PDA

View Full Version : Go Homer!

Redsgirl
09-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Wow, what an amazing game! That's the first time I've ever seen someone throw a no-hitter...and I'm so happy it was Homer! :D :D :D

roundboy22
09-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Awesome job Homer!!!

Spider Tre
09-28-2012, 10:41 PM
until his next start, he is now known as No-Hitter Bailey :D

Mr.Redleg82
09-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Great game for Homer and Hanigan, it was fun to watch. Congratulations to Homer, this is what everyone expected when he was drafted. Also good to see Homer with a better attitude and earning the respect of his teammates.

This also caps off a great year for Reds pitching!!

The Rage
09-28-2012, 10:47 PM
13th in club history.

Redsfansince72
09-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Awesome Game.. Glad to see my 1st Reds No-hitter on TV.. :) Makes me wonder if they should let him pitch Game #2 if in San Fransisco and Latos game #1 and come back with Cueto at Home and Arroyyo after that after tonights performance

Red Raindog
09-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Great game for Homer and Hanigan, it was fun to watch. Congratulations to Homer, this is what everyone expected when he was drafted. Also good to see Homer with a better attitude and earning the respect of his teammates.

This also caps off a great year for Reds pitching!!

Hannigan is as important as any player on this roster.

PumpFak3First
09-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Well for the Reds I guess there's only one thing left to do at this point...

Win the whole f'n thing.mov - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tp55eSBxKk)

Falcon7
09-28-2012, 11:30 PM
ESPN Highlight Of The Night: Reds' Homer Bailey throws no-hitter against Pirates.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8437326

Tuff Nut
09-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Awesome Game.. Glad to see my 1st Reds No-hitter on TV.. :) Makes me wonder if they should let him pitch Game #2 if in San Fransisco and Latos game #1 and come back with Cueto at Home and Arroyyo after that after tonights performance
Agree completely, .....Homer has been killing it on the road this year, and not so much at GABP. A road start was what I was thinking. also.

Enrico Pallazzo
09-28-2012, 11:44 PM
I haven't posted in years on this board, although it is always my first stop every morning and my last every night. Just wanted to say that tonight was one of the best nights I've ever had watching baseball. I called my Dad in the eighth inning and we stayed on the phone until the end. Literally had tears in my eyes after the last out, and jumped around my apartment screaming like a mad man. Thank you Homer and thanks to the Reds organization for a memory I'll never forget. Here's to tonight and hopefully a few more like it in October.

Falcon7
09-28-2012, 11:47 PM
I haven't posted in years on this board, although it is always my first stop every morning and my last every night. Just wanted to say that tonight was one of the best nights I've ever had watching baseball. I called my Dad in the eighth inning and we stayed on the phone until the end. Literally had tears in my eyes after the last out, and jumped around my apartment screaming like a mad man. Thank you Homer and thanks to the Reds organization for a memory I'll never forget. Here's to tonight and hopefully a few more like it in October.

^^ Great Post! Here's to you and your Dad! :beerme:

Tuff Nut
09-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Great post........... I remember Seaver's NoNo, and the PerfectStorm by Browning, but this one, is a reality check, on my part. I have been as harse a Homer critic, as they come, and have often included him in any trade rumor. Saying, like others, that he just hasn't learned how to pitch, at this level. Well, maybe he reads RZ, cause since early on, he has had consistant good outtings, and seems to have found his niche. I am taking my bite of crow, and enjoying the ...'bejeezes'.........outta it. :beerme: WTG HOMER

dubc47834
09-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Great post........... I remember Seaver's NoNo, and the PerfectStorm by Browning, but this one, is a reality check, on my part. I have been as harse a Homer critic, as they come, and have often included him in any trade rumor. Saying, like others, that he just hasn't learned how to pitch, at this level. Well, maybe he reads RZ, cause since early on, he has had consistant good outtings, and seems to have found his niche. I am taking my bite of crow, and enjoying the ...'bejeezes'.........outta it. :beerme: WTG HOMER

Much respect to ya man!!!

jhiller21
09-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Ugh... I decided to take a nap since the cat woke me up at 4:30 AM and I was exhausted. Had the game on, and the call of the no no actually woke me up. In my still sleepy state I thought "When did Homer ever pitch a no hitter?"

Then I woke up and realized I missed it :(

Anyone who's dumb like me can catch a condensed game on FSN at midnight

Enrico Pallazzo
09-29-2012, 12:23 AM
I appreciate the feedback guys. I think too often we, the people who follow the team day to day, and live and die with every pitch, like we do, get too caught up in the little things: why a guy is batting second with a low OBP, why a reliever is called in a certain situation, why Dusty leaves a starter in a batter too long, etc... And we forget why we love this game in the first place. You never know when something magical will happen, something you will one day bounce your kid on your knee and describe what it was like to be there for Homer's No-Hitter, Jay's Walk-Off in 2010, Griffey's Father's Day Homer, the list runs on and on...What a great night, and let's have a few more in October!

