they'd prefer Joker Phillips 'cause he beat them.

I'd love Dana Holgorsen but quite honestly I don't think the jump from UWV now that they're in the Big 12 would be enough to make him leave the Mountaineers. For that reason, I haven't even seen his name mentioned

nmculbreth
12-06-2012, 10:55 PM
For those that thought Kelly left on bad terms, the Jones fiasco makes Kelly look like a consummate professional.

No kidding.

When all of this started I hoped UC would find a way to keep Butch Jones around for a year or two but at this point I think UC would be best served by parting ways.

Butch Jones has done nothing but shop for other jobs for the past two years and after the flirtations with the likes of Kentucky, Purdue, Colorado and now Tennessee it's abundantly clear Butch is looking for a way out of town. I can understand part of the reason why he feels that way and I don't harbor any ill will towards him but it's gotten to the point where it's probably in UC's best interest to turn the page.

How could you possibly have the guy out there asking fans and recruits to buy into the program when it's obvious he is looking to cash out?

Reds4Life
12-06-2012, 11:36 PM
No kidding.

When all of this started I hoped UC would find a way to keep Butch Jones around for a year or two but at this point I think UC would be best served by parting ways.

Butch Jones has done nothing but shop for other jobs for the past two years and after the flirtations with the likes of Kentucky, Purdue, Colorado and now Tennessee it's abundantly clear Butch is looking for a way out of town. I can understand part of the reason why he feels that way and I don't harbor any ill will towards him but it's gotten to the point where it's probably in UC's best interest to turn the page.

How could you possibly have the guy out there asking fans and recruits to buy into the program when it's obvious he is looking to cash out?

If he doesn't end up at Tennessee tomorrow, I am not sure how he would handle it. Not only has he burned the bridge here, he's nuked it. What gets me is the lying and charade he put on about the Colorado job. He was so torn, etc. What a crock.

The irony, I would say about 95% of Tennessee fans want nothing to do with him, they are ready to riot if he's hired.

texasdave
12-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Goodbye, Butch Jones.

Tennessee selected Cincinnati's Butch Jones as its fourth football coach six seasons, ending a tumultuous couple of days for both parties.The university has scheduled a news conference for 2:30 p.m. Friday to announce the hiring, which was first reported by VolQuest.com. Cincinnati already has announced Jones' resignation.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/wires/12/07/2060.ap.fbc.tennessee.jones.1st.ld.writethru.1000/index.html#ixzz2EN8luPG0

Reds Freak
12-07-2012, 08:35 AM
While I'm sure it's tough to go through so many coaches in a short period, I applaud UC for not promising unrealistic facility upgrades, salary increases, etc. UC can't afford to get into the arms race right now. Otherwise, they'd find themselves in a situation like Rutgers and Maryland. Geography bailed those two athletic departments out big time...

Chip R
12-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.

bucksfan2
12-07-2012, 09:23 AM
I thought Dantonio was a very good coach. Think MSU is the best possible place for him.

I thought Kelly was great as a Cincinnati coach. His loud mouth, calling out fans, etc. works well in a place like Cincinnati. I thought he would be a failure at ND. If he beats Alabama his legacy is set. If he loses I still don't see him as anything different than Charlie Weiss.

I was kinda meh on Butch Jones. I thought he did a decent job, but he didn't win a depleted Big East. Kelly took the team two two BCS bowls, Butch didn't. Butch stuck with Munchie and really hurt his chances of winning the Big East. UC can do better than Butch but at the same time they could do worse. IMO Dantonio and Kelly were keepers, Butch not so much.

As for UT, thats one heck of a gig for Jones. You can win at UT, you can compete at UT, you have top notch facilities than places like UC, and even the Bengals can dream about. You have a fan base that will show up 100,000 strong each and every game. You have a team that doesn't have to worry about conference affiliation. I don't fault Butch one iota for taking the UT job, its much better than UC.

wolfboy
12-07-2012, 09:26 AM
While I'm sure it's tough to go through so many coaches in a short period, I applaud UC for not promising unrealistic facility upgrades, salary increases, etc. UC can't afford to get into the arms race right now. Otherwise, they'd find themselves in a situation like Rutgers and Maryland. Geography bailed those two athletic departments out big time...

