PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Turnaround?

mivers176
10-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Does anyone realistically see this team getting things turned around at the plate in time for this weekend? I mean the offense has been next to last or last in the league in month of September in nearly every major category.

Banking on the long ball isnt the best strategy in the cold October nights ... I just know our offense isnt this bad but we literally have no time before we're going up against the best SP in baseball whoever we play- I just cant stomach a reply of the 2010 series vs PHI but our offense has looked much like those 3 games for the last 30 so far at the end of the regular season ...

PumpFak3First
10-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Not concerned, team earned a right to take a mental break with their play earlier in the season. Would you rather they be mashing the ball this last month and then go cold come playoff time? Team has been prepping for the playoffs the last few weeks tbh, and now that we actually have our manager back there in person everything is falling into place.

Biff Pocoroba
10-02-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm definitely concerned but I'm not losing sleep over it right now.

I generally like the batting lineup as it's now constituted....and which really hasn't been intact throughout September. We're not going to be getting 10 plus hits a night and scoring bunches of runs...but if our pitching holds up, then it's just going to be a matter of timely hitting. I have faith in our veterans to be able to do that.

texasdave
10-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Why would you hit Stubbs 8th? That takes away one of his better assets, his ability to steal bases. Why waste an out sacrificing him if he can steal on his own?

Biff Pocoroba
10-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Why would you hit Stubbs 8th? That takes away one of his better assets, his ability to steal bases. Why waste an out sacrificing him if he can steal on his own?

Given that he's good for about one stolen base per four games, I think there are other factors more important than preserving his ability to swipe a bag. And keep in mind that at certain points, it will be a pinch hitter rather than a pitcher hitting behind him.

texasdave
10-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Given that he's good for about one stolen base per four games, I think there are other factors more important than preserving his ability to swipe a bag. And keep in mind that at certain points, it will be a pinch hitter rather than a pitcher hitting behind him.

Don't be shy. Go ahead and name those other factors. You only get 27 outs a game. I think conserving them is pretty important.

webbbj
10-02-2012, 06:06 PM
If the reds are gonna win the WS their gonna have to do it scoring 3-4 runs a game. And I think the pitching is good enough to win on that kind of run support.

New York Red
10-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Outside of the month-or-so long stretch in June/July, the offense has been bad all season. This didn't just begin recently. I don't have a lot of faith in our bats, but that doesn't mean we can't make a run in the playoffs.

40YrRedsFan
10-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Outside of the month-or-so long stretch in June/July, the offense has been bad all season. This didn't just begin recently. I don't have a lot of faith in our bats, but that doesn't mean we can't make a run in the playoffs.

Spot on. Add the fact we had several weak teams we beat up on during that month and a half 'hot' streak. If you look at the record, we are about break even against teams with a winning record, whereas we are nearly 30 games over .500 against teams with losing records. We definitely took advantage of the weak teams. We are in the bottom half in the league in nearly all offensive categories. We also lead the league in fly ball outs. This tells me we swing for the fences or try to pull everything. You can't produce runs that way. We depend to much on the HR. There isn't any indication our hitters are going to change their approaches at the plate. They are going to struggle in the playoffs especially when playing on the road.

HometownHero
10-02-2012, 07:18 PM
The only way this takes off again is if Joey starts hitting for power and Ludwick and Bruce get hot behind him and BP gets on for them. Over the last month and a game we are scoring 2.96 RPG and just twice reaching 6 runs as a high point.

Votto has a .505 OBP over this period and we still aren't scoring, Ludwick has been down hurt for a chunk so hopefully he can stay healthy and get his swing back. Bruce is hitting .229 with a .288 OBP over the same period. Making matters worse is BP is at .200 with a .252 OBP and Frazier has forgot hot to hit posting a .181/.241/.264/.504 line during the no offense period.

Ludwick and Todd carried the team when Votto went down, Luddy hasn't been that hot since but still solid and Frazier is totally lost hitting under .200 with 1 HR and 6 RBI over his last 104 PA.

texasdave
10-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Winning percentage in games in which the team did not hit a home run:

TEAM PCT.
SFG .500
CIN .409
ATL .385
WSN .370
STL .358

Runs per game in games in which the team did not hit a home run:

TEAM RPG
SFG 3.56
STL 3.30
CIN 2.73
WSN 2.67
ATL 2.40

Giants have the highest winning percentage and score the most runs per game without benefit of the long ball. Eek.

Maker_84
10-02-2012, 07:48 PM

which is why not upgrading the offense at the deadline was a bad non move.

HometownHero
10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Giants have the highest winning percentage and score the most runs per game without benefit of the long ball. Eek.

They don't have any choice since they have just 31 HR at home all season long and played 58 games at home without a HR this year. While looking at the game logs it found it interesting the Giants are just 54-49 vs RHP this year.

Maker_84
10-02-2012, 09:47 PM
pitching and defense is nice and gives u a chance at going far in the playoffs but you face teams that are gonna have equal pitching but also have much better offenses than yours then it puts alot of pressure on your pitching to deliver against a competent offense while the other pitcher is smooth sailing against a frail lineup

BluegrassRedleg
10-02-2012, 09:58 PM
There aren't any "much better" offenses, except for the Cardinals, IMO.

Every playoff team is flawed, which is why this season has been so wide-open.

Maker_84
10-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Reds are gonna have the worst offense in the postseason, only team remotely close is Atlanta

texasdave
10-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Remember when it was close to Joey Votto returning and people were worried about finding enough at-bats for all our hitters? Oops.

mivers176
10-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Not concerned, team earned a right to take a mental break with their play earlier in the season. Would you rather they be mashing the ball this last month and then go cold come playoff time? Team has been prepping for the playoffs the last few weeks tbh, and now that we actually have our manager back there in person everything is falling into place.

I think I saw a similar post by you in another topic- I agree they earned the right to take a mental break but I would think they would want to 'try' hard enough to keep winning games to have the #1 seed. Plus its not like when you walk to the plate you are taking such a mental break that you arent wanting to go up and have a good AB and hit the ball hard ... which hasnt been happening. I dont know- I'm torn on yeah they just arent trying as hard but as other replies have pointed out, aside from the major hot streak when Votto was OUT (surprisingly enough) we struggle pretty bad offensively for long periods of time and we are right in the middle of one now ...

mivers176
10-03-2012, 10:38 AM
The only way this takes off again is if Joey starts hitting for power and Ludwick and Bruce get hot behind him and BP gets on for them. Over the last month and a game we are scoring 2.96 RPG and just twice reaching 6 runs as a high point.

Votto has a .505 OBP over this period and we still aren't scoring, Ludwick has been down hurt for a chunk so hopefully he can stay healthy and get his swing back. Bruce is hitting .229 with a .288 OBP over the same period. Making matters worse is BP is at .200 with a .252 OBP and Frazier has forgot hot to hit posting a .181/.241/.264/.504 line during the no offense period.

Ludwick and Todd carried the team when Votto went down, Luddy hasn't been that hot since but still solid and Frazier is totally lost hitting under .200 with 1 HR and 6 RBI over his last 104 PA.

Those are some good points / numbers ... yeah I started the topic not to be negative b/c hell, its been a great season and fun to watch. I would just rather be clicking a little more. I guess we are going to have to hope for 0-1 runs allowed per game by the pitching staff to have a shot at advancing. Nothing wrong with it, post season play usually is more of a low scoring, tight one run games and I guess we have to be confident with our SP and RP. Just would be nice for the bats to be able to contribute a little more ...