PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Worry Going Into The Playoffs?

texasdave
09-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Play Stubbs? Won't matter. Play Valdez? Won't matter. Pitching rotation? Won't matter. Injuries? Won't matter. Votto can't slide? Won't matter. Cairo makes the playoff roster? Won't matter. Nothing will matter. Not. One. Single. Thing. Will. Matter. This team knows how to win.

HometownHero
09-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Losing game one

Redsgirl
09-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Play Stubbs? Won't matter. Play Valdez? Won't matter. Pitching rotation? Won't matter. Injuries? Won't matter. Votto can't slide? Won't matter. Cairo makes the playoff roster? Won't matter. Nothing will matter. Not. One. Single. Thing. Will. Matter. This team knows how to win.

Best. Attitude. Ever.

We are so much better and more prepared than two years ago. I have no worries about this team. :thumbup:

19braves77
09-25-2012, 11:42 PM
The Braves starting Kris Medlen against you twice.

mikemo14
09-26-2012, 12:11 AM
I'll go with several nominees
Votto hitting with authority like he did before the surgery

Which Bruce will show up?

Ludwick or Frazier regain August form. Nee someone to get hot from the right side.

Cueto hitting a wall

Rolen and Hanigan being healthy

Playing first two games on the road

Getting Dusty back and healthy

Stubbs (Counting only on his D)

And the Winner is.........
Chapman needs to get bck to the dominating 100-102 MPH unhittable guy he was for most of the year

texasdave
09-26-2012, 12:12 AM
I should make a poll with a bunch of options and see what wins......

HometownHero
09-26-2012, 12:22 AM

I would actually love to face him twice in a series, he's due for a bad game and has no playoff experience. I think he's going to flop in the Play in game or in the first round. He's just 5-7 with a 3.98 ERA vs winning teams and owns bad clubs with a 13-1 lifetime mark against sub .500 teams.

arkimadee
09-26-2012, 12:22 AM
The team that wins the world series is usually the team that catches most of the breaks an are clicking at the right time. Every team faces challenges and I would go as far as saying the Reds face less challenges than any other team. Early April was the only time this season that Defense offense and pitching were all cold at the same time. The best part about this team is that they don't ever go into long funks.

BluegrassRedleg
09-26-2012, 12:43 AM

With our history, I'd be more concerned about some AAA dude making his MLB debut. :p

Don't get PICO'D!

jhiller21
09-26-2012, 02:05 AM
My biggest concern is the offense... Votto's timing is off and Luddy is hurt. We need guys like Bruce and BP to come up huge for us.

I'm not worried about the pitching at all.

Ironman92
09-26-2012, 05:50 AM
That it's someone elses year more than ours.

Rangers, Braves and Cardinals come to mind. Fortunately, 1 will be eliminated before they even get going.

Playing the Orioles in extra inning games.

goreds2
09-26-2012, 06:28 AM
We need to play "small ball" a little better than we have during the season.

dubc47834
09-26-2012, 07:40 AM
I would say the only thing I a little bit worried about is our offense. It's been in a slump lately, but I think it's just because of the playing time some of the guys are getting. Other than that, I would have to say I agree with texasdave in the original post. Also, I hope Dusty makes it back before then also.

smixsell
09-26-2012, 10:40 AM
The Reds passing the Nationals for the #1 seed, which will render my tickets for the SF Giant's NLDS home opener worthless to me. :runawaycry:

C'mon Nats, just win baby! :)

Biff Pocoroba
09-26-2012, 10:51 AM
smixsell - I have the opposite concern. I will be in town the weekend of the Bengals-Steelers game and would be able to go to Game 6 and/or 7 of the NLCS if it's played in Cincinnati.

Granted, a number of things must fall into place (The Reds having the homefield; the Reds advancing past the first round and the LCS going past five games) but us surpassing the Nats in the regular season would be one important domino to fall.

