PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Roster Talk

5TimeWSChamps
09-23-2012, 03:02 AM
Now that we are in, time to discuss the roster/rotation, etc...

My guess for the postseason roster:

Catchers (3)
Hanigan
Mesoraco
Navarro

Infielders (6)
Votto
Phillips
Cozart
Rolen
Frazier
Valdez

Outfielders: (5)
Bruce
Heisey
Ludwick
Stubbs
Paul

Pitchers: (11)
Cueto
Latos
Bailey
Arroyo
Chapman
Marshall
Broxton
LeCure
Hoover
Arredondo
Ondrusek

Not sure who will get that 11th pitcher slot, but Ondrusek for now, I guess? Guess Leake could still get there, but I don't trust him.

In terms of the rotation, If we play San Francisco, I would go Latos in Game 1, Bailey in Game 2

Latos against San Fran this year:
San Francisco Giants 2-0 1.000 0.56 ERA

Bailey is 8-2, 2.63 ERA on the road this year, as opposed to 4-7, 5.05 ERA at home. In his one start against SF this year, he went 6.1, allowing 2 ER's.

Then put Cueto/Arroyo in Games 3 and 4 at home, where they are much more comfortable throwing than Bailey

smixsell
09-23-2012, 03:41 AM
No way Ondrusek makes the post season roster. (.....absent injuries to 2 or more of the pitchers ahead of him)

redsfanmia
09-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Leake should get on the roster, he is too useful as a pinch runner/hitter.

Who Dey Time
09-23-2012, 07:36 AM
I like the list however I would make 2 changes:

-Simon for Ondrusek

-Leake for Mesoraco

Mes won't play. Put Leake on the roster and you have a PH/PR guy.

Red Raindog
09-23-2012, 07:58 AM
I expect Dusty will find a spot for Cairo --- maybe droppig Mes to do it

Not sure if Hoover beats out Simon

I can't see Logan making the roster instead of Leake

Cant Touch This
09-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I expect Dusty will find a spot for Cairo --- maybe droppig Mes to do it

Not sure if Hoover beats out Simon

I can't see Logan making the roster instead of Leake

It's going to be interesting. Do we need three backup infielders on the playoff roster? (Frazier, Cairo, and Valdez?) The reality behind it is that the Reds do not need Cairo on the roster because Frazier solves the corner infield backup. Cairo cannot adequately play short, and with Cozart's recent injury it would be a big risk to enter the postseason without someone there to back him up - and, unfortunately, that someone is probably going to be Valdez and his Interstate batting average. (Valdez is batting I-99 while Cairo is lagging behind on I-77.)

They're both awful. They've combined for 61 hits in 322 ABs this season. Compare that to Heisey's 90 hits in 327 ABs and Hanigan's 80 hits in 302 ABs to emphasize the level of suckatude of 61 hits.

Hell, bring Didi along instead to give him a taste of what's to come over the next several years!

I think Simon and Leake will make the roster, replacing Mes and Logan. So if Cairo is added to the list, it will be at the expense of one of those two, unless Dusty surprises me and leaves Hoover home.

texasdave
09-23-2012, 09:51 AM
The OP might have nailed it. I might go Simon for Ondrusek. But the other 24 I think are spot on. Mesoraco has to make it so that you can use Navarro as a switch-hitting pinch hitter.

goreds2
09-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Leake should get on the roster, he is too useful as a pinch runner/hitter.

That is the first thing I thought of when they mentioned him not being on the roster two or so weeks ago. So what if he takes longer than usual to warm up. He will suck it up and go to the mound if needed.

Ironman92
09-23-2012, 11:19 AM
The OP might have nailed it. I might go Simon for Ondrusek. But the other 24 I think are spot on. Mesoraco has to make it so that you can use Navarro as a switch-hitting pinch hitter.

The last sentence makes the vein in my head pound....but I know why you are saying it....it's just ten-fold idiotic.

5TimeWSChamps
09-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Simon won't make it because with only carrying 4 starters, you technically wouldn't need a long man.

Also, they went 14/11 in 2010, and I expect the same this year.

IamRV
09-23-2012, 02:42 PM
In terms of the rotation, If we play San Francisco, I would go Latos in Game 1, Bailey in Game 2

Latos against San Fran this year:
San Francisco Giants 2-0 1.000 0.56 ERA

Bailey is 8-2, 2.63 ERA on the road this year, as opposed to 4-7, 5.05 ERA at home. In his one start against SF this year, he went 6.1, allowing 2 ER's.

