PDA

View Full Version : Watching the playoffs without cable?

trush44
09-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Hey guys!

I live in Cleveland as of 2 years ago, have no cable, and as a result have been a subscribed to MLB.TV for that time. It sucks for a variety of reasons (no pre/post game, can't watch ESPN/Fox games, etc.). My question is this: how can I watch the playoffs without cable? Does MLB.TV have a separate subscription offer that will allow me to watch the games even though they are simultaneously on TBS nationally?

Thanks for any input, and if there are any fellow Clevelanders here, let me know!

arkimadee
09-28-2012, 01:39 AM
MLB.tv has a postseason package but it's of different camera views of the game. It doesn't include the actual broadcast. I boUght it in 2010 and HATED it. What you could do is go to cnet.com and buy an ip address changer. It lets you try it out for a few days. Then you can change your ip address to be in a different country. Once you do that your computer will let you watch the broadcast via MLB.tv.

TSJ55
09-28-2012, 06:30 AM
I try my best to not let the greed and arrogance of the NFL get in pocket so I watch Thursday night games at http://forum.wiziwig.eu/forum.php. They have a baseball section there too. Basically it's a forum set up like this one, but people post links to sports streaming channels. You might be able to see the games there.

goreds2
09-28-2012, 06:35 AM
Go to a bar or friends house

For the pre and post game show, www.700wlw.com will have very good coverage.

jhiller21
09-28-2012, 07:46 AM
You don't need cable to watch Fox, as I'm sure you know. Get a cheap TV and a digital converter box with an antenna. Or just go to a bar.

arkimadee
09-28-2012, 09:34 AM
the Division series is on TBS and MLB Network. The games are not on fox until the NLCS

Carin4Narron
09-28-2012, 09:59 AM
I am sure that channel 5,12,9,or 19 will pick up the tbs feed. Like a local station does when a Bengal game is on cable.

trush44
09-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks all! Bars aren't really an option - you lose too much of the experience in a city that could care less about the team. They probably wouldn't even play the sound.

I never had an anntenna before (I watch TV shows on the station's website the day after) so I just bought one and that should be good for watching the games on FOX.

As for TBS, hopefully a local over-the-air channel will pick it up. If not, I'll look into setting up a proxy in a different country if you're saying that the real broadcast is available for IP's outside the US.

Thanks again!

bigredmechanism
09-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Hey guys!

I live in Cleveland as of 2 years ago, have no cable, and as a result have been a subscribed to MLB.TV for that time. It sucks for a variety of reasons (no pre/post game, can't watch ESPN/Fox games, etc.). My question is this: how can I watch the playoffs without cable? Does MLB.TV have a separate subscription offer that will allow me to watch the games even though they are simultaneously on TBS nationally?

Thanks for any input, and if there are any fellow Clevelanders here, let me know!

You could watch it online on a streaming site, depending on your feelings about those types of sites.

I usually do that when the Saturday games are blacked out. (I'm out of market, so the saturday game is typically the Yankees etc.)

Carin4Narron
09-28-2012, 12:18 PM
The reds are on the radio WTIG 990 AM in Massillion Ohio which is very close to Cleveland.

OneEyedJack
09-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Always good to know that there are Reds fans other than me in Cleveland!

You are right about watching in bars outside of Cinicnnati. It loses a lot of the excitement. Everybody in the bar suddenly becomes a lot more annoying for not caring.

Unfortunately I have to be in Boston from the 10th to the 12th. My hotel does not get TBS or MLBN. So I will be watching two games of the series in some random Boston sports bar! Not ideal.