PDA

View Full Version : Votto ritual

redsman
09-13-2012, 06:47 PM
This is my first post here,so excuse me if it's been talked about before. I have only been to two Reds games in my life and both have been since Votto has been on the team. I noticed at the game when they throw him a ball to get a person out,and it's the last out.He jogs in and the ball he has he throws to usually Billy Hatcher then Hatcher throws him a ball. I was curious if anyone knew the meaning behind it.

redsman
09-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Well it says it's my third post so scratch the first post thing lol.

texasdave
09-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Well it says it's my third post so scratch the first post thing lol.

I often post in my sleep so no problem. At the very least, people tell me that my post shows no thought content at all. :laugh:

As far as the Votto/Hatcher ball exchange this is what I think it is. I could be way off base. The ball Votto throws to Hatcher is a game ball. It will eventually go back in with all the other game balls and potentially be reused in the game. Hatcher throws Votto an old ball that Votto uses for infield practice while the pitcher is warming up between innings.

redsman
09-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Well if that's not the case it does makes sense.Thanks for the reply.

smixsell
09-13-2012, 09:43 PM
I often post in my sleep so no problem. At the very least, people tell me that my post shows no thought content at all. :laugh:

As far as the Votto/Hatcher ball exchange this is what I think it is. I could be way off base. The ball Votto throws to Hatcher is a game ball. It will eventually go back in with all the other game balls and potentially be reused in the game. Hatcher throws Votto an old ball that Votto uses for infield practice while the pitcher is warming up between innings.

This is correct. It's probably almost as old as the game itself.

Tuff Nut
09-13-2012, 10:06 PM
I have to agree with texasdave. I've been to 2 games at GABP, both the same w/e, and during the inaugural season. For the Sunday game, we had bleacher seats, 3 rows off the field. Guillen(sp) would toss his warm up balls, everyother inning, into the stands. Well, my daughters boyfriend, his first games ever, happened to catch one, and yes, there is nothing 'new' about them. Still irrigates me, that he catches a ball, and in all my years, I have not.

jhiller21
09-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Still irrigates me, that he catches a ball, and in all my years, I have not.

So you consume lots of water every time you think about it? ;)

Tuff Nut
09-13-2012, 10:25 PM
So you consume lots of water every time you think about it? ;)
Yeah.....something like that.:D

mgbrown66
09-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Texasdave is correct. He gets a practice ball.

trush44
09-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Yes a practice ball, and he gets it right then and there so that he can leave it in his glove and not forget to take it out onto the field next inning (which actually happens more than you think).

redsman
09-15-2012, 02:29 AM
Well I guess I'm the only one who didn't know. I thought you always threw it back to the pitchers mound for the other team. Thanks for the replies.

texasdave
09-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Well I guess I'm the only one who didn't know. I thought you always threw it back to the pitchers mound for the other team. Thanks for the replies.

They used to. But next time you watch a game you should see the home plate umpire toss a ball to the mound at the end of each half-inning.

Tuff Nut
09-15-2012, 10:53 AM
I thought Votto was tossing his ball into the stands, then receiving one from a player or coach. Guess they don't toss every 'used' ball.