PDA

View Full Version : Many of you will not like this. . .

Mr Larkin
09-26-2012, 11:44 PM
but I think Dusty Baker could win NL Manager of the Year. Hate if you must, but Dusty has put together a very solid season with many missing pieces. He could be the front runner. Davey Johnson is his only likely competition.

I'm not a Dusty hater, nor a real fan, but he could win this award while this board has blasted every thought he's made since April. I think many here over react and think they know much more than I guy who has managed 3,000 games. I marvel at the number of people who think they are simply superior to a manager who has been remarkably successful.

If I had a vote, I'd vote for Dusty.:thumbup:

Ironman92
09-26-2012, 11:53 PM
The AL is loaded with candidates....Dusty has a good shot winning the NL award.

But I know what he'd rather have....let's go for that one.

HometownHero
09-26-2012, 11:54 PM
I can't see anyone but Davey Johnson getting it, he got a franchise that hasn't made the playoffs since 1981 in a strike shorten season into the playoffs with potentially the games best record.

bounty37h
09-27-2012, 10:46 AM
^I agree, but he also had how many top draft picks because of being the suck for years. It is def between Dusty and Davey though, and both have done amazing jobs!

texasdave
09-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Davey Johnson. Hands down. Nobody picked Washington.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/04/02/expert.picks.2012/index.html

swaisuc
09-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Dusty has done a great job, but Davey Johnson deserves every single vote.

Mr Larkin
09-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Davey Johnson. Hands down. Nobody picked Washington.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/04/02/expert.picks.2012/index.html

Truth is Washington was mentioned by several before the season started. Haven't you seen the Baseball Tonight commercial with Kruk saying he thinks it will be Washington a million times? People knew, going into this season, that the Braves were striving to get back to the top - still young and new manager (2nd year) and the Phillies had injuries out of the gate.

I would offer that there were just as many people saying Washington was a threat as there were people saying Cincy could win the Central. The Reds were slated, by many, to be striving for one of the wildcards - if everything fell into place perfectly - while watching the Cardinals win the division.

I think Dusty has made the Reds at least as good a story as Johnson has made the Nats. Also, Johnson's shutting down of his ace pitcher may go down as a huge mistake.

So the story here is this, will people who represent themselves as being the biggest fans of the Reds acknowledge that fact that their manager, who so many can't stand, actually had a wonderful year leading a team that had many obstacles? My bet is no and I think by the replies so far that I am obviously right. Instead of admitting that he has had a good season, the slant has been Johnson has been better.

I find that sad.

texasdave
09-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Truth is Washington was mentioned by several before the season started. Haven't you seen the Baseball Tonight commercial with Kruk saying he thinks it will be Washington a million times? People knew, going into this season, that the Braves were striving to get back to the top - still young and new manager (2nd year) and the Phillies had injuries out of the gate.

I would offer that there were just as many people saying Washington was a threat as there were people saying Cincy could win the Central. The Reds were slated, by many, to be striving for one of the wildcards - if everything fell into place perfectly - while watching the Cardinals win the division.

I think Dusty has made the Reds at least as good a story as Johnson has made the Nats. Also, Johnson's shutting down of his ace pitcher may go down as a huge mistake.

So the story here is this, will people who represent themselves as being the biggest fans of the Reds acknowledge that fact that their manager, who so many can't stand, actually had a wonderful year leading a team that had many obstacles? My bet is no and I think by the replies so far that I am obviously right. Instead of admitting that he has had a good season, the slant has been Johnson has been better.

I find that sad.

Obviously you didn't read the article. And I find that sad. And no one is saying that Baker didn't have a good year. Just that Johnson had a better one.

Red Buckeye
09-27-2012, 01:41 PM
but I think Dusty Baker could win NL Manager of the Year. Hate if you must, but Dusty has put together a very solid season with many missing pieces. He could be the front runner. Davey Johnson is his only likely competition.

I'm not a Dusty hater, nor a real fan, but he could win this award while this board has blasted every thought he's made since April. I think many here over react and think they know much more than I guy who has managed 3,000 games. I marvel at the number of people who think they are simply superior to a manager who has been remarkably successful.

If I had a vote, I'd vote for Dusty.:thumbup:

Why would anyone dislike this? I think any Reds fan would be thrilled for ANY titles and awards the Reds might get.

But Johnson probably deserves it more than Baker. And that will be fine with me. The Nationals can take the MotY award, I'd rather take the WS championship!

HometownHero
09-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Here is how the ESPN staff predicted the season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview12/story/_/page/12expertpicks/espn-expert-team-predictions-2012-baseball-season

Only Adam Rubin of ESPN New York predicted the Nats to win the East and is looking like he will have called all 6 division winners if everything holds up as today but could miss on all 4 WC spots. But Rick Sutcliffe had them going to the WS as a WC winner.

WDE
09-27-2012, 08:51 PM
In my opinion, Dusty deserves it right now. He had to deal with the best player being out for two months, and the team just got better when that happened.

HometownHero
09-27-2012, 09:10 PM
In my opinion, Dusty deserves it right now. He had to deal with the best player being out for two months, and the team just got better when that happened.

That was about our only real injury of the year, Rolen went down for 30+ plus but that has been a positive since Scotty has been a bad bat and it open the door for Frazier. The Nats have had tons of injuries with losing starting catcher Wilson Ramos for the year after 25 games, Opening day LF Mark DeRosa missed half the year, Werth missed 75, Morse missed 50 and Desmond 25. Ryan Zimmerman has played most of the games but is playing with a bad shoulder leading to some of the worst throws to 1st by any MLB 3B.