With regard to worries, I simply worry about the fact that the best teams don't always win a short series.

webbbj
09-26-2012, 11:35 AM
just hope we get timely hitting and atleast a road split.

Its so wide open I think there is no clear cut favorite.

I think the WC round could be the most challenging. Starting on the road and facing a bit of a dilemma strategy wise because it kind of forces us to put arroyo or bailey in game 2 instead of our top two.

But if we get the #1 seed we have the advantage of putting our rotation in a more dominant positiom

smixsell
09-26-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm not really worried about anything. It's realistic that we could win it all or go out in the first round. Both scenarios are very possible. So I'm just going to root hard for the Reds and enjoy the fact that we, for the first time in about 20 years, have a good enough team to win the WS. :beerme:

Go REDS! C'mon lift that WS title flag! :usa:

Falcon7
09-26-2012, 03:55 PM
HITTING HITTING HITTING and HITTING...

Especially clutch hitting! Do we have enough guys that can rise to the occasion?
I have some serious concerns about that.

webbbj
09-26-2012, 04:31 PM
If I was unbiased betting person I would not even try to pick a favorite.

I think the division winners are equal and slightly favored over the WC teams. But I dont see any favorite.

The AL I am going Rangers all the way. I think they are a strong favorite.

Stray
09-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Health. We have no idea what's up with Ludwick, Votto still isn't close to being totally back, Hanigan, and Chapman is still somewhat of a question mark. Oh and hopefully that Cueto thing last night was nothing.

Edit: And how could I forget Dusty...hopefully he can be 100% healthy and back in the dugout.

Maker_84
09-26-2012, 07:25 PM

Especially clutch hitting! Do we have enough guys that can rise to the occasion?

this, although this team is very good. They still haven't shown that they can hit in the clutch in a big game

Todd Gack
09-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Jay Bruce. Will be hit .600 or will he go .167? Time will tell.

Redsgirl
09-26-2012, 08:09 PM
My biggest worry is the sheer embarrassment that the other teams will have to suffer after we sweep them with ease. :D

Ironman92
09-26-2012, 08:30 PM
My biggest worry is the sheer embarrassment that the other teams will have to suffer after we sweep them with ease. :D

Yeah, count me in as one worrying about the Cardinals' feelings.

The_Mudshark
09-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Getting swept.

jback76
09-27-2012, 08:43 AM

This is my number 1 concern also. We haven't been doing it against non playoff teams, can we get the clutch hitting against the Giants and Nationals?

Old NDN
09-30-2012, 11:50 AM
My biggest concern is the offense... Votto's timing is off and Luddy is hurt. We need guys like Bruce and BP to come up huge for us.

I'm not worried about the pitching at all.

This. I keep thinking that maybe/if they get all their "projected" starters back on the field at the same time, things will improve. Time to build some momentum. They're running out of time.

Calten
09-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Offense. We've been in a funk for a month now. Hoping we get hot again. If so, we can win it all. If not. This will be quick.

TheBigLebowski
09-30-2012, 12:52 PM

You have a lot of potential.

TheBigLebowski
09-30-2012, 12:58 PM
My concerns?

The offense. This team can just forget how to strike a baseball for days. Plus, we're susceptible to aces. Good pitching stymies us in a way it doesn't for most teams. Say, for instance, game one of the WC series was Latos or Cueto vs. Halladay and the Phils. Would you put any amount of money on us to win that game? I fear we peaked offensively when Votto was out. He has not added any considerable punch during his return.

The rotation. Cueto/Latos/???? Bailey's no-no made what seemed like an obvious choice for Dusty a difficult one. I feel for him here, because a compassionate, rational case can be made for either guy, and he is going to be run up the flagpole either way if the choice fails. Ultimately, I think he goes with the spiritual, veteran creaminess Arroyo offers, but I would prefer he go with Homer. Ride the hot hand. But either choice is fraught with peril.

Heisey or Stubbs?