How do you know what they offered and didn't offer? His decision to leave was about a lot more than facilities upgrades.

wolfboy
12-07-2012, 09:28 AM
I thought Dantonio was a very good coach. Think MSU is the best possible place for him.

I thought Kelly was great as a Cincinnati coach. His loud mouth, calling out fans, etc. works well in a place like Cincinnati. I thought he would be a failure at ND. If he beats Alabama his legacy is set. If he loses I still don't see him as anything different than Charlie Weiss.

I was kinda meh on Butch Jones. I thought he did a decent job, but he didn't win a depleted Big East. Kelly took the team two two BCS bowls, Butch didn't. Butch stuck with Munchie and really hurt his chances of winning the Big East. UC can do better than Butch but at the same time they could do worse. IMO Dantonio and Kelly were keepers, Butch not so much.

As for UT, thats one heck of a gig for Jones. You can win at UT, you can compete at UT, you have top notch facilities than places like UC, and even the Bengals can dream about. You have a fan base that will show up 100,000 strong each and every game. You have a team that doesn't have to worry about conference affiliation. I don't fault Butch one iota for taking the UT job, its much better than UC.

Now that's rich. Kelly takes a bunch of Weiss recruits to the NC game and he's no different than Weiss?

bucksfan2
12-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Now that's rich. Kelly takes a bunch of Weiss recruits to the NC game and he's no different than Weiss?

I meant it in that both Weiss and Willingham had a great deal of success early on in their tenure at ND. Both went to BCS bowl games and both had the ND faithful hopeful. IMO the difference between this ND team is a missed 30 yard FG against Pitt or an awful call against Stanford. If Kelly's ND team beats Alabama I will change my tune.

wolfboy
12-07-2012, 10:21 AM
I meant it in that both Weiss and Willingham had a great deal of success early on in their tenure at ND. Both went to BCS bowl games and both had the ND faithful hopeful. IMO the difference between this ND team is a missed 30 yard FG against Pitt or an awful call against Stanford. If Kelly's ND team beats Alabama I will change my tune.

Willingham had the following seasons: 10-3, 5-7, and 6-5. He ended the season ranked just one time at #17. Weiss had seasons of 9-3, 10-3, 3-9, 7-6, and 6-6. His highest end of the season ranking was 11.

Kelly has gone 8-5, 8-5, and 12-0. He got this team to a NC game, when Willingham and Weiss never even sniffed one. I'd also argue that he has waaaay less talent than Willingham and Weiss' early teams. Kelly doesn't even have a legitimate starting QB, yet he's in the NC game.

As far as the FG against Pitt and the "bad call" against Stanford, every team benefits from luck. If it wasn't for atrocious clock management by the opposition, Alabama would be a two loss team and they wouldn't even be in the NC game.

wolfboy
12-07-2012, 10:25 AM

I agree. It might be unreasonable, but I'm disappointed that he couldn't win an outright BE championship this season. I truly believe that a better coach would have.

Stray
12-07-2012, 11:09 AM
I hope he wins big at Tennessee. I appreciate that he didn't drag the UT process out and got it over with. Taking that job was a no brainer to me, if it or Wisconsin was offered he absolutely had to take it.

Caveman Techie
12-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Sorry but as soon as Weiss had to start winning with his own recruits ND went in to the toilet. Kelly went in with Weiss' recruits and won a BCS bowl (something Weiss never did). Now at the three year mark where Kelly is starting to play with his own recruits, he went undefeated and is in the National Championship game.

RiverRat13
12-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Kelly went in with Weiss' recruits and won a BCS bowl (something Weiss never did).