BigPoppa
09-29-2012, 12:29 AM
I'm with Tuff Nut....I've been hard on Homer, not a big fan, and have also included him in all of my virtual GM trade packages......BUT....it looks like he may finally be turning into a "pitcher" vs. a thrower, and becoming more coachable. Less "hardheaded" as Hanigan put it.

So congratulations, Homer ! :beerme:

On a related note, does anyone have a link to Marty's call of the final out?

goreds2
09-29-2012, 12:30 AM
...What a great night, and let's have a few more in October!

carpenters -We've Only Just Begun - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VQX2Xn7tI)

jhiller21
09-29-2012, 12:49 AM
On a related note, does anyone have a link to Marty's call of the final out?

http://deadspin.com/5947515/homer-bailey-throws-first-reds-no+hitter-since-1988

joshua
09-29-2012, 01:36 AM
Its amazing watching Homer with all the promise he had, then get to the big leagues and be a hardheaded punk only to turn it around and pitch the first Reds no hitter in over two decades. This is an awesome season.

BigPoppa
09-29-2012, 01:53 AM
thanks jhiller21 :D

jhiller21
09-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Watching the replay on FSN, it's great to see Homer not shaking off any calls from Hanigan. When he first came up he just wanted to gas everybody.

Reminded me of Nuke from Bull Durham

"I wanna bring the heat, and announce my presence with authority!"

jhiller21
09-29-2012, 02:13 AM
thanks jhiller21 :D

Watch that vid again, it's funny how fast Hanigan gives the sign for a fastball. You might miss it if you blink.

morande
09-29-2012, 02:49 AM
I love watching people jumping on Homers bandwagen now!!!! The guys legit!!!!! 4 pitch starter

Reds
09-29-2012, 04:39 AM
HOMER! :beerme:

IamRV
09-29-2012, 01:42 PM

Been thinking they should use this rotation for weeks now.

ProfessorTofty
09-29-2012, 01:43 PM
So how many no-hitters have there actually been in Reds history? I've seen at least three different figures now - 13 (somewhere on these boards), 16 (various articles) and 15 (another recent article.) Any reason for the discrepancies?

texasdave
09-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Homer would seem to be a strong candidate for Pitcher of the Month in September.

44.2IP 23H 10 ER 9BB 42K 2.01 ERA 3-1 W/L 4.67 K/BB .7611 WHIP

Four runs came in one inning after allowing just one run to LA through six. Cherry-pick that inning on out of there and his ERA for the month drops to a microscopic 1.23.

texasdave
09-29-2012, 03:53 PM
So how many no-hitters have there actually been in Reds history? I've seen at least three different figures now - 13 (somewhere on these boards), 16 (various articles) and 15 (another recent article.) Any reason for the discrepancies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cincinnati_Reds_no-hitters

Wikipedia lists 15. The reason you may see 16 is because Jim Maloney had a no-hitter through nine in one game but lost it in extra innings. That was originally counted as a no-hitter but then later taken away. Also, some people may not be counting the two no-hitters before 1900. That is just a guess though.

ProfessorTofty
09-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks, texasdave. That makes sense - I can see how people might count the one or not count the two.

reagansdaddy
09-30-2012, 09:06 AM
“We come here last night and there’s (34,000) people. We go back home and there’s only 20,000. We’re a first-place team with a bunch of exciting things going on…” – Homer Bailey, 9/29/12

It was really a magical night, but I’ve got to say that Homer sticking his foot in his mouth yesterday kind of taints it for me. Taking a shot at the Cincy fans was totally uncalled for in my opinion. I admit that I’m not a big fan of millionaire athletes running off at the mouth about the fans even when they’re right, such as BP’s rant about the booing during the Diamondback series this summer, but it really burns me when they do it and are as clueless as Homer Bailey must be.

Comparing a rainy weekday attendance in Cincinnati to a beautiful Friday night attendance in Pittsburgh is comparing apples to oranges and borders on just plain dumb. Homer would be better off comparing the attendance in Cincinnati for the LA series to the attendance this weekend in Pittsburgh – both are the final weekend home series for each team. Maybe then he wouldn’t mouth off about how unsupportive the Reds fans are of this team. If he did take the time to do this, he’d see that the attendance for the final home Friday of the season in Cincinnati was 35,397 which is actually MORE than the 34,796 in Pittsburgh this Friday. But, if you say something this stupid maybe you can’t do math either.

I’ll root for Homer because he’s a Red and I hope he’s a productive part of our starting rotation for years to come. But, barring an apology for this really ridiculous comment, if he ever makes an appearance at GABP in another uniform, I’ll look forward to booing my lungs out when he takes the mound.

One last point, I totally agree that a rotation of Latos-Bailey-Cueto-Arroyo-Latos makes perfect sense if we're the two seed and start in the SF, but I also think that there's zero chance that Dusty would go with that rotation. The good news is that those four guys are pretty darn good in any order!

texasdave
09-30-2012, 11:01 AM
I wonder what the context of that quote is. You are right though; it doesn't seem to serve any positive purpose at all.