PDA

View Full Version : Will an Enquirer Paywall Restrict Reds Blog?

FarFromCincy
09-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Anyone know if the pending new paywall (digital subscription) for the Enquirer will send John Fay's Reds Insider Blog into the pay zone? Or will it remain free?

Bob Sheed
09-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Its free for the 1st 20 articles, or until Gannett kills the Enquirer by shooting itself in the foot, whichever comes first.

Moosie52
09-12-2012, 01:08 PM
In Indy we were told the first 20 articles would be free (Indianapolis Star) starting September 1, 2012, but Gannett started counting in August. They claim to be improving the content of the paper, and they have people reading the comments and promising to do better. The image I get is Alfred E. Newman saying "trust me".

Biff Pocoroba
09-13-2012, 02:04 PM
unfortunately, it is inevitable that the Enquirer and all the other daily newspapers will be going this route. You can't survive when 90 percent of your customers are getting your product for free.

Trajinous
09-13-2012, 02:13 PM
unfortunately, it is inevitable that the Enquirer and all the other daily newspapers will be going this route. You can't survive when 90 percent of your customers are getting your product for free.

So I guess the Enquirer isn't making any money with the ads above the blog? Same with this site, there are ads.

I will stop visiting Fay's blog if it becomes "for pay" because I can go to redlegnation, or Mark My Word.

texasdave
09-13-2012, 02:32 PM
So I guess the Enquirer isn't making any money with the ads above the blog? Same with this site, there are ads.

I will stop visiting Fay's blog if it becomes "for pay" because I can go to redlegnation, or Mark My Word.

Exactly. Who is going to pay when there will be plenty of other sites that you can get the same information from for free? I am sure they have done their studies, etc. And maybe it is a viable model. But count me out.

BluegrassRedleg
09-13-2012, 02:57 PM
The newspaper industry's biggest mistake was scoffing at the internet when it first got rolling and giving away their product for free all those years. Insane. And now they're scrambling to figure it out. It's hard to put that genie back in the bottle.

BurgervilleBuck
09-15-2012, 02:26 PM
The newspaper industry's biggest mistake was scoffing at the internet when it first got rolling and giving away their product for free all those years. Insane. And now they're scrambling to figure it out. It's hard to put that genie back in the bottle.

The genie doesn't have to go back into the bottle, there are ways of generating the revenue. They could use a model where subscribers get expanded coverage or supplementary contact, for instance. The trick is to figure out what to offer that people will entice folks to subscribe.