PDA

View Full Version : Ignore Functionality

fearofpopvol1
09-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Just a quick question about the ignore function.

Is there any way, within the function, to ignore posts quoted by someone that you're ignoring? I realize there may not be, but if someone you're ignoring is regularly quoted by others, it sort of defeats the purpose of the function.

Thanks.

Boss-Hog
09-11-2012, 06:47 AM
I understood, but unfortunately, since you wouldn't have the quoting poster on ignore, there is not.

westofyou
09-11-2012, 04:21 PM
I understood, but unfortunately, since you wouldn't have the quoting poster on ignore, there is not.

Exactly the ignore function is targeting content created in the users window attached to their profile, thus when the user is quoted the content is now assigned to the profile of the user quoting the blocked person.

It's good in theory but in practice it's not ever going to work the way we'd all want to work.

IF all users had a unique GUID that was attached to every piece of content (as metadata) that they created on the site then an across the board ignore function could use the guid as the source to block.

But that would be a lot of programming for someone.

Wonderful Monds
09-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Exactly the ignore function is targeting content created in the users window attached to their profile, thus when the user is quoted the content is now assigned to the profile of the user quoting the blocked person.

It's good in theory but in practice it's not ever going to work the way we'd all want to work.

IF all users had a unique GUID that was attached to every piece of content (as metadata) that they created on the site then an across the board ignore function could use the guid as the source to block.

But that would be a lot of programming for someone.

I kind of assumed that's what the user ID was for at the end of the URL for our individual pages.

westofyou
09-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I believe that's the post number in the thread which numbered as well

Most sites that have membership have unique guids that are database tools, not user surfaced

Example, we use guids on our sites as crosswalks in data merges, it's in essence a unique key that allows us to match up users in lists

fearofpopvol1
09-12-2012, 02:41 AM
I figured as much. Thanks for the response.

marcshoe
09-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Personally, I think functionality is important and shouldn't be ignored.

redsfandan
03-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Kinda unrelated but kinda is, is it possible to block a member from sending pm's to you?

I got a pm yesterday from a member with a 'holier than thou' attitude. I don't know if he's someone that escaped the Sun Deck but shouldn't have. I just know that I'm not that interested in someone that I don't talk to sending me a pm telling me how little he thinks of me instead of just talking to me like a normal person. I could tell him what he could do with his opinion but why bother.

wolfboy
03-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Kinda unrelated but kinda is, is it possible to block a member from sending pm's to you?

I got a pm yesterday from a member with a 'holier than thou' attitude. I don't know if he's someone that escaped the Sun Deck but shouldn't have. I just know that I'm not that interested in someone that I don't talk to sending me a pm telling me how little he thinks of me instead of just talking to me like a normal person. I could tell him what he could do with his opinion but why bother.

I could be wrong, but I though the ignore function also blocked PMs from the user, but since I'm probably the guy you're talking about, you'll never know that secret (insert evil laugh). Ok, ok, so it's probably not me. I hope.

Boss-Hog
03-22-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm really not sure; as wolfboy said, I would think ignoring a user would also block his or her PMs, but it may be an all or nothing thing.