When did Kelly win a BCS bowl with Weiss's recruits? I don't recall the Sun or Champp's Sports Bowls (which he lost) being in the BCS.

Caveman Techie
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
When did Kelly win a BCS bowl with Weiss's recruits? I don't recall the Sun or Champp's Sports Bowls (which he lost) being in the BCS.

I'm sorry you are right, I meant won a bowl game. Had BCS on the brain, with the National Championship.

Stray
12-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Artrell Hawkins is talking up Hue Jackson on Twitter. I would have never even thought of him as a possibility to coach UC, and I'm not sure if he would even want to. Interesting to think about though, he's a good coach.

Puffy
12-07-2012, 11:49 AM
First, it's Weis. Weis. Not Weiss.

Second, as the resident Notre Dame fan here I can tell you Kelly and Weis have only one thing in common as head coaches of Notre Dame - - they both could recruit. The similarities end there. Kelly is building a program based on Stanford (academics and strong line play on both sides of ball) and Alabama (strong defense first and foremost, offense that controls line and uses clock). Charlie Weis went after stars on recruiting sites and then thought his "offensive genius" would take over from there. Teams had no toughness, never got better. His records and history reflect that. Kelly's teams keep improving. And I have news for ya - ND is going to be even better team next year. They might not go undefeated again but their offense will be better with Golson getting more comfortable and their defense will still have once of best defensive lines in country and all secondary is back and now experienced. Replacing Te'o and his leadership will be key though.

As for Jones to Tennessee, meh. Good for Tennessee. And Cincy can find a good replacement. Just not Diaco. Stay away from him!! Seriously, Cincinnati will be fine.

paintmered
12-07-2012, 11:55 AM
I hope he wins big at Tennessee. I appreciate that he didn't drag the UT process out and got it over with. Taking that job was a no brainer to me, if it or Wisconsin was offered he absolutely had to take it.

The UC AD gave Butch until this morning to commit to the UC job after granting him permission to speak with Tennessee.

And Puffy, I don't think you need to worry about UC going after Diaco. They don't have the personnel to run a 3-4 defense.

dougdirt
12-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Alright guys, here is the question.....

What does UC realistically need to do in order to keep coaches around? Is it the stadium? Is it something else? Obviously at this point in time the conference is an issue.

Puffy
12-07-2012, 12:39 PM
The UC AD gave Butch until this morning to commit to the UC job after granting him permission to speak with Tennessee.

And Puffy, I don't think you need to worry about UC going after Diaco. They don't have the personnel to run a 3-4 defense.

I hear the OC from Michigan State might be candidate. Pat Narducci I believe is name.

I think Kerry Coombs should get job. But that might be just because I like his last name ;)

Chip R
12-07-2012, 12:53 PM
I think Kerry Coombs should get job. But that might be just because I like his last name ;)

If Kerry Coombs is as good of a coach as Jim Coombs is a baseball player, UC will be celebrating many BCS Championships.

Stray
12-07-2012, 12:55 PM

What does UC realistically need to do in order to keep coaches around? Is it the stadium? Is it something else? Obviously at this point in time the conference is an issue.

We need to play at PBS and find a way to get more fans to attend. Pitt does this and it works out well for them. Then obviously we need to find a way to get into a more stable conference. I have faith it will eventually happen.

wolfboy
12-07-2012, 01:44 PM
If Kerry Coombs is as good of a coach as Jim Coombs is a baseball player, UC will be celebrating many BCS Championships.

In a single season.

paintmered
12-07-2012, 02:21 PM
We need to play at PBS and find a way to get more fans to attend. Pitt does this and it works out well for them. Then obviously we need to find a way to get into a more stable conference. I have faith it will eventually happen.

There's one big difference: Pitt gets to deal with the Rooney family. We get Mike Brown. And Pitt has had their fair share of attendance issues at Heinz field. They guilty of announcing crowds of 50,000+ when only half that many are present.

