PDA

View Full Version : Billy Hamilton officially moving to CF

40YrRedsFan
10-02-2012, 11:34 PM
I guess the Reds front office has finally seen enough of Drew Stubbs and have announced that Billy Hamilton will play CF in the Arizona Fall League and next year in the minors. They also said it does not mean Hamilton will be in the majors next year. That will be determined by his progress.

joshua
10-03-2012, 04:41 AM
I would hope they are confident enough to project him being with the big league club in 2014-15...but will they want to put up with another year or two of Stubbs in CF? I'd hope not. There has to be someone out there who believes they can fix him and we can get a AAA arm out of him.

So, do the Reds sign a one year deal for a stop gap CF or do they give Heisey a year there and see what he can do while Hamilton develops? I'd be comfortable with either in 2013...and not comfortable at all with giving Stubbs a chance for his fourth consecutive 160+ strikeout season.

Ironman92
10-03-2012, 05:52 AM
So glad Hamilton was not in CF all year and didn't get 8-10 starts there in Sept.....no way could he match the current production or even provide a spark.

Red Raindog
10-03-2012, 07:15 AM
So glad Hamilton was not in CF all year and didn't get 8-10 starts there in Sept.....no way could he match the current production or even provide a spark.

are you chewing wacky weed again or is that your tongue in your cheek?

holster10
10-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Yeah, this means that everyone with the Reds, except for Dusty, has finally conceded Stubbs is a two tool player; defensive and K artist.

UK Reds Fan
10-03-2012, 09:56 AM
I guess this signals a few items.
1. I'd argue Reds will go Heisey/Stubbs (if they can't find a cheap LF platoon player somewhere) in CF to start 2013.
2. Billy hopefully adjust well defensively and can be 2nd half call up assuming CF play in Cincy is manned by the same 30% strikekout player with middling power.
3. I'd argue Cozart is his job and/or Gregrorius may be a long term plan at SS.

Not knowing the financials in detail but the contracts already on the books with Cueto, Bruce, Votto and Phillips and looming decisions on Latos, Bailey...the Reds may need to go with cheaper alternatives when guys like Stubbs, etc..start to get expensive in arbitration years.

Larkin88
10-03-2012, 11:08 AM

:sigh: :rolleyes:

People make it seem like Hamilton waltzed into the year being some undeniable offensive force. While his upside was (and still is) tremendous, he posted a .278/.340/.360 in 2011. In Dayton.

Could it be that the club wanted to continue working on his ability to improve contact, pitch recognition, and getting on base so his speed is even more of an asset? And not burden him with having to also convert to a new position defensively?

Not every facet of player development needs to happen parallel path.

Girevik
10-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Personally, I kind of hope Homer Baily taught the Reds' brass a lesson about rushing the new hotness to the big league level too quickly.

smixsell
10-03-2012, 12:49 PM

I assume you're being sarcastic (and totally agree with your point if you are).

Ironman92
10-03-2012, 08:28 PM
:sigh: :rolleyes:

People make it seem like Hamilton waltzed into the year being some undeniable offensive force. While his upside was (and still is) tremendous, he posted a .278/.340/.360 in 2011. In Dayton.

Could it be that the club wanted to continue working on his ability to improve contact, pitch recognition, and getting on base so his speed is even more of an asset? And not burden him with having to also convert to a new position defensively?

Not every facet of player development needs to happen parallel path.

??? 2011?

This is 2012....he completely dominated the minors from the onset this year....and once he was completely comfortable dominating try him in CF in AUGUST in the minors....get him 20 starts and try him up here as I said in September.

He's an electric spark that no one could match and would drive bullpens crazy late in games at worst....had he shown his ridiculous base running stuff and and found his way on base 3/10 times....improvement....but let's hold his hand until he's 23 because a 21 year old could never contribute to this offensive juggernaut.

