PDA

View Full Version : Votto should be batting second for now.......

Vottomatic
09-09-2012, 10:03 AM
1. Bruce is hot
2. Votto is hitting, but probably has had his power sapped a bit by the pain in his knee.
3. Can't pitch around Votto (3 almost intentional walks the other night) if he's batting second. And he's an OBP machine.
4. BP is hot too.
5. BP and Votto hot means runners on the basepaths for the 3 and 4 hitters.
6. Maintains the righty, lefty, righty thing Dusty likes.
7. Hit and run is a good option if BP is being held on 1B with the lefty Votto up there to pull it through the 1B/2B opening.

2B Phillips
1B Votto
Option - either Frazier, Ludwick or even Hanigan
RF Bruce
Option - same options
Option - same options, I don't care
CF - Heisey
SS - Valdez/Gregorius

RH
LH
RH
LH

Hottest hitters and best power hitters in the right spots. Just my temporary lineup to finish the season.

oneupper
09-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Do we want Votto racing around the basepaths and frequently being the lead runner?

RedsManRick
09-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Do we want Votto racing around the basepaths and frequently being the lead runner?

If he's on the bases, he's running hard either way. I would not want to design my offense so that when my best OBP guy gets on base he won't have to run.

I agree Votto would be a perfect fit batting 2nd, making pitchers less likely to pitch around him.

AtomicDumpling
09-09-2012, 06:51 PM
I agree. In fact I have been arguing all season that Votto should be hitting second. That .474 OBP is largely wasted when he comes to the plate so often with two outs.