I want to see what the plan for Nippert is before I judge if it's a worthy investment. That being said, I'm going to continue my season tickets even if they move their games to a Kroger parking lot. Regardless, the plan moving forward has to be a total commitment to either an expanded and refurbished Nippert or PBS. They cannot choose a combination of both. Nippert costs too much to maintain for two games per year, and UC can't control stadium advertising if they're a part-time PBS tenant.

Stray
12-07-2012, 02:28 PM
There's one big difference: Pitt gets to deal with the Rooney family. We get Mike Brown. And Pitt has had their fair share of attendance issues at Heinz field. They guilty of announcing crowds of 50,000+ when only half that many are present.

I want to see what the plan for Nippert is before I judge if it's a worthy investment. That being said, I'm going to continue my season tickets even if they move their games to a Kroger parking lot. Regardless, the plan moving forward has to be a total commitment to either an expanded and refurbished Nippert or PBS. They cannot choose a combination of both. Nippert costs too much to maintain for two games per year, and UC can't control stadium advertising if they're a part-time PBS tenant.

I don't know the ins and outs about the finances of getting games to PBS, but I know the limitations of Nippert. A renovation would obviously help, but the one flaw that isn't gonna change is that there just isn't enough room. It could be a lot nicer for what it is, a small football stadium. If that is going to be our plan moving forward it's better than nothing I suppose.

I guess I just feel like PBS would help a whole lot when it comes to attracting bigger conferences. I know the chances are slim though.

paintmered
12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
I guess I just feel like PBS would help a whole lot when it comes to attracting bigger conferences. I know the chances are slim though.

In terms of facilities, PBS is still probably the preferable option over a refurbished Nippert. It's just there's a bit more to it than that. Either option is an improvement, and UC appears committed to executing on facilities improvement. That's the biggest development of all.

And on a related note, the Shoe needs desperate attention. If committing to PBS means that Nippert money could be moved to basketball facilities, then that option becomes that much more attractive. If they're going to throw $150 at facilities, it may be best served with a new downtown arena similar to the Yum Center (just without its PBS-esque boondoggle financial arrangement).

WMR
12-07-2012, 02:57 PM
It seems like the ridiculous sweetheart deal Mikey got for PBS should somehow give UC an in to getting a good deal there for their games...

Roy Tucker
12-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Jones is a pretty good meat-and-potatoes coach. At Wisconsin he might have had a chance at winning pretty well there. But I don't see him succeeding in the SEC. He'll get chewed up and spat out in 3 years. But also make a fair amount of coin as well.

texasdave
12-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Per Bruce Feldman, Jones has agreed to a six-year, $18 million deal. He’ll be formally introduced this afternoon at a 2:30 p.m. press conference in Neyland Stadium.

A fair amount of coin indeed.

Chip R
12-07-2012, 04:05 PM
It seems like the ridiculous sweetheart deal Mikey got for PBS should somehow give UC an in to getting a good deal there for their games...

The county does own the stadium. But I'm sure the lease lets the Bengals control who plays there. I see high school teams play there but that's a once a year thing, IIRC. What's up with that indoor practice facility at UC? Perhaps there could be a quid pro quo where the Bearcats can use PBS for a few games a year while the Bengals get to use the indoor facility.

zjr1717
12-07-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm a little late to this party but whatever.

As A UC student I don't think PBS is the answer. UC needs to start selling out Nippert consistently before there is talk of that, and furthermore an expansion of nipper would be more desirable. It will be tight however they do it, but IMO they need to knock out the old press box and build a massive 2 tier deck on that side that expands into the food court floor of TUC. you could have that floor just look out into the stadium and it would allow for the use of that facility to help alleviate some of the food and pee line complaints. A 42000 seat expanded Nippert is a much more profitable venture for UC than entering into any agreement with Mike Brown. UC makes no money off of the in stadium advertising or the concessions when they play at PBS. Furthermore a 40,000+ seat Nippert with some luxury boxes is perfectly acceptable in any conference that's not the SEC.