There simply no way he could perform less than Stubbs.....if Hamilton did what he did at age 25 instead of 21...he'd play every inning regardless of anything, because....

Fast

Larkin88
10-04-2012, 12:07 PM
??? 2011?

This is 2012....he completely dominated the minors from the onset this year....and once he was completely comfortable dominating try him in CF in AUGUST in the minors....get him 20 starts and try him up here as I said in September.

He's an electric spark that no one could match and would drive bullpens crazy late in games at worst....had he shown his ridiculous base running stuff and and found his way on base 3/10 times....improvement....but let's hold his hand until he's 23 because a 21 year old could never contribute to this offensive juggernaut.

There simply no way he could perform less than Stubbs.....if Hamilton did what he did at age 25 instead of 21...he'd play every inning regardless of anything, because....

Fast

Thanks for clarifying. The point about 2011 was in reaction to what I read as you suggesting Billy should obviously have been playing center field all year. ("So glad Hamilton was not in CF all year and didn't get 8-10 starts there in Sept.....no way could he match the current production or even provide a spark") I think I misinterpreted what you meant by "all year" in light of your reply. Because at the start of the season, the Reds obviously didn't have 2012 numbers at their disposal from the future to decide where he should begin.

My point was that his offensive numbers last season (relevant at the start of the year) were not insanely spectacular and that the team may have hoped for improvement on that front (which they got) before adding the burden of learning a new defensive position (which they have since done in light of his 2012 season).

Regarding starting that conversion in August, though, they may have just wanted to let Billy continue to focus on breaking the stolen base record. Additionally, Didi had been promoted so they needed a SS for the Blue Wahoos. I guess I wasn't really surprised that they didn't try to switch defensive positions at the end of a season, since that rarely happens in player development with top prospects. Much less ones chasing a historic record at the time. Or if you are expecting him to then play that position in the playoffs six weeks later after having never seen game action beyond AA.

Not going to get into the September call-up pro and con discussion again. There's been enough threads about that already and what's done is done. I don't disagree that he could have contributed, just disagree with the premise that everything tied to player development is as obvious as you try to make it sound.

I get it. You don't like Stubbs. Lots of threads about that too.

Larkin88
10-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I assume you're being sarcastic

Very safe assumption.

Ironman92
10-04-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm glad the Blue Wahoos had a SS.

Sorry 5 straight years of atrocious CFers bothers me.

DocRed
10-05-2012, 10:22 AM
As long as he can maintain a batting ave of .213 or better he will be well qualified to play CF and bat 2nd under Dusty Baker.

Bob Sheed
10-05-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm glad the Blue Wahoos had a SS.

Sorry 5 straight years of atrocious CFers bothers me.

What bugs me is Stubbs' refusal to change his approach.

Can't wait til "Willie Mays" Stubbs gets traded to the Indians.

...yes that was a Major League reference. :D

alwaysawarrior
10-05-2012, 02:31 PM
What bugs me is Stubbs' refusal to change his approach.

Can't wait til "Willie Mays" Stubbs gets traded to the Indians.

...yes that was a Major League reference. :D

Stubbs has changed his approach this year I believe. Which has actually made him worse. The bottom line Stubbs is not a very good hitter right now, and doesn't appear to have the pitch recognition to ever become one.

goreds2
10-15-2012, 10:06 PM
I say give him a shot next year. A few other younger players have made it big recently. (Do we have anything to lose but maybe some defense?)

I did not realize he is a switch hitter.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=hamilt002bil

Ironman92
10-15-2012, 10:13 PM
I say give him a shot next year. A few other younger players have made it big recently. (Do we have anything to lose but maybe some defense?)

I did not realize he is a switch hitter.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=hamilt002bil

June of 2015

alett12
10-18-2012, 11:49 AM
I would love to see Hamilton playing CF all year in AAA next season and maybe get a 40 roster call up in September if he does well. He was horrible in the field at SS and I can't wait to see him making the long runs in CF.