PDA

View Full Version : Reds-related playoffs news

Kc61
10-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Maybe a good idea to have a thread just for playoff news. Two things I saw today.

First, Zito was named for game four, if there is a game 4. Not bad for the Reds, they do well against lefties. He didn't have a super year, 4.15 ERA pitching in SF. Righties hit Zito for a .823 OPS this year.

Second, Jamie Garcia is out on the DL, won't be available for NLCS. He was hot for awhile there. If the Reds play the Cards, this could be a meaningful development.

Feel free to sticky this thread, or not.

George Anderson
10-09-2012, 01:53 PM
I am not sure if it has been mentioned but Tom Browning is throwing out the first pitch tonight.

traderumor
10-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I am not sure if it has been mentioned but Tom Browning is throwing out the first pitch tonight.I hope his arm doesn't break in the middle of the pitch ;)

George Anderson
10-09-2012, 02:15 PM
I hope his arm doesn't break in the middle of the pitch ;)

The grounds crew may need to draw a straight white line from the dugout to the mound so Tom knows where to go. ;)

PuffyPig
10-09-2012, 02:35 PM
I am not sure if it has been mentioned but Tom Browning is throwing out the first pitch tonight.

I hope it's not hit for a HR to give the Giants the early lead.

I assumed that today's starter, Homer Bailey, would make the first pitch. Is this something new?

Kc61
10-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Same Reds lineup for Game 3. Stubbs eighth, same thing.

No changes for Giants either.

George Anderson
10-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I hope it's not hit for a HR to give the Giants the early lead.

I assumed that today's starter, Homer Bailey, would make the first pitch. Is this something new?

Yes it is a long time Cincy tradition that a former player will pitch to the first batter. If I recall correctly I think it was either Jim Maloney or Joey Jay who pitched to the first batter in the 75' WS. :beerme:

I hope Browning does well.

traderumor
10-09-2012, 03:19 PM
The way the Giants have been hitting, I expect him to get a weak grounder to short from Pagan.

redhawkfish
10-09-2012, 03:57 PM
I hope his arm doesn't break in the middle of the pitch ;)

Worse yet, hopefully Tim Teufel is not leading off for the Giants against Browning!:D

mattfeet
10-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Tom Groeschen ‏@TomGroeschen

RT @Hydeman3: any feeling from Dusty about his future beyond winning the world series?//Seems he will return

camisadelgolf
10-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Even if Baker and the Reds had an agreement in place, it probably wouldn't be announced until after the playoffs anyway. I'm thinking they pretty much have it worked out already. It's because of Castellini that Baker is here in the first place.

cinreds21
10-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Not news, but a question. Aroldis pitched exclusively from the stretch tonight. I haven't notice him doing that lately. Has anyone?

thatcoolguy_22
10-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Bad Reds related news... Cueto removed from roster

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8485694/2012-nlds-cincinnati-reds-go-mike-leake-game-4-injured-johnny-cueto-source-says

NEXT VIDEO Giants Vs. Reds Game 4 PreviewGiants Vs. Reds Game 4 PreviewBaseball Tonight looks ahead to game 4 between the Giants and the Reds.Tags: MLB, San Francisco Giants, Cincinnati Reds
Breaking Down The Giants' Game 3 WinBreaking Down The Giants' Game 3 WinBaseball Tonight break down the Giants' win over the Reds in game 3.Tags: MLB, San Francisco Giants, Cincinnati RedsWith right-hander Johnny Cueto ruled out of Game 4 of the NLDS, the Cincinnati Reds have decided to start Mike Leake, a source told ESPN's Bob Holtzman on Wednesday.

Mat Latos had been an option to start against San Francisco Giants starter Barry Zito, but he pitched four innings of relief in Game 1. He replaced Cueto who threw just eight pitches before leaving with what initially was called back spasms but has since been described by the team as a mild right oblique strain.

Electing to start Leake means Cueto will be removed from the team's roster and can't return until the World Series, should the Reds advance that far.

CySeymour
10-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Fay just tweeted:

#Reds confirm it is Leake. Cueto off roster.

westofyou
10-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Fay just tweeted:

#Reds confirm it is Leake. Cueto off roster.

Good, time to move on.

See ya in the World Series JC

thatcoolguy_22
10-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Good, time to move on.

See ya in the World Series JC

Well said. As of late Homer has stepped up and become another ace anyways.

Edskin
10-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Absolutely the right move. Don't panic and start changing everything up. Trust that Leake can at least match Zito... And now if we lose today, tomorrow doesn't feel like a death march. Cueto's injury put us in a bad spot, but they made the right call.

jojo
10-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Here's some important news....As of 8pm central time on October 10th, the Reds have NOT been eliminated from the playoffs.

Kc61
10-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Regular Reds playoff lineup today.

Good luck Reds fans!

jojo
10-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Legends are made in games like we get to watch the Reds play in today.

corkedbat
10-11-2012, 12:52 PM
In the totally pointless factoid of the day:

The Kentucky Wildcats basketball team won the NCAA Basketball National Championship for the first time in 1948. The following fall, the Cleveland Indians won the World Series. Since then, the Wildcats have won seven more NC's (1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, 1998, and 2012) and in all but 2012, the New York Yankees have won the ensuing World Series.

The Yanks are still alive, but it would be nice to see the Reds break that odd streak this season.