Then put Cueto/Arroyo in Games 3 and 4 at home, where they are much more comfortable throwing than Bailey

Totally agree but it won't happen that way with Johnnie B back at the helm. Will be Cueto, Latos in San Fran followed by Bailey and Arroyo in the cozy confines. Not the optimum utilization of resources IMO but then I'm not the manager.

Stray
09-23-2012, 02:46 PM
I'd take Leake over Ondrusek, but other than that I agree on your list.

Stray
09-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Totally agree but it won't happen that way with Johnnie B back at the helm. Will be Cueto, Latos in San Fran followed by Bailey and Arroyo in the cozy confines. Not the optimum utilization of resources IMO but then I'm not the manager.

I do like the idea of Bailey starting his game on the road, but if you save Cueto for a home game he wouldn't be available for a game 5 at home. I think you gotta go Cueto-Latos on the road because of that.

Oh and I absolutely hate the 2-3 format.

5TimeWSChamps
09-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Latos started 2 games against SF, one H, one R. He owns them.

If anyone should get 2 starts against SF, it's him

texasdave
09-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Simon won't make it because with only carrying 4 starters, you technically wouldn't need a long man.

Also, they went 14/11 in 2010, and I expect the same this year.

Not sure what the number of starts has to do with needing a long man. So if Bailey blows up in the 3rd, the Reds wouldn't want a long man to come in and eat those innings instead of using up the bullpen in what is a likely losing scenario?

5TimeWSChamps
09-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Not sure what the number of starts has to do with needing a long man. So if Bailey blows up in the 3rd, the Reds wouldn't want a long man to come in and eat those innings instead of using up the bullpen in what is a likely losing scenario?

Nope, not in a Best of 5 series

5TimeWSChamps
09-23-2012, 09:46 PM
No way Ondrusek makes the post season roster. (.....absent injuries to 2 or more of the pitchers ahead of him)

Back to this point. I don't think they trust Cingrani. And I think Ondrusek is ahead of Simon at this point.

Leake is too much of an unknown at this point in terms of pitching relief.

texasdave
09-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Nope, not in a Best of 5 series

That makes no sense. Try explaining your logic. Just saying "nope" doesn't really further your contention along.

Old NDN
09-24-2012, 10:40 AM
As inconsistent as Arrendondo has been for a while, I could see him excluded for the first round. I would take Simon or Leake ahead of him, at this point. No on Ondrusek.

5TimeWSChamps
09-24-2012, 09:01 PM
That makes no sense. Try explaining your logic. Just saying "nope" doesn't really further your contention along.

You aren't going to throw a playoff game by pitching Alfredo Simon four innings to save the rest of your bullpen if you happen to fall behind 7-0 early.

Old NDN
09-30-2012, 11:31 AM
As inconsistent as Arrendondo has been for a while, I could see him excluded for the first round. I would take Simon or Leake ahead of him, at this point. No on Ondrusek.

They (Arrendondo and Ondrusek) continue to support my opinion. Seems like neither can get a clean inning w/out a BB, wild pitch, or hit. Way too many high counts. I hope the lack of appearances by Hoover and Simon aren't "writings on the wall" for them.

IamRV
09-30-2012, 01:35 PM
My choices would be:

Latos
Cueto
Bailey
Arroyo

Chapman
Broxton
Marshall
Simon
Lecure
Hoover
Cingrani

Having 2 LHRP plus Chapman for the playoffs only makes sense.

Ironman92
09-30-2012, 01:41 PM
My choices would be:

Latos
Cueto
Bailey
Arroyo

Chapman
Broxton
Marshall
Simon
Lecure
Hoover
Cingrani

Having 2 LHRP plus Chapman for the playoffs only makes sense.

Cingrani already over his innings limit....but I would choose him as well over Dondo, Simon, Ondrusek

IamRV
10-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Cingrani already over his innings limit....but I would choose him as well over Dondo, Simon, Ondrusek

I can't imagine a possible handful of innings would put him in jeopardy. Prolly would just be a LOOGy anyway getting 1/3 inning at a time.

texasdave
10-01-2012, 04:09 PM
I would like to switch out Devin Mesoraco and put Miguel Cairo it his place. That's the way the old tea leaves are looking from here.

5TimeWSChamps
10-01-2012, 10:25 PM
The way Navarro has been hitting means Mesoraco is absolutely going to be on the roster.