PDA

View Full Version : Joey Votto's OBP

RedsManRick
10-03-2012, 12:51 PM
I know Votto won't qualify for the batting title, but I think his season has been quite under-appreciated.

Among all players in MLB with at least 450 PA, Joey Votto has the best OBP at .471. The next highest guy is Joe Mauer at .415 folllowed by Prince Fielder and Buster Posey at .410. That's right, there is 1 player in baseball that has an OBP within 60 points of Joey Votto.

There are 38 guys who have an OBP with in 56 points of Joe Mauer. Or put differently, the gap between #1 and #2 is the same as the gap between #2 and #40.

That's nuts. It's the highest non-Bonds OBP among players with 450+ PA since Jason Giambi's steroid inflated .477 OBP in 2001. Including Votto's 2012, there have been 39 seasons by 15 players in MLB history where a player put up a .476 OBP or higher. Here's that list.

Player Seasons
Babe Ruth 9
Ted Williams 9
Barry Bonds 5
Rogers Hornsby 3
Mickey Mantle 2
Tris Speaker 2
Arky Vaughan 1
Edgar Martinez 1
Frank Thomas 1
Harry Heilmann 1
Jason Giambi 1
Joey Votto 1
Lou Gehrig 1
Norm Cash 1
Ty Cobb 1

That's a pretty impressive list. Now ask how many of those guys were gold glove defenders. Yeah, Joey Votto is pretty special.

dougdirt
10-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Joel Luckhupt had this stat yesterday: No one in baseball this year with at least 7 PA's has a higher OBP than Votto.

Red Rover
10-03-2012, 02:06 PM
He is a true artist, but that OBP has alot to due to the lineup construction.

Screwball
10-03-2012, 02:48 PM

No, the OBP has a lot to do with Joey Votto's exceptional talent as a batter. It might have a little to do with who's hitting around him.

Rojo
10-03-2012, 02:55 PM

Can they re-construct it to help Stubbs?

mbgrayson
10-03-2012, 03:10 PM
No, the OBP has a lot to do with Joey Votto's exceptional talent as a batter. It might have a little to do with who's hitting around him.
It does have something to do with the huge drop-off in hitting ability between Joey and those that hit behind him in the Reds lineup. Opposing teams would rather walk Joey than pitch to him, very often.

But that said, he is a great hitter, and also has a great eye for the strike zone.

Vottomatic
10-03-2012, 03:47 PM
If only he were hitting second. Hmmm. ;)

RedEye
10-03-2012, 04:20 PM

I don't follow this at all. How does the lineup construction contribute to Votto getting on base? I would wager if he got more pitches to hit, he'd still be getting on base, just in a different way.

Red Rover
10-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Votto has a career OBP of .416, I think the lineup helped to some degree in adding 60 points to that number. Don't get me wrong, He is still one of the best at getting on base.

camisadelgolf
10-03-2012, 07:00 PM
The lineup construction has a lot to do with Votto, and you can bet that his OBP would be even higher if he had Wilson Valdez behind him since he'd see even less strikes than he does already.