I couldn't give any less of a crap about Medlen, braves guy. How about this - stop Medlen in our affairs and make the playoffs.

IamRV
09-30-2012, 01:17 PM
The fact we can't hit our way out of a wet paper sack should give everyone pause.

smixsell
10-03-2012, 03:48 PM
That Frazier will get little or no playing time because Dusty will go with a "less than good due to age and injuries" Rolen in every game.

Note, if Scotty is on fire I would have no problem with this, as going with a proven "hot hand" in the playoffs is always a defensible decision.

I just think that if everybody is performing similarly to the regular season, Frazier should get at least 50% of the PT at 3B.

Biff Pocoroba
10-03-2012, 03:59 PM

It's not a question of "can they" - it's a question of "will they rise to the occasion?" I know that Votto, Bruce and Phillips are capable of doing big things as are Ludwick and Rolen.

Larkin88
10-03-2012, 04:10 PM
I couldn't give any less of a crap about Medlen, braves guy. How about this - stop Medlen in our affairs and make the playoffs.

Believe we've already checked the "make the playoffs" box.

texasdave
10-03-2012, 04:22 PM
What is odd is that the Wild Card winner is supposedly at a disadvantage because they are going to have to burn their ace in the play-in game. But, by shutting Strasburg down, the Gnats have effectively squandered that supposed advantage.

boiseheidleberg
10-03-2012, 09:10 PM
I am extremely worried about the bats. We really haven't hit all year except for the three week hot streak. I can see the Giants starters completely shutting everyone but Votto down. Baumgartner threw a one hitter against us earlier this year and tonight the playoff lineup hasn't had a hit through four innings off a guy making his first MLB start. I hope I'm dead wrong.

WDE
10-04-2012, 08:16 AM
My concerns? Nothing. I have complete confidence in this team.

Girevik
10-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Starting out on the road in that huge ballpark the Reds aren't built for and going 0-2.

And yeah, the bats have got to warm up.

texasdave
10-04-2012, 11:29 AM
The offense is no concern of mine unless they ask me to grab a bat. Which I am thinking is not going to happen. This team will push across enough runs to win. If there is a concern for me it is that they will play scared like last time. And that probably is not going to happen.

Captain13
10-05-2012, 08:21 AM
My fear is enduring 13 innings of scoreless baseball well into the night on Saturday after a full day of college football and beer drinking, then falling asleep before the dramatic win scores in the wee hours of the morning. Neither the Reds nor the Giants can hit worth a lick, and in case you haven't noticed Cueto and Cain are pretty good.

webbbj
10-05-2012, 08:36 AM
My fear is enduring 13 innings of scoreless baseball well into the night on Saturday after a full day of college football and beer drinking, then falling asleep before the dramatic win scores in the wee hours of the morning. Neither the Reds nor the Giants can hit worth a lick, and in case you haven't noticed Cueto and Cain are pretty good.

I have a similar worry. Im going to the bearcats game Saturday night. Im hoping for a blowout so I can boubce out early to see the 1st pitch.

Carin4Narron
10-05-2012, 08:41 AM
there is all most no hope if they are behind by 2 or 3 runs in a important game. We have all seen, Philips,Bruce,Rolen,Stubbs, and even Votto swing full out at terrible pitches and it has gotten them into deep trouble this year. So far there has been no adjustment and no accountably for that. If they don't watch it, it will bite them in the behind. Homer's are over-rated, just make good contact,get on base, and score! And bad base running hurts this team, they run themselves out of a inning sometimes. Again there's no adjustment and no accountably for that. Jacboby-sp and Berry should be fired if the Reds don't have a good playoff run.

jback76
10-05-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm. No longer worried about the hitting, I think what we've seen is what we're going to get. Anything over 4 or 5 runs will be a bonus. I think our pitching can get us to the WS. I am slightly worried about losing a close 1st game, then coming back in game 2 with Arroyo. I think I'd feel more comfortable with Latos pitching game 2.