Secondly on selling out Nipper, look, this isnt Knoxville Tennessee, there are 2 professional sports teams, and 2 quality D1 basketball teams and a host of other timesinks to compete with. Very few people are going to want to fork over their hard earned cash to see Fordham's football team, or Rutgers for that matter. If UC can find its way into the ACC or the Big 12, and win, then there will be better attendance.

Also, Butch Jones is going to get destroyed in the SEC. His recruiting base is in the midwest and the way the SEC is today makes winning at Tennessee that much harder. There just isn't a good backyard for recruiting there and its not like the 90s and early 2000s where they could reach into the deep south when some of those programs were down. He'll be coaching in the MAC again in 5 years.

SunDeck
12-07-2012, 09:30 PM

I think UC has a heck of a hard time landing the high quality coach with what has happened to the Big East. Not optimistic about UC football right now and I don't know that I blame Jones for going elsewhere.

zjr1717
12-07-2012, 10:18 PM
I think UC has a heck of a hard time landing the high quality coach with what has happened to the Big East. Not optimistic about UC football right now and I don't know that I blame Jones for going elsewhere.

They aren't going to have any trouble finding someone, it's the best stepping stone job in the nation right now, and they are gonna end up in the ACC or Big 12 in the next couple years anyway.

nmculbreth
12-07-2012, 11:40 PM

I couldn't disagree more. The previous head coaches have parlayed their time at UC into jobs at Michigan State, Notre Dame and Tennessee and Butch Jones has left the team in better shape going forward than any of his predecessors. If you're an up-and-coming coach looking to quickly work your way up the coaching ladder there are few better opportunities out there than UC.

Redlegs23
12-08-2012, 09:26 AM

UC will be hiring either a coordinator or a coach from the MAC, CUSA, etc. Those coaches would love to coach at UC due to the recent success of the program, Cincinnati is a hotbed for recruiting, there's a good chance we will be in the ACC in the next 3-4 years, it has proven to be one of the best stepping stone jobs to the upper tier type of schools, and lastly, and probably most importantly, UC can pay their football coach about 2 million a year which would be a hefty pay raise for about any MAC/CUSA coach or any coordinator from a bigger school. And if they get into the ACC that salary number could get an even larger bump.

This is a very desirable job for a lot of qualified coaches.

WVRed
12-08-2012, 09:59 AM
UC will be hiring either a coordinator or a coach from the MAC, CUSA, etc. Those coaches would love to coach at UC due to the recent success of the program, Cincinnati is a hotbed for recruiting, there's a good chance we will be in the ACC in the next 3-4 years, it has proven to be one of the best stepping stone jobs to the upper tier type of schools, and lastly, and probably most importantly, UC can pay their football coach about 2 million a year which would be a hefty pay raise for about any MAC/CUSA coach or any coordinator from a bigger school. And if they get into the ACC that salary number could get an even larger bump.

This is a very desirable job for a lot of qualified coaches.

The only thing with the ACC is the pending lawsuit by Maryland, which everybody is going to be keeping an eye on. If Maryland wins and is able to leave without paying the exit fee, everybody in the ACC will technically be "free agents". Florida State and Clemson are likely Big 12 bound if this happens, and I wouldn't be surprised if Virginia and NC State get courted by the Big 12 and SEC. One rumor has been Duke and UNC to the SEC as well.

If Cincinnati gets into the ACC, congrats, but its likely that the ACC will be the new Big East, while the current Big East is Conference USA.

Slyder
12-08-2012, 10:08 AM

You're being generous with that. Pitt is lucky to get 15k for any home game not involving WVU and Notre Dame. That is why WVU didn't get into the ACC we bring too many fans and they didn't want us showing up this rinky dink schools by having more fans at road games than they get with home games.