PDA

View Full Version : The excellence of Brandon Phillips

M2
10-07-2012, 02:26 AM
Shades of Eric Davis taking Dave Stewart deep from Phillips tonight. And then the diving save behind Votto. And then the big two out hit in the ninth.

I think that deserves a song.

That Dude - The High Decibels - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl9I-VVIUOU)

Brutus
10-07-2012, 02:32 AM
And his baserunning of avoiding the double play was an incredible play too. He was money tonight.

Cyclone792
10-07-2012, 02:34 AM
I was just thinking about the ED reference myself when looking back on the Phillips homer. Cueto goes down, we're feeling pretty uneasy and then Phillips takes Cain deep to give the Reds a lead they'd never surrender the rest of the game.

Tonight was Reds baseball. One down, 10 to go.

Tom Servo
10-07-2012, 02:35 AM
One of the most underrated players in baseball IMO, seeing as most (ie: non-Reds fans, and even some Reds fans) focus far more on issues involving his personality instead of production and skills.

VR
10-07-2012, 02:36 AM
I mentioned in the game thread.....a great night for a national television audience to see BP perform in the way that we always get to see him.

And a great post game interview, very classy.

TeamBoone
10-07-2012, 02:43 AM
One of the most underrated players in baseball IMO, seeing as most (ie: non-Reds fans, and even some Reds fans) focus far more on issues involving his personality instead of production and skills.

What's wrong with his personality? He's extremely personable and ALWAYS smiling.

George Foster
10-07-2012, 02:48 AM
He's the best player on our team, even with a healthy Joey Votto. Brandon is the best all around player. Defense, offense, showing up big in big time games.

HeatherC1212
10-07-2012, 02:50 AM
Twitter went nuts after his Matrix move to avoid the tag (other team's players were totally geeking out over it :D) and I loved it too! What a great night for Brandon! :jump:

Tom Servo
10-07-2012, 02:51 AM
What's wrong with his personality? He's extremely personable and ALWAYS smiling.
I'm completely with you. But I'm sure you have seen or heard the comments. "Arrogant", "thug", "punk", "liar", "race-baiter" and on a lesser level "show off", "hot dog", etc. Perhaps I should have been more clear and said 'perceived' personality.

traderumor
10-07-2012, 02:54 AM
:thumbup:

VR
10-07-2012, 02:55 AM
I'm completely with you. But I'm sure you have seen or heard the comments. "Arrogant", "thug", "punk", "liar", "race-baiter" and on a lesser level "show off", "hot dog", etc. Perhaps I should have been more clear and said 'perceived' personality.

Yes, I have to defend him continually to my baseball buddies. That's the perception of many non-Reds fans, and obviously....completely wrong.

RedEye
10-07-2012, 03:33 AM
He's the best player on our team, even with a healthy Joey Votto. Brandon is the best all around player. Defense, offense, showing up big in big time games.

Disagree. A healthy Votto is a GG 1B with a 1.05 OPS. Brandon is super good, but Joey is a truly elite all-around player.

That said, great night tonight by BP. Very glad to see him shine on a big stage.

CrackerJack
10-07-2012, 04:02 AM
I don't see the point in direct comparisons, but Phillips should leave here being the best franchise player since Larkin. It's a privilege to watch him play, possibly the most entertaining player in the game for years now. He loves the attention and pressure, thrives on it. He carried that team tonight like Eric Davis.

fearofpopvol1
10-07-2012, 04:05 AM
An incredible trade by Krivsky when you think about what was given up. The thing that I admire the most about Phillips is that since the very beginning, he's always wanted to be with the Reds. He's continued echoing that, even when the team was bad. Truly loyal to Cincinnati.

Oh yeah, and he's been a very good player. Outside of his first year in Cincinnati, he's averaged around 4 wins every season since.

I was for the extension, though I wasn't sure about that last year, but you know what, if Phillips continues playing the way he has, it will easily be worth it.

cincinnati chili
10-07-2012, 05:34 AM
Tremendous game for Brandon. Bruce wasn't too bad either.

Topcat
10-07-2012, 06:14 AM
"some" had him traded of due to fact he was becoming expensive.................. just sayin.

RedEye
10-07-2012, 08:31 AM
if Phillips continues playing the way he has, it will easily be worth it.

I think everyone pretty much agrees about that. The question is whether he will or not...

Raisor
10-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Money. He was money.

hebroncougar
10-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Heck, if Jeter would have made the play Phillips made backing up a base, we'd hear about it for the next 10 years. I haven't watched ESPN, are they gaga over it?

REDREAD
10-08-2012, 11:59 AM
"some" had him traded of due to fact he was becoming expensive.................. just sayin.

Well, we did have Negron and Henry Rodriguez coming up through the system, those could've been adequate replacements.. (kidding :laugh: )

mattfeet
10-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Heck, if Jeter would have made the play Phillips made backing up a base, we'd hear about it for the next 10 years. I haven't watched ESPN, are they gaga over it?

I think you answered your own question. :p

NJReds
10-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Not to mention that if Jeter had made that play, and the play where he avoided the tag on the double play in the same game, Bristol, Conn. would've just shut down and declared a new holiday ... Jeter Intangibles Day.

cumberlandreds
10-08-2012, 01:05 PM
I was just thinking about the ED reference myself when looking back on the Phillips homer. Cueto goes down, we're feeling pretty uneasy and then Phillips takes Cain deep to give the Reds a lead they'd never surrender the rest of the game.

Tonight was Reds baseball. One down, 10 to go.

I just mentioned this in the gaem thread. I really got that same feeling I had back in 1990 when Davis hit that HR.

reds44
10-08-2012, 01:27 PM
It's easy to forget, but Phillips and Bruce were the two hitters in the NLDS in 2010 who were actually decent. Granted, they both had epic defensive gaffs in game 2 of that series.